Does it even have to run?

Brass is Best

Some cars are so important or historical they are no longer automobiles. They have become something more. So I ask does it even have to run? Or have these cars become sculpture and hold their value without having to turn over? Bugatti Royale, General Motors LeSabre concept, The Ford Quadricycle... Probably many others as well.

sj7.jpg

35009393600_83baa0de8b_b.jpg

THF90760.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting but in the case of the top two at least, they do run and run well!  I'd prefer to see any of these cars do what they originally were intended to do but sometimes that is not possible.  A group of us wanted to get the 1897 Oldsmobile that the Smithsonian owns running for the 100th anniversary of Oldsmobile.  Despite the expertise in the group that was not permitted and although I was disappointed I understood why the Museum said no.

• Like 3

I totally agree with what Steve says that these cars should do what they were originally intended to do, but like the Liberty Bell - how often to you ring that and not figure that perhaps it will damage the object so future generations will not have it? Cars may be a bit different but if you look at something from the standpoint of a "preservationist" it depends upon the object. I am also the appointed historian for the village I live in and there is a collection of period material that although we like to share with the residents we can't just pass around to be looked at. I think if something like the Oldsmobile in the Smithsonian had its 100th anniversary and competent and qualified people can be available to make it run , then it should be done. It honors the machine and respects the ingenuity of R.E. Olds.

• Like 2

ONLY 1!  We had real experts who wanted to carefully try to get it running and we were going to go through extraordinary efforts to ensure nothing happened but could not get approval to even attempt.  It just seemed like the perfect 100th anniversary project getting this running after 100 years.  It is now in a climate controlled case. 

• Like 1

ANY car that doesn't run and never will again just burns my a**. I understand taking a treasured piece of history and respecting it, but is a car really a car if it will never run again or see the road? I think not........with the 1897 olds, starting it and running it around the parking lot would have been fine........how is anyone going to be interested in all this stuff if they cant play with it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

What would inspire the younger generation of collectors or possible collectors more then  to see something like that go for a drive around the parking lot? Hear it run, see the wheels turn. Just because it is old and needs to be preserved for all time doesn't mean it should be in a glass display just for observation. Heck if that was the law then a lot of the people reading this would be inside a glass case on exhibit not allowed to preserve things as they were made and intended to be used. Do the people that make the decisions value their status to do so , so highly, that they can decide who is and who isn't going to enjoy that object?

About 200 feet away from our spots at Hershey in the north eastern corner of the Red field a fellow had a really great green International high wheeler, a fairly large machine , solid tires, wood wheels, and he would start it up and load it with friends and take them for a ride. THAT is history at its very BEST .

• Like 3

As I remind people in my showroom all the time--they're just cars. It's their destiny to be outside, on the road, getting bugs and dirt on them. It's what they want to do. 

On the other hand, I know of a Boss 302 Mustang that has a crank, but no rods or pistons inside its numbers-matching engine block. Can't risk blowing it up, you know. Pushed everywhere it goes. That poor car must be miserable.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I really don't care if a car runs or not, Pebble Beach quality or unrestored 1897 Oldsmobile, not my car, and you can bet the ranch I'll never get an offer to drive it. I'd turn down the offer if given, I don't want to be at the controls when it blows up. However, I'm always interested in a vintage engine from a famous race car being the centerpiece of a clone that can be seen rolling around a race track again. Bob 

I have a 68 year old dragster that looks original but does not run.

Friends want me to put in running condition for a cackle fest but I think that it is a waste of time. 

A lot of work and money for some noise for a few minutes.

I just enjoy looking at it and occasionally showing it.

Ps, I wanted to run it in an old dragster event but they said it goes too fast.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Making a car run and driving it is a great deal different then touring or racing it. More power to the guy who is willing to restore, tour and then restore again. For many of us it comes down to keeping our show cars in show condition, and driving our tour cars. At 74 yo I don't have the years left, resources, or the energy to do it any other way. 

Depends on how many cars you have. I have always had space in the corner of the gage for something that might never run again just because I like to sit and look at it.

