To repaint or not to repaint… original AMC Rambler Cross Country wagon in great condition.

Matt129

Hello everyone! I’m looking into buying an AMC Rambler Cross Country wagon in great condition. All original paint, all original interior, and all of it in beautiful condition. Here lies the problem… it’s black and looks like a hearse 😂. I would love to have it painted turquoise or robins egg blue or something like that, but it’s the original paint, and it’s not like it’s in bad shape either. It’s still glossy in fact. I would hate to repaint it because of how original the vehicle is, but like I said, it looks like a hearse lol. What do all of you think? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also, how is the parts availability on these? I know AMC’s can be hit or miss in that department. 

• Like 1

I am a proponent of keeping the original color. If it's in that good of condition,I would leave it alone and drive it. That's just me.

I don't know anything about parts availability on AMC vehicles.I'm sure someone on this forum can certainly answer that for you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matt129 said:

Hello everyone! I’m looking into buying an AMC Rambler Cross Country wagon in great condition. All original paint, all original interior, and all of it in beautiful condition. Here lies the problem… it’s black and looks like a hearse 😂. I would love to have it painted turquoise or robins egg blue or something like that, but it’s the original paint, and it’s not like it’s in bad shape either. It’s still glossy in fact. I would hate to repaint it because of how original the vehicle is, but like I said, it looks like a hearse lol. What do all of you think? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also, how is the parts availability on these? I know AMC’s can be hit or miss in that department. 

Do you have any pictures of the AMC?

Tim

Before I respond to this latest question from Matt129, I have a couple of questions for him. Many Forum members have taken the time to respond to his many questions in some previous posts but he has never posted what his final decisions were on any of them. Matt, about a year ago you wanted opinions about getting a 1950 Studebaker to use as a daily driver. Did you ever get the Studebaker, and why or why not? Two weeks ago you were thinking about trading a 1953 Studebaker Champion for a 1953 Pontiac Chieftain and you got twenty interesting responses from Forum members. So did you do the trade, and why or why not? You say any advice is greatly appreciated. How about a follow-up or two from you about the decisions you've made regarding your previous posts? Is that too much to ask before you post any more questions to be answered? I feel like everyone involved is just going around in circles here........

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8

2 hours ago, Matt129 said:

I’m looking into buying an AMC Rambler Cross Country wagon in great condition.

...it’s black and looks like a hearse.

My thoughts:  Find a different vehicle that doesn't need

to be repainted to suit your taste.  For one thing, a good

paint job is expensive, and you'll save the cost (which you

will never recoup).

A second point:  We are here to preserve history, not

remanufacture it.  That car has survived over 60 years in

apparently pristine condition.  The paint applied by the

factory is more interesting than the paint job given by

Joe's Body Shop in 2023.  As it now sits in its original

state, it documents what one family chose in the 1950's. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, The 55er said:

Before I respond to this latest question from Matt129, I have a couple of questions for him. Many Forum members have taken the time to respond to his many questions in some previous posts but he has never posted what his final decisions were on any of them. Matt, about a year ago you wanted opinions about getting a 1950 Studebaker to use as a daily driver. Did you ever get the Studebaker, and why or why not? Two weeks ago you were thinking about trading a 1953 Studebaker Champion for a 1953 Pontiac Chieftain and you got twenty interesting responses from Forum members. So did you do the trade, and why or why not? You say any advice is greatly appreciated. How about a follow-up or two from you about the decisions you've made regarding your previous posts? Is that too much to ask before you post any more questions to be answered? I feel like everyone involved is just going around in circles here........

I apologize for that, I get really busy and then I forget to respond lol. I would have gotten the 1950 studebaker a year ago but it sold before I could. When I was planning on trading the 53 for the Pontiac it turned out the Pontiac had a lot of unforeseen problems so I ended up passing on that one. And now this person has contacted me to trade for this Rambler and I have decided I want to go with the trade, it’s just too good to pass on 😂. And here are some pictures of it since some other members asked. It’s hard to believe it’s all original with the condition it’s in! Just looks a little like a hearse with that paint color but I guess I can get used to it lol. 

