Old tools almost nobody (else) uses anymore

Crusty Trucker

Here's a thought provoking article...

Many, if not most, car owners in the '50, 60's and 70's did at least some maintenance on their cars. We all needed tools to do the job and keep everything running smoothly. 

Most people these days do no automotive maintenance, hence have no need for the tools to do so. In fact, I'd venture to say most drivers today, other than those interested in the mechanics and maintenance of older vehicles, could even recognize most tools from the period.

This article highlights nine tools; but I can think of many, many more that I have in my tool cabinet that many current ASE Certified mechanics might have trouble recognizing, much less using.

How many more can you think of?

Here's a couple to start off with:

Brake adjusting "spoon"

Timing light

Others...?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/9-old-tools-almost-nobody-uses-anymore/ar-AA17Roeu?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnbfcL

40 minutes ago, nickelroadster said:

People don't use and you can't buy ignition wrenches anymore.

Actually I saw a set in a Burlington NC Northern Tool store not long ago.

Most people born in last 40 years would have no idea what to do with them. I haven't used mine for their intended purpose in years meself. But they come in handy for other things.😊

• Like 3

and i havnt used my big glass battery fluid tester with the rubber bulb....in years.......if i tell people im going to test my battery fluid......they start laughing and think im trying to tell them a joke ......like the my foo foo valve needs changing or im low on blinker fluid etc

• Like 2

sure dont need to use the common "window crank handle C-Clip removal tool anymore'........or the 'windshield chrome trim clip release tool '......or the 'hubcap prybar with the rubber hammer head on it ' tool.........and the steel wheel 'weight hammer'......with stick em on aluminum wheels.........no need for the special glue tool for the 'windshield rear view mirror metal holder' that fell off every windshield in time........no need for 'carb tools'...vacume choke pull off tester tool '.........and the almost never used now 'stereo release tab tool' to put a aftermarket stereo in........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can’t see a picture of a Sun machine without remembering the hours and hours I spent working on machines to print and bind the manuals for them Our company did a significant business with them in the 70’s and 80’s and I often had to drive a truck to Crystal Lake, Il. To deliver them. By the thousands.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

........no need for 'carb tools'...

For the youngsters that think carburetor is a new diet; you are correct; but we sell LOTS of them to car enthusiasts. Don't know if they are using them, showing them with their car, have a display in their garage or what; but they do sell!

Jon

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

yes so true.......i have a lot of carbs and kits mostly for old rochester 60s-70s.... 2 and 4 bbl........and i could keep busy just doing carbs for guys if i chose i am thinking........amazing how so few know how to do simple kit or what the problems are .....i also do some snowmobile carbs ........i got a near brand new pressure washer from the dump as the guy said it wouldnt start.........was just dirty carb gummed up old gas never used 

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)

Wow, I must be behind the times......I'm still using most of the tools mentioned right down to the float gauges, point file & push-in oil can spout. I even have an old Coca-Cola bottlecap opener mounted to a post on my workbench but I'll admit I haven't used that thing lately. 

• Like 3

On 2/23/2023 at 11:59 PM, arcticbuicks said:

sure dont need to use the common "window crank handle C-Clip removal tool anymore'........or the 'windshield chrome trim clip release tool '......or the 'hubcap prybar with the rubber hammer head on it ' tool.........and the steel wheel 'weight hammer'......with stick em on aluminum wheels.........no need for the special glue tool for the 'windshield rear view mirror metal holder' that fell off every windshield in time........no need for 'carb tools'...vacume choke pull off tester tool '.........and the almost never used now 'stereo release tab tool' to put a aftermarket stereo in........

Not sure what you work on, but I use most of these at least once a year. Most at least once a month. Of course I keep the choke pull off tool on me all the time. Push in plunger, put finger (the tool I keep with me all the time) over port, release plunger, does it stay still? I know, there are some metered leak types, just not on the cars I work on. ;)

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Harold said:

Battery terminal pliers.  

Got those and a top post terminal puller. 

The puller I'd had since auto tech school in the 70s fell apart about a year ago. Had to order a new one thru NAPA.

My auto tech instructor made his first year students get one off the Cornwell Tools truck. It really bothered Mr Comer to watch his students use screwdrivers, channel locks, hammers etc to remove a battery terminal. His word was "unprofessional". 😊

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Got those and a top post terminal puller. 

The puller I'd had since auto tech school in the 70s fell apart about a year ago. Had to order a new one thru NAPA.

My auto tech instructor made his first year students get one off the Cornwell Tools truck. It really bothered Mr Comer to watch his students use screwdrivers, channel locks, hammers etc to remove a battery terminal. His word was "unprofessional". 😊

That reminds me of the time I was in an A.&P.school in the 70s when the teacher removed the red vinyl cover off of a new valve grinder machine only to find no valve grinder,just books! The school was(and still is) by the Joliet State Penn. maybe Jake and Elwood took it?

• Haha 2

Tools for applying hot patches to tires and tubes. Used to be every swap meet I attended would have a number for sale, but lately they don't seem to be as common. I expect they are very slow sellers. Practically an every week use item for 1920's motoring.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Harold said:

Battery terminal pliers.  

Why? Cars still have battery terminals. Of course I just use Channelocks....😁