Sad notice of the loss of a regular poster SC38dls

edinmass

I never met Dave but always enjoyed his posts.  He was always a true gentleman with his comments, never complaining, never blaming .  Rest in peace and condolences to his family.   Raise a glass to Dave!

Woodford Reserve Kentucky Bourbon 750ml

• Like 2

On 4/2/2023 at 7:06 PM, Walt G said:

Last name was Sanderson

Thank you for the information.  I don't believe he belonged to either the Studebaker Drivers Club, or the Antique Studebaker Club.  I did appreciate his saga of rebuilding his car, and his excellent insight on the automotive publishing industry.

**Edit: I don't see a listing in either roster under 'Sweeny' either.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

Like many of us here, I never had the privilege of meeting him but I certainly hoped to.  And I enjoyed his good-humored and optimistic approach to both his car issues and his medical issues.  He obviously enjoyed the banter as much as the exchange of information.  He gave all of us a lot, and I think we helped him as well.  In the Final Quarter of our lives, especially, that's what it's all about....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

In his honor, here's a little bit of automotive autobiography.  

On March 18 he wrote in the "Not MIne" cars-for-sale section,

discussing a 1957 DeSoto that was for sale:

"My first car was a '57 DeSoto Firesweep I bought at Grand Spaulding Dodge on Grand Ave west side of Chicago. It had the small hemi in it and the headlights were about ready to fall out from rust! The front bumper was shiny and looked like the car was smiling. $200 that was car, license, tax and five new tires. Great running rust bucket I painted black with brushes and porch & deck enamel to cover the bondo which covered the steel wool we shoved in the holes to help hold it in place."

As his life goes on, I'm sure he's still remembering that

first DeSoto, as well as all his friends here.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

David Sweeney, 38 Studebaker from South Carolina. What terrible news.  A great guy, who always was reasonable and fair in his posts.  I appreciate all the support he gave us at the club based upon his business background.  Great sense of humor and a huge loss.  Ed, my condolences to you as I know you guys were good friends.  This is not how I wanted to start my day...feels like we lost a family member.  Just horrid...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Dave was a special guy........he kept sending me bottles of Crown when I helped him with his car.........never said anything, they just showed up. His last bottle is now on the top shelf where it will remain, unopened in a place of honor. Maybe we will crack it open in his honor for the next time we get a Best of Show..........if it ever occurs. I sure will miss my friend. Ed

• Like 17

I never got to meet Dave, we were planning on meeting up with each other at Hershey this year...

Here is just a few emails I had with him - RIP Dave

Hi Steve My father in law sold trucks for Supthen for about 20 years in the 70’s and 80’s but in the Midwest. They made him retire because he sold two year’s worth of production and they couldn’t keep up with cost.  He made models of different size buildings to represent schools, hospitals, apartments etc then would go into a town and measure the distance of where a snorkel type truck and their truck would have to park. He had exact models of those trucks

( yes they are still around my brothers in law were both firemen) and would actually demonstrate why a city can’t buy a snorkel but could buy his extending Ariel tower truck. He knew the distances better than the chiefs in most cities. His family started the fire department in Oak Park Illinois 

his grandfather, his father and he himself along with his two sons all were in the fire department, chiefs, captains, Lt’s. My grandfather w as a chief in Chicago back in the horse drawn days. He died when my k Mk on was 6 or 7. 
There is a restaurant on south Michigan Ave in Chicago called The Firehouse (it was his firehouse) they have pictures of him and his rigs. You can still see the hay drops in the ceiling and where some of the stalls were. Fire fighting is in the blood. My first date with my wife we chased a fire, things got hot after that. 52 years and we still follow the trucks. 
Have fun, enjoy your marriage, it looks like you definitely married up in life. 
dave s 

You are a lucky man for having a partner that is strong enough and tough enough to beat the big C. Besides she’s a good looking lady. 
I met my wife after getting out of the army Dec 69.  I was in a bar with a good friend that also got out a month before me. These three girls walked in with long hair, longer legs and a short skirt. I was in love. There was one empty stool next to me, so I pushed my buddy off his and offered the girls a stool and a drink. Best line I ever had! It worked been married 52 years and have a daughter teaching at UVA. 
Yes I’m the crazy guy people were talking about driving my 38 Studebaker from Aiken SC to Hershey. It’s a driver not a show car. I drive it all the time, usually with my pup in the back seat. I use to have 2 golden doodles but unfortunately both are gone. They were sisters that made it 15 years. Now I’ve got a 10 year old poodle rescue named Lou. He’s a great pup. Back to Hershey, it was about a 650 mile drive and a lot of fun. People giving the thumbs up or honking and waving. I took US1 then some interstates to Rt 29 then Rt 31. Mostly 4 lane so I didn’t slow anyone down too much. It ran well, got about 14 miles to the gallon, burned a 1/2 quart of oil per tank. I think more leaked than burned as the oil pan gasket needs replacing as soon as we get a few days in the 60’s. Oil is not that expensive so until I fix it I’ll check it more often. Enjoy the cars and fire trucks, if you go to Hershey I hope to be back in the 38 drivers class. A bunch of us on the forum met for the first time and had some laughs and lunch together. Look me up or let me know if you have I car in the show or a booth and I’ll find you. 
dave s 

• Like 2

A terrible, sad loss of a good man.  I enjoyed his post which revealed his wit and optimism.  His sharing his journey from unfortunate accident through repair of his cherished 1938 Studebaker the old-fashioned way with dolly, hammer, pick and file as was done years ago was truly special.

