Lottery winnings

Buick35

On 4/8/2018 at 7:09 AM, 60FlatTop said:

I put about 2500 Yen in the one armed bandits at the Yokosuka Enlisted Men's Club close to 50 years ago.

Those were the good old days of 360 yen to the dollar, or all of slightly less than US$7.  What a player you were in those days, Bernie!  Today 2500 yen is US$23.25.

The local girls showed me the place and they put the 100 yen pieces in the machine. It was an old warlord's castle that had been seized after WWII. Once you got off the strip the hundred yen pieces were non-spendable. You needed 5 and 10 denominations. That's where we bought the fighting beetles.

I had an interesting memory a few years ago when the Fukushima incident hit the news. They said those plants were built around 1969 and '70. That was about the time protesters were demonstrating against the nuclear powered Enterprise coming into port. They didn't want anything nuclear near them. "Pay no attention to the building behind the curtain up the coast."

I guess there was a bigger gamble than mine going on.

Someday I might get to tell you how the young snipe with "book leaning" got the ship into port when the sea daddies trained on "the rocks and shoals" couldn't figure it out.

Bernie

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I have to be honest - I probably wouldn't buy a car that's too nice - or valuable - to drive. I know some people like Jay Leno drive their million dollar old cars around town, and that's great, but I could never do that, even if I was rich enough to do so. Even with my drivers I get a little anxious about other motorists. If I had a vintage perfect Rolls Royce with a $300,000 restoration I'd be thinking don't run into me lady all the time. The most beautiful car ever IMO is the Maserati A6GCS Berlinetta coupe, but I'd never want to own one. They're worth millions and too valuable. I'll stick with old post war Fords and Chryslers. 

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

On 4/7/2018 at 10:03 PM, 1912Staver said:

"An extra tax on the gullible."

We voted in "A Lottery",  most states ran with as many scratch off and quick picks as possible to "Supplement the Education Budget."   They cut the Education budget in lieu

of Lottery money.  Result:  the number of gullible went way up.   .

• Haha 1

So, the lotteries are claimed to fund state education. The state provides aid to districts based on the average income of the district residents. In a small, rural district a large lottery winner could increase the district average and reduce state aid to their own district, not that anything like that could ever happen. But there are "odds" that it could.

Bernie