What cars do you like to see in the "Not MIne" Section?

This "Not Mine" category of cars for sale has really

grown, and it continues to be interesting.  I was

wondering what taste all our viewers have in cars:

What is the ideal type of car you like to see here?

Personally, I like to see cars that I might like to own:

1950's and up, less common cars, realistically priced;

especially those that don't need much work to be nice.

When those are pointed out, they catch my attention.

Other people might like to see interesting restoration projects,

or Classics, or high-performance cars that are affordable, or...?

And since I don't check Facebook or Offerup, it's great

that people point out cars from diverse sources.  Thanks!

• Like 6

I find all makes and models in all price ranges have the potential to be very interesting. If one does not interest me, I just move on to the next one. Too eclectic to try to categorize. I often see cars close to my location which always catch my attention first. I am not in the market and it doesn’t cost anything to look! 

IMG_5065.jpeg

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)
  • Like 7

1927 to 1970 are what I search for on the web. Older than 27 and they are too crude for a daily driver in my opinion. After 70 and the emission laws took effect and they aren't near as much fun to work on. As Jeff stated if it doesn't interest me I just move on. 

The way the thread is setup now probably can't be improved on. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Fossil said:

1927 to 1970 are what I search for on the web.

1 hour ago, theconvertibleguy said:

Personally I keep an eye out for 1930-1970 convertibles

19 minutes ago, cjmarzoli said:

Pretty much all of them but especially pre 1940 cars for me right now as that is what I am looking to buy.

Knowing people's interests, and especially if they are

looking for a car to buy, we can keep these criteria in 

mind when we come across interesting ads.

• Like 3

Pre 1970's.  Oddball vehicles are always entertaining.  The "Trashcan Bugatti" was memorable. I appreciate the barn-finds to the well done restoration.  No use for the over-the-top vehicles priced to the moon.  Period correct hot rod's/modifications are good but a drop in crate motor is of no interest.  The variety keeps bringing me back to view the ads.

• Like 2

Maybe we should also ask what we don't like...

• Overpriced, unrestorable rust buckets
  • Clown cars
  • Cars assembled from pieces of different makes and/or mixed vintages for sale as "classics"
  • Cars advertised as "Original" that are obviously NOT EVEN CLOSE
  • Any car added to this forum for ridicule rather than constructive criticism.
  • Ridiculously overpriced anything
  • Posts that don't include at least minimal information about the vehicle (especially ones that just post a copy of the title bar and nothing else, contrary to the moderator's rules, and frustrating for those who cannot access the references)

I don't mind a good laugh or a chuckle now and again, but listing trash or scrap metal is a waste of everyone's time. Rust is not gold.

Anyone else with gripes, ...rather, constructive criticism?

• Like 3

I am in Belgium but its always good to see whats for sale in the US and as we say when not interested we move to the next one .

Today i saw a 1967 NSU with Wankel engine here  with 26.9000 KM from 1967 for 2.000 Euro .It even was converted to LPG .It looked good but you can see it sat to long .

I am a novice in the computer but will try to post a picture later.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, daniel boeve said:

I am in Belgium but its always good to see whats for sale in the US and as we say when not interested we move to the next one .

Today i saw a 1967 NSU with Wankel engine here  with 26.9000 KM from 1967 for 2.000 Euro .It even was converted to LPG .It looked good but you can see it sat to long .

I am a novice in the computer but will try to post a picture later.

I would welcome posts from our neighbors in other countries. I'm sure we all could learn a lot about different cars as well as the world market. Please contribute from Europe or where ever else in the world you might be. I look forward to some interesting new input.

image.png.f5b5e852ad5acb2e52be4e2b57a4cf28.png

Edited by Crusty Trucker (see edit history)
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Reynard said:

Maybe we should also ask what we don't like...

• Overpriced, unrestorable rust buckets
  • Clown cars
  • Cars assembled from pieces of different makes and/or mixed vintages for sale as "classics"
  • Cars advertised as "Original" that are obviously NOT EVEN CLOSE
  • Any car added to this forum for ridicule rather than constructive criticism.
  • Ridiculously overpriced anything
  • Posts that don't include at least minimal information about the vehicle (especially ones that just post a copy of the title bar and nothing else, contrary to the moderator's rules, and frustrating for those who cannot access the references)

I don't mind a good laugh or a chuckle now and again, but listing trash or scrap metal is a waste of everyone's time. Rust is not gold.

Anyone else with gripes, ...rather, constructive criticism?

Most people don't know what they own or how to do a decent car advertisement.   Some dealers don't know how either.   Making fun of the advertisement entertains me for some reason.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

I tend to post and read ads for cars I find interesting but it's hard to simply put them into one bucket.

I read maybe 25% of what's listed - projects, originals, drivers, perfect cars or very long term ownership - it really varies.

If I think something might interest this group I will throw it up.  Conversation is interesting as we all have different points of view on these and any cars in general.

I think format is fine as it sits - the ones that comr back around are interesting as well.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I think format is fine as it sits - the ones that come back around are interesting as well.

I agree, Steve:  It's especially interesting when the

listings get updated over the months, and we can see

the price gradually come down to reality.  It helps us

track the market, and we see that exorbitant prices

are not achieved.

I appreciate sellers having phone numbers in their ads,

so if a price isn't realistic yet, we have a record, and

someone could still phone months later.

