How can I trust a seller will send me a car I am buying from him.

CatBird

Bill, are you arranging for the transportation

yourself, and paying for it?  Since you have bought

quite a few noteworthy cars, is this situation something

different from what you have done before?

You must feel that something is suspicious, or you

wouldn't be asking us the question.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

You’re only a few weeks away from the Scottsdale car auctions.  I would send a deposit and go inspect it in person.  You could attend the auctions. Also, it’ll be very easy to ship the car back east from that location during the week of the Auctions any other time it’s hard to get cars out of that area.   

• Like 6

If you have such concerns with the transaction and/or seller, it’s probably best to just walk away.

World is full of cars, easier/safer transactions and sellers.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CatBird said:

I am reaching out to a friend in Phoenix about this. A little leery about the seller. I asked for additional pictures. Like take a pic inside the trunk and interior, but he said he has all the pictures in his ad. 

I would bet that when you start asking about sending an agent all you will hear back is crickets.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, erichill said:

I think asking for a specific photo so you know he/she has the car is a very reasonable request. If I got push back on that I would definitely forget it. This day and age any reasonable person would understand a potential buyer being leery.

If the seller cannot post a new/requested photo of what you want to see, do not walk away from the deal....RUN! Everyone except me has a cell phone and can take a photo instantly.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 6

49 minutes ago, CatBird said:

I am reaching out to a friend in Phoenix about this. A little leery about the seller. I asked for additional pictures. Like take a pic inside the trunk and interior, but he said he has all the pictures in his ad. 

I would be a whole lotta leery at this point.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

..RUN! Everyone except me has a cell phone and can take a photo instantly.

Keiser, you’re not alone my older brother in San Diego not only doesn’t have a cell phone, he doesn’t have a camera. I think his home phone still has a rotary dial on it. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, CatBird said:

That sounds bothersome, not a Model A Ford is it.................

There are so many cars for sale from honest straight forward people available, so if this guy is being a bit shady, or the price sounds too good to pass up, skip it. Scammers are all around the internet and more show up everyday. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CatBird said:

Without a doubt, the seller is hiding something.

He is NOT honest.  

You may be asking for confirmation of your skepticism,

and this is total confirmation.  You will be greatly disappointed

at best, and cheated at worst.  Enjoy the hobby safely, Bill,

by avoiding this seller!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Look in your various car club directories and find a person near the same Zip code. I have had many cars checked out that way.

Buick forum contributor and former western New Yorker, JohnD1956 checked out a project Escalade for me a little over a year ago.

A friend of mine once found a car in the Good Guys classified ads and asked me to check it out. I found a Cadillac Club member near the car. When I contacted him he said the car belonged to his friend and he might be biased. He had fabricated the exhaust system. Worked out fine and the person also arranged very reasonable transportation.

My friend still owns the car and I did about $350 worth on fine tuning when he got it.

f0099.JPG.a46b193790155b2150360cc6da92f09a.JPG

Always remember one important thing. Cars carry the karma of their previous owner. If this guy gives you a hard time with the purchase that car will bring a piece of him with it. Personally I just walk away from those difficult and cantankerous people.

Last year I sold a car I had owned for ten years. The previous owner was the arch-typical sleazy car salesman of legend. Every time I drove the car I felt like washing or showering. If you have bad vibes head them. There are lots of cars. There are personalities I refuse to buy from.

• Like 2

I think extreme caution should be used, but dont condemn the seller too fast. He may be legit, up and up and so on. Might be tired of tire kickers and flakes answering his ad. This is not meant as an insult to Catbird, although I have never met him, I know he has a great reputation on this forum.

My experience comes from my wife selling stuff on CL and about half of the responses she gets are scams and flakes.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 2:53 PM, West Peterson said:

Bill

My brother is an appraiser, and lives in Phoenix, Arizona. Like me, he grew up in the hobby. He could help you with the transaction. 

West, I called your brother, Webster, he lives in Phoenix. He went over the car. Except it may need a cleanup on the paint. After all it is 30 years old and has 38,000 miles. Mechanically sound and the seller seems to be very solid. I am buying it. Not a fine car, but fun to play with.

Being in real estate and I need to check out tenants in depth. Software used by serious background check. Seller looks very strong personally and his businesses. Let's see what happens.

I thank AACA, my friends and the powerful network available right here.

Edited by CatBird (see edit history)
  • Like 10

It has to be special to bother with a seller you don't feel right about.   Google usually reveals all and if it doesn't be concerned.

I think a visit is almost always a good idea.   The last two cars I flew in to see I tried to run away from and yet they followed me home anyways.   So maybe I should send somebody else next time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, alsancle said:

It has to be special to bother with a seller you don't feel right about.   Google usually reveals all and if it doesn't be concerned.

I think a visit is almost always a good idea.   The last two cars I flew in to see I tried to run away from and yet they followed me home anyways.   So maybe I should send somebody else next time.

I think I have a better average buying cars for you than you do. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, EmTee said:

Personally, I never have trouble spending someone else's money!  ;)

It’s easy when you try. Want real pressure? Act as a buying agent for a mid seven figure car……….eight figures will just blow you away. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, marcapra said:

What car did you buy?  

Well done, but, a replica. I was happy for Webster Petersen check it out. Just wanted a fun car, PS, PB, AC, Power windows, 350 Chev Crate V8, auto trans. If it breaks, I can get most anything at a local parts store. 

IMG_0291 - Copy.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

Edited by CatBird
add pictures (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

End results. I contacted a transport agent. She connected me up with Uber.Haul. They picked up my car in Phoenix, two days after I paid for it and brought it to me in four days later. Perfect condition. Driver carefully showed me how to circumvent the "anti-theft device," and had me rolling. The car is exactly as Webster well documented. All around a great transaction. 

IMG_8532.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

Congratulations on the beautiful new car and a successful transaction, CatBird. I hope that you can get at least a few good "convertible days" where you live this winter. 😉

Fortunately we live in the South, near Atlanta. We have almost no snow. Temp today was in the high fifties. However my "new" car has a good heater! A very good convertible top. Power windows. I think we will be ok. 

My father grew up in New England. Hated snow. He put all his possessions in a very big truck, strapped a snow shovel to the radiator and headed South. He kept going until someone asked and said, "What the Hell is that thing?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, CatBird said:

Fortunately we live in the South, near Atlanta. We have almost no snow. Temp today was in the high fifties. However my "new" car has a good heater! A very good convertible top. Power windows. I think we will be ok. 

My father grew up in New England. Hated snow. He put all his possessions in a very big truck, strapped a snow shovel to the radiator and headed South. He kept going until someone asked and said, "What the Hell is that thing?"

Congratulations on a beautiful car-

hope it is as much fun as you can stand !

I've used a very similar anecdote, describing my choice to depart New Jersey and become a New Orleans, Louisiana fixture-

Snowshovel strapped to the roof of my '60 Valiant -

(CatBird, your father made a great move, but may not have travelled far enough south, at least in my estimation 😎)

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1