How not to photograph your car for sale.

auburnseeker

I've seen alot of cars offered lately and the photos make you cringe or shake your head.  Out of focus are common but here are a few that just make you say why.

Ok you have a nice car and it's a trophy winner so why not take that beautiful paint and put a couple big scratches in it when those trophies slide off the hood.

1953-Buick-special

Probably not the best idea to photograph your car in front of a complimentary color bush that makes it look  like it has a huge Afro. This is ridiculously distracting especially in the thumbnail.  

1929-Ford-Model-A

Nothing says I'm just flipping this car like using the photos of it still on the trailer to sell it.  

1957-Chevrolet-Bel-Air-150-210-wagon

• Like 4

The giant trophies in the top picture tell a buyer a little bit,

but I'm not especially impressed.  Trophies today

tend to be gaudy and cheap, made of particle board and plastic.

Now if he had a discreet AACA senior oval on his grille, that's a different story!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I hate the one where they guys fat girlfriend in a too small bikini draped all over the car. eww!

Last year I saw what was described as a Mercedes wagon, but has a wagon shaped lump of snow as a photo.

The MG up on the hill, way in the background of a family portrait was for sale

Or the "I'll post a photo later" and later never happened

Title said "1995 Tahoe - Never let us down!" but the photo was of it on a roll back truck. Hummm?

The single photo of a 1977 450SL under a 450SL shaped tarp.

The Jeep clearly buried above the tires in mud but described as "never off roaded"

I wish I had started saving pictures of Craigslist cars sunk in the ground. You look and think, just move it three feet! I guess it's never too late to start.

Just thinking about that fat girl comment. What kind of vehicle would look appealing with a fat girl. I keep thinking corn. I was remembering a trip to Moline a few decades ago. We were sitting in a bar with a lighted 1960 Ford F-100 grille over it and talking with a local about where the action was. He said "Just stick an ear of corn in your pants, they won't be offended in any way they take it."

tjm49yy.jpg

Bernie

The dog sitting in the driver's seat! "Ahh, look, isn't my dog cute?"

NO! Nobody wants your flea infested, hair covered upholstery or scratched up dash and window sills.

I'm still amazed by people that can't even bother to remove trash from inside the car.  I can understand those hard on their luck that can't afford to get it detailed, but taking a picture of the interior that has trash in it is crazy... and not just trash, we're talking empty beer cans, packs of cigs and obvious drug paraphernalia.  You can at least pretend like you take care of the car.  On the other hand... it does save me a trip because if you can't clean a car up to sell it, you certainly don't do preventative maintenance. 

• Like 1

I see ads that show a car on a trailer, then disassembled and many in between. Then a nice finished car.

One might never know what stage of disrepair the thing is that is offered up.

SHOW CURRENT PICS, not what it could or used to be.

Maybe a few during restoration would be OK if they are labeled as such.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Because someone might run the plates and figure out which trailer you live in and steal your bitchin' 'Stang...

WorstCraigslistAd.jpg

Obscuring the plates on cars for sale or posted on the web is very common.  I just don't get it.  Do these people cover the plates when they drive on the street?  What scam, exactly, are they afraid of?  For that matter, the VIN is visible through the windshield when the car is parked.

There's cautious, and then there's irrational.

• Like 2

When taking photos of the interior, don't forget to straighten the steering wheel. I see wheels in all positions except straight ahead, even in high quality sales. Also, you can go to some of the brokers websites and see how they photograph their cars.

(o[]o)

3 hours ago, JACK M said:

I see ads that show a car on a trailer, then disassembled and many in between. Then a nice finished car.

One might never know what stage of disrepair the thing is that is offered up.

SHOW CURRENT PICS, not what it could or used to be.

Maybe a few during restoration would be OK if they are labeled as such.

seen many of these with the disclaimer "this is what the car can look like when restored" but you are buying a trailer of parts HOPING they are all there.

23 hours ago, GregLaR said:

The dog sitting in the driver's seat! "Ahh, look, isn't my dog cute?"

NO! Nobody wants your flea infested, hair covered upholstery or scratched up dash and window sills.

A few years ago I bought a dirty car for resale. Sometimes I find a red or maroon car that will clean and buff nicely and help fund my habit. This car was REALLY dirty. It had a tan interior with dirt caked to every surface and hair matted into the right front carpet. I used a bristle nap brush for carpets and while I kept cleaning the long white hairs out, I just kept thinking to myself "I hope it's the dog's 'cause I saw the wife."

