Hemmings Motor News Offer $15

B Jake Moran

I received a mailing from Hemmings for a one year subscription to Hemmings Motor News for $20.  Further research showed that processing this order by an on-line method saved another $5.  

Are you kidding me?  $15 for one year of Hemmings runs to $1.25 per month, or basically free.  I processed the opportunity.  

• Like 4

That’s a very reasonable price, but is it for their print or digital subscription?  I went to the website and had difficulty figuring it out. I would think that there would be a cost difference with hard copy print subscriptions costing more than digital. I’m a dinosaur who prefers hard copy books, magazines, newspapers, etc. 

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The problem I see with Hemmings, editorials on how to restomod or hot rod, a few auction results which are easily found online, and ads for cars that haven’t sold at unrealistic prices, so let’s advertise in Hemmings.

Takes 10 minutes, through with an issue and in trash.  Worth a couple bucks?  Maybe.

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Last renewal cycle no way were they getting $30 or $32.  I waited and only renewed when it got to $10 or $12 bucks.  Felt I had to since I have been subscribing since age 14 or 15.  

Trimacar is right, the editorial content adds little value relative to my interest anyway, and once popular sections now barely fill a couple pages.  Not sure I am going to bother now.

While I agree print media is tough I am not sure they do much to help themselves either.

• Like 4

I never was much interested in the original Hemmings, seemed to have mostly eastern U.S. ads. I subscribed to "Classic Cars" magazine and it's predecessor until foreign cars were added. I quit "Crankshaft" too because of the foreign car content.

At one time, I was subscribing to 5 or 6 car magazines. No longer. There's more than I can consume for free on the Internet.

I dropped my Hemmings subscription decades ago. The ads for overpriced cars and parts were long out of date by the time the issue arrived. Hemmings missed their chance - they SHOULD have been ebay motors, given their head start in advertisers. Now they are long out of date and the "editorial content" is not why I'd get Hemmings.

• Like 3

I subscribed because of the free status, essentially, as explained.  I know it’s a shadow of its old self. But I do like Hemmings Classic Cars and Hemmings Muscle magazines. I don’t subscribe but I did off and on for a few years.  Hemmings includes (or did include) elements of their magazines in HMN. 

I am considering getting back into a restoration and would like the ads for the vendors/companies that might help me. I could get all that out of just one issue, but HMN wasn’t at the Barnes & Noble I went to.  

The last time I subscribed was probably 15 years ago. I think I paid the discounted rate then but it was $40. I was just amazed that’s $15.  And it is a 4th class mailed real magazine.  I double checked that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B Jake Moran said:

I am considering getting back into a restoration and would like the ads for the vendors/companies that might help me. I could get all that out of just one issue, but HMN wasn’t at the Barnes & Noble I went to.

I saw the latest issue of HMN on a supermarket magazine rack just the other day. It was about 1/2 the thickness that I remember from years past. I  didn't bother to thumb through it. As far as the ads are concerned, almost all parts and services that an old car maintainer/restorer might need are listed somewhere on the internet. Not much practical need for print material anymore except for fireplace starters and garbage wrappers.

13 hours ago, trimacar said:

The problem I see with Hemmings, editorials on how to restomod or hot rod, a few auction results which are easily found online, and ads for cars that haven’t sold at unrealistic prices, so let’s advertise in Hemmings.

Takes 10 minutes, through with an issue and in trash.  Worth a couple bucks?  Maybe.

Dave,  you are 100% right.   Hemmings has been worthless for at least 10 years and probably a lot longer.  I canceled my subscription 15 years ago.   Once in a while I see one and pick it up and I'm through it in under 5 minutes.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Dave,  you are 100% right.   Hemmings has been worthless for at least 10 years and probably a lot longer.  I canceled my subscription 15 years ago.   Once in a while I see one and pick it up and I'm through it in under 5 minutes.  

Not for me. I found my 1937 Buick Roadmaster Convertible Phaeton through a Hemmings Motor News ad in 2020. That was worth what I have paid in subscriptions for many years.