E9538B90-32DA-415A-BCD2-60E99318F2F0.jpeg

9F4DFE76-C0AD-46B8-A984-DA7735F05D8A.jpeg

87F007C4-9554-4E3A-BB65-BFDE95B8C501.jpeg

5A30FE52-2BA4-411B-8077-C367C7DC7F4D.jpeg

Edited by Matt129 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Matt, thank you, I appreciate the update. I might have a different opinion than most about changing the colors on a rather common vehicle. It's YOUR car, it's YOUR money, paint it whatever color you want but I would definitely paint it a color that was available on a Rambler of that year. Pick a color you like and choose something that goes with the interior. No one will know the difference and nobody really cares. You're the one that has to look at the car every day and live with it. This is a used Rambler station wagon, it's not like you're painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa. However you really should do a complete color change and paint the inner fenders, firewall, door jambs and tailgate area as well, it's definitely more work but then everything looks authentic. I've changed the colors on many of the old cars I've owned and never looked back. A few cars already had a color change before I bought them so what harm was really done? It's YOUR car, do what YOU want with it. I'm more about enjoyment of an old car than absolute authenticity but I do like to keep 'em looking as authentic as possible. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tom Boehm said:

Pass on it if you can't live with the color. Don't repaint it. 

This.^^  Black is a desirable color, and color changed cars just never look as good as the original, except maybe on rotisserie restorations. The old color shows up in little places everywhere. It also comes through every rock chip. The car will be less desirable repainted if you decide you don't want it after all.

No Rambler will ever be mistaken for a hearse. You could build a hearse on a Rambler chassis and still no one would believe it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

This.^^  Black is a desirable color, and color changed cars just never look as good as the original, except maybe on rotisserie restorations. The old color shows up in little places everywhere. It also comes through every rock chip. The car will be less desirable repainted if you decide you don't want it after all.

No Rambler will ever be mistaken for a hearse. You could build a hearse on a Rambler chassis and still no one would believe it.

I didn’t know that black was a desirable color! I mean, I’ve never seen a black one before so I guess that would make sense lol. 

I am not really into 1950s cars, however I like it the way it is. As previously said, Ramblers were not used as hearses, and most people would not think of it looking like one.

Even if it isn't nearly a hundred years old, I think it would be a shame to repaint one still that nice. However I have always been in favor of preserving decent original cars and restoring cars that really need it, regardless of age.

A good paint job costs close to the same amount regardless of how bad or good the car looks before going down that road. Body repair is a different issue. If a car looks pretty decent, a person rarely ever gets back more than a very small amount of the cost of the repaint.

Parts should not be too difficult for that car. There are some critical pieces for later AMCs that in some states make it very difficult to pass required smog checks. My son ended up junking an AMC Eagle wagon because certain parts could not be had.

Black cars can be a pain to keep clean but the original colour does look the part. Perhaps a white roof or other suitable colour will remove the funeral car look enough. Have a look on the internet for pictures, plenty to choose from. And painting just the roof would not be onerous.

A photo of this one was advertised on Hemmings.

Just my two bobs worth 
Rodney 😀😀😀😀

IMG_6260.png

• Like 2

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to To repaint or not to repaint… original AMC Rambler Cross Country wagon in great condition.

Rodney has a good idea. A complete repaint is expensive. Maybe a 2 tone with a white roof would relieve the somber look? And  set of white wall or white stripe tires? I mean the narrow white walls in fashion when the Rambler was new? The interior decor seems lively enough.

• Like 1

First... do what you want with the car. The only person you have to make happy is yourself.

