Lottery winnings

Buick35

I'm really glad I found this forum because the cars for sale section is the first place I'll go to when I hit it big in the lottery. Either a large classic thirties car or a nice big brass touring car, what the heck, I'll get both! I even thought a steam car would be cool. Greg.

• Like 2

1920's or earlier Indian Motorcycle

Black Dues Torpedo Phaeton 

1930 DC 8 Roadster with RS and Golf Bag storage

Graham Bros GBOY for farm truck unrestored

1000 Acres in Alpine AZ

40,000 SF machine shop fully insulated and loaded

500 SF one room log cabin - In that order :D

• Like 2

Having been born and raised in the United States of America, I have already “won” the lottery by anyone’s definition. Money is just a tool, and while important and centeral to all our lives, living in the greatest country that has ever existed at this time in history is better than any monetary windfall. That being said, would you like to know my lotto numbers? ?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Buick35 said:

I'm really glad I found this forum because the cars for sale section is the first place I'll go to when I hit it big in the lottery. Either a large classic thirties car or a nice big brass touring car, what the heck, I'll get both! I even thought a steam car would be cool. Greg.

Excellent choices.

I remember seeing the odds printed on the back

of a friend's Lotto ticket, and I calculated they are

the same as the following:

Pick a date between now and the end of World War II.

Guess the month, the day, and the year.

Now also guess the correct hour and minute, A.M. or P.M., on that date.

For example, February 3, 1949, 12:47 P. M.

If you can guess correctly that very minute that occurred

in the last 70-plus years, those are the odds you have.

"Someone's going to win--it might as well be you."

"Think what you'd do with the money."

Lotteries work because huge odds are difficult to comprehend.

And at the donut shop I visit occasionally (no more than once every ten days), a daily customer is a retired gent who buys one donut and a cup of coffee, and take all the change from a $20 bill in lottery tickets.  Say $17/day x 365 days per year = $6, 205 per year......

14 minutes ago, Grimy said:

And at the donut shop I visit occasionally (no more than once every ten days), a daily customer is a retired gent who buys one donut and a cup of coffee, and take all the change from a $20 bill in lottery tickets.  Say $17/day x 365 days per year = $6, 205 per year......

Maybe he replaced smoking with Lottery tickets, could you please do the math on that addiction?

9 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

I'd be happy winning enough to finish the house and yard, and restore everything I have now. Crew cab Ford and enclosed trailer and the best restored Type 37A Bugatti and 8C2300 Alfa.  Bob

Just an 8C 2300? I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 8C 2900.

Greg

18 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Maybe he replaced smoking with Lottery tickets, could you please do the math on that addiction?

Sure!  One pack a day in The Pipples' Republik of Caleeforneeya is $8.75/day x 365 days/year = $3,194 per year, a little more than half what he's spending on the lottery.

On the other hand, in the immortal words of Ambrose Bierce, "A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke!"

• Like 1

I spent all my money on whisky, women, and Pierce Arrows, and never wasted a cent! Don’t ask which one was the most expensive, or was the best return on the dollar! ???

• Like 1

I already wasted too much money on the lotteries. If I could have back every dollar I ever spent on lottery tickets in the past thirty years? I might have enough to buy one new tire for my model T! (In other words, I never spent much on lotteries, because I understand the odds.) I did sometimes decide a lottery ticket was a better buy than that ice cream I really shouldn't eat anyway..

One thing most people do not understand. "The odds of winning the lottery". Certainly, the best bet? Is not to waste even a single dollar, ever. But it is fun to dream. And a dollar now and then instead of that ice cream or potato chips, is alright (I guess)?. However, beyond that one dollar bet? What about choosing five, ten, or a hundred tickets for a given drawing? FORGET IT!!!! 

Odds of course vary from lottery to lottery, depending on the twists and turns of five numbers? Or six? Out forty? Fifty? Sixty? Or some combination of a few numbers plus a mystical magic "other" number? So, for the sake of discussion, let us say that the odds of winning a given drawing are one in twenty million (for a single ticket)?  What are the odds of winning if one were to buy two tickets?  Would you say one in ten million? You would be totally wrong wrong wrong! The simple way to say it, is that the odds are two in twenty million. But what does that mean in the real world?

