Fire. Fire. Fire

ramair

76CFADB4-9286-4DD2-8EEC-92FC92FE7C43.jpeg.458d28aba49319659301159d87323df4.jpegUnfortunately Tuesday night I lost my shop to fire.  The building was built by my great grandfather in 1905 out of redwood, it was used as a barn for draft horses.  In around 1950 it was repurposed as a shop, corrugated sheet steel was wrapped around it and it has been a fantastic shop ever since.  The last few years we have bought all kinds of new toys to add along with professional electrical conduit and circuit breakers.  Besides that heartbreak I also lost my 1916 Buick Big Six D-55 touring.  That car was the model that my great grandfather bought new in 1916 to replace his horse. I looked for that same model for many years and as some of you know that their are not to many left.  On a minor note we lost 3 modern GMC trucks ect.  Tomorrow the fire investigators will be on site.  We have evidence that I cannot talk about now that will show that we were not negligent.  However I would recommend to all, spend some money for a professional monitored heat sensor alarm and if you have a gas line either propane or natural gas shut it off when you are not using.  Gas did not start the fire but once the fire got going and the beam gave way holding the ceiling heater a 1” gas line turned into a flame thrower which consumed the building quicker than quick. I will apologize for some reason all my photos are posting sidewaysF19C3CB3-D718-4EF5-80DD-D9BD49C1EE6E.jpeg.effe3b71ab7bd31943d1412301907074.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks, it took me 5 days to post this,   I know now in my heart how bad it must be for others to loose everything including their house.  Our house is less than eighty feet from my shop and we had hot embers landing on it.  We were lucky as within 20 minutes we had five fire companies from many small towns in our valley. So I have my house, my business can still operate although I find myself borrowing tools from neighbors and I relocated my other collector cars.  So we are actually blessed

• Like 1

🥺

I truly hate to hear this. 

Longtime friends lost a garageful of cars, tools and memorabilia to a lightning strike fire last summer. I myself experienced a fire in a rented garage space in 1999 in which I was fortunate to have only smoke and water damage because the fire was in the restaurant above the space.

You never get over it. It is always in the back of your mind.

Hi, RamAir...  Sorry to hear about your devastating fire...  Keep us all posted on the outcome and clean up.  Maybe we can all watch for another Big Six Buick for you!  You will be in our thoughts and prayers.  Greg

Ramair, Sorry for the loss. I had a similar experience a few years ago. I lost my shop, all my tools, unknown amounts of lumber, and a car  being restored. I hope your insurance is good. I was very fortunate in that I was double covered, and my agent is also a friend that went to bat for me. Good Advice about the gas line. When all is settled I would like to hear how it started. It may save another. Good Luck!

Thank you all for the positive thoughts.  63RedBrier thank you for wanting to look for another Buick for me, however fortunately I have another that was stored 100’ away. Notice that it is also painted resale red and is actually a 1915 so body and fenders are not as streamline 5CA97686-9011-47E0-9BB3-CE9630450DDC.jpeg.e7f617c0a15a99b136933cffee82f53c.jpeg

Edited by ramair (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It is hard to find words to express how sad I was to read this. you lost more then a car, a building etc. it was a family treasure. Keep us informed how you are doing, we are fellow enthusiasts and care about how you are managing to cope with such a tremendous loss. In all sincerity my best wishes for you  after this heartbreaking  chapter in life. 

Walt

• Like 3

Ramair - I wish I had words as elegant as Walt’s but know we are all feeling sick for your loss. Hopefully the insurance will make you feel a little better. I recently went thru an insurance hassle and came out ok. Take your time, be calm and rational. They will just be doing their job based on what an unknowing adjuster is telling them the value, negotiate in a logical calm method and point out their errors in valuation. It worked for me, it was frustrating but worth not showing that to them. Good luck. 
dave s 

• Like 1

Mr. Ramair, I'm sorry to hear of your car and barn.

