"duh"... dumbest lines in for sale ads

Peter Gariepy

"Female Owned" - I get the implication, but what if she happens to drive like a nutcase??

Anyway I guess I am now a "Mature Owner" whose cars are "street driven only" or "never raced"

Above terms usually associated with a sports or muscle car, you would not want to accelerate or corner too quickly in one of those, would you???

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

My favorite was one that I saw once. The ad had apparently been running awhile. It read: "Since you people aren't buying, car is starting to rust".

Another is: "Needs carb rebuild. Cheap fix. $30 at Autozone"

Right. I got an idea. You fix it and I'll add $30 to the price of the car!

Guest Skyking
I'm always leery of "recent paint". a.k.a. shot over whatever was under there so it would be easier to unload on some unsuspecting sucker! Show me a vehicle that has been painted a year or two and you can usually tell about how good a body or body work you have.

.....or what about the guy saying, "Primed and bodywork performed, needs only paint"...........yea, right! What kind of bodywork?

I hate it when they run an add with a good, color picture, and then the print goes on to tell you everythign you can tell from the picture but nothing additional. The ad might mention sidemounts, wire wheels, wind wings, sidemount mirrors, ect. You can see all of this in the picture. Tell us something we can't tell from the picture.

I knew a guy who painted his 1937 Packard some 1980's Volvo red color. it didnt' look bad, but was too light of a color for the car. He even stating in a regional club publication that he had it painted that color because it was his car and he liked the color and that's that! Well many years later, when it came time for him to sell the car, the ad copy read that it was a special order color from Packard.

Just honest, plain and simple who would buy it? Yes, a picture is worth a thousand words and yes, tell me something that I don't see. Why snow me over when I know better!

Is it a ground up restoration? frame off like what was said body off restoration what is there to fix on a frame other than rusted through or modified for some reason. They're just trying to sell their headaches, mess ups, too lazy, can't afford, to us unsuspecting fools!

Then there is brutal honesty you just have to admire - "not for the faint hearted" or "not for a first restoration"

There is a guy that brings an incredibly rough car to Iola every year with a sign on it that says; 'Whimps need not apply'. I have no idea if the cars sell but there is a different one there every year.

There is a guy that brings an incredibly rough car to Iola every year with a sign on it that says; 'Whimps need not apply'. I have no idea if the cars sell but there is a different one there every year.

That's almost a DARE to some guys.

I stumbled across an ad while looking for a bigger garage in a real estate flyer that said "not a drive by". Meanwhile the agent didn't even get out of their car to take the picture and caught part of the A pillar and all of the mirror in the Photo. Looks like it was taken from the street as well. They didn't even pull in the driveway. If they aren't willing to get out to take the photo then I sure don't want to go look at it!!!

Alright.............Alright..........The best line is "Owner desperate must sell".........You want $3,000; price it in the add at $6800.00. Rest assured, you'll get a call offering half your price. Roll arround on the floor and cry. Tell him you have to have the money now and make a tidy margin over what you would have taken in the first place!

A friend was selling a car, advertised at $1800. A guy came to see the car and was very interested. The friend offered to let the guy test drive it and said he would take $1600. The guy came back from the test drive and ask if he would take $1800. SOLD!

How about when they post a picture of a completed body off resto and a line that says "it could look like this!"

In other words....this was my parts car. :)

Twice a fellow over 1000 miles from me has used a picture of my truck in his CraigList ad. He is at least honest enough to say "mine looks just like this one" and not say it was his. I exchanged several eMails with him the first time. He started off saying it wasn't my truck. I pointed out that since it was in front of my barn, on my son's trailer, hitched to my F250, I was pretty sure it was. Then he wanted to know why I was so upset and if I didn't ike it why did I come over and take pictures of his truck for him. I sent a note to CraigsList complaining but they didn't even answer me let alone pull his ad.

from an ebay ad that just ended...

the body was painted in primer just to cover up the bad original paint, but there was no bondo or anything like that covering anything up, the car still has its original paint under the black

Cool, I'll just carefully strip away that primer to get back to the original paint.....

The biggest joke that comes to mind in recent old car advertising is "BARN FIND"

Where did all these barns come from all of a sudden?? Is a garage or carport now considered a barn just because an old car has been sitting there for years?

I have been working with old cars for almost 30 years and this phrase has recently reached epidemic levels of abuse.

Edited by Paul K. (see edit history)

Guest billybird
The biggest joke that comes to mind in recent old car advertising is "BARN FIND"

Where did all these barns come from all of a sudden?? Is a garage or carport now considered a barn just because an old car has been sitting there for years?

I have been working with old cars for almost 30 years and this phrase has recently reached epidemic levels of abuse.

I have asked this very same question myself. I believe some people are taking older, worn restorations and either knowingly or unknowingly advertising as "barn find". Give me a break; I mean just how many "low milage originals" can there be left in the; lets say, pre-war era?

There's a '36 Packard on EBay right now with the original "mole hair" interior.

I wonder how many of the little critters gave up their lives for this automobile? And just think of the effort required to sew all the tiny pelts together. No wonder Packards were so expensive.

Don

I came across this a while back.....I posted this with the link but its long expired.

1955 Buick Special. 4 Door. Less than 10,000 actual miles on body. No rust through spots except under passenger side door. All chrome pieces intact except 1 side strip piece broken. Lots need rechromed. Glass intact except for BB hole in passenger side rear window. NO DENTS except for Dent on roof from a tree branch. And fist dent on hood when engine blew up in 1971. Lots of pictures on request. Originally belonged to Zumwalt family in Warrensburg, MO who purchased it new in 1954. The owner purchased it and passed shortly thereafter and his wife didn’t drive. The car had been garaged for several years when I purchased it. I put about 2,000 miles on it or less and the engine threw a rod through the block. Asking 5,000 call 660 238-1060. If this doesn’t work out, I will part outon eBay.

It made me laugh...no rust through but there is some, All Chrome but some is missing, Glass intact but has a hole, NO Dents! but the roof is crushed.

10K on a Body? Hunh? what, did the car get a new body at some point then blew the high mileage engine? It was garaged all those years and looks like this?

No motor, has rust through, has dents(Crushed Roof FGS!), has broken glass, missing trim..all could be yours for the great low price of 5k!

Oh did I mention that it originally belonged to Zumwalt family in Warrensburg?

"Survivor" is the word that drives me crazy. Can someone please explain what that means? Survived for what, to be rodded?

Restorer32,

"Survivor" is simply what we would call "HPOF". Granted, it must not be used to describe the "unrestored" example which has been rotting in a creek for eons, but rather an original car in above average condition.

All of the common terms used today have thus far been pretty well exhausted on this thread -- and yes, they are indeed annoying.

Here is a "golden oldie" from your local newspaper classifieds circa 1970-something which was used in nearly every ad:

"body perf with r/h".

It was shorthand for a vehicle which (supposedly) had a perfect body and a radio and heater, but my pals and I contended that it more often should have been translated as "body perforated with rust holes" . . .

Jeff

" If I don't sell it, will keep it". So what other options do you have ?

I LOVE that one...I have seen it very often. Sort of makes you think the guy is missing a few teeth...among other things. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Guest R-ajax peterson

From current E-*** listing,

" All glasses in the windows are good, one slightly cracked, one will need replacing. "