WITH THAT SAID:

Leave it as-is. Costs nothing. You get to enjoy it NOW.  The original paint will be a conversation starter.  It's only original once. :)

If the trade goes through I’ll probably just leave it the original paint color, maybe paint the roof white but no more than that. At least that would help keep the car cooler in the summer since it’s not an A/C car lol. I already have a set of brand new wide whitewall Firestone tires I could put on it. I know the wide whitewalls weren’t technically in style in 1960 but I mean, I like the wider whitewalls and I already have a set, and they’re the right size to fit, so I might as well use them 😂 

8BBC2E85-DC46-4C73-898B-C9494B45FE10.jpeg

• Like 2

Keep the original paint.

Get the car wrapped whatever color(s) you desire.

It's amazing what color and texture choices are available.

A wrap costs a lot less than a paint job and you will preserve the original paint.

When you get tired of the wrap, you can change it again.

• Thanks 1

Having grown up in the era with four successful Rambler dealerships within twenty miles, the sight of black Rambler station wagons was a common experience.  This example looks like a nicely preserved car which makes it uncommon now as folks used them for daily transportation without regard to their future existence.  You can have fun with this Rambler by keeping as it is, then dressing the part of a typical Rambler driver in the early 1960's: horn rimmed glasses, narrow necktie, white shirt, etc.  You will be the hit of the car show.  BTW, whitewall tires were rarely seen on Ramblers as the owners considered them a showy, frivolous, unnecessary expense. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Matt129 said:

I apologize for that, I get really busy and then I forget to respond lol. I would have gotten the 1950 studebaker a year ago but it sold before I could. When I was planning on trading the 53 for the Pontiac it turned out the Pontiac had a lot of unforeseen problems so I ended up passing on that one. And now this person has contacted me to trade for this Rambler and I have decided I want to go with the trade, it’s just too good to pass on 😂. And here are some pictures of it since some other members asked. It’s hard to believe it’s all original with the condition it’s in! Just looks a little like a hearse with that paint color but I guess I can get used to it lol. 

E9538B90-32DA-415A-BCD2-60E99318F2F0.jpeg

9F4DFE76-C0AD-46B8-A984-DA7735F05D8A.jpeg

87F007C4-9554-4E3A-BB65-BFDE95B8C501.jpeg

5A30FE52-2BA4-411B-8077-C367C7DC7F4D.jpeg

I've driven a hearse and this doesn't look like a hearse to me.

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Having grown up in the era with four successful Rambler dealerships within twenty miles, the sight of black Rambler station wagons was a common experience.  This example looks like a nicely preserved car which makes it uncommon now as folks used them for daily transportation without regard to their future existence.  You can have fun with this Rambler by keeping as it is, then dressing the part of a typical Rambler driver in the early 1960's: horn rimmed glasses, narrow necktie, white shirt, etc.  You will be the hit of the car show.  BTW, whitewall tires were rarely seen on Ramblers as the owners considered them a showy, frivolous, unnecessary expense. 

Well, I already payed $1600 for the tires and I’ve got nothing else to put them on so I might as well. They may not have been common on the ramblers but I love wide whitewalls on everything 😂 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 95Cardinal said:

Keep the original paint.

Get the car wrapped whatever color(s) you desire.

It's amazing what color and texture choices are available.

A wrap costs a lot less than a paint job and you will preserve the original paint.

When you get tired of the wrap, you can change it again.

Hey I like that idea! I had completely forgotten about wraps. I’ll probably just get the roof wrapped white and leave the rest as it is. 

• Like 1

If it were me, I’d change the tires and go from there.  I like the idea of wrapping the roof, since it will keep it cooler inside, make it more interesting, and preserve the original paint.  I’d go 50/50 that when you see it not on black walls, you might decide that’s enough though.

The whitewalls will really make this pop; keep your eyes peeled for any interesting chrome accessories you can add. I wonder if rocker moldings were ever offered? Maybe some red striping, if done right. I also like the idea of the 2-tone, though I'd wait and see. I've thought seriously of having it done on a couple cars of mine. Oh...and maybe a hood ornament?