Hershey: wish we were there! Pictures of past Hershey.

dalef62

Here are a couple,

My wife representing Tom L. While carrying some Model A roadster fenders (photo opp, didn't make her carry them the mile back to the car!) 78, 80 degrees a great day! 2018.

Chocolate South a couple years earlier, hard at work finding Auburn Seeker a car...

20171005_115030.jpg

20181010_135441.jpg

• Like 1

I just said to my wife this morning that we should be packing for HERSHEY today, but!!!! I said we should take a drive and walk around the parking lots around the Giant Center. This is the first time we will not be heading to HERSHEY in 52 years. Oh well, let's hope 2021 will be better.

3 years ago we drove from one end of the car corral to the bridge/tunnel under hwy 39.  The distance I recall was 1 1/4 miles.

Last year the car corral went under the bridge/tunnel and past it up the grade.

This still does not include the distance around the cars for sale in the parking lot near the entrance.

While last year there seemed to be fewer cars in the corral, it is still a wonderful

walk-bout, ...........back in time..............!!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

Fossil, I'm racking my brain to remember where I saw them, but somewhere there is a site that has the aerial views of HERSHEY over the years. It's amazing to see the transformation from then to now. I'll keep looking, perhaps someone else can jog my memory.

3 hours ago, Fossil said:

I've never been there but it must really be something. I wish someone would post an aerial photo or photos. Are we talking a square mile in area or larger? 

Same spots both years under that blue tarp upper left, across from Dale's food concession . Bob 

2006.jpg

2005.jpg

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To someone who has never been there that looks incredible. I'd have to take a scooter along as there is no way I could walk that. My wife wouldn't see me again until my batteries went dead. 😂

Thank you very much for the photos!!!!!!

Last year. My wife comes along for the first 2 days, helping me get the trailer situated. Then she scoots off to Thurmont, MD for Colorfest- a 4 day yard sale extravaganza. Here she is early in the morning, wondering when it’s going to warm up! We were married October 13, 1990- the last time I missed Hershey!

As I look at the picture, everything sold except one fender. Yeah, I miss Hershey.

6388D7E1-8015-4CC7-9438-F23519D1F452.jpeg

• Like 3

Today would have been set-up day at Hershey.  In years past we would get up early at the Sam's club parking lot and get to the flea market as soon as possible, sometimes earlier than the officials wanted.  Lol. Once the trailer was in place it was my job to set the fleas out as dad got us breakfast.

First picture is from 2016, second from 2014.

20161006_081613.jpg

20141007_100502.jpg

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here a few pictures from 2018 in or near our spaces in the Red Field North.  I missed Hershey due to illness last year, so I'm experiencing strong withdrawal symptoms this year.  I always travel to the Fall Meet on Tuesday to set up, so I'm really missing Hershey today.

20181010_145650_Burst01 (1).jpg

20181011_131310_Burst02.jpg

20181012_075307_Burst01 (1).jpg

20181012_080550 (1).jpg

20181012_081036 (1).jpg

• Like 2

On 10/5/2020 at 10:45 AM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Chocolate South a couple years earlier, hard at work finding Auburn Seeker a car...

20171005_115030.jpg

I kind of felt bummed I passed on that car,  but then I found Victoria.  Less money and in better shape,  plus I really wanted a phaeton.

Similar angle for comparison. 

I was really hoping to be wading through vendors and maybe find a set of dual pilot rays for her.  Still not crazy about the cyclops out front but It doesn't look as bad now as when I got it.  Would have been fun to search for a set of good nearly new take off tires as well to replace the ones that predate me on her. 

IMG_1463.JPG

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 31plymouth said:

White Field   1990 and 1998    Those were the days

Hershey mud.jpeg

Hershey MudII.jpg

Some romanticize the memory of the mud fields....   All I remember was how hard it was to walk through that slop and  how it permanently stained anything it came in contact with.   The paved fields are so so much better.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Fossil said:

How in the world do you know where to start looking in all that stuff?

If your goal is to see everything buy an AACA show guide and pick the field you want to cover. Take notes, note the number on the light pole if you plan to come back to that spot, that is Step ONE. Bob 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Fossil said:

How in the world do you know where to start looking in all that stuff?

My friends and I usually start walking through the car corral and see that first. Then we start at the farthest point of Orange field going up and down each isle and continue up and down each isle in each adjoining field going back towards their RV at the old airport. When we travel through the Red field we use a different isle in a particular section each morning and evening so we cover parts of that field as well just travel back and forth to the RV each day. Usually by the end of the week we have covered most of the fields. We do save a little time by skipping empty isles or ones filled parked vehicles that are not selling anything. During some years I have used a pedometer app on my phone to measure the distance I walked. My mileage varies between 12-17 miles. Needless to say early on I learned to wear comfortable shoes.  

