"Clear-Out" Pricing?

I'm just curious if anyone else here comes across situations like this.

I called a fellow regarding some used parts for one of my cars.   Older fellow and very nice.  He tells me he's been collecting this stuff for years and now realizes he's got more than he can ever use and just needs to really start getting rid of it all before he drops dead.   He's ready to deal and clear this stuff out.   Fair enough.  I'm not bargain basement hunting for price but I appreciate a deal as well as the next guy.   I tell him what I need (really average parts, nothing super rare by any means) and he says " Pretty sure I got that stuff, I'll go out to the barn and check and get back with you tomorrow."    Which he does.

Trouble is, the price he gives me on each part is almost double what the parts are offered for at every other location I've found them.  A quick search of eBay on his part would confirm that he's way out of the ball park on pricing.  I was courteous and thanked him, saying I'd been lucky enough to source the parts locally and just moved on.

So now I'm wondering if the "amicable, tired old guy" is just his sales pitch?  I mean, if he's been in the game this long and knows his product (which he does) he'd have to have a realistic idea of  where the price point will sell a part compared to just sitting on a mountain of really over priced used parts.

Just to close this, I purchased the parts off eBay an hour after our conversation for just a hair over 50% of his asking price and that included the shipping.

Cheers, Greg

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

Greg, you can probably tell by talking to a person

whether he is sincere.  This man may truly be sincere.

We've all seen that prices on small collectible items may

vary quite a bit.  If the man is sincere and truly wants to

clear out his accumulation, tell him gently that prices 

are sometimes much less elsewhere.  He might not know.

He might appreciate knowing, too.

"He's ready to deal," you learned.  Maybe you need

some extra items and can get a big quantity discount.

• Like 3

Seen that sort of thing so many times. Sometimes, like John S mentions, you can tell if they are sincere, or simply full of BS. Sometimes it is hard to tell. Some people, are simply clueless. Nothing you can say to them will get through.

One of the biggest and for a long time best swap meets in the Northern half of Califunny is/was the Turlock meet at the end of January or beginning of February (it changes from time to time). Since I had family in Modesto, only a few miles away from Turlock, we started going to that meet in the 1960s when I was still in high school.

One of the very first times there, me just figuring it all out, there was a seller there that had a lot of mostly junk. Most of it wasn't automotive, but a lot of it was interesting. Very unusual early telephones, parts of windup phonographs, Dictaphones, a very old office intercom system. Odd, but interesting stuff. That first year, I asked about a lot of it. And a lot of other people wandered through, asking about things. The same line of bull kept coming out. It was rare, and it was his. If you were interested, you had to pay his price (always two to four times what you could buy better for in antique shops!). I, just a kid, tried to reason with him. If you didn't like it, he would take it home and smash it to pieces with a big hammer!

Next year, there he was, in the same spot. Same junk. Ridiculous prices. I talked to him a few times. Same line of bull, and if you didn't like it he was going to take it home and smash it with a hammer!

Next year, same. Except that I only spoke to him once. And I also noticed that nobody else was going in and looking at his stuff either!

For about ten more years, that fool was there, in his same space, with the same junk. Thousands of potential buyers that never set foot into his space, or even spent a few seconds looking as they walked by. As I wandered around for hours, searching for parts I wanted for my model Ts, Studebaker or Paige, every now and then, I would overhear people talking. And more than a few times, I would hear people mention "that fool and his overpriced junk is here again, right where he always is", followed by "Oh I haven't spoken to him in years!"

Clueless.

• Like 3

My gut feeling is this "amicable tired old guy" is just another seasoned hustler fishing for people he can take advantage of. He's looking for customers that aren't familiar with current parts pricing and don't know any better. There have been plenty of people like him in this hobby for a long time. You did the right thing by politely declining to buy anything and moving on. 

