Hershey: wish we were there! Pictures of past Hershey.

dalef62

On 10/7/2020 at 10:50 AM, charlier said:

My friends and I use a team approach at Hershey. We all kinda know what the others are interested in so we have multiple pairs of eyes scanning each flea market space. As were walking we are constantly asking "Did you see that XYZ part?" If someone missed it they check out the part the other person saw. This seems to work for us.

With the advent of the iPhone, we are now able to take a photo and text each other when we see something that may be of interest to the other, and it works VERY well for us at the Portland Swap Meet.  

Craig 

And here we sit at home, looking outside at good weather ( ie not wet) and thinking how we could be smelling the chocolate in the air, refusing silly offers on the stuff we brought to sell from the 'wood joo take' and "I'll give youse" boys. Also listening to the totally annoying tinkle of the soda cans tied to the front of the electric carts transporting people about

seeing the expressions on the faces of the ever patient wives and girl friends walking next to their companions who are looking to spend $ on used car parts , old paper, and supplies to help rebuild the used cars that sit in the garage while the modern car sits out in the weather .

And it will be another whole year before we hopefully can be able to enjoy doing this once again. This would have been my 55th year in a row attending, the very best being the last 26 because my son was along to also enjoy the experience.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It was kinda nice to set up at Luray this year.  Not Hershey by any means, but great to see early stuff, handle rust, get greasy fingers going through boxes of parts, and passing money around buying and selling some goodies.  Most of all, it was the sounds - the talk about old cars, parts, friends you'd not seen in a year, the rustle of plastic tarps in the morning as stuff gets uncovered, and the clanking of metal being tossed around.  I could close my eyes and it was Hershey again.   I enjoyed the feel of crisp fall air, sharing our discoveries, a sip of whisky in the evening and tales of Hershey meets from long ago.  I've got a ton of photos and some slides but 07 was the first year I saved some digital pics on my PC.  Here are a few, especially the first one of one some of our judges. Sadly, some of them are no longer with us.  The best memories are old ones.

Terry

IMG_0669.thumb.JPG.f8791a7471491f5cca2630b50fb43ae3.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0646.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just a thought that keeps coming back to me. Is there or could there be an electronic want board that people from out of area could post on for the Hershey event? 

Out here in the middle of nowhere finding parts can be a real trial. I know you can do it on this site but I'm guessing there are a lot of venders that aren't members here. 

I keep looking at and drooling over these photos and wish I could attend. For some of us going to those events is just not practical. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 8E45E said:

With the advent of the iPhone, we are now able to take a photo and text each other when we see something that may be of interest to the other, and it works VERY well for us at the Portland Swap Meet.  

Craig 

We use smartphones and texting at Hershey if we get separated to do the same thing you posted about above. I have also taken photos of flea market items and texted them to friends who could not attend Fall Hershey that I thought or knew would be interested in an item and offered to buy the item for them. I do that simply as a favor for a friend and get nothing out of it. Sometimes vendors were willing to do business this way and sometimes not. Their gain or their loss.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 11:46 AM, Restorer32 said:

OK, just back from Hershey. Those big empty lots made it seem like a scene from The Twilight Zone. I will post a pic or two tomorrow. Just seemed so strange. 

No offense but please don't...

This year was supposed to be the first time we could actually make the trek and seeing photos of a bare lot may send me into years of counseling.

Thanks to all for posting memories. Can't wait till Oct 2021 to create our own...

Please keep the photos coming to ease the pain this weekend 

A shot my Dad took in 1966. I was in my first year of college so didn't go. Went a couple of times in the mid 60s. I remember the first time we went with a family friend that spent Winters restoring brass. We pulled into his spot and put a sign on the back of his car saying he would be open at noon. We then took off walking, he wanted to do a quick walk through the whole flea market to catch any bargains. We came back by noon he set up a card table and displayed his brass on the table and in the trunk. Between what was already sold, just being delivered, and the crowd of people waiting for him to open, he was sold out in a few hours. He closed the trunk and we walked the flea market the rest of that day and the next two more slowly looking for hidden gems. 

Hershey 1966.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Only cure for the “no Hershey blues” this morning.......I’d to take a car out and drive it. Here’s to next year.......and I think I shall take an extra week off to make up for this years loss..........

49019F81-1AF7-4DB1-B97F-F47F4E7E5957.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

and I think I shall take an extra week off to make up for this years loss..........

I think I will take more time off in 2021 and attend more AACA Nationals or at the very least  a couple more days off to spend at Fall Hershey 2021.

This past week I got to thinking while driving to work in the mornings. Seeing the clouds with the sun peeking out from behind them along this temps in the 40-50s got me thinking about the early mornings in the Hershey flea market with it's sights, sounds and smells of vendors cooking their breakfast. The many photos in this thread also serve as a reminder of all the good times I have had there and the future good times to come. 

