Riding with the windows down.

Didn't want to highjack the A/C thread so I started a new one.

Anyone notice how noisy and unpleasant it is to ride in a new(er) vehicle with the window down?  I first noticed it with our Terrain, you couldn't hear the radio or carry on a conversation with the window down and the XT5 is no better.  When I drive either one of the '76s, I always put the window down if the weather is nice, and there is very little noise, and it just makes the drive more pleasurable.  Even the Silverado isn't noisy.     

I've driven several other makes and models and it's the same.  Are new vehicles not meant to be driven with the window down??

Just my observation.

Tim

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I would think modern cars are in fact designed to be driven with the windows up and climate control on. How many times do you see anyone other than folks like us drive with windows down. Even at slow speeds they are closed up tight. Even my 1980 Plymouth without air has very good direct flow ventilation. Modern cars don’t have that.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 4

2007 Toyota Tundra - no problem, up to 100km/hr 

2012 Toyota Takoma - big problem at any speed

2004-2013 Volvo XC90 -  no problem up to 100 km/hr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skvitt said:

2007 Toyota Tundra - no problem, up to 100km/hr 

2012 Toyota Takoma - big problem at any speed

2004-2013 Volvo XC90 -  no problem up to 100 km/hr

Maybe the fact that two of the vehicles you cite were designed overseas has something to do with that.

• Like 1

Aerodynamics in action. Modern cars are designed to optimize aerodynamics to keep drag to a minimum.  Opening the windows offsets the airflow so more wind noise is created.  Some automobiles are more affected than others and when you throw old cars into the mix that have little aero design influences the effects are less noticeable.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Skvitt said:

And I too like  windows down rather than AC.

Not me. I am spoiled. When its hot and humid no amount of hot air rushing in through an open window will cool me off. I wont even ride my motorcycle on hot days anymore. 

• Like 3

Odd that kids who like to play megawatt stereos at full volume usually seem to drive with their windows down.  

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

Odd that kids who like to play megawatt stereos at full volume usually seem to drive with their windows down.  

Terry

lol 

you are correct, 

But they only seem to do that when they’re in town at low speed and can annoy everyone within a 2 block radius.

I to like to drive with the windows down. But the buffeting with the windows down at highway speed hurts my ears in newer vehicles.

John

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I tend to drive my newer vehicles with the windows up to take advantage of the built in aerodynamics, climate controls (ac or heat), music and other conveniences of a modern vehicle. During the rare times I have the windows down (using the power switch) I am also annoyed by the buffeting to my ears.  When I drive my old cars however, I usually keep the windows down (using the hand crank that is foreign to my 21 year old son) no matter the climate conditions to enjoy the total experience of driving these cars as well as keep track of the different car sounds that may warn of a potential problem since there is no computer or warning light display. Actually, I’m glad my old cars don’t have a “check engine” warning light feature😀

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I just got back from dropping a load of trimmins at the village brush pile in the Silverado. Window down and the A/C blowing away.

Seems the natural thing to do for me.

Modern vehicles only the fronts down. I know about the booming that comes from a rear window open.

• Like 2

On warmer days, I like to have the driver's window open an inch or two, and the right rear window also lowered an inch or two which provides excellent cross-ventilation that's draft-free.

Craig

• Like 1

I frequently drive with the windows down on my Mustangs. The a/c is on if it's hot. Both are convertibles and it's about that time of year! My favorites are four door hardtops, but I'll often drive with  the drivers window down on my newer cars. The back windows will boom on my Flex unless the fronts are down halfway. I also like putting the sunroofs in the vent position. That helps a lot.

• Like 1

If you drive my Equinox with the windows down in the rear it sounds like there is a helicopter flying overhead. The faster you go the louder it gets. For that reason I always drive with the windows up on it.

5 minutes ago, Rivguy said:

I frequently drive with the windows down on my Mustangs. The a/c is on if it's hot.

Same here. Some cars were just made to drive with the windows down and my '99 GT is one of them. The air coming in the windows is smooth with no buffeting around inside the car like it does in some cars.

• Like 1

Also, I guess I'm getting old (58), sometimes running the a/c, especially on long drives, it gives me a headache.  When I do use the a/c, I set the fan to the lowest setting.

Like CChinn, I like to hear what's going on.