• Like 8

I recall one regular advertiser in a car magazine who, when you rang to enquire, would "check his stock" and then say yes he had a certain product and give a (highish) price, then run off and get it cheaper elsewhere to sell on to you. A friend who wanted to buy locally and didn't mind paying a bit more to get the part quickly was not impressed when he learn't this bloke's modus operandi.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

I have found several people recently that opined about aging and wanting to move their car and/or parts out. When push comes to shove they all ask unrealistic dollars. The stuff sits…….

I have experienced this more than once. I have also bought from sincere collectors who were reluctant to send possessions to auction and were glad to sell to someone who had an appreciation of the hobby and would get the items back into the hands of other collectors without a lot of hassle. It makes a difference if you're not trying to cherry-pick the collection and are willing to make a deal on the lot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

There is always the possibility that the seller does know his market and devoutly hopes you don’t. 

It makes me feel like a rat to think this because this fellow seemed so nice but my gut is telling me you're probably right.

With all the info available at one's fingertips today, when to comes to pricing anything in automotive world, I would suspect that genuine rubes with no brains and a pocket full of cash are getting harder and harder to come by.

I got into the hobby before I had a drivers license and have always been the youngest guy in the local car area. When the old guys moved to Florida or the there after I always got the call to clean out the unwanted parts. I've now outlived everyone with parts. I could throw away the stuff that didn't sell at Hershey, and not feel bad. Everything I bought to flip did sell and has been mailed. Maybe this winter I'll finish the AMT models I put away in 1967 after I did start driving. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

I have found several people recently that opined about aging and wanting to move their car and/or parts out. When push comes to shove they all ask unrealistic dollars. The stuff sits…….

I’ve posted about it before but it’s along the same tack as people bemoaning younger people not interested in the hobby while at the same time expecting to make a 4000% profit on a part that probably fits less than 50 vehicles remaining

Edited by hidden_hunter (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The prices may be high but if you can find it.. You were lucky to find it on eBay..

I list some stuff high. I find out 5 years goes bye.. I sell it at or close to my price..

Once the person gets quotes to make it.. and Thinks your price is OK..

The car parts are worth zero - until some needs it..  FYI..

post-139936-0-40019100-1438495550_thumb.jpg

IMG_6908.thumb.JPG.d3facd2f7241a704bdac273b87cb1140.JPG

IMG_3921[15748].JPG

51frs.jpg

19 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Perhaps leaving a part sit on whatever at a high price for years allows inflation and the market to catch up?

Inflation has been hard on all of us.. I just look at booking a hotel 650.00 or 1450.00 a night.. 

Make up for the year of shut down..  or the new norm..

• Like 1

If you buy a collection of parts for let's say $500. and fill the back of a pickup or van with a total of 250 pieces, not counting individual screws and washers, you have a bunch of $2.00 parts. One or two gems may bring you $750. on eBay, it is ok to sell the rest for way less than market price, or give the parts away. You can hold out to to get full market price on every remaining part, but most of those guys die before it happens. 

• Like 1

Most of the people in this hobby are better known for their passion than their business acumen.  The seller might just be seeing if he can sell it at that price, or may not know better.  Either he thinks you may not know what you're doing, or in fact he doesn't.   Hard to know which he's thinking!

Either way, just glad you found your parts...

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I don't know whether someone mentioned it above, but another option is the seller is a hoarder who is being pressured by his family to divest his collection.  He makes a half-hearted effort by asking high prices.  When nothing moves he tells others that "he tried"...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul Dobbin said:

GregL:aR,,

I think I've run into that guy at Hershey every time I've gone.  That's why it's called shopping.

Paul I see you have met me! 

19 hours ago, nick8086 said:

I may have 5 Kaiser Darrin Grills..

If they do not sell  them I will put them on the wall in the garage. My kid can sell them..

