1963 plates gone 🙁 (the car seller took the original plate off the car.)

30 Dodge, I see the car and owner with the "purchased plate" at almost every local car show and I doubt any police officer can tell that it's fake, I can't. You would need a really astute police officer, well versed on early license plates to even wonder how he got this unique YOM plate with the letters and numbers he has. If I was a police officer and saw the plates and all his paper work from the NYSDMV was legal, I would just let him go on his way. I'm not advocating people just order "fake" plates for their vehicle, I wouldn't do it.

50 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

30 Dodge, I see the car and owner with the "purchased plate" at almost every local car show and I doubt any police officer can tell that it's fake, I can't. You would need a really astute police officer, well versed on early license plates to even wonder how he got this unique YOM plate with the letters and numbers he has. If I was a police officer and saw the plates and all his paper work from the NYSDMV was legal, I would just let him go on his way. I'm not advocating people just order "fake" plates for their vehicle, I wouldn't do it.

Agreed, but in what state can you order an original (any year) DMV approved version that is customized to say something as obvious as 50 TUX as the example of a 1950 AZ plate?  All a police officer would have to do is ask himself "did 1950 offer custom plates for our state?" That's simply all I meant.

I suppose it depends on how "custom" his plate reads... if it's not so obvious (as MY69Vett for example) then I agree a police officer may never notice.

Now I'm curious to know how obvious his plate reads?

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I don't recall the exact details, but a friend was getting plates at the OR DMV and realized that a pretty good number combination was getting pretty close to the top of the pile. The nice lady dug them out for him and he has his custom numbers at no extra charge. Something like BIG 427 or the likes.

• Haha 1

30 Dodge, Well I'm not going to tell you his exact plate and how it reads, but let's say you have a 1940 Ford and you have a 1940 plate that reads "1940Ford", one would automatically ask, how the heck did you get an original plate from 1940 with those exact numbers and letters? Did they even make a 1940 plate with those numbers and letters, probably not, except perhaps for the Ford Motor Company on some 1940 show car? As I stated it was approved by the DMV. Now, I have seen 1932 plates that read "Deuce", did the DMV even call a '32 Ford a Deuce, can those plates be real? I'll bet a lot goes on that the various DMV's don't know about.

On 2/21/2024 at 11:26 PM, Karla welch said:

I thought about offering him money for the plate but money obviously means nothing because he gave his car with 46k original miles on it. It would’ve been cool to have the original plate that was issued with the car. 

Can also buy a reproduction set with same numbers/letters and offer him the new reproduction for the originals :)  Would look nice with a picture of the car in a frame.  

Edited by ChazA (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Update on the plate and car.
After 24 years this little car finally got to see sunlight. Happy little bug after some TLC and a wash and wax. Mechanic did some maintenance work. Still getting some bugs out of it but it sounds like a little sewing machine. Lots of spunk. Took a little drive through Sonoma wine country.  

As far as the plate situation… 

I texted his wife and offered a beautiful reproduction plate including month and 1963 sticker if he would be willing to trade.
His wife said the reproduction plate looks amazing.
5 days later.
Still No answer from the husband. It’s a shame because some day this plate will be tossed out. For me, I will be paying CA dmv $45 a year along with $165 in registration fees to have YOM plates on the car. Just such a waste. I have another month on my temporary sticker for him to change his mind. Once I switch that plate that’s it. The plate will not be allowed to be driven on the car. 

Edited by Karla welch (see edit history)
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Karla welch said:

I texted his wife and offered a beautiful reproduction plate...Still No answer from the husband.

Knowing old-car owners, and human nature, I think you'll

find that he wants to keep the original plate for sentimental

reasons.  Also, a genuine plate is more interesting than a

reproduction.  It's much the same, perhaps, as your

cherishing your child's kindergarten artwork more than a

color-photocopy of it.  But who knows?  It's certainly

thoughtful of you to locate and offer an alternative.

It's good to hear that your VW is running well and closer

to the reliable hobby car that you'll enjoy!

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Knowing old-car owners, and human nature, I think you'll

find that he wants to keep the original plate for sentimental

reasons.  Also, a genuine plate is more interesting than a

reproduction.  It's much the same, perhaps, as your

cherishing your child's kindergarten artwork more than a

color-photocopy of it.  But who knows?  It's certainly

thoughtful of you to locate and offer an alternative.

It's good to hear that your VW is running well and closer

to the reliable hobby car that you'll enjoy!

I wasn’t about to guilt trip the owner. I totally understand his feelings. The DMV is so difficult to deal with in a situation like this.
Do you know much about fees associated with using a YOM plate. I know there’s a yearly charge but someone wrote on this group that they will add another yearly value increase every year? 

Good to hear back from you Karla, So many people ask one question then disappear. I hope you will be sticking around for the long term. Its great to hear you have the car on the road and are starting to enjoy it. Personally I would not get too hung up on the license plate. Sure it would be cool and a great conversation piece if you had it. However you said that the car was 'given' to you. I suspect the original owner did not have the means, will power, time, stamina or any other thing to keep his car. If him holding on to the license plate is what keeps the memories of that car alive for him then so be it. I would be happy for him and grateful for the gift as it is.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Karla welch said:

...Do you know much about fees associated with using a YOM plate. I know there’s a yearly charge... 

Every state is different, and I'm in Pennsylvania.

