Will you go to Hershey, if?

trimacar

Ed, it is a deal...I'd be happy to host you and anyone else!  However, I firmly believe (hope) that we will be good to go by October but as I said with probably a lot less handshaking and a lot more precautions by everyone.  Let's all pray that the powers to be get us out of this mess soon and we can get on with our new normal way of living.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, edinmass said:

Having been friends with David for twenty five years, I can confirm he isn’t virtual; but he is virtuous!😇

Not sure about that....I'm glad every time Ed can enjoy the pleasure of my company...as I tell my grandkids when they leave after a visit, "Glad you could see me again!"

• Like 1

I'll be there.  “Social distancing” to “flatten the curve” doesn’t, in itself, reduce the overall number of people who will eventually catch the virus. All it does is drag out the number of infections over a longer time period in order not to overwhelm healthcare facilities all at once. True, by not overwhelming doctors and hospitals, lives are saved for those that require the intensive care a hospital that is not in code black can provide. And by buying some time, scientists may (I hope) come up with treatments that help and perhaps a vaccine. But there’s no guarantee that an effective vaccine will ever be developed. Eventually, even with a flat curve, ALL of us are going to be exposed to the virus at some point in the future, unless you seal yourself in your house and never interact with another person for the rest of your life. But that’s not living in my opinion. Some of us will catch it, recover and gain immunity, strengthening the herd. Some of us won’t recover. That’s Darwinism for all to see. It is a law of nature that cannot be denied despite our belief in modern medicine. I realize that this comes across as cold and heartless, and if I had friends or family who were struck by the virus, I would probably feel differently. But I think that putting aside emotions and using logic I would come to the same conclusion. At some point in the very near future, we’re going to have to decide if we want a functional society and economy, or a country populated by hermits sustained by government handouts, which by the way cannot last very long.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Pete, this the only rational comment I have seen for weeks on the virus.......and I agree 100 percent. It's simple logic, and in this case emotion can not be a deciding factor in the overall picture. Unfortunately the vulnerable  5-10 percent of the population is going to have to either risk exposure, of stay in lockdown until there is a vaccination. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, trimacar said:

Not sure about that....I'm glad every time Ed can enjoy the pleasure of my company...as I tell my grandkids when they leave after a visit, "Glad you could see me again!"

On 4/12/2020 at 5:17 PM, edinmass said:

Having been friends with David for twenty five years, I can confirm he isn’t virtual; but he is virtuous!😇

Well - Having been friends with David for more than 42 years,

I will confirm  BOTH of the above,

We both truly miss his 
"Ides of March" parties

and look forward to our visits whenever we travel north

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest Mark McAlpine

As Steve Moskowitz said, it's a little early to be talking about canceling Hershey.  Let's hope the situation is resolved long before then and we can return to normal.

If the Eastern Fall Nationals are held--and I certainly hope so--Marion & I will be there.  (If we're still locked down until October, my wife will probably kill me in my sleep before then--not sure she can put up with me 24/7 for much longer.)

11 minutes ago, Mark McAlpine said:

As Steve Moskowitz said, it's a little early to be talking about canceling Hershey.  Let's hope the situation is resolved long before then and we can return to normal.

If the Eastern Fall Nationals are held--and I certainly hope so--Marion & I will be there.  (If we're still locked down until October, my wife will probably kill me in my sleep before then--not sure she can put up with me 24/7 for much longer.)

So...

Would that be considered "Justifiable Homicide"?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Pete, this the only rational comment I have seen for weeks on the virus.......and I agree 100 percent. It's simple logic, and in this case emotion can not be a deciding factor in the overall picture. Unfortunately the venerable 5-10 percent of the population is going to have to either risk exposure, of stay in lockdown until there is a vaccination. 

I've been telling the wife this since they started the whole shelter in place thing.  We are only going to make a plateau.  So do you climb Everest and get it over or do you wander around the dessert with limited supplies and no map or compass hoping to make your way across?

Lets hope the best for Hershey.  Huge motorcycle Rally in our town has been postponed (really cancelled) Huge economic loss to the area with just that one thing. 

• Like 2

Having problems with your better half? I have the perfect answer for her. Just explain:

” Being locked in the house with me for 60 days straight is like having two months of Valentines Day uninterrupted! “  🎉🥰😘😍🎁🎊🥳🤩💋👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩👙💥🔥💞💝💖❤️

Then explain to her how lucky she is that she doesn’t have to get you a gift every day...........Works for me! 😎

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Maybe this could be a great fund raiser for the AACA. They can sell mask and gloves with the logo on them at the gates!  Everyone would benefit as it would add a bit of safety for everyone. The bonus is $$ for AACA.  !  

just a thought. 

dave s 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Maybe this could be a great fund raiser for the AACA. They can sell mask and gloves with the logo on them at the gates!  Everyone would benefit as it would add a bit of safety for everyone. The bonus is $$ for AACA.  !  

just a thought. 

dave s 

Let's hope not. Once this deal is over the TV will be filled with class action law suite ads trying to drain the insurance companies and the companies they cover broke for supplying any related safety product. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I used to really enjoy Hershey but my health is not what it used to be and it is getting harder and harder for me to do all the walking.  I went a couple of years ago and found that my wife and I were walking long distances between actual sellers in many areas.  More spaces with cars and trailers parked in them and less sellers.  We talked about it and decided to no longer make the long trip due to the amount of walking to try and find parts.  I do hope that thoses that do go, will have a good time and find some parts they really need.

