Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Mark Shaw

17 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

If Thanksgiving is at your place and you have good weather, take your friends and family for a ride in an old car.

Have a great Thanksgiving! 

If I only had one in running condition! 😃 Well, we do have the Wife's '93 Honda DelSol, but I can only get one passenger in at a time...............

Wishing everyone a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving!!

Edited by pkhammer
added wording (see edit history)
  • Like 6

We all have a lot to be thankful for each and every day and especially at this time of the year. Just the friendship here and good wishes lets us cope with the negative that we may have to face and endure. Best wishes to all.

Walt

• Like 13

My son in CA was doing the disc brakes on his BMW for the first time.  He watched a lot of YouTube videos on it but he also contacted tech support (me back home in PA). After going over it with him I asked him if he had a plastic turkey baster.  Ah, no why?  To suck out some of the brake fluid so it doesn’t overflow when you push the pistons back.  The BMW dealer he uses recently did a brake fluid flush and fill so I knew there wouldn’t be much room for the shift in brake fluid.  When a friend of his came over to do brakes on his Boxter, my son told him the turkey baster story. The legacy lives on…

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Happy Thanksgiving to the AACA family. 

I am 1,200 miles from home with family and it is supposed to snow tomorrow so, either way, there wouldn't be any rides in an old car.

Not sure how it's going to snow being as it was a balmy 64* today.

All of us here have a lot to be thankful for.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, TerryB said:

My son in CA was doing the disc brakes on his BMW for the first time.  He watched a lot of YouTube videos on it but he also contacted tech support (me back home in PA). After going over it with him I asked him if he had a plastic turkey baster.  Ah, no why?  To suck out some of the brake fluid so it doesn’t overflow when you push the pistons back.  The BMW dealer he uses recently did a brake fluid flush and fill so I knew there wouldn’t be much room for the shift in brake fluid.  When a friend of his came over to do brakes on his Boxter, my son told him the turkey baster story. The legacy lives on…

Happy Thanksgiving!

Pushing disk brake pistons backwards without opening the bleeder is such poor workmanship, it borders on incompetence. Pushing fluid backwards that has moisture, rust, and other contaminants past the seals backwards in the master cylinder. Bleeders should be cleared to be sure they are fully open, and then the pistons can be returned to the starting position. The only shops they I am aware of that intentionally do this incorrect procedure is to sell more calipers because this procedure will often cause the calipers to bind or seize.  In 45 years of servicing cars I have observed very few shops using grade A technicians doing brake work. My modern shop only employed grade A mechanics. Yes, we were more expensive, but in this world you get what you pay for. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

caliper pistons will bind or seize .....after being pushed back in after doing a brake job [besides caliper seizing over time]......because the pistons have protruded from the bore with worn down brake pads and that surface gets some rust and/or dirt etc ........sometimes do to poor dust boot .......but rust will form even with a good rubber boot .......few shops will check caliper piston condition........but rather just press it back in and install new brake pads.........it all comes down to time and money also image.png.14f437026d0741040996dc3fb9deafd6.pnga caliper piston can be free and work fine ......with rust and worn down brake pads.....but push that piston with rust back down in the cylinder to install new pads.......and that is when you soon end up with seized caliper.

it is extremely rare to come across a seized caliper do to rust on the brake fluid side of the seal even with old brake fluid in systemimage.png.471117735104a51b65f4aab783ad3d2f.png

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)

Happy Thanksgiving.

The brake topic should have it's own thread.😉

Anyway...

🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃❄️🦃🐔🐔🦃🦃 🍲 🍠 🍲🥔🍠🫖🥔🦃🍯🦃🥔🍠🍲❄️🦃🍲🍇🫘🦃🚗🚗🚗🛬🛫🛩️🦃🛠️🍔🍾🍾🦃🦃🦃🦃🍠🥔🫘🍇🛩️🛫🛬🥔🍠🦃🍾🐖🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Among the many things I am thankful for is this forum, all the wonderful friends I have here and the fountainhead of knowledge here.

On the other hand.. why do the Macy's Parade producers always cut to the commercial when an interesting old car is coming? Just my opinion. Enjoy your weekend everyone. 

Edited by ericmac
Typo (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ericmac said:

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Among the many things I am thankful for is this forum, all the wonderful friends I have here and the fountainhead of knowledge here.

On the other hand.. why do the Macy's Parade producers always cut to the commercial when an interesting old car is coming? Just my opinion. Enjoy your weekend everyone. 

Over the years I have attended many Thanksgiving parades, there are established gaps in the parade to allow cross town traffic and pedestrians to cross the street. This spacing is set up at the start of the parade, they fill in the gaps with cars or clowns on bicycle's, anything that can be stopped to allow the traffic to flow, and keep the crowd entertained. Unfortunately, the commercial breaks are scripted to be after a certain float or band passes by. If you notice the CBS broadcast does not have any down time in the back round of the parade broadcast. The NBC portion is geared around showing the talent as they pass the reviewing stand in front of Macy's.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

Pushing disk brake pistons backwards without opening the bleeder is such poor workmanship, it borders on incompetence. Pushing fluid backwards that has moisture, rust, and other contaminants past the seals backwards in the master cylinder. Bleeders should be cleared to be sure they are fully open, and then the pistons can be returned to the starting position. The only shops they I am aware of that intentionally do this incorrect procedure is to sell more calipers because this procedure will often cause the calipers to bind or seize.  In 45 years of servicing cars I have observed very few shops using grade A technicians doing brake work. My modern shop only employed grade A mechanics. Yes, we were more expensive, but in this world you get what you pay for. 

This is especially important with modern anti lock brake systems.
Pushing dirty fluid back through the anti lock pump can cause issues with pump operation due to contamination.

As usual, Ed is spot on.

Edit: while I was tightening up some extra chairs for dinner tonight, I remembered that almost no one pulls the caliper slide pins and cleans them up and re-greases them during a brake job.

If I'm doing disc brakes and I pull the pins and they have the slightest bit of corrosion, I hit them with a brass wire wheel and change the rubber sleeves that are supposed to keep the water out.

Those slide pin rubber sleeves get swapped the 2nd time I do a brake job on whatever car I'm working on.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Be careful driving out there. The road hazards are unpredicatable!

15036358_535521556654323_1682767112386429427_n-2.jpg

Peter,

I didn't even hear you were in our neighbohood.   Sorry I missed you.  Nice picture, Turkey poop washes off easily.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, TerryB said:

After going over it with him I asked him if he had a plastic turkey baster.  Ah, no why?  To suck out some of the brake fluid so it doesn’t overflow when you push the pistons back.

The baster is useful even for those who aren't going to push the fluid back like that. It is an easy way to get the old fluid out of the reservoir before changing the fluid. They're good for getting the old gear oil out of a Mazda shift tower, too. NOW would be a good time to go to the dollar store and pick up a couple. You would be amazed how hard they are to find in July....

• Like 5

Today I had Thanksgiving with family……..since I’m in Florida it was car family. It was at “Uncle Tony’s House.” I met Tony at Hershey in 1981 when I was 14 and he was forty. We have been friends ever since. This is year six for me at his place for Bird Day. Next year, it’s at my place. Hope everyone had a great day.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm thankful for the best things in life. Good health, good friends, and meeting a wonderful younger woman that likes cars. As far as the younger part before all you guy start salivating, my birthday is July 30, 1943 my sweet young things birthday is August 4 1943. 

Life is full of surprises, as well wonderful days, with many more yet to come. We look forward to each day with interest and anticipation. For which we are all thankful for. 

brasscarguy and Kathy.

• Like 5