First and foremost, that "odds of winning" at "one in twenty million" is a nice easy to say "round" number. The real odds are something like "1 in 20,987,654" (number given just a random choice for the sake of discussion). So, how much do the odds change with each ticket added to the previous ticket? That real number is difficult to explain, and it has been a long time since I actually ran those numbers. Suffice to say, the change is very small, sort of a sliding scale that begins at somewhat less than one, and grows larger as many more masses of numbers are added. So, the first ticket is "1 in 20,987,654" the second ticket is about "1 in 20,987,653 2/3" (actual odds shift varies depending on the specifics of the original computation based upon number of numbers and "magic" numbers). But that is also only part of the real world way such things work.

In simple round numbers, for the sake of discussion, the odds of one ticket winning are about one in twenty million. Guess what. That one didn't win. So what are the round number odds of the second ticket winning? Also one in twenty million. That one didn't win, so what are the odds of the third ticket winning?  (Okay, lets skip ahead a bit.) What are the odds of the one hundredth ticket winning? Still one in roughly twenty million. Whether you buy one ticket? Or a hundred? The odds of you winning with ANY of them are roughly one in twenty million. 

So, IF you wish to play? Invest (squander?) a buck instead of munching on those potato chips your waistline does not need? Buy ONE ticket. Hey! Your odds of winning jump from zippo to one in twenty million for a buck. However, unless you wish (and can afford) to buy more than a million tickets at once! Any additional tickets you buy do not increase your real chance of winning by more than the proverbial gnat's eyelash.

And if you do buy a million tickets all at once? You still have an ninety five percent probability of losing nearly all of your money. Give THAT a few minutes thought.

If your chances of picking exactly the right combination of a finite number of possible sequential variables (1 in 20 million being the example) , then in fact 2 kicks at the can does give you an overall 1 in 10 million chance. Your last sentence , the 95% chance of taking a haircut , by definition implies that you have a 5% chance to prevail. 

But O.K. As long as I'm up I'll play. Just play now , I have never bought a lottery ticket in my life. I seldom engage in a game of chance , less even so as I age. Overall , however I have quit while I am ahead. If you add up all monetary wagers I have made , in Nevada , Sports bets , nags , cockfights , cards , The Immaculate Conception, (thank you , John Houston for your tip on how to gag a boorish a'hole) , the early realization of the proclivities of Rod Steiger's character in "The Sargent" , and so on , I have come out somewhat to the good. Alright , in some alternate universe , I played and won the lottery. And since we are in FANTASYLAND , you all know what I would run and do. Go wherever in the World "my" 1930 Mercedes-Benz SS 38/250 is and make the present fortunate owner an offer he couldn't refuse. Only way I can actually win is that I would like to see it one more time before I check in at the check out counter.  Chassis no.36260. Engine no. 77633.

Anyone know where it is ?  Thanks,.  - Carl 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, mercer09 said:

A LOTTERY IS A TAX ON PEOPLE WHO FAILED MATH.

except that, my cousin won 20 years ago.................. who cares about math?

And is the typical lottery winner still ahead, after years of spending on lottery tickets?

Does the winning satisfy his desire, or does it addict him even further to the lottery?

Does the typical winner save and invest his winnings, so that the money is many times

larger years later?

Mercer, we wish your cousin well and hope he has avoided the pitfalls so common

to other lottery winners.  However, sorry to say, the few winners don't

disprove the mathematics.

First thing would be a big garage with attached house!  And a few cars to put in the garage of course.  One would have to be a red with white top 1955 Chevy Nomad.  Always wanted to own one. After that it would be hard to say, probably a collection of orphan makes as most of them are overlooked for restoration due to cost.  Giving some of the money deserving causes would be high up on the list too as many have helped me during my life.  Looking at my current physical condition that prevents me from driving a car makes this whole discussion quite unusual but cars can be art so that can justify ownership.

Since I never buy lottery tickets it would be Devine intervention if I do win!

Terry

I don't buy lottery tickets either, but if I did and won this would be my plan.

First I would need to design and build a new 12 car garage to fit our daily drivers in the current 3 car garage and have space for a vintage fleet with a few open spaces for future expansion.

Personally I am not into the big 1930s classics so here is what I would add:

1916 Scripps-Booth Chummy roadster.

1924 - 27 Buick touring

1931 Chevrolet 5 passenger coupe

1941 Graham Hollywood

1955 MGTF 1500

1963 Corvette fuel injected 327 Split Window coupe

1967 Austin Healey 3000

I put about 2500 Yen in the one armed bandits at the Yokosuka Enlisted Men's Club close to 50 years ago. Then in 1994 I put 20 bucks in the machine at Trump's Palace during the February car auction. Of the 20, I brought back four silver dollars; 1 each for my Wife, two Kids, and a Friend. I still haven't bought a lottery ticket.