Nick

I used to think that as well, but I had a few friends of mine pass in the last 18 months and the children could care less about selling anything other then the house. You have some pretty rare parts, but just it might be just as rare as rare to find some who needs the part. I am at a point in my life now that while I am not giving it away I have no problem trying to get top dollar for some special parts I have not touched in 40 years and I don't see my self touching in the next 10 to 15 useful years (at the most) I got left. My kids are going to get enough, at least I am going to make sure that the parts I coveted all these years get to go in the right hands for the right amount of money as well, not in a dumpster or a scrap pile. It is GREAT to have a spare pare but maybe two grills, but 5?   

• Like 1

I got one of my kids that got the virus..  Likes old cars..

I think all my stuff is safe..  I put it in my will.. Stuff has to be stored until they remove it..

I would of had 10 Kaiser Darrin Grill. but dad sold them..

Two are on the cars and I found one in the shop..

The one in the picture was a Jay Fisher re-pop..  Very nice..

I have done 10 trips to the scrap yard also..

IMG_3788[15467].JPG

IMG_2126[3740].JPG

• Like 1

I have seen way too many old collectors hoard and also try to get their price no one wants to pay.

Then seeing or hearing of their parts being sold off or dumped for practically nothing.

Now I'm starting to sell off some of my parts and cars locally for realistic saleable prices. I'm not the old hoser guy..don't want that name!

I do it so the seller (me) and the buyer are both happy and got what they both wanted👍

• Like 1

Any of you wanting to divest yourself of your literature collections,  keep me in mind.  I'm always buying even very large lots.  This is the last one I bought. 

I did parts for years and gave the guy to buy my stuff a hell of a deal when I sold my shop.  $1000 and we'll fill your Uhaul.  Much of it NOS trim and all.  I remember what it's like to buy the crap to get the good stuff.  I gave him it all and made sure you could easily see your investment in just a few pieces so the rest would be profit.  I kept cleaning and he came back 3 more times from 2 states away.  Should have called him back a 4th tine for the rest of the big pile of NOS trim I have Including 75-100 Wheel Well moldings.  Just figured I would save those for a rainy day.  Last thing i wanted to do is clutter my new shop up with all the crap from my old shop. 

IMG_0590.JPG

• Like 1

I found at Hershey there were a lot of "clear-out pricing " and do beddas, and I'll give yaz types a few years ago wanting to "take away" my stuff I brought, but no so much this year fortunately and I didn't have to tell any one NO or Keep walking. You know the 20 cent on the dollar fraternity.  It was very pleasant and a welcome change.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Any of you wanting to divest yourself of your literature collections,  keep me in mind.  I'm always buying even very large lots...

Wish I had known a few years ago.  Sold a lot of stuff at auction when we moved - furniture, cars, literature, etc.  Dunno if you're into hot rod magazines but I had complete collections (30 - 40 years worth) of Rod Action, Street Rodder, StreetScene, and probably a couple others I can't recall.  I was a subscriber so they were mint and mostly in logo binders - only brought pennies.  Didn't want to move them and didn't expect them to fund my retirement, but I would have liked them to go to someone who really needed/wanted them.

2 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Wish I had known a few years ago.  Sold a lot of stuff at auction when we moved - furniture, cars, literature, etc.  Dunno if you're into hot rod magazines but I had complete collections (30 - 40 years worth) of Rod Action, Street Rodder, StreetScene, and probably a couple others I can't recall.  I was a subscriber so they were mint and mostly in logo binders - only brought pennies.  Didn't want to move them and didn't expect them to fund my retirement, but I would have liked them to go to someone who really needed/wanted them.

Unfortunately those rod magazines are tough sells.  I have a bunch of my own I have never tried selling because I saw others listed on ebay going nowhere.  I figured sales brochures and related material worked best for me.  I actually thew out a bunch of mint rodding magazines,  many still in the plastic sleeves when I sold my house.  When you need to clean out,  you do what you have to.  Wish I could have found a kid to give them to. 

Back in 2014 I gave away a 24 foot car trailer full of car parts for free. motors.. hood, doors.. Glass and Trunks lids.

