Friends? with needed tools who offer after the fact.

Flivverking

Countless times I have needed specialty,use one time tools ,and expressed the need,to so called antique car friends in conversation in the moment.

They don't have it or respond with a vacant look.

You finally struggle to get the job done,one way or another,and months or years later in car discussion ,with those same people ,they say,

'"oh,If I knew you needed to do that,I have that tool or tools,you should have called me".

Gurrrrr! 

I put them on the bottom of the help  list,and on top of the grudge list.

Then there is the ones who don't recall you loaned them special tools,never returned!

You go looking and they have no recollection.

Only to find out later,the big shot gave them to someone else,who you know. They don't offer them back either.

Hum?.

I have been waiting for the return of my custom tow bar for 40 years..

A Connecticut,cheapskate crooked  lawyer (who had a 29 Essex coupe at the time) in Cheshire Ct,who bought a 1941 Plymouth station wagon from me for a song .He is the thief.

You borrow a tool and keep it,your a thief and a creep!

No question...

Edited by Flivverking (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I try to never borrow anything. IF I need a special tool and it can be bought I will purchase it. Mostly how I have filled my tool box. I had a 'friend' (turned out not to be such a good guy after all, in fact he was a real %%$^%) that was constantly borrowing things. He would always say if I ever needed anything he had just ask. The one thing I dont own and wanted to borrow from him was a log splitter. The day I asked it was 'at his dads place in another state'. The second time I asked another excuse. I stopped asking at that point and rented one. The same guy borrowed my 16' flat deck trailer for the weekend. 3 years later after repeatidly asking for him to return it I had to go to his house and get it myself. I was the SOB because I backed across his yard to hook it up!! He blew up and ended a 10 year friendship because HE would not return MY trailer.

I had a rotisserie that was collecting rust behind my barn. I let another fellow take it while he was restoring his trans am. I had all intentions of letting the fellow keep it, figuring it was at least being used. About a year later he showed up at my door with it in tow. I really had not expected nor did I really want it returned. He even put a new hydraulic cylinder on one end.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Loaning tools has caused many friendships to strain and end over the years. Special tools make many jobs a breeze. When loaning a tool, you have to be very careful, or you may never see it again. When borrowing a tool, you have to be even more careful, or you may never borrow it or anything else ever again. I have borrowed tools over the years. Many times, after using a great tool I will hunt one down for myself. Loaning a tool is a leap of faith. It may get broken, or you may never see it again. Borrowing a tool also carries great responsibility. You have to take care of the tool. A borrowed tool should always be well taken care of. It should be used with respect. It should also be returned in a timely manner and clean. Even if it was dirty when loaned. It should be accompanied by a thank you. Depending on how much time and effort it saved lunch, a six pack or a little cash should also be included. People like to help their friends and other hobbyists. But people like being appreciated even more. 

• Like 7

I will add, IF I loan something I do so with the idea that I will never see it again. IF it does come back then thats a bonus. I dont loan much out!

I have borrowed a buddys skid loader, when I return it is typically in better condition than when I pick it up. Last time I had it he said it was starting hard and needed a jump. What it really needed was a new battery which I bought for it. Cheap price to pay.

• Like 5

I have a tool someone let me use. A degree wheel for camshafts. I never saw him again. That was 28 years ago. Still have it. His name is Mark, had a Hudson he was working on. Lived around Lake Stevens in Washington St. happy to return it, never wanted it in the first place. And to Bill in Idaho, you could have returned the transmission jack you borrowed for your Mustang. But with all the memory loss going on in Star. I can see how one could forget. That wraps up my borrowed tool conversation.🧐

• Haha 1

My neighbor and I loaned tool to one another for decades.  Occasionally one or the other would sheepishly return this or that item that became buried in a tool box but usually it was returned upon completion of the job.  He has quit working on cars due to age and health and I have slowed way down so this doesn’t matter so much any more. I never worried about getting something back from him.  

• Like 3

Years ago, I had a volleyball court in my back yard.

A bunch of guys came over on Wednesdays after work and we had a blast.

I had a small shed out there too and I loaned one of the guys my post hole digger but forgot who.

Every Wednesday I would mention to the bunch that it would be nice to have my post hole digger back and no one ever copped to having it.

I made the "would be nice to have it back" comment for several years.

Lo and behold, many years later it was back in my shed.

