AACA Forum Statistics - Feb 2023

Peter Gariepy

STATS - ALL TIME

• 50,000 Users (40,000 5 year inactive users removed in 2021)
  • 360,000 topics
  • 2,400,000 posts
  • 28,000 images
  • 165,000 personal conversations
  • 700,000 reactions given

TRAFFIC - 2022

• 1,540,000 users
  • 6,500 users per day average
  • 2,964,000 sessions
  • 13,749,000 page views

TOP 20 FORUMS - Pageviews

1. General Discussion    1083780
  2. Not Mine Automobiles For Sale    509467
  3. What Is It    281364
  4. Automobiles And Parts Buysell    279115
  5. Technical    227213
  6. Our Cars Restoration Projects    180997
  7. Buick Riviera    152966
  8. Buick Pre War    136557
  9. Parts For Sale    101687
  10. Buick Buysell    99140
  11. Buick Post War    72610
  12. Buick    66698
  13. Dodge Brothers    66091
  14. Antique Automobile Discussion    57859
  15. Period Photos Pre WW2   54268
  16. Me And My Buick    46094
  17. Studebaker Erskine Rockne    44068
  18. Buick General    42946
  19. Parts Wanted    39475
  20. Chrysler Automobiles And Parts Buysell    39387

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6

5 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

STATS - ALL TIME

• 50,000 Users (40,000 5 year inactive users removed in 2021)
  • 360,000 topics
  • 2,400,000 posts
  • 28,000 images
  • 165,000 personal conversations
  • 700,000 reactions given

TRAFFIC - 2022

• 1,540,000 users
  • 6,500 users per day average
  • 2,964,000 sessions
  • 13,749,000 page views

TOP 20 FORUMS - Pageviews

1. General Discussion    1083780
  2. Not Mine Automobiles For Sale    509467
  3. What Is It    281364
  4. Automobiles And Parts Buysell    279115
  5. Technical    227213
  6. Our Cars Restoration Projects    180997
  7. Buick Riviera    152966
  8. Buick Pre War    136557
  9. Parts For Sale    101687
  10. Buick Buysell    99140
  11. Buick Post War    72610
  12. Buick    66698
  13. Dodge Brothers    66091
  14. Antique Automobile Discussion    57859
  15. Period Photos Pre WW2   54268
  16. Me And My Buick    46094
  17. Studebaker Erskine Rockne    44068
  18. Buick General    42946
  19. Parts Wanted    39475
  20. Chrysler Automobiles And Parts Buysell    39387

Interesting stuff Peter, I'm a guy that likes numbers.  Thanks for sharing.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 63RedBrier said:

Clearly it’s time to buy a Buick!  Just look at all the support one would benefit from…

Jump in, the water is fine. Lots of good Buick guys who are happy to help out. Several here have been fantastic in helping out Phil and I on the 34 56C. Couldn’t have done it without them. 👍

• Like 6

Best forum I’ve ever found for its moderators and members. The people on this forum are always willing to help. My car would have been junked if not for the support I received from members. Thank you all. The numbers show how much everyone contributes to making it this good. 
dave s 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, 63RedBrier said:

Clearly it’s time to buy a Buick!  Just look at all the support one would benefit from…

Way ahead of you, by 50+ years! 😁

When better automobiles are built, Buick will build them.

Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?

The Spirit of American Style.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, edinmass said:

Jump in, the water is fine. Lots of good Buick guys who are happy to help out. Several here have been fantastic in helping out Phil and I on the 34 56C. Couldn’t have done it without them. 👍

The Buick community has to be up there with the best, parts are reasonably priced and people are willing to help - the forum reflects that

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Unless something has changed, that might be because the BCA utilizes the Buick Forums here as their official club discussion forums.

Unlike another national club that was given the same opportunity but has never taken advantage of the offer. They've set up their own forums on their website, but traffic there is weaker than their section here. I finally gave up trying to promote use of the AACA Forums in that club.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

BCA utilizes the Buick Forums here as their official club discussion forums.

The BCA is all in on the AACA forums and has been since 1999 (literally) so they get a disproportionately larger amount of traffic. Their usage is not a reflection of the overall brand, but simply its prominence here.

• Like 4

OK, what did all of us do with our time before the forums?  🙃

A lot of the period information, images from sales material, and period photographs just sat in albums, file folders, and in envelopes

until then.  Then a few decided to share some of it so we have history to look at of our favorite subjects. With the Pandemic, and lack of activities , the thought of looking at old

"pit chaz" was thought to perhaps sooth some of the stress we were all experiencing. Well, the Pandemic is gone but the photographs and images linger on.