However, nothing can destroy the support you get

from friends and family, and your enjoyment of the

hobby! 

When you get a new storage building, it can be

non-combustible.  Maybe a steel rigid frame with steel

siding and roofing;  maybe concrete-block walls with

light-gauge steel roof trusses.  Even a commercial

sprinkler system.

May you continue and do more and better things.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your shop and your cars.

I'm hoping everything works out for you and the mental scarring is not too bad.

Sad to hear this. All my life I have been almost terrified of fire, or the potential of losing so much of what matters to me because of it. So far, luck, and care, have kept me from losing much to fire. However, somehow, a lot of people around me have suffered devastating losses. I have seen the damage, and the personal pain caused by fires.

And I know the big Buicks well also. Two longtime friends have the big Buick touring cars of 1915/'16 I have ridden in both of them. Very sad that you lost one, happy that you still have the other.

Take care, get through this.

• Like 1

I thank everyone for their kind words,  I want to reiterate what I have said earlier,  I am lucky and other than my usual “would of , could of, should of” self analysis I am ok and this experience has made me realize what horrific losses that befall some people.  I don’t think I will ever look at a news story about fire and loss without it effecting me.  

So sorry for your loss.  It happened to me in 2006, the little two car garage had my dads first car in it as well as being the space that was my livelihood at the time. I would have rather lost the house. Very glad all people were spared. 

Gossp,  after hearing your story of what happened to you and how you felt reminded me of a story that my grandfather told me about watching my great grandfather build the barns and house.  The story goes that all the good lumber went to protect the horses, cows and feed, the left overs were used on the house, never gave it much thought then.  In 1991 I inherited the house and started a complete remodel and found out he was not lying 

9 hours ago, ramair said:

Gossp,  after hearing your story of what happened to you and how you felt reminded me of a story that my grandfather told me about watching my great grandfather build the barns and house.  The story goes that all the good lumber went to protect the horses, cows and feed, the left overs were used on the house, never gave it much thought then.  In 1991 I inherited the house and started a complete remodel and found out he was not lying 

Typical old farmer. Build the barns and silo on decent ground. Build the house on the edge of a field that is hard to farm, or does not grow much.  

• Like 1

Along with others, I'm sorry to read this about your loss and property damage.

I sincerely hope your insurance is adequate enough to cover both the building and the contents that were inside at the time of the fire.  Upon rebuild, investing in a good sprinkler system may be in order, which should suppress any future fires, should they occur either from within the structure, or external forces of nature California receives with regularity when its dry. 

Craig

We have decent insurance, but it looks like they will pay a good percentage of what we paid for machinery, however we are in “sticker shock on how much cost have gone up for machines and tools let alone steel buildings in the past year. I would suggest to all out there to talk to their insurance company about this. The other sad issue for us is estimated time to get items replaced.  Maybe not a issue for some, but we use this shop to maintain a vegetable and vineyard operation.  During the fire I briefly wished I had spent the money on a sprinkler system, however the first thing we lost was power and the power company could not restore for 3 hours.  We are rural and generate our own water and pressure. I was to busy moving  tractors and antique cars from nearby buildings to figure out were the nearest diesel booster pump was, how to get it there and hook it up, I am sure I will run through in my mind what order and what priority I used and what I would do differently in those first few minutes ,

Michael

Michael, don’t take the insurance companies first offer. In a friendly clam manner negotiate the cost of every single item in the fire, down to the oldest screw diver even if it didn’t work. If they refuse to give you a more equitable offer based on current replacement cost start looking for a good lawyer. Tell the lawyer what the replacement cost is and what the Ins co is offering and base his fees on the results of how much above the original offer is. You are going to be out cash no matter what so go out and get the equipment you absolutely need to run your business. Usually a lawyer will get a lot more blood out of the stone called an ins co than you can ever imagine. I think this is the worst part of any tragedy like this.  

