1963 plates gone 🙁 (the car seller took the original plate off the car.)

Hi Everyone 

I am new to the club. I have a question about plates. I was just given a 1963 original one owner vw beetle. He is a friend of a friend.  The bug has sat in his barn for the last 24 years. Luckily he did register it non op.
As I was about to leave with the car the owner took the original plate off the car. There was only one plate on the car. He wanted it for memory sake because he bought the car when he was 16. I understand his attachment. I am incredibly great full to him for giving me his car. He doesn’t understand how valuable the plate is to remain with the car. I registered the car yesterday. For now I have a temporary sticker on it until April which still has the original plate number on it. Is there a way to get duplicates plates with the dmv? Or I’d like to purchase another 1963 plate. I see them on eBay. What is the best legal way to purchase old plates and which hoops do I need to jump through with the California dmv to replace the original plates with purchased 1963 plates. Lastly does anyone have a pair if 1963 plates that are cleared by the dmv for sale?
thanks everyone
K

• Like 3

Congratulations on your new Beetle.

Buying YOM (Year of Manufacture) plates and registering them to your car can be very easy or very difficult depending on what DMV office and what DMV clerk you happen to get to.

Not long before my father passed away, he purchased YOM plates for our Rickenbacker.

He purchased them from a reputable guy that deals in YOM plates for cars from various states.  Unfortunately, I do not have his contact info.

It took 4 trips to 2 different DMV offices to get them registered.

The process was maddening and seemed to change a little every time we visited the DMV.

It was finally resolved when a DMV supervisor got involved and the plates are now registered to the vehicle.

One thing the DMV did, that I do not agree with, is they now charge an extra 'special plate' fee every year when I renew the registration.

The fee is only around $10 (for now) but it's just the fact that I get dinged every year for having plates on the car that were issued the same year as the car was made.

Good luck with your quest to get YOM plates on the car.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My guess would be to contact the CA DMV and request a new plate due to the fact that you "lost" one.  I my state MA, you just pay for a replacement plate.  In MA, plates don't stay with the sale of a car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like Cali may be a bit of a pain to do so. In md its quite easy, no hoops to jump through. The dmv needs to inspect the plate to make sure it is in sound condition. Thats about it. As for finding a 63 plate there are vendors that sell nothing but these and finding one should be not be too big of a deal. I doubt the state will issue you the same as what was new, unless you request it as a 'personalized' plate.  In md the plate belongs to the state and is supposed to be turned back in when the insurance is taken off the car. I have no idea where the resellers get all of them from. I have never had a problem.

• Thanks 1

If you have the rear plate and it matches your paperwork you are in pretty good shape! That's the important one! California requires a front plate but enforcement is very lax. I bought a new Chevy Volt in 2018 and the dealer didn't include the front plate bracket. I didn't realize it until I got the new plates in the mail. I went back to the dealer and they gave me the bracket but said "so many cars don't look good with a front plate that it's sort of a no cost option. We almost never give them to people buying Corvettes". I think you can buy a "reproduction" license plate that matches the rear one...no one will ever check it. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

If you have the rear plate and it matches your paperwork you are in pretty good shape! That's the important one! California requires a front plate but enforcement is very lax. I bought a new Chevy Volt in 2018 and the dealer didn't include the front plate bracket. I didn't realize it until I got the new plates in the mail. I went back to the dealer and they gave me the bracket but said "so many cars don't look good with a front plate that it's sort of a no cost option. We almost never give them to people buying Corvettes". I think you can buy a "reproduction" license plate that matches the rear one...no one will ever check it. 

Front plate enforcement varies greatly from area to area.

I have been given a no front plate ticket while parked in a shopping center as well as just driving down the road.

At the time, the only way to attach a front plate to that car was to drill holes in the front bumper, which I did not want to do.

Now that the car is 22 years old, the paint has faded and it has 250k miles, I eventually drilled holes in the bumper so I wouldn't have to worry about being pulled over for it in the future.

It was always in the Riverside and San Bernardino areas that I had issues.

Back when I owned a Corvette, it never had a front plate and I was never hassled over it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If the original plate was a regular series one (black and yellow, three letters followed by three numbers), requesting a replacement set of plates will get you a reflectorized white and blue, seven character set as seen on a new car. DMV doesn't supply same letter-and-number combination replacement sets for regular series plates.