My friends and I use a team approach at Hershey. We all kinda know what the others are interested in so we have multiple pairs of eyes scanning each flea market space. As were walking we are constantly asking "Did you see that XYZ part?" If someone missed it they check out the part the other person saw. This seems to work for us. My friends also have a custom make flea market cart that they use. The cart has a 6 foot fiberglass rod attached to it with a distinctive flag at the very top of the rod. That makes it very easy to find them even if they are far down a long isle.

• Like 1

First of all.... Those aerial shots in 2005 & 2006 --- HERSHEY is three times the size of that now....

Second of all .... Those Mud Shots --- and all of us old timers clearly remember HERSHEY Mud !!!l! --- the yellow field is not used anymore, and the Old Blue and White Fields are just used for parking --- so they are not nearly as bad as they used to be...

The Chocolate, the Red, the Green, and the Orange Fields are all paved, so the 50,000 vendors are all on asphalt....

Third of all .... How do you find things???? You ask.... That is the hunt and the quest....  You wear comfortable walking shoes, and you hunt... You formulate a game plan -- do one field at a time and don't miss aisles.... Look Left and Right, so you don't have to walk it twice...

If you have a 1913 vehicle -- the Chocolate and Red are your most likely spots to find it... If you have a 1950s vehicle --- the Red, Green, and Orange are best, but the Chocolate might still be okay.

You NEED minimum of three (3) days to do HERSHEY correctly....

Anyone who says they did all of HERSHEY in a day missed 75 % of it or more...

It continues to be the undisputed # 1 CAR SHOW & SWAP MEET in the history of the Universe !!!!!!!!!  Just NOT in this wonderful year we call 2020........

Edited by mobileparts (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

mobileparts I completely agree. I recall the CCCA spaces being in the Blue field and I gave a talk one day to the crowd there, probably on a Saturday? Anyway one fellow with a beard furiously took notes while I spoke , kinda looked like Rasputin, after it was all over he came up and smiled and said "Hi I am Ken Karger" from then on he and his wife Mermie were close friends and even came here to long island for a visit, All of this had to be 35+ years ago. 

I really miss being at Hershey at this moment right now. Look forward to 2021.

Edited by Walt G
usual typo! (see edit history)
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, mobileparts said:

Anybody take note -- or punch up "HERSHEY weather" for this week??

Five (5) glorious days of perfect weather -- not an ounce of precipitation.....

Wonderful.

Come on quit pouring salt in the wound. Seems alot of event weekends this year that didn't take place had wonderful weather.  Next year we'll probably be plagued with terrible weather for all of them. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Come on quit pouring salt in the wound. Seems alot of event weekends this year that didn't take place had wonderful weather.  Next year we'll probably be plagued with terrible weather for all of them. 

One year there was light snow there, main thing was WE WERE THERE. 

Bob 

• Like 3

Have to love Hershey for the opportunity to encounter some of the oddities and curiosities offered by carmakers at times, to wit: 

During the immediate post-WWII years, the color combination of green exterior with red interior was available.   This '49 Dodge Wayfarer appeared in that combination last year.

The HPOF class is a favorite as well, with preserved original cars still equipped with mechanisms that were frequently removed when they became troublesome: Hudson Drive-Master semi-automatic shifting contraption.

'49 Dodge Wayfarer green-red interior.JPG

'49 Hudson - Drivemaster.JPG

• Like 1

I miss going to Hershey and seeing all the corral cars and vendors. Next year will be bigger and better. Looking forward to the Gettysburg National Meet.

IMG_1612.JPG

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Our shop is only about 45 miles from Hershey.  We are leaving in a few minutes just to drive up and look at the empty fields and maybe shed a tear.  I have been at Hershey this week every year for over half a century. Can't let the week pass without at least doing a drive by so as to not to break my 53 year streak and my Son's 38 year streak. I understand I will not be the first one to have some of my ashes scattered at Hershey when the time comes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think this would have been only my 5th year.  I too feel everybody's pain.   The great weather doesnt help either. The only good thing that happened is that my nephew decided to get married this Friday after numerous failed attempts due to cancellations- so I would have had to cut out Thursday night.  I think that would have been more disappointing than not going at all!!   I told him he had better make this marriage work - if he ever got married again on Hershey week I wouldn't be there....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bob

I recall the year there was light snow at Hershey. Austin Clark rented a motor home and drove it down and parked it on his spaces in the Blue ( now roller coaster) Field. He set up a folding table outside the door and put out a sign that he had postcards for sale. These were the ones that he did the photography for and sold via his museum. ( while it was open and then after it closed) Anyway a few of Austin's friends were invited to sit and visit in the motor home and consume some refreshments. Since it was cold enough to snow that would mean that "adult beverage of a certain octane" was in order. Everyone was very very happy. Lots of assorted club officials etc in attendance. Austin apologized at least twice that the " dancing girls would not be present this year". A few of us took turns going out to sell post cards or post card sets to the frozen people walking by.  I have so many stories of the adventures in motor car activities with Austin - I wish we had more people around like him today. 

Walt

• Like 1