010.thumb.JPG.204de4bf9c386f6db2a9a578daed6f06.JPG

008.thumb.jpg.31250cf0389ca106fcd860cd72722577.jpg

There will be more. I do lean toward the projects for ornaments, though.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

All my stuff, which is not much compared to what many of you on this forum have, was what you would call today the driver participation class level.  Driving it was my goal.  I did the neighborhood car show stuff and even won a few trophies in the process but never tried to get close to something that would be Hershey level.  I can’t say they weren’t trailered as my 1964 Vespa 125 and my 1970 Yamaha 90cc cycles were SLOW so a trailer ride to a show was necessary.

My 1937 Dodge truck was not much better than the motorcycles but it was driven to the shows it attended.  You just could not be in a hurry to get there.  The 1964 Plymouth Belvedere I had was no issue as it could handle highway traffic.  At times it felt too modern but it sure was nice to drive without a parade behind me.

There are some excellent cars out there that can justify being like artwork in a museum and worthy of living a life of display only.  However, that is never the dream I ever could see me having.  I like cars that are driven and used and I admire those who do the same.  If you have lots of dollars and years of work in your car and you choose not to drive it that’s fine too.  It’s yours to enjoy any way you see fit.  Posting pictures of your cars ensures all of us get to see and enjoy them.  Just remember that goes for the works in progress too!

• Like 1

The movement, smells, and sounds of a piece of equipment are just as much a part of its history as its appearance. Standing by a motionless object wondering what it sounded like, or what had to be done to have it running detracts greatly from the experience. I think the guys that collect and run stationary engines have it right. The experience is in the running!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, zipdang said:

The movement, smells, and sounds of a piece of equipment are just as much a part of its history as its appearance. Standing by a motionless object wondering what it sounded like, or what had to be done to have it running detracts greatly from the experience. I think the guys that collect and run stationary engines have it right. The experience is in the running!

The museum at which I work at is not a car museum but has several very early cars (Benz Motorwagon, Ford quadricycle, steam Locomobile and a couple of highwheelers) .  They do not want a speck of grease or oil to be seen anywhere.  This probably accelerates the deterioration of these old cars.  I always figured the reason everything British leaked oil was for corrosion protection in the humid British climate.

4 hours ago, keninman said:

Sometimes it is too dangerous to make something run again. Imagine watching the Kee Bird burn after all of the man hours and work to get her into the air again. 

But it almost worked. "It is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all" Alfred Lord Tennyson. One of the saddest documentaries you can watch. They were so close.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 3

A stationary car triggers emotion, dreams, and diversion that usually get the endorphins flowing. A good session of psychotherapy will run $150-$200 on the low side. For me, an inoperative $3,000 to $4,000 project car every year or two keeps me close to home and out of trouble. Good for mental health.

Those iconic cars in the first post need to be capable of running to establish their value but just as a reference.

That Bugatti displayed in the Ford museum was sitting idle in a Long Island junkyard for a while, much better sitting where it is now. And once you have looked over that Bugatti you can walk across the room and look at kitchens where nobody cooks and a couple of railroad engines on pretty short tracks

Bernie

While I can see works of art or special interest cars in museums, it is doubtful that I will ever own one. Mine each are driven regularly and each has a specific purpose (well not so sure about the Reatta Convertible any more, have grown to appreciate retractibles.)

Am also Scots. Most recent car I bought was less than a GF's iPhone.

Back around 1976 I bought a FIAT 124 Spyder that suited me very well. DOHC 4 cyl with a 5 speed trans (my first with more than 4). Top you could drop with one hand. Cruised all over the Rockies and the Grand Canyon and never missed a beat. That car suited me very well.

New one is a 2000 SLK230 (10/99 build so last century). Looks good, runs and drives but needs some interior and hydraulic work. No big. Qualifies for collector car policy. DOHC 4 and a five speed plus is a retractable with AC.  Maybe the next one I buy when just old and keep until passes 25. Judge was that way when I bought it. $600 gas guzzler.

At the same time I understand the resto-mod scene. After driving a modern coupe with rack & pinion front, multilink posi IRS. Set cruise at 70ish and just point at the horizon (Florida is a big state with isolated clusters of population and miles and miles of straight roads. (Still about 100 miles of turnpike south of Orlando metro with one exit, Yeehaw Junction. Has a big curve from SE to S approaching Ft. Pierce) it is hard to go back to cars that you do not steer so much as aim and current tech provides over 300 hp on 87 PON. Have always been a sucker for a DOHC 6.

passide800.jpg

15 hours ago, keninman said:

Sometimes it is too dangerous to make something run again. Imagine watching the Kee Bird burn after all of the man hours and work to get her into the air again. 