As others have suggested, your best (albeit technically illegal) route may be to order replacement plates with the original letter and number series from one of many companies out there. Going the YOM route would be one legal route and is certainly doable, but the cost of a DMV-clear set of plates has to be considered. There are license plate dealers out there that offer guaranteed DMV-clear plate sets, but shop around as prices can vary considerably. Also, when buying a set, make sure that they are original legitimate plates, which will be steel, not aluminum. Aluminum was only used for later legitimate plates and nearly all currently-produced aftermarket plates. DMV usually wants to see the plates that you are proposing to use if applying for YOM, so ensuring that you're submitting legitimate DMV-issued plates is important.

Another option if you don't have to have the original letter-and-number combination on the car is to get the DMV-issued special series of black-and-yellow plates, they are available in both regular series (issued with a random series of letters and numbers) or personalized, at extra cost. Similar in appearance to the originals, but not identical as State law now requires all new plates to be reflectorized.

Figure out your course of action before going to DMV again. Once you get them involved, the path can be irreversible and maybe not the course you want. I'm specifically thinking about the case where you might mention that you're missing one or both plates, and they automatically issue a new current-series set of plates to you. Lots of stuff DMV does is automatic. I had to pay for a set of plates that never went on my car, although the car already had a temporary permit like yours.

Nice VW!  Hope you share when it's awake and home.  Neat cars.

Good luck with the YOM plates.

Need to take another run at mine since two trips didn't get the job done.  Here in CT the DMV clerks have samples on a chart for each year.  Unfortunately the sample for 1939 is a plate with 3 characters.  The combination of 3 numbers/letters wouldn't support the number of cars on the road in CT in 1939 and many were 4, 5 characters - like mine. Logical but the DMV clerk didn't agree.  "See, it needs to look like this" in a patient, school teacher tone.

Second trip - well appointment was made (appointments vs. Walk in service a Covid holdover recycled as a service improvement?) at the main office but you see, it was late on a Friday and the YOM "expert" was tied up... 

You cannot make this stuff up!!

• Thanks 1

If this is a California car, there should be a front and rear plate.  Asked the seller what he did with the original front plate.  Bets are he now has both plates and knows how valuable they are.  From what others from CA have said, without at least one original plate, you will need to have new plates issued.  I'm not in CA, so I really don't know.

• Thanks 1

1963–1969 year model automobiles must have black license plates with yellow characters within the alpha-numeric series of AAA000–YYY999.

I have a pair that I took off my kaiser. Not sure if you will like them. I was going to use them for more wall art..

It is tag MUF792.

Here is a better pic..

pruplates.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2015.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So I finally was called back by the California DMV. They told me he wasn’t allowed to take the plate. I wasn’t going to guilt trip a person that just gave me his car. So,I asked about buying a 1963 plate on eBay.  She said it would be fine as long as it is in the same year and in readable condition and it’s not in the system anymore. She was able to check some plates I was interested in on ebay to see if they could be used. I went through 5 different plates which had no record and should be ok to use. She told me to bring the plates in with me to the dmv and it’ll be easy to change. Now I have keep my fingers crossed that the person behind the dmv window will be as helpful as the person on the phone. 

Edited by Karla welch
Spelling corrections (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

3 hours ago, 61polara said:

If this is a California car, there should be a front and rear plate.  Asked the seller what he did with the original front plate.  Bets are he now has both plates and knows how valuable they are.  From what others from CA have said, without at least one original plate, you will need to have new plates issued.  I'm not in CA, so I really don't know.

I thought about offering him money for the plate but money obviously means nothing because he gave his car with 46k original miles on it. It would’ve been cool to have the original plate that was issued with the car. 

• Thanks 1

Karla, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new old car! Here's some advice: This will depend (as most licensing and registration issues do) on the state where you live, but be careful if or when buying vintage plates online. Five years ago I purchased a pair of "old" license plates online (eBay I think.) They were for my state, matched the year of my car ('65) and looked to be in good shape. When I took them down to the DMV, however, the guy got out his big magnifying glass and started giving my plates the once over. He then informed me my plates were newer reissues and that they couldn't be used for licensing my old car! He said the embossing font was ever so slightly different from the original. It didn't look that different to me, but his decision was final. I think the plates 40 or 50 dollars, so I was out that money. A warning sign is if the plates look in a little too good condition to have been on a car before.

You were very correct not to guilt trip the guy over the old  plate. No sense in creating a bad feeling with a person who gave you a car. I felt bad at first about not being able to get original plates for my '65 Ford, but I got over it quickly. Please keep us updated on the progress of your cool VW (work done or trips taken.)

• Thanks 1

Just another example of how much of a difference it makes depending on which DMV clerk you happen to walk up to.

Earlier today I went to a DMV office to make sure Calif DMV knew I had registered one of my vehicles in WY since I had been sent a renewal notice and multiple emails saying my former Calif registration was due.

