60s Fords in "Hazel"

rocketraider

Ford knew the value of product placement in the 60s. It was a stroke of marketing genius to put successful lawyer George Baxter in a series of high-line Fords in "Hazel". No telling how many Fords that show sold.

The Baxters have driven: 1962 Galaxie Town Victoria, 1962 Country Squire, 1961 Falcon wagon, 1963 Galaxie XL and Country Squire. 

Other shows (and carmakers) benefited from providing cars for TV. Anyone have others?

8 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Perry Mason and Paul Drake.

Perry Mason Show seemed to have them mixed up of over the years, although the show has a long run, 11 years. I noticed this morning that they are in the Season 1 early episodes, Perry has a 57 Retractable, did not notice Paul's car, but I would presume it was T-Bird, The client had a Plymouth Convertible. Then they shifted over to Cadillacs and Buicks for awhile, then back to Lincolns and T-Birds. One thing the made sure you saw them!  

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

The police cars in Mayberry that sheriff Andy drove were all Fords.

Otis, the town drunk had a 1933 Ford Roadster.  Aunt Bea had a 1955 Ford Skyliner.  

4 hours ago, SC38dls said:

Route 66 - Corvettes 😳

dave s 

I've read that Chevrolet didn't come on board supplying Corvettes till about midway the second season. The show producers had to buy them off dealer lots until Chevrolet/GM marketing realized the show could sell Corvettes.

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

"The Invaders" was full of Fords.

David Vincent's 1966 convertible:

01-beachhead-screen-shot-1.png?w=766

Now that's a show I had completely forgotten about! My mother controlled the TV and if she didn't like it I didn't get to watch it. And she didn't like sci-fi or edgy humor.🙄

• Haha 1

I think the  60's were ripe with automotive brand placement. At the end of most show episodes it will read 'Automobiles furnished by ________'. In the later episodes of Hazel there are Mustangs thrown into the mix, Gomer Pyle USMC had Chrysler, Bewitched had Chevy. One episode in particular of Bewitched has Samantha meeting with her lady friends for some reason. When they go to the parking lot there is a line of about 10 new cars, all SS Chevelles, SS Camaros, and Corvettes ca. 1968 or so.

Jump ahead to the 70's and the best of all is Jim Rockford's Firebird!

Anyone remember Bullit? That Mustang was sold after production and McQueen tracked it down and tried to buy it, but the owner didn't want to sell.

Was restored and sold a few years ago. Probably the up there in the famous catagory.

4 hours ago, TAKerry said:

One episode in particular of Bewitched has Samantha meeting with her lady friends for some reason. When they go to the parking lot there is a line of about 10 new cars, all SS Chevelles, SS Camaros, and Corvettes ca. 1968 or so.

image.png.2b2f5b4faaa44c55e30a549facf7de44.png

• Like 2

Wikipedia: The main setting for most episodes is the Stephenses' home at 1164 Morning Glory Circle, in an upper-middle-class suburban neighborhood, either in Westport, Connecticut or Patterson, New York as indicated by conflicting information presented throughout the series. Many scenes also take place at the fictional Madison Avenue advertising agency McMann and Tate, where Darrin works.

I found this interesting because Elizabeth Montgomery actually had a home in Patterson, New York.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John348 said:

Pontiacs in "My Three Sons"

And Chevrolets. One (or more) seasons ran Chevrolet ads behind the credits at the end of the show. 

7 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

This may be too old for a lot of you but — The Diana Shore show was sponsored by Chevrolet. 
Some may remember— see the USA in your Chevrolet………

dave s 

Yes I remember it well so I guess I’m officially old.

• Haha 1

Ford appears to have supplied cars to Father Knows Best.  The early seasons, the Andersons had a Mercury but for the later episodes switched to sensible black Ford Custom 300's.  One episode, Margaret enters a contest, wins a "$6,000 automobile" which turns out to be a 1958 Lincoln Premiere two door hardtop.  Of course, such an expensive and conspicuously profligate car wasn't appropriate for them to keep.

'57 Ford Custom 300 - Father Knows Best.jpg

'58 Lincoln - Father Knows Best.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Who remembers Lois Lane's Rambler convertible from The Adventures Of Superman?

Pin on 1950s

Everyone! That seems to be the only way anyone younger knows that a Nash Rambler ever existed by Superman reruns.  Every time a Nash Rambler appears for sale, Lois Lane's name is always invoked to remind everyone who the famous character was associated with these quirky little cars...that or "Beep, Beep" by the Playmates. 

• Like 1

I fell asleep the other night watching Perry Mason, and woke up with Petticoat Junction (horrible show) there was some red late 60's Plymouth Convertible in the episode just before the closing credits which mentioned "All vehicles furnished by Chrysler Corporation" 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1