That's really a shame and I can imagine the heartache, but not doing something you enjoy because something like that might happen to it is like saying, "I don't want to go out of the house because I might get hit by a bus today." I"m not going to live my life worrying about maybes and unknown futures. Life is too short. I can always get more "things" but I can never get more time. I would rather spend as much of that finite resource putting a smile on my face than fretting about unknown dangers and diminished values.

I wrote about it elsewhere, but I just had a very good friend pass away and he bought a car from me TWO WEEKS before he died. He sure as hell wasn't expecting it. It can all vanish just like that. Why waste those precious moments you do have trapped in a feedback loop of consternation? Why preserve your car for the next guy? A chip on a paint job or grime on the undercarriage is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Use it up and cross the finish line with the tires, engine, and radiator smoking. 

Time. It's the only thing we can't get more of. Everything else is worthless in comparison, including these relics we cherish.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Mike Macartney said:

Tell these Bugatti owners and the spectators they can only see these cars pushed to the grid and not started ....

1464673834_goodwood-bugattissmall.jpg.b92178428b8f84b6333063ed58af451c.jpg

…. and you may have a revolt!

Vintage race cars are a bit of a special case. I am not speaking about Bugatti's specifically however I believe they probably generally conform to my experience with newer cars.

Extremely original examples of these cars are not generally raced. They might be on display in the paddock and perhaps even make a couple of parade laps but they are almost never used in a situation where damage might occur. They are for the most part museum pieces , especially if they have important history in their past. 

The examples that are vintage raced generally have a substantial amount of recently constructed material.  At the extreme end of this there are a few cars that have almost nothing remaining of the original car other than perhaps the constructors I.D. plate, and even with that there is no sure thing.  Lola's, Mclaren's, Brabham's, Lotus 23's and the like.

As long as a skeleton of the original crashed, burned , buried , tossed in the ocean etc . car remains someone will rebuild it to track ready condition. But the finished product is really a modern re-creation of a historic machine and racing them does not really risk damage to a historic artifact. In my experience the artifact quality examples are rarely actually raced.

It's an old joke however quite true. " Of the 150 Lotus 23's built only about 400 still exist."

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

I always think of the two friends who partnered to restore a very rare  Testarossa  race car, that the older gentlemen had raced in the 50's. The car owner provided the work space and much of what was needed to do the restoration. The second individual provided the skill, and the work force to do the job. For this he was set up in business and got a share of the car. When the work was done the car achieved the first goal while winning it's class at Pebble Beach. The car was then raced in a vintage race, much to the chagrin of the restorer, because he knew that it would take hundreds of hours of hard work to bring the car back to top shape. That assuming that it was not wrecked during the race. The car survived, the work done, the car sold because there would never be an accord on what the car should be.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

Go easy on us industrial designers.

I love industrial design, but when a car is restored and no longer functions as intended it becomes an industrial design, static display.  My favorite part of a car show is watching the cars leave the show field under their own power, having to accelerate on to the road.  I don't enjoy seeing a non-running car being winched onto a trailer from it's display location.  Thus, it should be displayed in a proper museum setting and not at a car show.  BTW, really like your driving sales videos, because the cars are in motion.

5 hours ago, 61polara said:

I love industrial design, but when a car is restored and no longer functions as intended it becomes an industrial design, static display.  My favorite part of a car show is watching the cars leave the show field under their own power, having to accelerate on to the road.  I don't enjoy seeing a non-running car being winched onto a trailer from it's display location.  Thus, it should be displayed in a proper museum setting and not at a car show.  BTW, really like your driving sales videos, because the cars are in motion.

Dave,

Thank you. We believe all our cars should function as they should. We work very hard to sort them out. Thank you for watching the videos. 

Andy

On 11/2/2018 at 7:17 PM, old car fan said:

Well someone on this forum ,sorry I can't remember his name at the moment,but he said,if you can't drive it,collect clocks,I agree

That was me.  I believe it too.  Today, I'm leading our groups annual Leaf Peeper Tour

around the back roads of the Smoky Mountains.   I laying it out the other day, we found quite a few un-restored relics awaiting somebody to make them run again.

Maybe tomorrow I can post some fall color photos with happy drivers enjoying what 

makes this such a great hobby.