Small swap meets can be a trove

Tonz

Around my locality it seems that every small town or club are running their yearly swap meets. These are the Saturday sunrise to noon meets. And many times they get overlooked by enthusiasts as a waste of time and they head off to the big 3day national swaps.

I have now attended as many of these as possible and I'm picking up absolute bargains which makes the 80km + drives worthwhile.

My recent trip west to Dalby yielded these treasures, a full set of wind wing clamps, a nice Stewart Warner vacuum tank, and a nice A-model exhaust pipe.

At other swaps, a pair of Atlantic cowl lamps, a tyre rim tool, Smiths speedo

All I can say is give support to these small swap meets and they will reward you nicely.

Hopefully one day I will find that elusive 1926 Chrysler 4" beehive tail lamp lens.

IMG_20230311_160649~2.jpg

• Like 7

I still go to them but it has been a long time since I saw the good stuff at a local swap. Mostly guys with hop up parts for 350 small blocks, 80s truck seats, Mustang 2 front ends, and other valueless dreck. I'm glad to hear that they worked out for you though!

Edited by zdillinger (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Even if you come home with no treasures they are always a good morning walk and an excuse for an unhealthy breakfast. I will often go to these because you just don't know what will turn up. The smaller ones are often the guy just clearing his shed or his family doing it once he's passed.

• Like 4

Here in CT some of the best meets are small like the Dragone's (June 11 I believe) or Beardsley Cider mill prewar swap (in fairness mainly Ford).  I would much rather poke through 12, 15, 25 spots with relevant, good stuff than walk some of our larger meets for hours looking for the 5, 6 guys with good stuff.  Personally I have never bought a snowblower, cd or casettes or num chucks at an automotive swap meet. 😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

SHHHH! Don't spill the beans! I prefer to keep all the deals for myself! 😁

You will never hear me say one good word about a Jaguar. That's for sure. Those horror stories are true. Every one of them.

11 hours ago, Tonz said:

Around my locality it seems that every small town or club are running their yearly swap meets. These are the Saturday sunrise to noon meets. And many times they get overlooked by enthusiasts as a waste of time and they head off to the big 3day national swaps.

I have now attended as many of these as possible and I'm picking up absolute bargains which makes the 80km + drives worthwhile.

My recent trip west to Dalby yielded these treasures, a full set of wind wing clamps, a nice Stewart Warner vacuum tank, and a nice A-model exhaust pipe.

At other swaps, a pair of Atlantic cowl lamps, a tyre rim tool, Smiths speedo

All I can say is give support to these small swap meets and they will reward you nicely.

Hopefully one day I will find that elusive 1926 Chrysler 4" beehive tail lamp lens.

IMG_20230311_160649~2.jpg

Try here for the taillight lens....

https://oldcarlenses.com/

There are a lot of smaller clubs that are starting up their own little swap meets, and they are always fun. We've been doing our own AACA Region swap meet for years.  See the swap meet forum for photos and a report I posted.  Sorry the swap meet forum is kinda tucked away, but here is an example of a neat item I bought at this year's event.  It's an unusual early turn-signal, never-used condition.

See you in Luray for the Pre-War Swap Meet in May.

Terry

Helping hand turn signal.jpg

• Like 2

I used to love going to the little shows with 50 to a couple hundred cars and say 10-20 vendors.  Mostly they were guys cleaning out their garage so they were looking to get rid of the stuff.  Best find was a near mint accessory 55 Mercury steering wheel with horn ring covered in body shop overspray where it had probably hung since the 50's for $35.  Of course that was back in about 1994.  Ended up as the focal point in my 32 Ford hot rod.  Other great small finds as well,  but sadly all those shows are long gone.  No real small swap meets around here any more.  The best I have found lately is the truck show in Balston Spa.  Really a pretty big swap meet.  Lots there for cars considering it's primarily a truck meet.

I really wish we had more.  I think ebay has taken over much of the market.  Not a hands on experience but still a good place to find obscure stuff if you know how to look for it.   It's also open 24/7 so that's kind of nice.  