• Like 1

The hemmings 'big book' has been a staple in my households since I was a kid. I remember back to the brown paper cover issues. I subscribed just because. Had never had the pocket book to buy anything so it was just dreaming. I also started to subscribe to their specialties, Classic, and Muscle cars. Then the big book started to put a few articles in the front for browsers like me I suppose. They were redundant with articles in there sister publications. The print was so small that I even had a hard time reading anything with my glasses so I stopped getting it. I still get Classic and Muscle. I usually sign up for several years at a time and get a good price. Also wait until about the 3rd or 4th notice and the price goes down.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

Not for me. I found my 1937 Buick Roadmaster Convertible Phaeton through a Hemmings Motor News ad in 2020. That was worth what I have paid in subscriptions for many years.

In fairness, I have a buddy who found a fairly desirable car that was only advertised in Hemmings because the seller was 80 something and didn’t know anything else. So I do believe that happens.

• Like 1

I gave it up. the size is less than half before the pandemic. Many familiar articles missing , like new gadgets, and opinion articles. The prices of articles for sale on the online version are way out of line. Recently I received emails from a few companies trying to sell me parts. One is SMS who advertise on Hemmings Hard copy. I also get emails from other venders trying to sell me something. I label them on "SCAM". It a sign that we are in a recession and may take years to get out of it. 

I still get the magazine, and hope they thrive.

However, the owners are not putting all their efforts,

I believe, into the magazine:  Many, many cars for sale

are advertised on their internet site only and do not

make it into the magazine.  I think that ALL cars on their

internet site should also be in the print publication.

Printed material has a big advantage:  Cars may not

sell immediately, and then not be advertised later.

A reader can go back many months later and inquire

from old ads.  I once called about a car that was

for sale a year earlier, and it was still available. 

17 hours ago, alsancle said:

Tough to be in the print media business.

AFAIK, has been for couple of decades already, thanks to digital media, including online forums.

While I've placed a few small ads in Hemmings over the decades (and sold a couple due to those ads), I've never subscribed to it, as I've never had that much time to read or peruse through the few mags I have had subscriptions for decades already.

I guess I have other things to do.

OTOH, if any or all automotive related magazines, digital or print, went out of business indefinitely tomorrow, I probably wouldn't notice their demise for months or perhaps even years.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Printed material has a big advantage:  Cars may not

sell immediately, and then not be advertised later.

A reader can go back many months later and inquire

from old ads.  I once called about a car that was

for sale a year earlier, and it was still available. 

John, 

I have done that many times.  I have even purchased a couple of cars that way. 20 years ago a car would be shown in Hemmings and I would go "wow I have to have it, but I can't afford it."  Check a few months later and make the deal.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, alsancle said:

Then I wonder why it was so important years ago?  I am almost 60 (6 more weeks) and started in the hobby 44 years ago.  Back then, Hemmings Motor News and Peterson's magazine - Collector Cars I believe - were the go to magazines along with that lesser marketplace - name escapes me but it was fun.  

Then Collectible Automobile.  

I think there is a misconception regarding Hemmings, maybe not.  Hemmings was for me a magazine to start in front, with a cup of coffee or a beer, and slowly turn each page to reveal something cool, a car, a story, even cars beyond my reach but ones you didn't see.

In fact, much of my interest has been derived from reading Collectible Automobile or a historical Auto book like Hendry's Cadillac books, or Buick books, then going to Hemmings to "find it."   That is how I found most of my cars long before the Internet took over.  

And just to know they were out there, wow!  

Now I don't know about the current magazine but like someone noted, they have a feature car on each segment, and auction results which are fun to read, before going to the columned pages.  

Now, I am not expecting to find my next car or vehicle but rather I want a "one stop shop" for the vendors which can help me.  Otherwise, you use google, type in something, and Google decides if it's relevant.  

Some of you folks are deep into the hobby and don't need reminded of vendors.  Until a couple of days ago I forgot about YEAR ONE, which was an up and coming parts provider for muscle cars.  

The bottom line is $15 is free, and I will get FREE use out of Hemmings, browsing with that beer, jotting down what I need, keeping one copy as a reference.  Recycling the rest.  Maybe Hemmings will read everyone's comments here and adjust, but to me it sounds like most of you would never subscribe anyway, no matter what.  

• Like 1

In the ‘80’s and ‘90’s the way to find parts was via Hemmings and club newsletters. And if you really wanted to get a jump you would pay for first class delivery. That was all before the Internet including eBay. Now, 40 years later, the really good parts supply has to a large degree dried up and it doesn’t seem like Hemmings plays much of a role. Hemmings back then was a lot of fun. Not any more. 

2 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Then I wonder why it was so important years ago?  I am almost 60 (6 more weeks) and started in the hobby 44 years ago.  Back then, Hemmings Motor News and Peterson's magazine - Collector Cars I believe - were the go to magazines along with that lesser marketplace - name escapes me but it was fun. 

It was important many years ago because it was THE place to sell or find a car or part or vendor.  Now it is so far down the list to be irrelevant.   There are the exceptions to the rule where some much older gentleman advertises an interesting car at a fair price only in Hemmings.  But that is the exception.  99% of the cars in that magazine have been all over the internet for weeks by the time that printed mag is in your hands.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

John, 

I have done that many times.  I have even purchased a couple of cars that way. 20 years ago a car would be shown in Hemmings and I would go "wow I have to have it, but I can't afford it."  Check a few months later and make the deal.  

I've done this many times with ebay ads. When a car or part gets zero bids and relisted multiple times, I'll finally contact the seller and often have made a deal.

• Like 3

I dont have an i pad or similar device.  I do have a non apple smart phone, but 90% of its use is for business, the other 10% to contact family or friends through a text. I should but dont even have the phone syncd with my email. I do all of that stuff through the computer on my desk. I cannot stand reading articles and such on the phone and have thought since the day they were introduced that I wanted an I pad. I have come very close several times to buying one, even as much as not being able to find a store associate being the reason not to. Then I walk away and think about what I would use it for. Reading online magazines always comes to mind. I am a hands on guy for work and although I could probably use more technology for my business an electronic device cannot build a cabinet door, plane a board, paint a baseboard, etc. etc. so I stay away. I can buy many a year of subscriptions for the price to look at magazines on the go, and not have to worry about charging. Not knocking the process and those that do, just not for me.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I cannot stand reading articles and such on the phone and have thought since the day they were introduced that I wanted an I pad.

I refuse to be part of a cult, so no Apple devices for me (nor Tesla, etc). I do have a Lenovo Yoga laptop where the screen folds completely around to the back of the keyboard so you can also use it as a tablet. This way I have both types with only one device, and I never have to worry that the file I want is on the other one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My son does everything on his I phone. And he has a larger pad. It gives me the shivers watching him navigate around things, LOL. I took typing class in high school and at one time had a very high rate. I still type very good to this day and enjoy it. I cannot type on my phone. I hunt and peck through text messages with a single digit. I see a lot of people (kids) that can type faster on a phone than I can on my desk keyboard. I will look at the aaca forum on my phone, but am not logged in with it so I cannot reply even if I wanted to. I will wait until after work or when I get to my desk in the morning. As I sit, my phone is off to the corner on its charger, volume off, where it will stay until next Wednesday(day I am going back to work).

Well, I own no IOS devices, however, I do use an Apple laptop and iMac.  I switched about 20 years ago after getting tired of resuscitating my daughter's Windows laptop at college (fortunately she was local).  I finally said "enough" and replaced it with an Apple laptop.  Never a problem from that point forward.  My experience has been likewise.  Once you get past the purchase price, the cost of ownership is basically zero.  Unlike Microsoft, Apple OS updates are free.  Yes, peripherals must be bought from Apple, but that practice ensures that everything is truly "plug & play".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I dropped Hemmings about 15 years ago. Couldn’t stand the smell the print gave off. I dropped Hemmings Classic Car at issue 200. The publication went down to 76 pages from 108 or so. I also missed Richard L as the editor. I was not keen on the one who took over after. They sent me an offer for a year at $12.00. I heard they have a new editor so I am taking a chance it has rebounded. If not I am out $12 bucks. 

• Like 2

I gave up my subscription several years ago, and felt sad taking Sixty years worth of issues, and every issue of HemmInge Classic Car to be recycled -

couldn’t even give them away -

same for decades of Old Cars Weekly,

and most major clubs-

n my any trips with a fully loaded suburban 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

I gave up my subscription several years ago, and felt sad taking Sixty years worth of issues, and every issue of HemmInge Classic Car to be recycled -

couldn’t even give them away -

same for decades of Old Cars Weekly,

and most major clubs-

n my any trips with a fully loaded suburban 

I had collected almost every edition of Fine Woodworking since day one (had a pile that were dads). Filled several shelves. Came home one day and my wife had thrown them all away. Just about started wwIII! Her response was, they were collecting dust and anything in them could be found online. Guess what, she was correct!! I will keep my car magazines around for a couple of months past their prime then when I have a small stack I will quickly look through one more time, IF I find anything of special interest I will make a scan (which rarely happens) then to the recycle bin. The only one I keep now is Crankshaft, which I was giving to my brother when he visits from the great white north. 

• Like 1

I got into the car hobby in 1959. At the time newsstand magazines with original or restored cars were generally of British origin as were the veteran and vintage hardcover books. Hot Rod and Rod and Custom were American magazines. In my early teens I subscribed to Car Life, though.

I ignored Hemmings Motor News until the early 1980s. "Motor" in the title immediately connected to foreign for me. And Hemmings did not have the familiarity of a real American name like Jones or Smith or, most American of all, Chevrolet. I just passed it off as focused on those odd, buzzing cars.

I subscribed for about 10 years after realizing what it was. Good reading for three to four days each month. Better than a lot of 1980s evening TV. Lots of dreams. If someone had to feed their family from my Hemmings purchases they would have some hungry kids. The only money I can remember spending was for the subscription.

Today I get each copy one month late from a subscriber, look through briefly, and pass it on the a third reader.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

*** Update ***

I got my 1st Hemmings Motor News from the subscription.  1st observation is it is half the size of the last one I remember, and that is , well, not a bad thing.  Definitely no longer a hobbyist to hobbyist sales marketplace, about 95% "dealer" ads, and I think Hemmings has a new requirement - 

1.  Ad price must be 4 x the average #2 sales guide price.  My god, everything seemed to be $100,000.  I saw a 1980 Ford Futura with 30,000 miles for $75,000 asking!   Most of the dealer ads say "CALL" next to the hot rod, er, resto mod, er muscle car.  

2. The Beverly Hills Car Club has most of the ads in the make sections.  Without this dealer, Hemmings doesn't exist. 

3.  Most of the writers in the front have left, leaving one guy who openly claims "I know nothing about pre war cars."  

4.  See #2, and add a few more ads by Gullwing.  

5. VOLO Auto Museum is having a big sale.  They have too many cars! OMG.  So they have slashed the prices from $95,000 for a 1971 Chevy Nova SS Restomod to, well, CALL.  

I can use this for some parts vendors, but I don't need 12 issues for that.  There won't be any "deals" next month.  I imagine the clientele Hemmings caters to are the salt and pepper millionaires who come home empty from BJ Scottsdale.   They don't care if they line the dealers pockets with a $60,000 profit as long as they can puff up at the next show n shine with their restomod.  

I saw exactly ONE car I may be interested in pursuing and that was a 1920's Buick Master 6 from - you guessed it - The Beverly Hills Car Club for $7500.   

I will read some of the color pages in the front in the next couple of weeks.  But wow, I don't see this marketplace magazine being available 10 years from now.  I will be 70, and the hobby another 10 years on. Hemmings staff will be bare bones, automated and just a restomod magazine of maybe 125 pages.  Maybe. 

On 12/22/2023 at 6:05 AM, TAKerry said:

The hemmings 'big book' has been a staple in my households since I was a kid. I remember back to the brown paper cover issues. I subscribed just because. Had never had the pocket book to buy anything so it was just dreaming. I also started to subscribe to their specialties, Classic, and Muscle cars. Then the big book started to put a few articles in the front for browsers like me I suppose. They were redundant with articles in there sister publications. The print was so small that I even had a hard time reading anything with my glasses so I stopped getting it. I still get Classic and Muscle. I usually sign up for several years at a time and get a good price. Also wait until about the 3rd or 4th notice and the price goes down.

I do remember the days when it was divided into "Ford" and "Non-Ford".

I didn't subscribe but would buy an occasional issue and enjoy reading it cover to cover. I often did it if I had a long flight and on more than one occasion seeing it caused an interesting conversation with a fellow enthusiast. Actually I still do this.  

• Like 1

Not even sure I will pull the trigger when I get my $15 offer.  Kids across the street are moving so I cannot unload the older issues on them anymore.  It had become the main reason for hanging in there.