Tim

• Like 2

Most interesting observations and comments. Somethings that are not thought about when you buy a car.........  If you look at the image next to my name my only comment can be "what windows? the car never had them from new"  😊 The word "breezy" is an understatement. If I work really fast I may be able to get the side curtains and the rods that hold them in place and everything snapped together all  done in about 40 minutes............ maybe, sort of..........

• Like 6

Walt, I am not sure if your car is a dual cowell (I do have to ad, that it is quite beautiful), BUT, how much air/turbulence is there in the backseat at period highway speeds? and does the extra windscreen for the back seat make a difference? I would imagine it does.

Along the lines of some of the above posts, I will drive my wifes mustang convertible with the top down and A/C blasting🤪, likewise I will put the top down once the temp hits about 60, if it gets too cold I will blast the heat!

• Like 1

I've driven convertibles for decades in the dry western heat with no a/c in any of them. When being exposed to the hot sun becomes too intense, the top goes up but all windows are down including the zippered rear glass or plastic window., a smooth and quiet ride at most reasonable speeds.

• Like 2

A doctor pal has told me that most men have a level of deafness in their right ear as we tend to drive with the window down (I am talking Australia here and we are right hand drive), this is primarily suspected to be wind noise etc. Has anyone heard this affecting the left ear for the rest of the world?

Steve

I heard that, in WWII, bomber copilots were deaf in the left ear.  They took the somewhat protective headphone from the left ear so they could hear what the pilot was yelling at them.  When they got promoted to pilot, they took off the right earphone so they could hear the copilot.  Asa a result, pilots were deaf in BOTH ears.

As for rolling down the windows when driving an antique car, here's my preferred solution:

thumbnail-1.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Windows?  What are these windows you speak of?  I've never put the side curtains on--or the top down on the 1918 Pierce.

The quarter curtains (apparently masonite covered with canvas, equipped with beveled-edge glass) remain in place almost all the time, as rear seat passengers tell me they eliminate a great deal of wind buffeting.  Sorry about this photo being 90* out--I tried rotating and saving as different file name, but no joy.

Kingsbury Grade.jpg

Mochi at Modoc 2020-1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am more aware this condition in newer pick-up trucks as I really don't drive a modern sedan. But really modern sedans are not very popular at new car dealers in recent year; having been replaced by SUV's, which are more small tuck like anyway.

And to be honest I do use the climate control feature, rather than open a window fully. 

But I have been made aware or the unpleasant condition; when windows are in the down position. Not only my own vehicles; but also my friends pickups. 

Some vehicles actually make a thumping sound at around 55 mph, which is more than annoying. Other vehicles showed an unpleasant noise and turbulence. On Youtube you can find videos of the phenomenon. One video attributed this noise or whatever to making his young child, who was in a car seat, nauseous.  At that time I watched that video; I actually owned the same pick-up truck.  So I tried it at 55 mph and yes, it was annoying.  I never drove at 55 + mph with the windows down before. Again, referring back to the climate control.  The radio at that speed was useless; and yes, there was a thumping sensation that was more than annoying. 

OK: In saying that .  The side mirrors may have a big effect on the wind noise.  On pick-up the mirrors have become huge. And the airflow has to be affected by them. Yea, maybe the window opening and door shape. I don't know, I don't have access to a wind tunnel, to do any testing. 

On a lot of older cars that we play with; there are  vent windows"; and you could even add "wind wings".

Let's not forget motorcycles, especially the big touring models.  Harley and Honda and many others, offer through their own companies or aftermarket, wind deflectors, of some kind.

So yes, is there  an issue, Yes. Does it bother all drivers or riders No.  

I am going to try to remember to do this test at 55 + mph on my current pick-up. I don't know I never fully have the side windows down at that speed. 

• Like 1

2012 Toyota Tundra is not excessively loud as long as ALL 4 windows are all the way down. If not, the wind noise can get quite LOUD if the windows are partially down.

2023 Toyota RAV4 Plug-In Hybrid not excessively loud with ALL 4 windows all the way down. Even more quite with the sunroof open and running fully electric at highway speeds.

When I leave work every day I open all the windows (unless it's raining) to let the super heated air inside the vehicle out. If the temperature is in the low 80s or lower and the humidity is not high I usually drive home with the windows down and A/C off. I do close the windows when I pass a farmer's field with huge clouds of dirt dust blowing around or a farmer spraying fertilizer or get behind a diesel pickup truck whose owner likes to spew HUGE clouds of pitch BLACK exhaust fumes just to annoy others.