IMG_5991.JPG

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 4

One advantage to vending at small meets is that everyone in attendance will stop by your space to chat and thoroughly check out all the items you're selling. I bring a variety of parts, literature, and even some toys or model cars for the kids. Most people will buy something, some will even fill their bags. It's not like the larger Carlisle & Hershey shows where many people drive many miles to get there, sit in traffic, pay $20+ for parking and admission and then walk up & down each row in a zombie-like trance with their eyes fixed straight ahead. They hurry past all the swap meet spaces while on their cellphones without even turning their heads sideways to see what the vendors might be selling.  It's like they want to walk through all if it as fast as they can so they can get back home and tell everyone, Yeah, I walked all of Carlisle on Friday and No, I didn't buy anything because there was really wasn't anything there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with Auburnseeker, ebay has taken over what used to show up at swap meets. And yes the personal interaction of finding and buying a piece of whatever is now lost. the fun is ( was) in the search. It is why Hershey is still so much fun, and also for the face to face contact once a year with friends who live so far away.

Walt

• Like 1

Our local Sunday Flea Market season opens next month, got to air up the tires on my shopping cart. Lots of pure crap but I come home with one or two milk crates of stuff on most visits. The deals on non automotive things I'm clueless to the value of always amaze me. 

I know the internet has had an impact on swap meets, but there still seems to be a lot of people who prefer to touch the parts and dicker in person.  It's the social aspect that is often missing.  It's just great to meet and visit with others at a good old fashioned swap meet. 

Terry

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Terry Bond said:

I know the internet has had an impact on swap meets, but there still seems to be a lot of people who prefer to touch the parts and dicker in person.  It's the social aspect that is often missing.  It's just great to meet and visit with others at a good old fashioned swap meet. 

Terry

I totally agree, there are still people out there without internet connections, or fear of online selling. Fear of "Hot Rod" swap meets is one I find to be hilarious, found a 1910 Lozier hub cap at one of the largest ones here in Connecticut. 

50 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

I totally agree, there are still people out there without internet connections, or fear of online selling. Fear of "Hot Rod" swap meets is one I find to be hilarious, found a 1910 Lozier hub cap at one of the largest ones here in Connecticut. 

Bob we have done ok at those but you really have to have a LOT of patience.  I might do Stafford again but not Compounce unless really, really bored.

3 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Bob we have done ok at those but you really have to have a LOT of patience.  I might do Stafford again but not Compounce unless really, really bored.

Compounce is no more, they moved to a football stadium outside Hartford. Lot easier to get off the interstate and on the field. 

Bob, when I was all about small block Chevys I would start getting excited about three weeks before Stafford or Compounce.  I am amazed at how little SBC stuff or Fomoco, Mopar parts actually show at these shows bow.  I know your a prewar guy through and through, but times they are a changin'...

Look for you at the cider mill this year!

• Like 1

Covid seems to have killed off our local swap, though I keep hoping for a resurrection. (yeah, I know, I could be the one to take charge and make it happen...) Personally, I thought it was just right. I always ran into a few friends, and always found a bargain or two. I've never been to one of the big meets, so this was always special to me.

I’m headed out early tomorrow morning for the Chicagoland MG club sponsored all sports car swap meet at DuPage County Fairgrounds in Wheaton Illinois. This will be my seventh or eighth year to go but it’s been going on for a long time. I always see old friends, and it’s heavy with MG and Triumph stuff. Also lots of Austin Healey, Jaguar, Sunbeam, Morris, Riley, a little bit of everything. I always pick up treasures when I’m there and most of the stuff is priced fairly. If you are in the Chicago area, and haven’t been before, head on over there tomorrow. I think it’s worth the trip.

PM me if you’re going. 

95740A93-6043-4099-A9CB-A88616B38BE7.png.b417f691ed5da60f2fa18717ee4bc150.png

Date - Time - Location

March 26 at 8:00 am - 2:00 pm CDT 

DuPage County Fair Grounds

2015 Manchester Road, N County Farm Rd, Wheaton, IL 60187 
Wheaton, IL 60187

Event Organizer – Jim Evans

• Like 1

Like I said, this one is just one hour from me, I've been a couple of times and it's cracker. Unfortunately last year the town of Laidley was inunduated by a flood the day before, so this one should be good 

Previously at this swap I scored a set of four car stands for about $20, a 1920s dome light, and a 1920s bevel edge rear view mirror for $5 EA.

eBay and online stuff will never beat a treasure hunt, checking out the object in your hands, haggling the price down and a coffee and burger.