We also had 4 auctions.. over a 20 year period..

I call everybody in the kaiser club told them I had stuff to move.. Not one person came and looked over the stuff..

Back in 2014 I was not very car savvy. Now I can look at a part and know if I should  keep it , sell it or pitch it..

Some times I am  getting the China effect.. Something that was worth $$  10 years ago. Now no one wants it..

I think dad had over 150 cars.. And a ton of parts..IMG_0039.thumb.jpg.c37cc8afb11ddb446ce048cfb1b068bb.jpg.4586fc98e3a9634cfc1f8298171dd585.jpg

1387019744_lotsofcars-Copy.jpg.4b384dd8e8cd253eba343d183be82be5.jpg

IMG_0039.thumb.jpg.c37cc8afb11ddb446ce048cfb1b068bb.jpg

IMG_1439.JPG

IMG_2021.JPG

IMG_4985.JPG

IMG_4986.JPG

IMG_5003.JPG

IMG_6025.JPG

IMG_6826.thumb.JPG.7b332d0572d5078363ee2cfe62f67ef7.JPG

IMG_6827.thumb.JPG.1b1f61d3c13f6dc117c14ea33adaa3fc.JPG

post-139936-0-80484500-1450411993_thumb.jpg

studud.thumb.JPG.a14563032a39acb5427b119a8c9c5218tt.JPG

1532019077_IMG_26637812.JPG.f585b777ea6740e501887d555516bb1b.JPG

IMG.jpg

IMG.thumb.jpg.7e1b7a53f0db5f2daf7351db0a465617.jpg

IMG.thumb.jpg.3884d9e8b1e97453318d2fd92cdd2e3e.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0016.thumb.jpg.52fe1aaea3c7670b56fd480ae2067651.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

On 11/5/2021 at 7:22 PM, John348 said:

My kids are going to get enough, at least I am going to make sure that the parts I coveted all these years get to go in the right hands for the right amount of money as well, not in a dumpster or a scrap pile.

That is my line of reasoning.  Sell for a high enough amount so that its an 'investment' for someone who either needs it, or may want to flip it ten years after I can no longer drive.  Giving parts away for next-to-nothing gives the impression its 'worthless' and increases the probability it it all be tossed in the dumpster.

Craig

• Like 1

I try to be fair and close to market value on mechanical things I sell with a couple of considerations. First I always price high enough to ensure the item is truly appreciated by the buyer. That is for the sake of the item so it is not treated too lightly.

If an item is in very good cosmetic and working order I will sell it for less than an item in lesser condition. A higher price on an inferior item compensates for the whining and griping when the buyer expects a cradle to grave guaranty and becomes a nuisance.

I will offer anything for sale. To select an item to throw away would take the decision away from the potential buyer. I would carry around a lot of guilt if I did not offer them the choice to buy.

I know how much I want for everything I own. Point to some thing and ask. You will get a price. I have not delusion that you will offer more than I want.

I may be a cynic but I am not a cryptic. I see these old cranks that post an allusion to sell and entertain myself imagining how they think.

Well, I better get out to the garage. I have some Hemi stuff to sell.

IMG_0024.JPG.a8794def293df4d088a962e40fcedbf2.JPG

On 11/5/2021 at 7:39 AM, EmTee said:

I don't know whether someone mentioned it above, but another option is the seller is a hoarder who is being pressured by his family to divest his collection.  He makes a half-hearted effort by asking high prices.  When nothing moves he tells others that "he tried"...

A lot of truth here.   In these situations they throw out the "I don't want to sell it" price.  Much rather keep it as it is part of their collection. 

Reading this makes me get a fire lit under my butt and get rid of a pile of Cadillac, Pontiac and Chevy parts I've had for too long cluttering up the attic of my friends shop for a few years! He's been more than patient. Was planning on taking them to swap meets 2 years ago and we all know that couldn't happen.

Time passes much too quickly when you hit your 60's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1