Mecum Auction in Florida today

Paul Dobbin

Several times today I managed to tune into the Mecum Auction in Orlando FL.   As an antique car guy, I didn't see much that interested me enough to watch more.    One million dollar car after another, then few 2 million dollar ones.   

Two main observations:

#1   The event looked like a Super Spreader event for of All forms of Covid.   Almost no masks and no social distancing in a state with one of the highest rates of infection.   People hugging and screaming in each others faces.  You won't find me having anything to do with that.  Vaxxed & Boosted and still wearing a masks and avoiding large group gatherings.

#2    Most vehicles were to new for me and mostly modified beyond what I consider tasteful.

$3    Why would two or more men bid $2,000,000 Ford Mustang designed to look like a fat Ferrari. or a 1949 Mercury total customized that it looked like a fugitive from the 50's.   Then 3.7 million for a 1966

they clamed to be a Shelby Prototype.   Good Grief!   

I guess I'm no longer a "Collector Car Guy" if that crap is the future of old cars.   

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

That Hirohata Mercury may be one of the most famous custom cars ever. No surprise at the selling price. On the other hand, many of the 442s went for stupid money. A lot of cars with questionable quality. Lots of bidders with waaaay more money than brains, apparently. I'm guessing being well lubricated helped.

• Like 7

But this was a premier event AND and famous people   were there to rub shoulders with, or be seen or whatever..............like the guy in the blue shirt with the white hair and mustache who chases classic cars so he can catch them and flip them .  🤩🤩🤩

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Walt G said:

But this was a premier event  

Mecum a premier event? Hell, I wouldn’t attend if you paid me........

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Naah, the biggest problem with all these TV shows is that some people (for some weird reasons) actually believe they are real auctions with real bidders/buyers/consignors/sellers and that money actually changes hands on each claimed transaction.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, TTR said:

Naah, the biggest problem with all these TV shows is that some people (for some weird reasons) actually believe they are real auctions with real bidders/buyers/consignors/sellers and that money actually changes hands on each claimed transaction.

Please help me understand how these auctions really work. Are they all theatrical performances?  Sorta like "wrasslin" or those fake reality shows?              

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Walt G said:

But this was a premier event AND and famous people   were there to rub shoulders with, or be seen or whatever..............like the guy in the blue shirt with the white hair and mustache who chases classic cars so he can catch them and flip them .  🤩🤩🤩

That guy was asked by the HiroHata Mercury owner to help sell the car after he passed on. They were both sitting in the car on the lawn at Pebble Beach were it won First in its class. I think Wayne picked the right auction.

Bob 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

That Hirohata Mercury may be one of the most famous custom cars ever. No surprise at the selling price. On the other hand, many of the 442s went for stupid money. A lot of cars with questionable quality. Lots of bidders with waaaay more money than brains, apparently. I'm guessing being well lubricated helped.

Yes, 65 Mustang coupe, nice car 200 cu.in.  six............$40K  waaaay more money than brains, & well lubricated!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Several times today I managed to tune into the Mecum Auction in Orlando FL.   As an antique car guy, I didn't see much that interested me enough to watch more.    One million dollar car after another, then few 2 million dollar ones.   

Two main observations:

#1   The event looked like a Super Spreader event for of All forms of Covid.   Almost no masks and no social distancing in a state with one of the highest rates of infection.   People hugging and screaming in each others faces.  You won't find me having anything to do with that.  Vaxxed & Boosted and still wearing a masks and avoiding large group gatherings.

#2    Most vehicles were to new for me and mostly modified beyond what I consider tasteful.

$3    Why would two or more men bid $2,000,000 Ford Mustang designed to look like a fat Ferrari. or a 1949 Mercury total customized that it looked like a fugitive from the 50's.   Then 3.7 million for a 1966

they clamed to be a Shelby Prototype.   Good Grief!   

I guess I'm no longer a "Collector Car Guy" if that crap is the future of old cars.   

Paul, I'm surprised you watched. I set the DVR came back four hours later and told my wife I was going to watch it. Less than ten minutes later I came back into the kitchen after scrolling it. The wife said aren't you going to watch it? I said DONE. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, f.f.jones said:

$1,900,000. on Saturday. Was that including all buyer fees ??

No.  Standard bidder fee: $200.  Gold level bidder fee: $500.  The bidder fee was a one-time fee for the entire auction.  Buyer's commission: 10% on site bidder, or 12% telephone or on-line bidder.  Plus 7.5% FL & Osceola County tax.  And there may be a title fee as well.  The minimum buyer commission was $1k for a car, $500 for a motorcycle.