I you live in SEQ Australia don't miss it.

Plus I can be home by lunch time.

FB_IMG_1679815861975.jpg

Here in the DC metro area, there are two early-season swap meets, one put on by the Chesapeake AACA chapter and one by the Sugarloaf chapter. Each one probably takes 2-3 hours to get through, and I never fail to buy far more items than I plan to. This year I got a few smoking deals at each one. In prior years I've scored a Sun distributor machine, a TP HVLP spray paint system, power window motors for my Oldsmobiles, and always cool tools. Thanks to the two chapters for putting these on. For me, this is the sign of spring each year.

• Like 1

Small shows rock!

We are putting on a Corvair show/swap/meet on April 15th at the Classic Car Center in Fredericksburg, VA.

• Like 1

I have skipped Hershey the past couple of years, and have to agree with you,  I had a couple of good finds at the Luray VA pre-war swap meet in May last year, as well as a few nice surprises at a local swap meet in Granite Falls NC last fall.

14 hours ago, 63RedBrier said:

Just came thru Frederica about an hour ago, didn’t notice any signs…

On rt 1. Its at a seafood rest. I cant recall the name right now. But there is a LARGE boat prop in front that cannot be missed. I think they have a cruise in there Wednesday's through the summer. Also just a bit further south I saw a sign for a car show on 4/15 at the old airfield/park that is on rt. 1

Thanks for giving me that gentle nudge with your elbow Steve. I needed that! In years past, it would occupy the main building and 2 smaller outbuildings. The combined square footage of the outbuildings would probably equal the larger main building. This year it was all contained in the large building. In essence, maybe half the size of just a few years ago. It had a similar feel, lots of the usual stuff, John twist was holding court, Of the former University motors. There were a few projects and completed cars for sale in the parking lot. I was hoping to stumble on some thing that would wow me and didn’t really find anything. I picked up a few books I didn’t have and bought a few smaller items for a friend who has a big Healey,  and I was gone in under two hours. I will keep going back, it’s close by and I can be excited picking up a small piece of memorabilia that I’ve never seen before. I’m hoping post Covid the size and number of vendors returns to what it used to be.

• Like 1

John, thanks for the update concerning as it may be.  This is more of a social/people interaction based hobby than many realize and covid has hit it pretty hard. 

A couple of these little meets were gaining steam here - trad hot rod guys in the 40 - 50 year old bracket were stepping up after a once popular monthly winter meet the Model A club held for decades lost it's venue just before covid.  The went dormant like everything else and now they are struggling...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The 55er said:

The big gold propeller on Route 1 is at the Meding & Son seafood restaurant in Milford, DE. They have Tailgate Tuesday Cruise Nights throughout the summer. I don't know if they have a swap meet. 

Thank you. Yes its Meding and Son. Although I respectfully have to correct I am pretty sure their cruise night at least last fall was on wed evening. They currently have a sign affixed to an old truck out front that says 'car show swap meet April 1'. I think this is a special event.  I work in Lewes and pass by every day.

The car show on 4/15 is at Hudson Fields in Milton. Not sure about a swap meet at that one.

Two I really miss are Tom Mack's January show in Charlotte NC and the Carolina Collector Autofest in Raleigh. Both have disappeared.

After Tom lost the Metrolina Fairgrounds venue to residential development and was forced to move, looks like the show lost its momentum and then the pestilence really did it in. I saw on his website the show was done.

CCAF was a good way to spend a day too. When Strutmasters bought it out and moved it from the NC State Fairgrounds to Roxboro NC, they had one show, then 2020 came and it was done. 

I found lots of good pieces at Metrolina. CCAF seemed more aftermarket-oriented but that's where I bought detailing and electrical supplies.

The Southern NJ AACA folks again out in a great swap meet this past Sunday at the Salem County Fairgrounds. After enduring two horrible weather days at the Sugarloaf Mountain event in Westminster (MD), we were rewarded with a glorious late March day in NJ. R spectator parking lot had the largest number of cars and trucks for many years, and the vendor count outside was also large. What a great way to spend a Sunday morning. And I got a few great buys. The wheels are 15 inch, 6-lug Chevy from the 1940’s into the early 50’s. 

110014E2-24DC-45E2-BF54-F15CDDFF4554.jpeg