The first office I went to I was told that WY would need to contact the Calif DMV in order to make sure Calif knew the vehicle was no longer registered in the state. 

She told me there was nothing she could do in her system to make sure I would no longer receive renewal notices or penalties for overdue registration. 

Because of an error in some paperwork I had regarding my medical cert for my CDL I left that office.

I got the medical paperwork straight and went to another DMV office.

When I inquired about the registration I showed her my copy of my WY registration along with my renewal notice. 

She asked if she could keep the copies so she could make sure they were sent to their main office and the vehicle would be removed from the Calif DMV system with a note that it was now registered out of state.

One clerk was completely unhelpful while the next one took care of everything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Back here no one officially owns the plates on the car. The plates are owned by the DMV in that state. I would take the repo pair of plates to the guy and trade him for the original. He will have his keep sake # on the wall twice, And you will have what you need to make the car legal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is just another thought as an option (if you can't find DMV cleared 63 CA plates).

Keep in mind I have no affiliation with licenseplatestv.com, but if you go their website and select custom request (upper right corner) they can make a novelty set just for show that are embossed and look close to original. Obviously not DMV approved and not as heavy duty or exact, but if you plan to use regular plates then you can put something like these (w/ 63 Cali plates) on the car once you want to show it (if that's your intention). 

I'm working on a 1950 Tuxedo Black Chevy truck and once it's finished I'll use DMV approved for the roads then my novelty 50 TUX plates for car shows or while it's being displayed. 

Here's an original AZ 1950 plate

image.png.93cbb7c691aab859d0b82d6061fe0b33.png

Here's the novelty plate I had made up to show how close they are in comparison, most folks wont know the difference.

Colors ARE exact, but my office is low lighting at 5 am.

image.png.63338c604f9c738a160184665ac237a9.png

The car on topic would look good with a novelty set of black and yellow replicas that say 63 BUG (in my opinion ;)

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

What state are you located in?

I wondered at first too, but it's within the text of

her first posting.  I too give a welcome to Karla!

She'll find a lot of knowledge and helpfulness within

the AACA.

21 hours ago, Karla welch said:

Hi Everyone 

...What is the best legal way to purchase old plates and which hoops do I need to jump through with the California dmv...?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, nick8086 said:

1963–1969 year model automobiles must have black license plates with yellow characters within the alpha-numeric series of AAA000–YYY999.

I have a pair that I took off my kaiser. Not sure if you will like them. I was going to use them for more wall art..

It is tag MUF792.

Here is a better pic..

pruplates.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2015.jpg

I bought a set yesterday thanks for the offer. 

A “buyer beware” on the plates and assuming you bought them with the car without notating them as part of the purchase. 

I learned my lesson with a 1960s Rambler parts car. One of the reasons I paid what I agreed to pay was it had a Rambler (with the R embossed) tissue dispenser in excellent condition. Went to pickup the car the following weekend and it was gone. Owner “knew nothing about it”. 

Now I take pictures, document, or remove these type of items if I am not taking the car right away.

• Like 4

Dandy Dave, I see from your info that you are in New York State. In NY, if you purchase year of manufacture plates and use them on your car, the plates belong to you, not the State. If you sell the car, you keep the plates, they are considered personal property and you do not need to turn them back into the state as you do with normal NYS DMV plates.

• Thanks 1

Zepher, It's the same way in New York, at least it is that way on Long Island. There are several DMV offices in my county. I once had what I considered a very small issue on a registration. The DMV agent rejected my registration and told me I needed more documentation. I went to a DMV office about 10 miles away and walked out with my new license plates. The right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing in NY.

• Like 3

I've owned my 66 VW Bug for 35 years and had my niece go to the tag office in Germany and had my front tag made.   VW 66 BUG

I leave that one on the front and found a  USA Armed Forces Europe tag for the rear.    (I was stationed there in 1966)   Taped a copy a of the state law that authorizes YOM tags to the back of my current Antique Car Tag and keep it in the glove box.  (Problem Solved)

Each of the 50 states have their own rules, but we've driven the car in about 25 states and never had a problem.RoadBug.jpg.e4114d5ce215244f29c5aaf813113fd3.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Karla welch I'm a life-long Californian except for military service and I have some cars with YOM plates, some that have plates in the yellow-on-black series continually assigned to that older-than-1963 car since 1963, and some on which I run Horseless Carriage (pre-1923 plus V-16s) and Historic Vehicle plates (>25 yrs old not used as daily transportation).  Please understand the following:

* if you run both "black plates" originally assigned to THAT car, you will have no restrictions on usage (see below) and will pay standard fees each year.  The ad valorem part of your annual fees is based on the value declared at time of transfer--if you've already transferred, DMV may have assigned a book value since the car was a gift and have charged you use tax in lieu of sales tax (same % for both) because the donor was not a designated family member.  In hindsight, for registering a gift car I think it's better to say you *paid* $300 or some other number to avoid book value.