So, I thanked the group for the return and still nobody copped to it.

Still don't know who borrowed it.

• Haha 1

There is a guy in my neighborhood that is quite the scrounger.

There is always something odd showing up in his yard. The kind of guy that most neighbors complain about.

He is a handyman and keeps his eyes open. (I think he must specialize in widows).

Well, one day I spotted a nice-looking transmission jack sitting out in the rain over there and asked if I could borrow it.

Sure, no problem he says, of coarse I had to add fluid and clean some rust off of the ram but I got it working well. (to his surprise).

So, he offers to let me keep it at my place because I can keep it out of the weather.

That jack now belongs to the whole neighborhood and when one of us needs it they come to my house to get it.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

I am very judicious in loaning tools and the same for borrowing.  The number of persons that I will loan a tool to can be counted on one hand and the same goes for borrowing.  Interesting, the same persons on each list.  Also, I do not loan money, period.

A couple of items that I will never loan is a paint sprayer and a chain saw.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 4

A friend of mine borrowed a Ford 8N tractor with a roto tiller attachment from his neighbor. For a project on his property. He has a large grassy area that gently slopes down to a pond. At lunch time he parked the tractor and drove home to eat. When he returned to the job the tractor was gone. The Sheriff was called, and the tractor was reported stolen. Several days later a fuel slick was visible on the pond. Yep, you guessed it. The tractor that seemed to be on flat ground decided to roll down the hill and sink to the bottom of the pond. It was fished out and repaired. Yes, the two men are still friends. Although one gets a little cranky when you bring up the time that those pesky kids stole the tractor. His kids also always ask him if he set the parking brake no matter what he is operating. 

Edited by Brass is Best (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't get asked to lend tools nor do I borrow as a lot of my working on mechanical things days are now past. BUT I do get asked for information, period images and photographs all of the time . I try to comply but although most who ask are very specific I do get the "tell me everything you know and I want copies of it all the photos etc" Most don't realize that it takes time to locate images/photographs, scan, resize, crop and then save to send not just a " push a button mentality or task " - instant history at your command. A well known author - now deceased, desperately wanted a photo of a steam car I had , was a good guy - or so I thought. I did let him have a copy of it. When I next saw it it was in a story credited to his collection no mention of me as a source.  I wasn't looking for any payment, just an acknowledgement of where he found it ( something he had never seen before) - I had no further communication with him after that. Have had the same with some car clubs - they know where you are when they need something , but you get banished if you don't meet their standards of health and wealth . Now I just walk away and ignore that type of mentality.

But the saving grace and to me personally has been some very positive receptions and appreciation to the stuff i have contributed or started here on the forums - proves that there are still some kindred souls out there who have good manners . Sorry if this is a bit off topic.

Walt

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I have a home-made trailer that was given to me many years ago. It was built to haul a Model A so it isn't particularly robust. Nevertheless, we've used it multiple times for short hauls...but, since it's only used at most about once a year I let the registration lapse. My cousin's have borrowed it...and registered it in their name (they also replaced the axle and wheels with much better ones) and, at the moment my brother-in-law has it, registered in his name. Our agreement is that it's the neighborhood trailer...any of us can use it and it resides with the person who has a place to put it.

I also have had similar experiences to Walt with historical material. I once had a panic call from an author who needed a color picture of a Civil War soldier with a Spencer carbine. Of course, color photography wasn't invented in the 1860s but there is such a thing that is part of a set of tinted photographs taken at the end of the war by the Ordnance Department. I just happen to have a set of slides so I spent several hours finding it, scanning it and sending it. The author never thanked me and later said he couldn't use it because his editor said color photography wasn't invented! The editor was an idiot and the author a churl. That was the last time I made any effort to help him.

• Like 2

I once loaned a large pipe tap to a Forum member who is originally from Louisiana , worked for a restoration shop in Virginia has a Model 20 Hupmobile and a Model 16 Buick. Does great top and upholstery work, once owned a Davis three wheeler. I don't care to mention his name, but the pipe tap was returned good as new within a week of using it. I've lost books I once loaned to former friends. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I rarely borrow equipment or tools, etc from anyone, but if it becomes necessary, I was taught to ask myself "Can I afford to buy/replace that item instantly, should it break, get damaged or lost while in my possession ?"