12 hours ago, trimacar said:

My take on the lockdown is that one hopes you love your wife or husband...but locked in with them, you’d better hope you LIKE them, a whole different dynamic to spending time with them...

In Japan, they have "Retired Husband Syndrome", which could be ominous with this sheltering in place.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2005-10-19-0510190175-story.html

Craig

3 hours ago, playswithbrass said:

Ed. I think the 5- 10% are vulnerable and not necessarily venerable. 

Fixed......either I was half asleep or the spell check jammed me up........I never use the word venerable.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 2:19 AM, 35cz8 said:

More spaces with cars and trailers parked in them and less sellers. 

I thought I was the only one who noticed that. And parked tight. It took a lot away from my enjoyment the last time I went. Seemed quite territorial as well.

17 hours ago, edinmass said:

Fixed......either I was half asleep or the spell check jammed me up........I never use the word venerable.

I turned spell check off about the first month after I bought my last computer.  It was inserting words for me I wasn't intending on using and changing others I was almost finished typing, to words that had a totally different meaning.  Seems harmless until you reread what you typed and either couldn't figure out what I just wrote or realized it had a meaning entirely different than intended and could be considered offensive even by others. 

So I'll stick with my typos for now. 

• Like 3

If I can get a space in the Flea Market, I definitely plan to be there.  So far, I still haven't figured out what I have to do.  I think there will be a spot on the form that comes to register for the Meet.  I did write, but in a roundabout way, that seemed to be what the man said.

If I can't get a spot in the flea market (hopefully a pair) then I still plan to come at this point if no other illness gets me first.  Since I have retired from judging it isn't exactly imperative, but my wife is still judging.  I can't walk a lot, but will see Skip Boyer, Doug Seybold and a few  others of the Buick vendors.  I should get one of those scooters, but I don't really know how.

Restorer32, don't laugh. One of the places on my list of places that I want some of my ashes scattered is HERSHEY! I told my kid's that I would come back and haunt them if they don't do it.

3 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

If I can get a space in the Flea Market, I definitely plan to be there.  So far, I still haven't figured out what I have to do.  I think there will be a spot on the form that comes to register for the Meet.  I did write, but in a roundabout way, that seemed to be what the man said.

If I can't get a spot in the flea market (hopefully a pair) then I still plan to come at this point if no other illness gets me first.  Since I have retired from judging it isn't exactly imperative, but my wife is still judging.  I can't walk a lot, but will see Skip Boyer, Doug Seybold and a few  others of the Buick vendors.  I should get one of those scooters, but I don't really know how.

When your May/June issue of the magazine arrives, the address page inside the plastic bag has a section you can fill out and mail in to request swap meet registration details. Do it immediately as spaces not claimed through regular renewal are issued first come-first served.

From the Hershey Region website:

"Open Registration for the Car Corral, Car Show, Flea Market and Special Events for the 2020 Hershey Fall Meet can be attained by submitting the activity card included with your May/June issue of Antique Automobile Magazine that AACA members receive bi-monthly."

You have several options for a scooter.  Check the Hershey Region website for info on how to rent one of the scooters they supply or how to use your own.

Here is more info copied directly from their website.

"You can use your personal electric mobility vehicle--2 occupant maximum--(no gasoline powered vehicles) after it is registered with the Hershey Region. Registration sites will be  located in the North end of the Hersheypark Maintenance building beside the Hersheypark Stadium, on the west side of the Giant Center, or on the Chocolate Field close to the Main Tent. Register by showing your state issued handicap parking placard."

When I broke my leg a few years ago, it was too late to rent one of the Hershey Region contracted scooters as they were all reserved, and I didn't have one of my own, so I called one of several places in Harrisburg that rent them.  Steve gave me the info on a couple of companies that did this but if you search the internet for Mobility Scooters, you'll have several to choose from if you want to go that route.    I arranged to rent mine for a week and it was one of those small one person scooters that disassembled easily to load in and out of our van.  It was delivered to the hotel and was there waiting for us when we arrived.  I'd contacted out hotel before then to let them know it would be dropped off cor us and there were no problems with that at all.  I carried it back and forth to the hotel each night and plugged it in there to keep charged, although we had plenty of juice for the whole time.  When it was time to head for home, I left it at the hotel and the company picked it up a day later.  Couldn't have been easier.

Check the Hershey Region website as they have all kinds of great info there, especially their Frequently Asked Questions page.  I've referred a lot of people to that site over the years.

It'll be great to have you in the flea market again Earl, I remember the old days when you were there selling Buick stuff. 