Hammer prices for some of the Chevelles, 442s, GTOs, Camaros, Mustangs, etc., were insanely high...probably directly proportional to alcohol intake.  (There was a bar in the auction hall.)  However, there were several deals to be had on CCCA Full Classics, including a very nice looking, running, and driving 1930 Pierce-Arrow which went for $18k.  (My wife was pissed at me for not bidding on it.)  Also a 1931 Lincoln dual-windshield touring car with poorly done interior which was driven across the block for $32k, a 1930 Lincoln 4-passenger coupe which barely met reserve for $42k, a 1925 Rolls Royce Shooting Brake which looked okay for $22k, a 1919 Baker electric which also barely met reserve for $50k, and a 1917 McFarlan boat tail roadster, (with a rear body section which looked like it had been made from a wooden boat,) for $17k.  All prices are excluding commissions and fees.  There was an especially nice and quite rare 1929 Franklin Victoria Brougham with bidding stalled at $40k.  The Franklin had been professionally restored for $142k in 2006 and all receipts and restoration photos came with the car.  The owner said he'd put 1.5 miles on it since it had been restored.  He started it and it seemed to run fine.  I asked him what his reserve was and he said it didn't matter, as he will sell the car for whatever it is bid to by the end of the auction on Sunday. 

And yes...thousands of people elbow-to-elbow on the floor in the auction hall, having to scream in each other's faces to be heard over the deafening, amplified sound of the auctioneer.  Even though there were signs at the door restricting entrance to bidders only, I saw non-bidders enter without being challenged.  There was a separate section of bleachers in the hall for the non-bidders although there weren't a lot of people sitting there.  It was fairly easy to keep others at a double-arm's length in the tents while looking at the cars, but not so in the auction hall. 

Besides my wife and I, there were barely a handful of people wearing masks.  

Although all pictures were provided by the sellers, Mecum has them locked on their site to prevent copying.  I was able to do screen shots and then save them for my own reference, but won't post them here due to potential copywrite infringement.  I took a few pictures of cars I was interested in while there.  Although lighting was not good, here's a sample.  1929 Franklin, 1930 Lincoln Coupe, 1931 Packard shovelnose sedan, 1933 Hudson Essex Terraplane rumble seat roadster, and a gorgeous 1929 Essex boat tail, rumble seat, roadster which crossed the block for $135k.

IMG_3851.JPG

IMG_3834.JPG

IMG_3858.JPG

IMG_3806.JPG

IMG_3813.JPG

IMG_3782.JPG

• Like 2

It's been a zoo down there this week. Amongst the crazier ones I saw was a 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, in all of its ticky tacky wood panel stickered glory, hammer a couple days ago for $155,000 after fees. It wasn't even some sort of ridiculously low mile time capsule original survivor, but rather some high mileage one that had been allegedly frame off restored (I.e. not as well assembled as they were from the factory).  I have lots of seat time in Grand Wagoneers, and there is no way that driving one can put a smile on your face that's worth $155k.  My wife had to help me find my eyeballs after they fell out of my head. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, 39BuickEight said:

I don’t understand how, if only 12 Hemi ‘Cuda convertibles were made, is there always one for sale?  I think I’ve seen 100 of them over the years.

Yup. I think all 150 of the 96 original 1970 W30 4spd convertibles have been for sale in the last year.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, alsancle said:

If you are going to buy one of those, best step up for the paperwork car.

Easier said than done. All W30s were built at the Lansing plant, and Lansing did not leave build sheets in the cars. If one is lucky, you will sometimes find a Fisher Body broadcast card in the interior that will show the W30 code, but even then it has been documented that cars built prior to Dec 1969 didn't get that code.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

From what I see on those auctions is that most of the bidders aren’t interested in a true antique car or truck. They are in the 30 to 50 year olds that want the resto mods and are willing to pay stupid money for them. Like what was said earlier, more money that brains. Mike

There's also the "must win" mentality. I've been to too many farm auctions locally (much more in line with my bank account 😉) where I've seen people pay more for a beat up used item than they could buy a new one for. They just had to win the bidding. More power to them.

• Like 4

Hammer prices seem to be much more realistic today...maybe because the rain has kept some away and dampened spirits.  The only Full Classic I was preregistered to bid on today (as a phone bidder,) was a 1931 Packard Light Eight, and it's been withdrawn.  