Thanks AACA .  The audience here is world wide , what a wonderful thing that is.

Walt

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, CarNucopia said:

Interesting information. I'm a bit of a data nerd at times, so apologies in advance. The pageview numbers don't add up. The top 20 are only 26% of all pageviews and there aren't enough other forums to make up the remaining 74%. Is there a 0 missing from the #1 forum total?

I removed some of the junk pages like login, password reset, and the home page, so the numbers may be skewed. The forum numbers are correct thought.

Want more detail?  Here is 117 pages worth from 2022. Curious what nuggets of fun you find in the data. :)  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qtx5u43KS4YD9MwIghDcPXhiGjXj21Lw/view?usp=sharing

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, CarNucopia said:

Interesting information. I'm a bit of a data nerd at times, so apologies in advance. The pageview numbers don't add up. The top 20 are only 26% of all pageviews and there aren't enough other forums to make up the remaining 74%. Is there a 0 missing from the #1 forum total?

I do see one big flaw. Topics with multiple pages. I'll have to figure that out. Or maybe you can? :)

1 hour ago, Peter Gariepy said:

I removed some of the junk pages like login, password reset, and the home page, so the numbers may be skewed. The forum numbers are correct thought.

Want more detail?  Here is 117 pages worth from 2022. Curious what nuggets of fun you find in the data. :)  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qtx5u43KS4YD9MwIghDcPXhiGjXj21Lw/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for the link. Even more interesting.

I think the issue, if I understand the report correctly, is that if someone goes to a topic without first going to the main forum, they are not counted in the forum total. For example, the Mark Smith thread was the highest rated topic at 7,184. To get the absolute total for people looking in the General forum, you would have to add that and all the other topics views in General to the forum total.

I mostly use an activity stream, so a handful of my views would be included in the Forum totals.

Here's something I think is interesting. The thread below was started and last posted to in 2012. Yet, it was the 123rd most visited page. Of the 3,425 views, 3,221 entered the forum on that page. Also, of the people viewing that page, 93% exited the forum from that page as well. This implies that a fair number of people came here only to read that thread. Their likely not forum members, so who are they are where did they come from?

And yes, I did work in marketing research for a spell. ☺️

Now, back down the rabbit hole.....

Edited by CarNucopia (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, CarNucopia said:

Looking at the bounce rate for some topics and the site as a whole, it appears a lot of people use the site for answers, but don’t get involved with the AACA. Are there reports that dig deeper into these visitors behavior?

Are you familiar with Google Analytics?

9 hours ago, CarNucopia said:

Looking at the bounce rate for some topics and the site as a whole, it appears a lot of people use the site for answers, but don’t get involved with the AACA. Are there reports that dig deeper into these visitors behavior?

Although I am on the forum and visit it daily, I can see how this happens where the AACA site is hit by outside people who are searching for an answer to something.  I remember searching for "The differences between a Beverly and Westchester Cord".  Because there was a thread on the forum years ago with those words in the title, Google search captured that near the top of their listings and I went to the site from the google results.  I wonder how much traffic is non members (and members) who are directed to the site and a thread as an answer to their search topic...  

Edited by John Bloom (see edit history)

Another site I am on carries a LOT of dead wood, people that maybe have only posted once, if even that, and never come back. Some of them have been on for YEARS and YEARS! While it makes the numbers look good, seems to me it would clear up a lot of space on the servers if they were removed. 

Thanks for the work you do on this site. 

On 2/15/2023 at 4:09 PM, Peter Gariepy said:

STATS - ALL TIME

• (40,000 5 year inactive users removed in 2021)

How many  annual/monthly/weekly/daily expulsions/bans due to site rule infractions, like political comments, etc ?

On 2/17/2023 at 12:38 AM, Jim Skelly said:

It's amazing that 7 of 20 categories are Buick related.  

Adding up those top 20 numbers

Total 3581782

Buick 718698 (20%)

For the "40,000 5 year inactive users removed in 2021)"  did that save much space or complexity?

1 hour ago, TTR said:

How many  annual/monthly/weekly/daily expulsions/bans due to site rule infractions, like political comments, etc ?

Easy answer is one too many.  We do not like spammers, we do not like personal attacks, political rants and the like.  We have rules and sadly the moderators have to spend time dealing with some folks who think the rules do not apply to them.  Fortunately, it is not that many given the number of users here.  Mostly law-abiding citizens and people enjoying the site.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1