Be safe and we'll see you soon.  There is no way I'm gonna just bump elbows with Judy either - her hugs are magic!

Terry

• Thanks 1

Well Earl, Terry told you the official way.  However, as an ex-president you are already on the list to get show car and flea market materials.  So, watch your mail after July 1st and get it in ASAP as it is first come, first served.  

As to ashes at Hershey, I know of some ashes that are there  permanently.  I won't say anymore than that but they are at a special place for a special reason.  My body is being donated to science and after they get done the ashes will go to my family and I hope they are put at our new building so I can haunt the staff forever! :)  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

When your May/June issue of the magazine arrives, the address page inside the plastic bag has a section you can fill out and mail in to request swap meet registration details. Do it immediately as spaces not claimed through regular renewal are issued first come-first served.

From the Hershey Region website:

"Open Registration for the Car Corral, Car Show, Flea Market and Special Events for the 2020 Hershey Fall Meet can be attained by submitting the activity card included with your May/June issue of Antique Automobile Magazine that AACA members receive bi-monthly."

You have several options for a scooter.  Check the Hershey Region website for info on how to rent one of the scooters they supply or how to use your own.

Here is more info copied directly from their website.

"You can use your personal electric mobility vehicle--2 occupant maximum--(no gasoline powered vehicles) after it is registered with the Hershey Region. Registration sites will be  located in the North end of the Hersheypark Maintenance building beside the Hersheypark Stadium, on the west side of the Giant Center, or on the Chocolate Field close to the Main Tent. Register by showing your state issued handicap parking placard."

When I broke my leg a few years ago, it was too late to rent one of the Hershey Region contracted scooters as they were all reserved, and I didn't have one of my own, so I called one of several places in Harrisburg that rent them.  Steve gave me the info on a couple of companies that did this but if you search the internet for Mobility Scooters, you'll have several to choose from if you want to go that route.    I arranged to rent mine for a week and it was one of those small one person scooters that disassembled easily to load in and out of our van.  It was delivered to the hotel and was there waiting for us when we arrived.  I'd contacted out hotel before then to let them know it would be dropped off cor us and there were no problems with that at all.  I carried it back and forth to the hotel each night and plugged it in there to keep charged, although we had plenty of juice for the whole time.  When it was time to head for home, I left it at the hotel and the company picked it up a day later.  Couldn't have been easier.

Check the Hershey Region website as they have all kinds of great info there, especially their Frequently Asked Questions page.  I've referred a lot of people to that site over the years.

It'll be great to have you in the flea market again Earl, I remember the old days when you were there selling Buick stuff. 

Be safe and we'll see you soon.  There is no way I'm gonna just bump elbows with Judy either - her hugs are magic!

Terry

Thanks Terry.  I got some bad news from the doctor today, and I don't  know where that is going to go from here.  It might keep me from making Hershey.  What is the http: address for the Hershey Region, if you don't mind?

http://hershey.aaca.com/

If all else fails just type Hershey Region AACA into Google or whatever you use and it'll pop right up.

Steve, thanks for that info - I forgot that also included flea market.

Earl, hope all is well and that you'll be there.

Terry

Years ago, I told, (asked), my wife, that I would like my ashes scattered at Hershey during the Saturday car show. When I saw the fly over last year, I said dropped from the plane would be ideal! Hopefully, of course,  a few years down the road. John

23 hours ago, John S. said:

Years ago, I told, (asked), my wife, that I would like my ashes scattered at Hershey during the Saturday car show. When I saw the fly over last year, I said dropped from the plane would be ideal! Hopefully, of course,  a few years down the road. John

I for years told my wife to spread my ashes in Hershey mud, but no more mud and I don't want to wash down the sewers so I have a back up plans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Will I be at Hershey? None of us can predict the future but hopefully life will be getting back to at least semi normal before Hershey rolls around. Will this virus be completely behind us? Probably not but I think by continuing to practice social distancing and taking other precautions, I think I'll feel pretty safe. Will I be shaking hands with lots of people? No. Will I be carrying a bottle of hand sanitizer or wipes with me? Yep. Will I be wearing a mask? Maybe. Even though there are a lot of people at Hershey, it is an outdoor event and I think I can keep a reasonably safe distance from others. I'm planning to be there and I hope others will too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 3:07 PM, 1937hd45 said:

Soon to be 8 years old Grandson made this model of our swap meet space over the weekend.🙂 Bob 

IMG_5215.jpg

Ahhh. The mind and imagination of an 8 year old and how they view the world around them. I assume those two, blue, square canisters to the right of his space is your grandson's idea of porta-johns with 7 of us old gray-haired men with prostate issues lined up waiting to use the John.  Very realistic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Grandson was just here and I showed him the photo, he gave me an update. Those are our spaces, and the Brookville trailer is in the background, but he took an artistic license and placed other Hershey highlights in the setting. Coker Tire is the white trailer with the three tires in back, not inflated as large as the real ones. The two blue cans are Hershey Chocolate world. Bob 

• Like 3