If the answer is "NO, it means I shouldn't be borrowing it in the first place !" (Hence I've always preferred to buy/fabricate/modify any and all equipment or tools I need to accomplish a job/task).

Whenever (also rarely) someone I don't know that well asks to loan equipment or tools from me, I might ask them to ask that same question from themselves.

Obviously this ^ doesn't apply to true friends, whom all very well know they can borrow/have anything or get all the assistance/help they need, at any time, day or night.

OTOH, I have a good friend from whom I've borrowed some specialty equipment or tools over the years/decades and every time he "insists" on taking a picture of me and the item at the time I'm taking it.

I don't take it personally since he told me long ago that he does that with everyone due to some borrowers having had tendencies to "forget to return" the item(s).

And whenever he borrows something from me, he tends to get slightly annoyed when I don't want to take his picture with the item, but instead I tell him "I trust you". 😉

My grandfather taught me at a very early age three things you never loan (or borrow), money, tools and anything with a motor.  I have lived by this to this day, my wife says I'm selfish because of this.

I still have all my tools and friends.

Tim 

• Like 1

Folks ask me to borrow things from time to time. I come with it, help out with the job. The tool comes back and everyone is happy. Somethings that cost money to run and maintain like a backhoe, you know, it burns fuel, needs oil and maintainence. I get paid for it or it stays in the yard. 

• Like 5

I only lend tools that you need a large trunk or pickup to take away from my house. Things like a motor lift or things I store up in the garage attic I use my lift too store but tell the borrower he has to use the stairs to get down while I supervise riding up and down on the lift. No takers yet so it works well. I will lend them my hands as long as the rest of me goes along. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Also, I do not loan money, period.

I have to admit that I have a couple of times loaned a few bucks to people that I don't want to ever see again.

If I am approached by someone I like, then I tell them that I would rather keep them as a friend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

I have to admit that I have a couple of times loaned a few bucks to people that I don't want to ever see again.

If I am approached by someone I like, then I tell them that I would rather keep them as a friend.

Often times it is worth a few dollars to never have to see someone again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I loaned a Snap on specialty sensor socket to a friend and waited  6 weeks to get it back. Dropped in a few times and not there. Phoned a few times him promising to return. Finally got it back after dropping in on a Sunday morning. Loaned a torque wrench out that came back on time but rusty. Loaned a trailer out and came back with a flat tire and the second time with the jack on the front bent.

When I am asked to change a tire and I say you know where the machine is. It is a good Snap On rim clamp but if the rim gets marked I did not do it. 

So know I get very very few people asking for tools now. But then again very few people are now working on their own cars seeing how old we are. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

When I was very young (15-ish?) my father told me:

Never loan out your toothbrush, your wife, or your tools.

At the time I thought it was very funny-

Amazing, how much smarter the old man became as I aged !

My Tow-Bar was loaned out and I had to go get it myself 4 years later when the "friend" moved away and left it in the trash.

My engine hoist was loaned out to a friend to pull his '40 Chevy engine - years later, after he moved to another house I retrieved it with its then-rusted hydraulic ram.

I loaned my open car-hauler trailer only to have it returned with a bent fender (heavy gauge flat steel), broken heavy duty safety chain, 2 out of 4 sliced tires, bent tongue jack, and the license plate missing -

and the borrower claimed to have no idea how any of that happened (It must have been that way when you loaned it to me).

Now I take Dad's advice for the most part, but twice I borrowed a Suburban from a friend, the gent mentioned above by 1937hd45, once to haul a show car from Winchester to Bristol, VA and back, and previously to haul my trailer home from Hershey. Hopefully it was in at least as good condition when returned - (washed and an oil change).

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

On 11/19/2022 at 11:03 AM, Larry Schramm said:

A couple of items that I will never loan is a paint sprayer and a chain saw.

I have loaned out my airless sprayer a few times and it has come back just fine.

One thing that I never did see again was a very nice framing nailer.

I can't remember whom I loaned it to so I can't even ask them for it.

That was about 12 years ago.

One of my sisters has a Chevy pickup that I borrow a few times a year for dump runs or picking up large things from Home Depot or whatnot.

Because of this, I maintain her truck like it was my own, which is pretty easy since they don't drive the truck much.

Regular fluid changes, shocks, TPMS sensors, whatever it needs.  My brother in law tries to give me money for taking care of it but I always refuse.

That truck has saved my butt many times.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)
  • Like 2