"duh"... dumbest lines in for sale ads

Peter Gariepy

Maybe not a "dumbest line", but an outright lie...I saw a car on a lot a while back that said "one owner". I opened the glove box and stuffed in the owner's manual was about 3 or 4 different registrations from different owners...same car...NOT "one owner". Maybe he meant to say "one owner at a time".?

"Number of Owners" Amazing the value folk place on this. It is only one thing to consider.

In some cases if a buyer is looking for a reliable car, meeting the "one and only owner" might turn you off immediately.

I am a great lover of Provenance and am greatly interested in the history of things. For example Bonnie and Clyde's death car (Stolen by them/not owned) or the Tulsa Plymouth, would pique my interest far more than my neighbours "One Owner" Chev.

My neighbour bought his Chev pick-up new and owned it until it was sold for scrap. He used the pick-up for his house painting business. The original paint was protected by 20 plus years of house paint and turpentine. One the weekend his sons beat the living daylights out of it looking for the perfect surfing spots in Western Australia. It was towed to his house after breaking down and sat under a tree until it turned to mush. IT WAS STILL A ONE OWNER!!!!!! Like the one below. However, while still both buckets of rust, these two, "one owner cars", are polar opposites.

Oklahoma centennial time capsule car found ruined | Reuters

TULSA, Oklahoma — A concrete vault encasing a 1957 Plymouth Belvedere buried a half-century ago may have been built to withstand a nuclear attack but it couldn’t beat back the natural onslaught of moisture.

Guest Skyking
Maybe not a "dumbest line", but an outright lie...I saw a car on a lot a while back that said "one owner". I opened the glove box and stuffed in the owner's manual was about 3 or 4 different registrations from different owners...same car...NOT "one owner". Maybe he meant to say "one owner at a time".?

John, that'll come under the description of "Original 3rd Owner":D

Not sure this really classifies as dumb,a and I do feel bad for this Buick advertiser in HMN. Description of what is probably a really nice 29,000 mile coupe with the comment "Next to impossible to come by".

Directly above, a virtually identical model, one year earlier but exact same (rare, for sure though) body style, with 4,500 advertised miles. Granted, pricier, but what are the odds??

This is not the first time I have seen this sort of bad luck in an ad in HMN or any of the others for that matter.

I remember seeing an ad one time that read; "selling due to health reasons-I'm sick of it".

That's sorta like saying "I have to sell it because of my eyes...I can't SEE any reason to keep it!"

Guest ray17025

my favorite when trying to liquidate a VERY recent purchase is: "Apparently, "do whatever the hell you want", meant something different to her"

I think that someone already mentioned craigslist as a gold mine for this sort of stuff - I just saw one that hasn't made it here yet... "Motivated seller".

My son's car bit the big one this week, and I've been spending a lot of time perusing Craigslist ads. It is amazing to me how many Kentucky ads contain the line "Buyers must have cash in hand, or don't waste my time."

Sounds like an easy person to deal with, doesn't it?:rolleyes: I must have read those exact words 5 times yesterday, all from different sellers.

"Needs TLC"....in this case means Toro Lumber Chipper.

What a fantastic, unfortunate photgraph!

TG

I took that photograph in 1968 when a tornado tore down our street. Our house was half way up the next block just past the tree in the street. It sounded like the Texas Chain Saw Massacre around there the next few days! Here's another...

post-37352-143138400929_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I saw this last night on CL and I have seen it several times before.

Someone selling a car/truck - they put an elaborate description of said vehicle.

Then there may be a picture or 2 of the car/truck but then, in the ad, they explain that the pictures are not of the actual car/truck they are selling but it is "just like the picture(s)".

Why not take pictures of the actual car/truck for sale instead of posting pics of a different vehicle?????

I am sure that this is a definitive sales magnet to get people to come and look at the one for sale.

AMAZING !!!!!!

And yet another:

"Only issue is the rear dlifferential is starting to make some noise. Still runs good though engine is in excellent condition. Awesome vehicle, fun summer vehicle with the top off, great winter vehicle with the 4 wheel drive. I love this jeep but need to get a vehicle with more space."

You think the noisy rear might have a "little" to do with dumping it?

I think this person meant to say "need to get as much space between me and this vehicle".

I am not making this stuff up - actual ads.

"second owner, still in 1st owner name"

"Car gets great gas. I drove her for a 2 hr trip each way on a quarter tank of gas. I typically drive this car about 100 miles a day, very dependable little rough in the morning but the car is 20 yrs old."

Might need an antacid for that gas problem. I guess being 20 years old has a lot to do with being a little rough in the morning, too.

"great shape needs brakes and shocks other than that good to go this is my daily driver" -

Would any of us drive a "daily driver" that needs brakes and shocks.

"no heat currently but costs about 130 dollars to fix" - So why don't you fix it???

"Great car, does not overheat." HUH???????

This truck is for sale for $800.00 and this is at the end of the ad so why bother trying to sell it??? -"P.S if truck dont sell within a week im junking it i can get $800 bucks at the junkyard"

"only 185,000 miles just breaking in runs great"

"yes this truck has never seen weather"

" I just need a Saden because of a baby"

Okay. I am getting carried away so I will stop - FOR NOW

And yet another:

"Only issue is the rear dlifferential is starting to make some noise. Still runs good though engine is in excellent condition. Awesome vehicle, fun summer vehicle with the top off, great winter vehicle with the 4 wheel drive. I love this jeep but need to get a vehicle with more space."

You think the noisy rear might have a "little" to do with dumping it?

I think this person meant to say "need to get as much space between me and this vehicle".

Well, hell, just take the tree that fell on the Impala, grind it up into sawdust, and put it in the rear differential, and keep on gettin' up!

Guest palosfv3

I saved this ad years ago from a Johanasburg Auto Trader. Unfortunately the image and text wont copy to a legable size. The ad read like this.

For Sale

06 Suzuki Gsxr 1000

This bike is perfect ! Only 7000 km and has had its 1500 km dealer service. No falls or scratches. I use it as a cruiser/ commuter. I'm selling because it was purchased without proper consent of loving wife. Apparently do what !@#$%^&* you want doesn't mean what it thought it did.

Steve

(011) XXX XXX XXXX

Here's some I caught tonight.

-Don't know if engine has same milage as car.

-Got a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Its the family vehicle but i'm building a Focus so we won't need it anymore. I hit a deer about a month ago with it so it needs a grille, bumper cover and turn/marker light assembly.

-new roders

-tyres have lost of tred left.

-Never had any major engine problems. (What's a MINOR engine problem?)

spelling is bad, but how about no punctuation?

-this is a 2007 wood floor the ramps come from the side it is 86 in between the fenders the fenders are in ugly shape the could be replaced but they work fine this trailor cost over 3000 when it was bought new give me a call

WHAT?

Edited by bhclark (see edit history)