Fortuitously, he undertook driving his Studebaker to Hershey last fall to participate in the DPC Class.  It was there that I happened to meet him and have a brief conversation, commending him on his work and expressed my appreciation for his sharing with us.  Truly, a good man for all seasons and a loss for humanity now, but richer for his life having been lived.  My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

• Like 1

My favorite thing with Dave was his political leanings.......we were total opposite. But we had true fun with it, joking hard and to the quick.......but always laughing so hard we couldn't keep our drinks down. I met him because of this site........think about that for a few minutes. I'm guessing about 30 percent of my close car friends were all contacts made right here.............amazing how digital media has changed our lives, and in this instance......for the better.

• Like 13

I also never met Dave, but I knew immediately who he was when I saw his handle and enjoyed his thread on repairing the front end of his beloved Studebaker.  Make your plans for the rest of this year now and try to follow through with them all in honor of our friend Dave…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

Dave was a special guy........he kept sending me bottles of Crown when I helped him with his car.........never said anything, they just showed up. His last bottle is now on the top shelf where it will remain, unopened in a place of honor. Maybe we will crack it open in his honor for the next time we get a Best of Show..........if it ever occurs. I sure will miss my friend. Ed

Save it until Hershey Ed.  Have one in his honor.  I'd be glad to share in that along with any other forum guys who are there.  In his honor!

Terry

• Like 3

Such sad news...I made a point of going and seeing Dave at Hershey this past year, wanted to see his car and talk to him about what a great thread he had and how great his car looked after all he went thru. We talked for about 20min, and I will add that he had a lot of great things to say about you Ed and he was so appreciative of your help and the friendship the 2 of you had developed.

Jeff 

• Like 2

We fellas…….it comes in threes. And so it is this time. My beloved puppy is not well, and it looks like she has liver cancer. Same as my dog I lost a year ago………to say it’s been a total shit show here is an understatement. We will know a definitive answer tomorrow. I’m too down to think about it anymore. I’ll be on the sidelines for a spell. Ed.

B5DF5747-95E1-445A-9F97-E1F7153245A4.jpeg

I just saw this post.  I had seen Dave's posts on the Forum.  Last year he posted that he was going to Hershey but taking back roads and was wondering about getting to Hershey.  I sent him a suggestion, we corresponded, and said we would meet at Hershey.  Unfortunately, I did not get on the field until the show Friday due to personal problems.  Well, it turned out that he was parked almost across from me in DPC.  Also, TA Kerry was also parked up and a little ways from me so I also got to make his acquaintance.  We spent quite an amount of time together getting to know each other.  It did not hurt that I had a bunch of cold cuts that I had to get rid of so free food all around.  He was a very interesting Chicago area guy (I'm originally a Hoosier) who had lived in KY also as his daughters(s) liked horses.

We talked about the upcoming Hershey, and he was going to stay with us.  Unfortunately, it will not happen.  Rest in peace.

• Like 2

@Steve Moskowitz thank you for the link to his obituary.

Perhaps in a few days when this thread has run its course, perhaps you or one of the other admins might consider printing this thread and sending it to Dave's family with a comment about how much he was respected and appreciated within the Forums.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Grimy said:

@Steve Moskowitz thank you for the link to his obituary.

Perhaps in a few days when this thread has run its course, perhaps you or one of the other admins might consider printing this thread and sending it to Dave's family with a comment about how much he was respected and appreciated within the Forums.

I was thinking that already. 

• Like 2

On 4/3/2023 at 6:00 PM, edinmass said:

We fellas…….it comes in threes. And so it is this time. My beloved puppy is not well, and it looks like she has liver cancer. Same as my dog I lost a year ago………to say it’s been a total shit show here is an understatement. We will know a definitive answer tomorrow. I’m too down to think about it anymore. I’ll be on the sidelines for a spell. Ed.

B5DF5747-95E1-445A-9F97-E1F7153245A4.jpeg

So sorry to hear Ed. 😥 Pets become family.  The old Dog we have here is 14 and has almost run his course also.

• Like 1

Dave’s family contacted me today, thanking all of us for the print out that Steve M sent. Like Dave, all his family seem to be special people also……..they were very moved by all the comments. RIp friend………we will miss you.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 7