Good luck. 
dave s 

• Like 2

When my shop/barn burnt I had what I thought was good insurance. Unfortunately I lost about 3x's the value of what I had insured for, which was still quite high. The adjuster looked at the loss compared to what the coverage was and didnt even argue about writing a check. The value of the building itself was questioned though and thats where my agent stepped in. We had a go back and forth several times before the correct amount was settled.

Sprinklers are now required in all residential buildings in my county now. Garages and shops are optional. Our county is pretty rural, I dont know if I have heard of a sprinkled house catching fire recently but my thought process all along has been that typically once a fire starts the electric goes out pretty quick. What is going to run the sprinkler pump?

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I am glad your home was not involved and no one was hurt. I was on the local fire department for 21 years and saw my share of how devastating fires are. It is always such a sad sight to see what people have lost and the pain on their faces. I tried to be very mindful of what the owners were going through at the time and be very respectful of that. I wish you the best.

Scott

WARNING, please do not look at the photo if you are under 21, squeamish, faint at the sight of blood or have trouble sleeping at nightA5C02FF0-E661-4BA3-BBC5-B97AE1BD7A18.jpeg.4123b7261d99f40c31c76e1426977253.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Stude Light said:

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I am glad your home was not involved and no one was hurt. I was on the local fire department for 21 years and saw my share of how devastating fires are. It is always such a sad sight to see what people have lost and the pain on their faces. I tried to be very mindful of what the owners were going through at the time and be very respectful of that. I wish you the best.

Scott

I agree on going to a fire.  When I was on the department I hated to go to fires because it really changed peoples lives.  Medical runs at least gave the patient a chance to get back to a "normal" life, most of the time.

Larry, can you give me advice on how to correct picture orientation, I never had trouble before , could be heat exposure on the phone or me?

So sorry to hear about your troubles.  I had a similar experience about 25 years ago when I lost a 300 foot long ag building full of animals.  Fortunately I had my home intact two hundred feet away and the family was not affected except for a chunk of my income.  There are many good points here but besides the comment about sprinklers, I would suggest to anybody, to occasionally re read your insurance policy every couple of years.  They have a habit of taking things out,  or slightly changing wordage that works to your disadvantage and you could find yourself vastly under covered or even worse, when you didn’t realize it.  If nothing else, re-reading it is a great cure for insomnia.  I cant stress this enough because had I not seen a change before our incident, I would have only had 50% coverage for the same money, or what I called a back-door cut.  I asked to put a rider in to cover it, and everything turned out okay.  It’s very tedious and boring to read a policy with a fine toothed comb, but it can pay off.  You’ll never know until it’s too late.

Your salesman wants to be your friend when he sells the policy to you, but your real friend is your adjuster.  He can make or break it when It really counts.

One more thing, good point about cutting the gas or propane when you are not present, also kill the power and use battery cut-off switches on everything when you park them.   New batteries are cheaper than new buildings.  

Ouch....

Halftime of the Super Bowl, everyone went into kitchens, bathrooms, etc., etc., and insufficient wiring in an old house, caused an extra spark, and the house we were renting caught fire... what a nightmare... I feel your pain....

Firefighters were having a Super Bowl party at the firehouse, so at least they responded in record time.... We screwed up their party, though....

It was the Joe Montana - to John Taylor Touchdown in the last minute when the San Francisco 49ers upended the Cincinnati Bengals , whatever year that was.....

Like others said, nobody was hurt or killed, and you rebuild even better, when you can.....

Someone just sent me this, apparently it was posted on Facebook,  this helps answer the question if my freshly restored GMC pickup survived, actually it’s the first thing that I moved when the fire broke out28B019D9-2959-41D9-823B-763A737AA885.jpeg.9c53110a159f67629697217f715d2d29.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm very sorry for your recent catastrophe, ramair, and the loss of your vehicles and building. I'm glad nobody was hurt, and I'm glad you could save your old truck. I truly wish you the best and I'm sure there will be happier times in the future.