• Like 2

This is one of my  go to threads on the forum. I am not in the market to buy anything at this point but find this part very entertaining. Some I like to look at as a comparison to what I own (mid 70's stuff), and I always click on anything pre 1930. Late 30's thru the mid 50s do not interest me that much, I will gloss over some of them. I appreciate all of the guys that post stuff on here, keep up the good work.

• Like 5

My main interest is mostly late 1930 to 1973. As I feel that government standards ruined the looks of the 1973 model cars with the large front and rear bumpers. I try my best to point out what I believe makes a car attractive IMO and steer clear of denigrating someone's car that would serve no purpose.  

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Though i have interest in many years of cars I tend to buy cars from the mid 30's to the late 50's.  I won't buy a car that can't hold it's own with todays cars on the streets and highways.  A model T is a good example.  However I do like to see them.  I do think if the car is beyond hope of seeing the street ever again or certain key parts are propped up to show what the pieces are supposed to be are irrelevant my book.  Those listings should be in another thread.  I still think the current format is very popular as it's a daily stop for most car nuts.  I would not have known about 2 cars that I have purchased if it weren't for this thread. 

• Like 3

I love the Not Mine forum and check it far too frequently.

As for the cars, I like them all! But I look at different eras in different ways. 

- Up to about 1927: interesting to see how these early cars were made and how they evolved. I learn so much from the discussions. Not something I want to own but cool to see. 
- Late ‘20s-early ‘30s. Bucket list for me, ever since I was about eight and wanted a Model A woody. My goal has evolved and now I want something larger and less common. So I look at these as potential purchases and to learn as much as possible about the various makes/models and what to look for. (The only problem is I need to free up a garage spot and can’t seem to do that. Someday…)

- Mid ‘30s-late ‘40s. I like these and have helped work on a few. The styling evolution is cool. For some reason I haven’t wanted to own one. I like to view these but just out of casual interest. 
- ‘50s. Used to be my main interest. I’ve owned a few from this era. Not actively looking for one right now but I like to check out the unusual makes/models or body styles. I can sometimes provide advice to fellow viewers. 
- ‘60s. Another era where I have direct experience. Currently have a few of these and have owned several. Sometimes I look to get a feel for value/demand of what I own. Other times I can provide assistance and advice. 
- ‘70s and later. I remember when these were new and have been through many when they were just used cars. Fun to see what’s out there and reminisce about what family and friends were driving. 

• Like 6

I am only interested in 1942 and older - preferably 1932 and older. I know that 70's 80's cars are now where the money and interest is trending these days, but early cars should be here for that reason. This is the best place for me to find rare cars for rare buyers. 

Overpriced junk is just fine. 

Projects are fine.

I just skip over the 57 Chevys. It's not a problem.

Edited by 28StutzCabriolet (see edit history)
  • Like 4

1949 thru around 1985 interest me the most, and partial to orphans and independents, mid-priced cars, and stuff outside the mainstream. Not a fan of "upgrading" older vehicles to emulate modern vehicles either. People who do so are missing the point of having an old car and probably should not own one.

If a car interests me, is roadworthy, and is fairly priced I'll look at it, visualize myself as its caretaker, and then float slowly back to earth and the real world.

• Like 5

I also like when cars posted are updated with current price and sales status so we can get an idea of what the market will bring. It amazes me how you guys can do that and thank you for your efforts. 

• Like 3

I enjoy seeing what's out there (especially around me) and what good deals there are to still be had. I really enjoy the more unique stuff and learning from those who have more knowledge on the cars and leave comments. 

Right now I've been more interested in the Prewar project cars that are being posted as I'm currently looking for a donor chassis for my 1918 Bell motor car.

(PS for anyone on here, please check out the post on my profile if you think you might have a frame you'd like to sell). 

Edited by TheYorkBell (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It seems the majority of ads here are for affordable (sometimes mundane, sometimes unique) drivers, which is fine with me. I like that stuff.  As others have implied, it's nice seeing cars that could be used as semi-reliable transportation in modern traffic. Non-driving projects are of less interest to me but I certainly don't mind seeing them on the forum. Thirties and older cars - especially the more expensive luxury cars from that era - are way out of my price range but are still fun to see.

Though many of us scan the ads presented as entertainment and don't intend to buy the vehicles posted, I view this sub-forum as a nice compendium of car ads that have - to one degree or another - been screened by many knowledgeable AACA types (not me 😄) for either quality, value or uniqueness and sometimes all of the above. Yes, there are some "loser" vehicles posted, but I think there are a higher percentage of "winners" here than you'll find at most other online car ads. I'm sure BAT has a higher percentage of winners but because of price appeals to a narrower range of old car buyers.

I'd like to see more mostly original drivers from the pre-eighties era posted. I'd also like to see more really unique non-custom stuff:  limited factory editions, prototypes, etc., even if the prices a really high. THe often generate interesting and educational discussions.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I also bought a vehicle which was posted in the Not Mine thread.  I check the current feed first which picks up every post but I always check the Not Mine thread before I leave the forum.  I especially enjoy the member comments, pro, con and technical regarding the posted cars.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

It's great that people in the community share their findings from diverse sources, allowing fellow enthusiasts to discover interesting cars that might align with their preferences. The variety in tastes makes the "Not Mine" category dynamic and appealing to a broad audience of car enthusiasts.   

Edited by flameshretoos (see edit history)
  • Like 4