Gratitude to all who make the "Not Mine" section interesting

This section was spun off from the regular Cars-for-Sale

section, and everyone who contributes to it deserves a 

lot of thanks.  Many interesting potential purchases have

been presented here;  scrutiny by knowledgeable car fans

saves expensive mistakes;  and we get to see the market

as cars are presented and prices gradually come down.

Importantly, some have found homes with fellow forum-goers.

Good work needs to be acknowledged.

So if you've posted any cars here, or given insights, please accept this

THANKS.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Thanks John!  You're all welcome.  We're all habitual old car shoppers, it's fun, always on the lookout for whatever the next car we'd like to own...or at least know there are still good examples out there to be found.  One criterion I use is when I find a car advertised that used to be common as dirt and think "I can't recall the last time I saw one of those on the road or anywhere."  The other criterion is discovering advertised a car that for its make, year and good condition represents an opportunity for someone with potential hobby interest but of modest means (<$10K) to acquire and enjoy with family and friends without mortgaging his house.  The roots of the old car hobby were just that, acquiring, preserving and enjoying a car with family and friends to make memories, not about eventual financial gain.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I check this forum daily. I know of 2 cars that I posted in this forum found homes with members. Can't post as many cars as some of the better contributors, as being up here in Canada we just don't have the sheer volume of old vehicles for sale.

I'm one of those guys who spent my youth combing the classified ads in the daily newspapers, then Auto Trader, Hemmings, etc. Been doing it for more than 50 years.

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, neil morse said:

One of my favorite places on the forums -- I check it at least once a day.  A hearty thank you to all who contribute!

I usually check 2 times a day .I am in Belgium -Europe so i check when most of you are in bed with your spouse or alone when you bought to many cars recently

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I have learned a great deal from this forum and seen cars that interest me that I may never have come across. Thank you to all of the contributors, sure is a wealth of knowledge out there and big thanks to the guys who find these cars. 

• Like 2

Being "want ad addicted" I really can't help it, and most importantly, it's a way for me to learn about cars I'm not familiar with.

You can never have too much useless information! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Yes, this is my go to forum first thing in the morning. Thanks much for the variety of cars posted and also a big thank you to those who post positive, constructive comments and criticisms. 

I admit that I have been gone a bit negative in the past, something that I am working to correct.

• Like 3

I love this forum and bought 2 cars off here! I have been bit by the old car hobby and the cars I see here are awesome. There are a quite a few of us that spend a lot of time digging up neat cars; I thank you for that! I also learn a lot from the comments I read.  This a daily stop for me as well! 

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 2

This is a 47 Ford that I bought out of Florida.  It was not as good as the seller said it was. But I fixed all of the issues and learned lot about Fords. I eventually sold it and have regretted the sale ever since. This picture is probably the best one because that was taken after all the mechanical issues were fixed and I just finished a 10 hour detail on it.

PXL_20210718_000313382(1).jpg.379067261a172b4d6a9b409577bb4f6c.jpg

This is a 1940 Buick Super coupe. It came from Walla Walla Washington.  This one I have done minimal work to it and it is a pretty good driver.  Recently drove it 50 miles and averaged 60mph.  I was impressed!  I still have this one!!!  The picture was taken in an historic area of Pasadena, CA so it is period correct!

PXL_20221025_192900309 (1).jpg

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I like the fact that this collective group can arrive at a reasonable market value on most anything. Looking at most other sites of vintage cars for sale can be quite perplexing, the asking prices are often not even close to realistic, even on the best day, ever. 

• Like 6

I recall, some years ago, a member asserting that he didn't care for all of these cars for sale that weren't owned by AACA members. I had been posting quite a few at that time because I had been ailing and browsing ads gave me something to do during a long, boring recovery period.  I apologized and said that I hadn't meant any harm by the practice and that I was just trying to point out interesting cars that some might not be aware of if they weren't experienced with "mash" sites. I felt that at that time there was a big gap between ebay and Hemmings, on the one hand, and Craigslist on the other. I was pleased by the number of guys who responded that they enjoyed browsing all of the ads and didn't see any reason to see them stopped. In time the moderators saw fit to separate the two categories and these days there are more listings for cars that aren't owned by members than there are the other. I'm pretty busy these days and don't have the time to source and post like I did before, but I still love to drop in and see what others have found to share. Keep it up, Guys!

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 10

8 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I recall, some years ago, a member asserting that he didn't care for all of these cars for sale that weren't owned by AACA members... I apologized...

I wouldn't have.🤨

That's a stupid and snobby attitude. We're supposed to find interesting cars only thru other AACA members, who may or may not want to sell?

Or, worse, these interesting cars may never find themselves in the hands and care of true old-car oriented people?

This individual doesn't sound like much of an ambassador for AACA or the old car hobby generally. 

Keep posting these cars. It's our responsibility as AACA people to help find them good homes. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ericmac said:

I too find this subsection among the most interesting and informative parts of this forum. My thanks to all who contribute here.

I'm like you:  When I get automotive magazines, such as the AACA's

own "Antique Automobile," I usually check the car-for-sale ads first.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/13/2023 at 12:21 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

THANKS.

My thanks continue to the people who first

started this category--and for the people who

continue adding interesting cars for sale.

There are more contributors, and I appreciate

the category very much.  I read it often.

So once again, THANKS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There are benefits to be had by posting to "Not Mine". You get to be the first one to criticize the seller, the pictures, the description, the car, the price, even the location, or all of the above, without fear of physical retribution. Try that anywhere else!

Edited by Twisted Shifter (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, ericmac said:

Agreed! This is my favorite part of the forum!

Absolutely. First place that gets read and at least a couple times a day.

• Like 2