* If you buy other black plates and register them as YOM, you will need to pay full ad valorem each year PLUS a 'special plates' $10 fee plus an additional initiation fee of $35 or so.  Imagine my surprise when my 1918 Pierce with "really valuable" YOM plates renewal registration came up at $949 (because it was expensive to buy).  So I jumped for HC plates with a flat $2/year ad valorem, and display one of the 1918 plates on the front (technically illegal) and the other underneath the HC plate on the rear.  There was no sticker for 1963 only because "63" was embossed in the tab area.

* If you opt for Historic Vehicle (HV) plates, there's a (approx) $35 initial fee but you will have a flat $2 ad valorem in perpetuity.  You will have to sign a DMV form saying you will use this vehicle **ONLY** for tours, club activities, and parades of public interest--eliminating Sunday drives, runs to Home Depot or the parts store, whatever--but that's NOT what the operative Section 5004 of the California Vehicle Code says:

[I'm adding bold + underscore to highlight important words in Section 5004]

Section 5004 Vehicles of Historic Value

Vehicles of Historic Value

5004.  (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this code, any owner of a vehicle described in paragraph (1), (2), or (3) which is operated or moved over the highway primarily for the purpose of historical exhibition or other similar purpose shall, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department, be issued special identification plates for the vehicle:

(1) A motor vehicle with an engine of 16 or more cylinders manufactured prior to 1965.

(2) A motor vehicle manufactured in the year 1922 or prior thereto.

(3) A vehicle which was manufactured after 1922, is at least 25 years old, and is of historic interest.

(b) The special identification plates assigned to motor vehicles with an engine of 16 or more cylinders manufactured prior to 1965 and to any motor vehicle manufactured in the year 1922 and prior thereto shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with "Horseless Carriage No. 1".

The special identification plates assigned to vehicles specified in paragraph (3) of subdivision (a) shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with "Historical Vehicle No. 1".

Each series of plates shall have different and distinguishing colors.

(c) A fee of twenty-five dollars ($25) shall be charged for the initial issuance of the special identification plates. Such plates shall be permanent and shall not be required to be replaced. If such special identification plates become damaged or unserviceable in any manner, replacement for the plates may be obtained from the department upon proper application and upon payment of such fee as is provided for in Section 9265.

(d) All funds received by the department in payment for such identification plates or the replacement thereof shall be deposited in the California Environmental License Plate Fund.

(e) These vehicles shall not be exempt from the equipment provisions of Sections 26709, 27150, and 27600.

(f) As used in this section, a vehicle is of historic interest if it is collected, restored, maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities.

Amended Ch. 918, Stats. 1984. Effective January 1, 1985.

Note the word "principally" is used, not "exclusively" as would seem to be indicated by the language of the DMV form.  To me, 51% is "principally."  But on such cars, I go to the DMV's own website and download and print (latter so the current date shows on the printed page) Section 5004 in its entirety and keep that page clipped to my registration document.  I've never been challenged on that.  I would hope that I would be able to talk a police officer out of issuing a questionable ticket, and I doubt that Sec 5004 is in the abridged CVC that motorcycle officers carry.  If you have antique auto insurance, one requirement of which is that the car is not a Daily Driver (DD), that's further evidence on your behalf.

My recommendation for you on what you've told us *IF* you'll use it as a DD:  Run regular modern issue plates and find a single 1963 black plate to put on the front for special occasions only.  If it's not a DD, put HV plates on it and a 1963 front plate but carry the other HV plate with you.

Edited by Grimy
added a few words for clarity; later corrected a misstatement (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I bought YOM plates for my 48 DeSoto back in the 80s when they were a lot cheaper than now.  I'm in Calif. and my state used to issue a plate for a certain year, Like 1947.  The 47 plates were used through 1950.  In 1951, California issued new plates.  The 47 plates were yellow with black lettering.  The 51 plates were black with yellow lettering.  Instead of issuing new plates every year, they issued small metal tags that you screwed onto the right corner of the plate.  When I took my 1947 California plates to the DMV, they said I also had to have two matching 48 tags with the same serial numbers on the back.  So I bought those, and then registered the 48 DeSoto with NOS YOM plates.  They were still in the original paper envelope.  And yes I have to pay a $10 extra fee for using YOM plates each year I renew the registration.  