Thinking of cute dogs and hair.

Bernie

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Obscuring the plates on cars for sale or posted on the web is very common.  I just don't get it.  Do these people cover the plates when they drive on the street?  What scam, exactly, are they afraid of?  For that matter, the VIN is visible through the windshield when the car is parked.

I don't get blocking the plates either?  In NYS your VIN is on the registration sticker why and what are they thinking?

21 minutes ago, John348 said:

I don't get blocking the plates either?  In NYS your VIN is on the registration sticker why and what are they thinking?

In some of the automotive-related Facebook groups that I follow, license plates are regularly obscured in the photos posted. Then there are the postings on the subject "Show us your vanity plates", and the focus is on the license plate in the posted photo. Go figure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John348 said:

It's the same reason many (if not most) of the members of this forum will not show their location in their avatar/name section.  I don't get that either.

Cheers from Paisley, Florida,

Grog

• Like 2

On 8/8/2016 at 8:00 PM, Luv2Wrench said:

I'm still amazed by people that can't even bother to remove trash from inside the car.  I can understand those hard on their luck that can't afford to get it detailed, but taking a picture of the interior that has trash in it is crazy... and not just trash, we're talking empty beer cans, packs of cigs and obvious drug paraphernalia.  You can at least pretend like you take care of the car.  On the other hand... it does save me a trip because if you can't clean a car up to sell it, you certainly don't do preventative maintenance. 

OK.......THIS made me laugh out loud....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

On 8/8/2016 at 7:50 PM, cutlasguy said:

The one I can't stand is the shadow of the photographer superimposed over the car.

Or some shirtless codger who has no business NOT wearing a shirt in the photo.......what.......the photographer couldn't wait a few seconds and tell him to MOVE? Or dogs in photos?

I love dogs........but I HAVE a dog and am not in the market for one.

I love scantily clad women too but NOT when they are blocking the view of the car in an AD.......besides I have a woman.......one is enough....... :P

8 hours ago, capngrog said:

It's the same reason many (if not most) of the members of this forum will not show their location in their avatar/name section.  I don't get that either.

Cheers from Paisley, Florida,

Grog

Tell it capn, tell it!!. I finally just gave up askin folks to over on the Buick forum. And try to get them to share what year/make car they own in their sig..... :o:o:o :D:D:D:lol::lol::lol::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::o:o:o:D:D:D

A couple years ago some pictures of Putin on a horse (not a Ritz) showed up. He's about my age so I took a couple of my own Putin pics standing by my Packard and emailed them to my wife at work in the library. No sense of humor... she deleted them.

Maybe I will use them if I sell the car, that Russia/Packard connection, you know.

Bernie

Here's one.  It's not a whole car, just one part but it certainly could have been displayed better.  It's supposed to be a front yoke but it's hard to tell where the yoke starts and the background ends.  Found on everyone's favorite bay.

WParo in VT

s-l1600.jpg

You only have so many photos on ebay using ebay to host the images.  You should make them count or deal with the onslaught of questions to get more basic photos you should have included in the original listing.  

It's a shame with this truck as it does look to be in very good shape. Sell one car on ebay and you will understand. 

2 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Tell it capn, tell it!!. I finally just gave up askin folks to over on the Buick forum. And try to get them to share what year/make car they own in their sig..... :o:o:o :D:D:D:lol::lol::lol::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::o:o:o:D:D:D

I am at the point on the Reatta forum that if you can't list the year you have [look the same but are not the same] can't help you.

• Like 2

Well at least they pulled the drapes back...

Selling my 01 Mercury Cougar, she is a good car. 2 doors, 4 seats, very comfortable to ride around in.
The sunroof doesnt work, hasnt since i got it a year ago. It does have some through rust above the rear driver side wheel, the passenger seat doesnt move up anymore im not sure how to fix it.
It has new speakers in the doors, and a after market radio, it has alot of trunk space, and she does pretty good in the snow.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 10:54 AM, joe_padavano said:

Yep, never understood the whole cover up the license plate in the photo thing.  Totally irrational since the cars are driven and parked on public streets. 

• Like 1

Guest Skyking

I viewed some photos of a Metropolitan on Ebay.  All the photos were either upside down or sideways.  I emailed the seller and told him that he should go in "relist" and repair the photos.  He might get a serious buyer.  He wrote back some words I wouldn't mention here.  Needless to say, the photos never got corrected and the car never got a bid...............:wub: