Body Style as A Decision to Purchase

B Jake Moran

Do any of you have this issue as well?  -->

I am considering the purchase of a project vehicle.  I am basically only looking on Facebook marketplace.  I located a convertible in the make/year that I am most interested in.  I have also located a 2 door hardtop, same make.  

I also enjoy a nicely styled 4 door hardtop, not so much a 4 door sedan.  

This car is from the 1960's.   I am almost 60 years old.  I can afford both the convertible and 2 door hardtop.  But I am probably kidding myself to think I have enough time to restore BOTH, and maybe not the money. 

I keep mulling this purchase around in my head, and have come to the conclusion I prefer the 2 door hardtop version!   Everybody loves convertibles and there is nothing like a full size 60's American convertible with the top down.  

But, I recently purchased a nice 2007 Mazda Miata and it almost always has the top down. Sort of scratched that itch, even though it's not technically an "old car".  

Have you decided to purchase a 2 door or 4 door model over a convertible because you prefer the styling and overall comfort?  

Values almost always favor the convertible body style, but I am not real concerned as either way I will be upside down. 

• Like 1

Back in my long-vanished youth, I've had two closed collector cars, a '31 Ford Victoria and a '27 REO Flying Cloud.  Both good cars, but I wouldn't do it again.  Purely personal, but to me an open car is an adventure and a closed car is an appliance, and it doesn't matter whose name is on the radiator.  As for appearance, raised cloth tops often look like afterthoughts .  But unless I'm caught in a monsoon, my tops are never up, so it's not an issue.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Not by design but as I look at it  our 3 cars they are all open.  Here in New England a cozy closed car can be nice also. 

I can rattle off several closed cars, 2 and 4 door that I like, it's really a matter of taste..

31 Model A slant window sedan

Most any prewar club sedan

Immediate postwar GM coupes, first hardtops 49 on...

GM 2 & 4 door hardtops of the 50s.

61 - 65 Lincoln sedan 

Ist gen fwd Toro/Eldo

BMW 2002, to break away from US a bit for something different, you get the point though... 

Go for it!

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

ALL of our old cars are convertible/open cars -

and with the exception of tow vehicles and a couple of "family" cars,

all have also been convertibles as well-

Why?

Because I like them better.

Driving a convertible, you are part of the great outdoors-

anything else, you're just looking at the outdoors through a window or a hole in the roof -

Just my opinion ...

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

Do any of you have this issue as well? 

Nope. For me with any specific make and/or model it starts with the look of the car whether it be a convertible, coupe, or sedan and whether I like that look in that body style. Usually, one clearly stands out to me as "the one". Then it comes down to what I can afford. 

Robert

• Like 1

The magic words: "I prefer the 2 door hardtop version!"

If that's what you prefer, that's what you should do! 

It's a hobby, what you prefer should be the #1 guide. 

Being old car nuts is, for most of us, a quirky hobby that doesn't make a lot of sense on paper but that we do because it gives us joy.  As long as you go in knowing the likely $$ picture over the long run, and you're cool with that, then go for it.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 1935Packard said:

The magic words: "I prefer the 2 door hardtop version!"

If that's what you prefer, that's what you should do! 

It's a hobby, what you prefer should be the #1 guide. 

Being old car nuts is, for most of us, a quirky hobby that doesn't make a lot of sense on paper but that we do because it gives us joy.  As long as you go in knowing the likely $$ picture over the long run, and you're cool with that, then go for it.  

Thanks, so far convertible votes win.    Think of how many cars were conceived and executed as 2 door hardtops.  1963 Buick Riviera, 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado, 1967 Cadillac Eldorado, 1962-63-64 Pontiac Grand Prix.  

• Like 1

I enjoy the driving experience, and also styling.

All of your stated body styles are fine with me,

depending on how well the designers executed them.

Some 4-door sedans (such as General Motors'

full-sized cars of the late 1970's) are fine too.

For my cars, I have an interesting assortment.

Convertibles look good primarily with the top down,

and may cost double a 2-door hardtop, so I would

rather have 2 cars than one!

• Like 1

It all depends on the car. 60- 61 Fords I prefer the 2 dr HT over the convert , but only a bit. Mustangs I actually don't like any of the converts all that much. Same for 1968 - 69- 70 - 71 Torino and Cyclone. The Sports roof's are by far my favorite over the convert's and formal roof's. But most other cars I prefer the convert's.

I like convertibles for the looks but wouldn't want to drive one. Closed cars are so much more comfortable. I used to be strongly in favor of a 2 door hardtop or at least, a coupe but today people don't seem to have the prejudice against 4 door sedans and station wagons and I tend to agree.

Generally speaking I have a preference for certain body styles but it is not a deal breaker if a car is otherwise desirable.

Hardtop coupes have always been a favorite with me. There were lots of cars that were only built as convertibles in very small numbers over a small number of years.  Buick Riviera, Pontiac Grand Prix. First gen ELDorado. and Lincoln Marks were never built as convertibles. I like the looks of a nice fastback, but I've currently got two convertibles. 

I think everyone should have at least one open vehicle. I had a fifty Ford convertible for about 25 years. 
I bought a CJ5 Jeep about 50 years ago which is a canvas top, bikini top, or no top and finally sold the Ford because I was always driving the Jeep.

Still have the Jeep, still fun.

IMHO once I saw "restore" and questions about time and lack of finances it was a red flag. Unless one of the cars is very special (rare of unique) the self imposed caveats made any process a non-starter. I see a dream without the commitment to make it happen. If it were me I would hope to have the common sense to walk away from the mess. 

Restorations are for the young, financially well heeled and those who enjoy the process.  

Always had convertibles for the last 40 years, and occasionally for 20 years before that, and three currently. Bought a Buick LeSabre 2-door hardtop a few years back, and enjoy it very much. More recently, I found a Wildcat convertible, same year and even the same color. I drive the hardtop mostly in spring and fall when the weather's changeable, and the convertible on clear sunny days and through the summer. Best of both worlds.

The winter driver is a Jeep 4x4 SUV.

I owned a '64 Malibu SS convertible for over 30 years and I loved every minute in the driver's seat, especially with the top down.

Currently, I do not own a convertible but do own two cars with sunroofs.

Not even close to being the same.

My bucket list has a few pre-war convertibles.

I love driving around with the top down almost as much as I love being on two wheels out in the open air.

• Like 1

Isn't this hobby all about working on, and hopefully driving, what interests you?  September with a convertible is about as perfect as it gets.  But an April rainstorm in a big heavy hardtop isn't bad either.  In December you'll need an old truck for the Christmas tree.  August is a lot better with air conditioning.  In June you'll want a little two seater for the mountain passes.  In March, around here at least, I would suggest an old German half track.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

What happened to the project car with the young man who lost his father?

This car could be restored by us.  But I am was mostly looking at old pickups for the 2 of us.  We are pretty close to sitting down and going through all of the vehicles I have on save for Facebook marketplace.  

It is interesting to see what is selling and what is not. 

• Like 1

I have three convertibles and I never use them with the top up.

That being said, Now the tops have shrunk so much that I couldn't put them up if I tried.

I priced the replacements and they are so expensive, for something that you don't use, I wonder if I will ever buy another one.

I tried selling one and no ne would buy it without a new top. (they looked up the price of a new top)

Sometimes what you like and what you can do change as you get older. I have one for show two for go, one of which I've owned for over 30yrs the other a little short of 20yrs. They both took a backseat to other cars in the collection some years ago. It wasn't by choice it was mandated by skin cancer. I just got one of them up and running after an engine rebuild-it had been sitting for about 5yrs. I'm determined to get some use out of it even if I have to drive it with the top up. 

• Like 1

I'm similar to you in that I have an NC (3rd gen) Miata. It's such a great car, I generally prefer driving it to anything else when it's top-down weather. Because of this, I find I prefer the bodystyle that worked best for a given design. In my eye, a C2 Corvette coupe is nicer then the convertible. The flipside is a E-Type Jag is nicer as a convertible then a coupe. I don't own either, but if I were shopping, that's how I'd decide. I also don't like driving with the top down on hot, sunny days, so some of the benefit of a convertible is lost on me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CarNucopia said:

I'm similar to you in that I have an NC (3rd gen) Miata. It's such a great car, I generally prefer driving it to anything else when it's top-down weather. Because of this, I find I prefer the bodystyle that worked best for a given design. In my eye, a C2 Corvette coupe is nicer then the convertible. The flipside is a E-Type Jag is nicer as a convertible then a coupe. I don't own either, but if I were shopping, that's how I'd decide. I also don't like driving with the top down on hot, sunny days, so some of the benefit of a convertible is lost on me.

I know with all three of those examples, I wouldn't be able to get into a coupe version. Then again the convertible ones I'd look like an adult driving a child's car :D

• Like 1

A few years back I came to know a dealer in Paris, Kentucky, selling a 49 Buick Roadmaster Riviera and 2 49 Super convertibles, one with  Dynaflow, the other 3 speed manual.

I was only interested in the Riviera and bought that one. Then I told my brother what I had done and he said are you nuts? Why you didn't buy a convertible. You do have 5 hardtops and no convertible. Okay, bought one of the convertibles, package deal. The convertible is on the road since 4 years, the Riv is not. Regret that I didn't buy the 2nd convertible. 😂

Usually I prefer the early 50s hardtops over convertibles because I love the design of the roof and the side windows. The convertibles are just cut off hardtops, missing so many design features and they just look clumsy. But my 49 convertible is the most beautiful clumsy convertible I can think off.... Sorry to say. 

• Like 3

Each situation is different.  We had a choice with the 40 Packard, in our price range it was either a closed Full Classic or a convertible pretty much in ready to roll condition.  The only car that seemed to fit both bills might be a Lincoln Contimental, love the styling but the V12 was a consideration.  Anyway the right Connie didn't present itself anyway and the convertible won out.  Tough to beat on a late August early evening cruise... 😊

In terms of the 60s hardtop assume it is in better condition?  Also a factor..

I am an impulse buyer. If I like it and have the money I just buy it. That includes a nice car or a project. My price range these days is $10,000-$12,000. My greatest concern is where to park one. I ask myself "Is this car worth an extra $1,500 per year because something will have to go into paid storage.

If a car doesn't meet my initial expectations I sell it. I have sold a lot more cars than I own and still have kept more than your typical sane person so it must be working.

Convertibles. I have a 37 year old one that I drove a lot this year. I was looking at it a couple of days ago thinking it is about time to put the top up. I put it down in the spring and up in the fall. It is the only one stored away from home recently.

IMG_0266(2).JPG.83aa52d889b26bef60905def53e2e85a.JPG

The others are uncovered for my viewing pleasure in my garage all winter.

I never ask for advice. Back in the late 1980s I lost a chance to buy a really nice car while farting around over a few hundred dollars. I haven't done that again. I am still damaged from the incident. Today I know that I can sell a car easier than I can live with the memory of missing it.

I also look back and remember that the cars I diligently researched  and made an intelligent purchase of were sold sooner.

Making a non-impulsive car purchase is right in there with having your mother pick out a girlfriend for you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

At one time my brother and sister in law both drove MG's of various models. All of their cars had their tops cut at one time or another and I vowed never to own a convertible. Looking at a second car quite a few years ago, took a mustang convertible (90's model) on a test ride. That thing shook and rattled more than a horse drawn buckboard. Again, never will own a convertible. A few years ago my wife got the itch again for a new mustang. She wanted a convertible badly. I talked to every owner I would see any where on the road. They all gave good reviews. Ended up buying one in 2014. I LOVE that car and the first thing I do is put the top down. We have a 60deg limit that if its over that top down, if its chilly put the heat on. In summer if its too hot fire up the ac (with top down of course). Car is solid and drives great. I would gladly get another.

• Like 3

When traveling with my parents many decades ago, there happened to be a car show in the town where we overnighted.  One of the entrants was a gorgeous Marmon coupe.  I immediately fell in love with that car and can still see it in my mind's eye.  I'm sure it's the one that infected me with the old car bug.  To this day, I'm still partial to 30s coupes and I've owned several of them - none so grandiose as a Marmon, but coupes nonetheless.  My modern rides have been 2-door hardtops, which are about as close to coupes as can be had nowadays.  As I was living in the midwest at the time, they were more practical than convertibles there.  But now that I've retired to a milder climate, I'm considering a rag-top.  I also like pickups and various commercial vehicles.

18 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

I also like pickups and various commercial vehicles.

"Due to my wife's condition" it is easier for her to climb up than sit down. I had to buy a longitudinal engine, body on frame, 18 year old vehicle with a budding collector following. I am learning to live with it.

IMG_0674.JPG.ea6bfb5ab06bf55495a10226493fa595.JPG

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

"Due to my wife's condition" it is easier for her to climb up than sit down. I had to buy a longitudinal engine, body on frame, 18 year old vehicle with a budding collector following. I am learning to live with it.

IMG_0674.JPG.ea6bfb5ab06bf55495a10226493fa595.JPG

Nice looking truck.

Yep, both my wife and I are well into our seniority and have some mobility issues.  Our "modern" DD is a pickup (same vintage and layout as yours) because it's easier/safer for us to sit, then swing our legs in.  The truck seat is butt-height so it's more convenient than a lower one.  Course, the truck also is handy for hauling our various stuff.