That 1929 Franklin series 13 model 135 from the photo looks pretty good. It wears a 1928 Franklin lion hood ornament - the 1929 cars all had just a plain cap, but the lion was often added by many people who restored the cars post WWII era. From what I know or have seen they were not a factory option in 1929. Perhaps it may be missing the front license plate bracket as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Walt G said:

That 1929 Franklin series 13 model 135 from the photo looks pretty good. It wears a 1928 Franklin lion hood ornament - the 1929 cars all had just a plain cap, but the lion was often added by many people who restored the cars post WWII era. From what I know or have seen they were not a factory option in 1929. Perhaps it may be missing the front license plate bracket as well.

Here's some more pictures of it.  It was a very nice, clean looking car.  The owner is in a couple of the pictures.  He said it hadn't been started yet that day (Thursday,) but it fired right up without hesitation and quickly settled down to a smooth idle.  He's still sitting on a high bid of $40k, but if he's true to his word, he's going to let it go.  He told me he's not hauling it back to St. Louis.

1-1636387239404@2x.jpg

IMG_3848.JPG

IMG_3849.JPG

IMG_3850.JPG

IMG_3854.JPG

Screenshot_20220112-153057_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220112-153107_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220112-153109_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220112-153111_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220112-153113_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220112-153115_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220112-153124_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220112-153126_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220112-153130_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220112-153150_Chrome.jpg

• Like 4

I love to watch these things but my wife has different ideas. So I gotta kinda sneak it in. Whenever she hears the volume go to mute I get a 'are you watching the car auction?'

I dont think there is a lot of shenanigans going on but what you must realize is that it is a TV show. And they show the cars that they think the general public want see. Muscle cars and high end exotics. If you want to see all of the cars go through the line watch it on the mecum website. I like to see the muscle cars (my area of interest) and I also like the classics of which they rarely show.  I could care less if I never see another Porsche or Corvette go across the auction block, likewise a Ferrari, McClaren, or any other billion dollar car! I simply have ZERO interest in something like that. 

It did seem like the prices have reached stupid levels. Looked like an average sell price of $150k no matter the car. Lots of resto mods and even modest muscle cars selling for A$100k plus!!  And for the old stuff, a White tour bus that sold for well over $2 million, REALLY??

I have resigned myself to the reality that I will never be in the market for a super car but I dont understand the logic. Are they simply 'bragging rights' at the polo club? Seems like a lot of them with super low miles and fairly new are at all of the auctions. Do these guys buy one, tell all of their friends then sell it after a year? I dont get it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Franklin - interior fabric does not look correct. The 1929 series 135 and 137 are great driving cars if you don't have cracks in the valve seat on the cylinders. Yes the side draft cars of 1930-34 cars may be a bit better for sustained higher road speeds BUT a well sorted 1929 of the two of the three models I mention are great if sorted properly. A friend owned a series 135 sedan for decades and drove it to the Franklin trek every year and even back and forth to work from long island to the Bronx nearly every day!  the series 13 for 1929 is a good 50mph car at least.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Walt G said:

....like the guy in the blue shirt with the white hair and mustache who chases classic cars so he can catch them and flip them .

I wonder what the cut is for that guy when he "helps" someone sell their dad's or husband's beautiful old car. It would really be nice to know what kind of a fair price he gives on a few of the ones he flips. 

I have been in this hobby over 50 years, and have been involved with three major clubs in the New York area.  In all that time, I only know of one member of the different clubs, that ever brought a car at one of these auctions.  Matter of fact he brought two cars,  1953 Ford Panel truck street  rod and a 2014 Mercedes Benz.  This makes me  wonder, how many of these buyers belong to the AACA???? Or other clubs?

The other thing is I would like to see. Is the kitchens of these guys spending all this money.  I notice that when a guy spends a lot of money on a car, and his wife is sitting next to him, they kiss and smile at each other.  I can't see a guy spending this kind of money on a car and then telling the wife she can't have her $100,000 kitchen!! 

Just once, I would like to see the a guy buy a big money car and then turn to the wife and say "There goes our IRA, we will be having tuna fish tonight."

With the news media telling us how hard times are with Covid and everything else, what are these people's secret that they have so much money, they can buy a car with issues and not worry about it!  I guess if I ever win Powerball, I could be like that!

• Like 2

If you have problems with "collector car" prices, high end kitchen remodeling will drive you totally out of your mind. I have to help gut one on Thursday. One I really liked cost $200,000.+ in a new custom built home, two years later it was in a dumpster because the new owner had different likes. It is THEIR money, it allows skilled works to also make a living. 

Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1