• Like 4

JIm

Thanks for the b & w views of Hershey in 1965 and 1966. 1965 was my first year there - drove down with a friend in his 1947 Hudson coupe , stayed overnight friday and walked around Saturday as it wasn't a week long event then. My "prize" in 1965 was the purchase of a brass side light - always wanted a brass light and a Neverout side light was the treasure I paid $12 for ( down from the marked $15) and since I went with friends, when I got home told my folks I paid $8.00 for it because $12 for a dirty tarnished lamp seemed like a lot of money for a kid sill in high school ( used some of the lunch money I had saved up and was given each week) .( yes I still have that light and it is sitting here beside me)  My parents went the next year and we went as a family for decades , drove down in our 1960 Plymouth Fury III station wagon as it was modern transportation.

At this time this year if it had taken place  I would be seeing my German friends arriving here at the house for a visit and meal before they would go to JFK airport for the long trip home.

Need to lift my spirits after typing this so will go out and sit in my 1930 Packard touring and have a cup of coffee and then also sit in the 1940 Buick Roadmaster parked next to it for a while. Go out in your garage and give your cars a pat on the fender and think that next year will be on its way. Stay well all.

Walt

• Like 3

2020 would have been the 50th anniversary of Bill Oexle showing and winning with his 1922 MERCER Raceabout, first AACA winner I got to work on and prep for the show. John Craig had his 1910 Hupmobile as well. That was the start of my desire to have a Model 20 Hup, goal is to put the 1911 I have now together as a runner for Hershey 2021. Hope everyone I missed in 2020 is there in 2021. Bob 

On 10/9/2020 at 10:39 AM, John348 said:

Sadly my good friend John White who was my hotel room mate at Hershey for the past 20+ years passed away this summer. He is shown in the photos. Even if it were still on I don't know if I would go this year with his passing

Scan0006.jpg

Scan0007.jpg

B.jpg

Yes, John was a great fellow. He is missed1

.The picture preceding with the four Flee Marketeers is missing my intended note'

from the left,  ages 98,  87,  80,  an 81 the picture by the baby of 80

/////////////////////////////

Traveling from  Michigan, I was at Hershey on Friday of HERSHEY WEEK TO KEEP MY 57 YEAR RECORD OF  BEING THERE IN TACT !!!

A friend of many years from Fulton NY, whom I met at Hershey years ago, supprised me by traveling from Fulton NY to meet me.

Our wives met and we all enjoyed the meeting.  A comment from the wives was " how can thay talk about cars so often and for so long on the phone". 

We all enjoyed the mini meeting at HERSHEY.

Also traveled the entire FM area and took pictures of our empty spaces.

HERSHEY IS THERAPUTIC !!

I made an appointment to go thru Chocolate World, to keep my streak of taking home Kisses for my wife. Hey, we were married during Hershey week 30 years ago. I then visited my Swap Meet spaces and daydreamed there was a big crowd. Then a trip to the Museum rounded out the day. I don’t care who wins the election, give me my vaccination. Hershey 2021 must not be screwed up!

78F0FCCB-9E0F-4F88-81A2-B7606188A2AF.jpeg

• Like 2

Hans1 and Greenie thank you for the photos, what a strange eerie feeling I get when viewing those photos . Any other time of the year it wouldn't be that way for me, or if the whole car scene hadn't been shut down by the China flu with so little or no activity. AS mentioned Hershey 2021 must not be screwed up , everyone wear a mask and get a vaccination when available. Just about 51 weeks until we can all be there hopefully once again.

I wonder if some doctoral candidate will to a thesis and study why tens of thousands of people from around the world are in a state of depression in October 2020 because they couldn't spend thousands of $ to be in central Pa. to attend an annual gathering of enthusiasts of used cars, who look at used or new 60+ year old parts and have a show of a 1,000 used cars/vehicles on display for awards for same. How many here reading this get a pang of excitement when you see the road signs noting the routes ,exits, etc as you get closer to Hershey? The big H. DO you feel like you did when you were 5 years old and Christmas or you favorite holiday was but 24 hours away ? You know that that anticipation is just so true and that the experience you will have is even better then what you hoped for. Seeing all the people on line waiting for tables at local restaurants justifies that you are not totally crazy as all your relatives have thought you were for years - see they are just like you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My first Hershey was 1979 and I didn’t know enough to bring a camera. There was a very nice 1940 Dodge sedan in a two-tone green in the show that I lusted after. Anyone have any photos from 1979 that they could post? 

thx Phil

Like Greenie I stopped by the flea market last Monday on the way to the Museum as part of the Hangover.  Was a really wet, cold day so we went modern and the pic is of my car on my Chocolate field spot.

1255304975_hershey2020.thumb.jpg.69a43854acb5d4fba138b9e0a3f8d9a8.jpg

Coker would be in the background, the crowd was REALLY light, sales were slooow but parking on my spot was really easy!  Can't wait for 2021!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1