Bernie

Guest alleyyooper

I don't buy lottery tickets but have a sister in law who buys every one for their birthday one lottery ticket and one scratch off.

I would if i were to win buy a building large enough and hire some talented people to restore cars for people. People like my self that have a old car they love but done have a $100,00 to restore it to like new.

I would not care if the car was a old Henery J or a 64 Mercury Montclair.

Even restore some ones old tractor would be great.

:D           Al

10 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I put about 2500 Yen in the one armed bandits at the Yokosuka Enlisted Men's Club close to 50 years ago. Then in 1994 I put 20 bucks in the machine at Trump's Palace during the February car auction. Of the 20, I brought back four silver dollars; 1 each for my Wife, two Kids, and a Friend. I still haven't bought a lottery ticket.

Bernie

Huh? You mean there was an enlisted men`s club in Yokosuka? Guess I was too busy roaming the streets. USS Midway early `71..

I will admit I buy lottery tickets but not regularly. Usually $4 at a time. If I won I would give a large percentage to St Jude’s children’s hospital and the Shriner’s children’s hospital. Then I would buy a 54 Chevy Belair, a 57 DeSoto, a 60 Chevy Impala conv, a 62 T-bird, a 68 Dodge Charger, a 60 Austin Healey, a 74 MGB GT, a 260 a 280 and a 300 Datsun. These are all the cars of my youth. Maybe I’m just trying to fulfill the prophecy of going from a kid to a man to a kid again. But it sure would be fun. Now if I could just remember that cheer leaders number......

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I'll buy a lottery ticket every now and then, but look at it like I look at playing blackjack in Vegas...it's entertainment, and if it costs a little so what (and I don't play blackjack but once every five years or so!).

Best advice I've ever heard, if you win a big lottery prize.....make a list of all your family and friends, the ones that are closest to you and mean the most....get them all together, take them (and you too of course!) to the best medical facility in the country, and have complete physicals/workups done.  If any problems are found, pay for treatment, surgery, whatever it takes to make them as healthy as possible.  Repeat every five years. 

Now that you've taken car of your family and friends, move on to your other wishes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

I'll buy a lottery ticket every now and then, but look at it like I look at playing blackjack in Vegas...it's entertainment, and if it costs a little so what...

Your plan for the remote chance of winning is very generous, David.

But I think that lotteries condition people's thought for

expecting to get something for nothing.

People truly get prosperous, and stay prosperous,

through great ideas and sincere effort.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Your plan for the remote chance of winning is very generous, David.

But I think that lotteries condition people's thought for

expecting to get something for nothing.

People truly get prosperous, and stay prosperous,

through great ideas and sincere effort.

I agree, there are people who sincerely think that winning the lottery is a successful retirement plan.  I further agree that becoming prosperous is rarely an accident, and is a result of what you do in life. 

I've seen examples of people getting oodles of money just by being in the right place at the right time, or meeting just the right person at the right time, but that's the exception, not the rule.

The other unfortunate aspect of lotteries is all the money it takes out of the wallets of people who have precious little money to start with.  We are all fortunate to be somewhat comfortable, or we wouldn't be discussing the hobby of old cars and talking about the cars we own. 

I call it entertainment, because I can afford a few dollars every now and then, and it's interesting to see if any numbers match at all.  I can assure you though that it plays no part in my retirement funding!

My lottery plan for my Mega Millions win:  (I guess I need to buy a ticket sometime)

1.  Make a list of my lifelong friends and family / Create a shares system

2.  Create a Trust to manage it all.  Everyone in #1 is a $1,000,000 share owner.

3.  Take all share holders a group to claim the winnings.

4.  Continue to enjoy life with friends and family all wealthy enough to enjoy it with me,

avoiding the the problem of new friends based on my new wealth.

5.  My shares would be wasted on old cars, touring in them and other travel.  Charity, not to include

the AACA Museum.

The lottery helps pay for prescription drugs and bus transportation for seniors here in PA.  Certainly a noble cause but unfortunately at times at the expense of lottery players who would be better off spending that money on things they really need.  As mentioned by others most all of us here are blessed with some extra $$$ to spend on our hobby.  It's fun to dream of a life where we can buy any car, garage or home that we think will make us happy knowing that the chances of that happening are nil.  Now I have to get back to designing my ideal garage just in case someone drops off a big bag of money on my doorstep.