I agree with others here that a vehicle's aerodynamics plays a big part in the noise level. Vehicles with roof racks  and car top storage boxes also contribute a lot to noise levels.

19 hours ago, TerryB said:

Aerodynamics in action. Modern cars are designed to optimize aerodynamics to keep drag to a minimum.  Opening the windows offsets the airflow so more wind noise is created.  Some automobiles are more affected than others and when you throw old cars into the mix that have little aero design influences the effects are less noticeable.

This is spot on. All new cars are designed first in a wind tunnel, and that is done with the windows closed. This is how the cars are tested and ranked for CAFE mileage ratings. Older cars with square fronts created far more turbulence. Turbulent flow is higher drag but more conformal to the shape, which actually reduced the pressure differential when driving with the windows open and reduced buffeting. This is the classic dimples on the golf ball; the dimples increase surface drag, but the conformal flow prevents the pressure drag that is a far larger percentage of the total drag on the golf ball.  No, you don't want to take a ball peen hammer to your car, since the teardrop shape of all new cars provides an even lower drag. 

eawcyjerhon91.png?auto=webp&s=32e75b607e

• Like 3

I drive a lot with the window(s) down, and maybe vents open too.  On Freeways I keep the top up, too noisy/windy otherwise.  But on country roads, no problem.  Wind noise isn't really there either.  Both me and my wife are deaf in our left ears, but we can talk easily and hear one another with no problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jpage said:

When I ride with the windows down, I can imagine myself skimming the treetops in a Huey! Boy, are they noisy, but I prefer the fresh air!

Yes!  Once you've done some nap-of-the-earth, you'll never want to pay for a roller coaster ride again!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fordy said:

A doctor pal has told me that most men have a level of deafness in their right ear as we tend to drive with the window down (I am talking Australia here and we are right hand drive), this is primarily suspected to be wind noise etc.

There's a different reason for this in the US...  ;)

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, TAKerry said:

how much air/turbulence is there in the backseat at period highway speeds? and does the extra windscreen for the back seat make a difference? I would imagine it does.

My car is a 7 passenger touring. . Without that tonneau windshield or with it folded flat out of the way against the back of the front seat the wind ( even at period speeds of 35 - 45 mph) is exhausting to cope with. That second wind shield was not just a fancy dress up item it was practical . I have ridden in a dual cowl phaeton in the back ( Austin Clark's 1929 Lincoln model L) and again with the windshield up in place it is fine, folded flat it is a wind tunnel.  Gl;ad that it was mentioned that most of the driving in the era the cars were new was not what one encounters today on paved highways. My Packard has no issue going down the road at 55-65 mph for any length of time  but one does have to consider the width of the tires on sometimes slick roads ( that come up without warning) and also the grooves cut into the road on highways to drain the water off - the tread on the narrow tires align up with those grooves and the car goes into a dance you do not want to encounter and you turn albino white in complexion .

My car was a trailer and garage queen until I bought it , it has not been since I have had it but has seen little use for a few years while I recovered from extensive heart surgery.

• Like 3

On 6/5/2024 at 9:21 AM, Terry Bond said:

Terry

We've got a law to take care of that in our city.

As far as noise and aerodynamics go, two of the cars that can really cause a buffeting sound at HWY speeds are the VW beetle and 356 Porsche. Unless ordered with the optional swing out rear windows let the compressed air out. Without them the air has to make its way to the door windows which is right at ear level.

On my 62 & 63 Pontiacs rolling down the windows cause no problem because they have (one of them is a factory air car) crank out vent windows.

Then in 1968 in the (F body) Camaro/Firebird, and 1969 A&B bodies G.M. decided to eliminate vent wings. Thanks a lot G.M. Compared to my 62 & 63 Pontiacs, my 69 H-O Pontiac LeMans and my 76 Oldsmobile Omega without wings are much noisier. 

• Like 1

Drove this up to the Beaches cruise yesterday with the drivers window down. About 40 miles each way, mostly freeway.

Hardly even felt the breeze. Vent windows closed, but I did open one of the firewall vents.

So, yes, the vehicles are all different as I can't easily find the right combination on the new Ram to get the buffeting tolerable.

I don't much care to have the wind in my hair ALL of the time. And the Valiant is the best for that. But I do like for there to be fresh air circulating.

IM005236.JPG

IM005237.JPG

• Like 1