On 2/23/2024 at 12:10 AM, Grimy said:

Huh?  What are you referring to, please?

He's talking about my post where I included licenseplatetv.com

I realize they are junk, but I like them as a novelty thing and since it's my money to spend I personally consider it a good purchase. Junk or not. 

I also have a set for my 30 Dodge because where else can you get another customized set that looks originally embossed with the same year design? The options are limited and are always knockoffs. 

If someone has DMV approved customized plates as an option for the real thing I'd like to know about it, but we all know that's not possible which is why I suggested it to the OP'er. 

It was just a suggestion and I clearly said "Obviously not DMV approved and not as heavy duty or exact".

I guarentee you if I hadn't posted the two (original and knockoff) next to each other in the same posting above Ted probably wouldn't have even known the difference ;) .

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2024 at 12:58 PM, 46 woodie said:

Zepher, It's the same way in New York, at least it is that way on Long Island. There are several DMV offices in my county. I once had what I considered a very small issue on a registration. The DMV agent rejected my registration and told me I needed more documentation. I went to a DMV office about 10 miles away and walked out with my new license plates. The right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing in NY.

Same thing happened to me, 

Here's another approach,  assuming your state allows repainting yom plates the same colors as when new if needed and otherwise in good condition. 
Do a little experimenting on something small before going whole hog...  You'll need fiberglass cloth, resin, release compound such as thick cook pan spray, and paint.  Apply release compound to the plate you wish to duplicate, cut a piece of fiberglass cloth a little bigger than the plate, saturate it with the mixed resin and lay it onto the face of the plate, pressing it down around the numbers so there is a good contact.  After it cures remove the fiberglass from the tag and; viola, you have a female mold to use to duplicate the tag.  Employ the same process and materials as in the first step.  When cured separate the pieces and carefully trim the duplicated tag and paint it.  Last step is to shrink wrap the two tags back to back.  Both sides will be visible, look identical, and the DMV probably won't require unwrapping them for further inspection.

I have been purposely staying away as much as possible for fear of diluting threads, but the above mentioned idea of making a tag is utterly ridiculous! If you want a repop there are those out there. In my state of MD a 'restored' tag is not useable. Repainting is prohibited, the original finish must be good and intact.

• Like 1

In New York State when you register a car with YOM plates, the requirement is to send in pictures of the plate and the NYSDMV will give you the OK. The plate can not be restored/repainted, even if the colors are exact. Most people have the plates restored after the car has been registered. Sometimes the state requirement makes no sense at all. One local guy has a car registered with YOM plates and the plates are rusty and un-readable, but it was OKed by the state, but a beautifully restored plate will be rejected. Another guy has been driving around for over 10 years with a plate from a company that sells "novelty" plates with zero problems. We were all wondering how he got such a uniquely numbered plate and he finally came clean and told us it was fake.

40 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

Another guy has been driving around for over 10 years with a plate from a company that sells "novelty" plates with zero problems. We were all wondering how he got such a uniquely numbered plate and he finally came clean and told us it was fake.

Like I mentioned earlier, if they are embossed and made to look like the original design then not many will even know they're novelty plates unless you tell them or have a real one sitting next to it for comparison.  Not that I agree with him driving on the roads with one, but I see nothing wrong with a novelty plate for car shows as fun relaxing displays. Hard to believe he's actually getting away with driving it on the road. You would think one police officer would be able to think outside the box. 

Professionally restored plates that are DMV approved should be allowed regardless, to not allow them is pretty ridiculous on behalf of the states but I think we all know why they don't allow them. 

3 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I have been purposely staying away as much as possible for fear of diluting threads, but the above mentioned idea of making a tag is utterly ridiculous! If you want a repop there are those out there. In my state of MD a 'restored' tag is not useable. Repainting is prohibited, the original finish must be good and intact.

States have their own requirements pertaining to the condition of yom plates.  In Virginia restored plates are in use routinely, and I have never had difficulty with them being approved at the DMV.
Admittedly, using fiberglass to make reproduction parts is best done where there is a need for  multiple copies of a part, all the same.   I made a part I needed using the process, then made and sold several copies, and finally sold the mold to a parts supplier. 

11 hours ago, ted sweet said:

ny now allows restored plates

I have YOM plates on 3 of my classics in NY.  I bought them on Ebay in good condition and sent pics to the DMV as required before applying a couple of coats of clear just to restore the luster.  They look as they did new.