This state is quite friendly to antique cars (and is

the headquarters of the AACA), where we pay a

one-time fee when we get the car, and that is 

good for life--even 20, 40, 50 years that one may

own the car.  Registration is about $75 for life, plus an

extra one-time charge for a year-of-manufacture plate.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

John, I envy you, nothing in New York is a "one-time fee". The NY State DMV charges you every single year, registration fee, state tax, county use tax, special plate fee etc.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 6:36 AM, EmTee said:

I have YOM plates on 3 of my classics in NY.  I bought them on Ebay in good condition and sent pics to the DMV as required before applying a couple of coats of clear just to restore the luster.  They look as they did new.

Do you also have to pay a yearly “ad valorem” on each car with the YOM plates? 
Someone in the group mentioned when they changed to YOM plate the dmv re valued the car worth much more. Now his registration is hundreds of dollars more. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Good to hear back from you Karla, So many people ask one question then disappear. I hope you will be sticking around for the long term. Its great to hear you have the car on the road and are starting to enjoy it. Personally I would not get too hung up on the license plate. Sure it would be cool and a great conversation piece if you had it. However you said that the car was 'given' to you. I suspect the original owner did not have the means, will power, time, stamina or any other thing to keep his car. If him holding on to the license plate is what keeps the memories of that car alive for him then so be it. I would be happy for him and grateful for the gift as it is.

I’m incredibly grateful to Bill. I’ve never had anyone be this generous to me in my life. 

I’ve always loved cars. I remember riding in my dads TR3 hanging half way out trying to touch the ground as my dad would pull away. Also remember my brother and I riding in the open back trunk in my dads 64 corvette while my parents drove in car rallies. I guess that why I’m so hung up on the plate. I feel like it’s part of the cars soul. I know, sounds silly. 
I contacted the wife for the last time. I apologized for bothering her. She said not to worry I’m not bothering her at all. She will ask him. If he still wants it that’s fine.  I will have to let it go. 

Edited by Karla welch (see edit history)
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Karla welch said:

Not in NY.  The registration fee is based on the vehicle's weight, so the fee doesn't change with YOM plates.  NY charges fees for a 2-year renewal period on standard passenger cars, however, Historical registration (required with YOM plates) renew annually.

I just looked up Texas as a refresher.........  If the car is 25 years old or older there are some options. 

First you can register it as a normal car, registering it every year and it must be inspected. 

Next you can register it as a classic and the state will issue you a classic car tag but there is still an annual registration and inspection and there is no restriction on driving the vehicle.   You can also apply to use year of manufacture tags. 

Registering as an antique is an advantage in registration dollars as the registration is good for 5 years, no inspection, they issue antique tags but you are restricted to driving to shows, parades, and for maintenance (tours seem to qualify as show) and I know of no owner that has been hassled about the antique tag.   Again you can submit a year of manufacturer tag.  It must be the correct color (restored is not required) the letter/number combination cannot already be in use.   If the vehicle is newer than 1921 the 5 year fee is $50  older than 1921 the fee is $40

The most common problem is getting a clerk that is unfamiliar with the process and it takes more time than it should to get processed.  

18 hours ago, Karla welch said:

Someone in the group mentioned when they changed to YOM plate the dmv re valued the car worth much more. Now his registration is hundreds of dollars more. 

**In California** where you are, ad valorem (value-based tax) is charged on every auto but is limited to $2/year for (1) Historic Vehicle (HV) plates (>25 yrs old, not used as Daily Driver) and (2) Horseless Carriage (HC) plates (pre-1923 year model + 16-cyl autos thru 1963 (?), also not used as DD).  Regular registration for cars and trucks (not trailers) + YOM plates pay full ad valorem based on the price you attested to when you transferred the car into your name (see more below).  The value on which the ad valorem is based drops by a percentage (2.5%?) every year until it stops at 20 yrs in your name.  The latter is unfair IMHO:  The 26-yr-old truck I bought new is now ad valorem-taxed at 50% of its new price although by no means is its 2024 value that high, and if you bought a new $100K Mercedes 20 yrs ago you'd be taxed as if it were still worth $50K.

In your case, because the VW was not an eligible familial gift, DMV assigned a value based on a value guide (or perhaps their reading of goat entrails), and that value is your "basis" for descending tax over the next 19 years.

As to "someone in the group," you may be thinking of my comment early on in which I reported that my 1918 Pierce with YOM plates had a huge annual ad valorem (>$830) because of what I paid for it--after buying it from the previous 29-year owner; accordingly, I opted for HC plates but (unlawfully) display one of the 1918 YOM plates on the front and carry the other HC plate under the seat.

Personally (and this will be your own value judgment), assuming this is a hobby car not a DD, I'd go for HV plates with the $2 annual ad valorem in perpetuity.  I'd have a repro plate made to match the original and display it on the front.  I'd also ask the previous owner to contact me and hand over the original plates when they no longer want them.  For the latter, you MUST keep some documentation that the specific numbers were assigned to that car--for example, an old registration or copy of title.

Hope this helps, and hope you have a wonderful time with the VW!

• Like 2

On 2/22/2024 at 12:47 PM, 46 woodie said:

Dandy Dave, I see from your info that you are in New York State. In NY, if you purchase year of manufacture plates and use them on your car, the plates belong to you, not the State. If you sell the car, you keep the plates, they are considered personal property and you do not need to turn them back into the state as you do with normal NYS DMV plates.

Thanks. I did not know that. 1915 Plates cost plenty to get a set with a good usable number.

The ~ $3 fee to swap your Historical registration over to your YOM plates is probably the last 'bargain' you'll receive from New York state!  ;)

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to 1963 plates gone 🙁 (the car seller took the original plate off the car.)