Hershey thoughts

lhend50

I don't get much opportunity to walk the rows, which is frustrating but Hershey is a business thing for me so I accept it. However, I was wondering how people felt about the day shift for the event? Personally and from what I saw, I think it was only a good thing. The rain earlier in the week made it tough to compare apples-to-apples with previous years, but the crowds in the car corral were VERY strong Wednesday, Thursday AND Friday, which hasn't been the case in the past (meaning Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, with Friday afternoon and Saturday being a relative ghost town). I saw a lot more vendors open on Friday during the car show rather than everyone packing up Thursday and getting out of town as in previous years when they would have left the day before show day. Essentially, I think vendors stuck around longer simply because it wasn't cutting into their weekend. 

On the downside, I think we probably had fewer people on Tuesday, but with the weather it didn't matter. For example, the guy in the space next to me in the car corral had no idea the days had shifted and didn't show up until Wednesday. I don't know how he didn't know since it was all over the paperwork he received to have a car in the car corral, but whatever. Perhaps the trade-off this year was a weaker early Hershey week but a much stronger late Hershey week. Again, the weather was surely a factor, but he couldn't have been the only guy who didn't realize the day shift.

I'll be eager to see how things go in the future, but I believe the shift to earlier in the week has made the show stronger with better crowds and longer opportunities to buy and sell. 

• Like 4

For my part, I found Hershey just like those of the past. Been attending since 1973, vending since 1985. Yes, it was wet on Tuesday, but I had more sales in the rain than on Wednesday or Thursday. People who shop in the rain are serious buyers. I'll take the rain as I have in the past. Look at it this way, it could have been as bad as the hurricane when the Green field was first opened. Now THAT was rain...

Frank

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

OK- I will complain about one issue…….the food vendors seemed diminished. Less choice, longer lines, none in the middle of the fields. Since I’m on a diet since Pebble (down 20) and have more to go  I did almost no on the field food purchases.

Ed, this is a very simple one.  The lack of more food vendors is real simple...they do not have enough help!!  That is what we understand has been said by many...they would love to come but simply do not have the manpower.

• Thanks 1

I love the logic from the complainers saying vendors MUST stay the entire time and how pissed they are, yet won't walk a row that is 50% filled. So the vendor that DOES stay the entire time, you won't walk down to see them because the row is only 50% full? What type of logic is that? I try not to judge people on golf carts or whatever they're using to move around. I was at our booth almost the entire time and only had an hour to walk the car corral 1 time over 4 days. I wanted to use my electric scooter so I could efficiently do it and get back to my booth, but was denied, so I walked it which was fine. 

It cost us 5-6k to attend hershey. No matter the ROI, we'll be there every year going forward. We had 2 vans parked in our spot, as well as our hauling rig. We had all of them full by the time we left. We do not stay on the grounds and need transportation in/out. Hershey is what you make of it. If you want it be a miserable complaining festival, I'm sure you can do that. However, it's the only show of the year where so many diverse backgrounds come together to celebrate automotive history. I always meet amazing people with incredible stories and see cars I've never seen before. No show is perfect, but if you can't find something to love about Hershey, stay home. 

• Like 6

Cost my European customers much more then that just to come some 7500 plane rental car and hotel before looking for one part, and they deserve vendors not RV’s eating up six spaces only to have a card table of 2 carburetors and a ashtray and a hot wheel, All I am saying is usually I am supportive but when I ask customers of past did you not come and they said yeah and I said where were you there answer was they would see down rows of pickups cars and rv’s and skip the rows we will still come but its getting with my business bot worth the time and straining to start planning and loading  in mid August for a event if the buyers wont come down a empty row, so maybe with our ten spaces we will be a camper and drink and just pick LOL 😂 

see ya next year

PS did anybody see the goober riding in a Pink elephant with Miller all day

Cheers 🍻 

will add up my expenses just for comparison

maybe a tram from Herco to help out the parkers get on the field from parking so far away

• Like 1

The day shift forward is nothing but positive for me and many others. Rain and the hurricane certainly caused a 20 percent last minute no show for people. Friends from Florida and the Carolina’s had wind/water issues. It’s interesting to see that the food vendors are lacking help. We have had great luck using Fire Department or Church Auxiliary to put up tents and feed us on tours and local events. I would think a local organization would be able to use the fall meet as a big payday for their organization. Maybe it just takes the right phone call to find someone. Hell, even a mobile fast food chain truck like we see at the state fairs would do ok at Hershey. The Chick Filet truck times five would be helpful.

• Like 2

No need for a tram, there's already a shuttle bus service in place from the general parking area across from the Giant Center in the Green Field, you can jump on the bus and ride it down Hersheypark Drive to stops at both the beginning and end of the Red Field. This free bus service is quite convenient and has been in place for many years. All the information can be found on page 5 of the $5.00 program. 

So Ed, things are just not that simple.  Food vendors are charged per day to attend the fall meet by the landowner.  So it is a gamble for some and certainly they did not do well the first few days.  Secondly, it takes some understanding of this area to know that getting food trucks, et. is not that simple.  The Chick truck is a constant in the park and they have a partnership with HE&R.  The local fire departments etc. have their own fund raisers going on during the week as well.

Sorry but I think you are too optimistic about finding workers.  Local restaurants have cut back hours, etc. due to the manpower shortage.  Again, you have to live here to know how acute the problem is.  Many food vendors have just given up despite the opportunity for big profits.  I have talked to more than a few.  They are tired, exasperated and fed up with trying to get people despite raising their wages.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, The 55er said:

No need for a tram, there's already a shuttle bus service in place from the general parking area across from the Giant Center in the Green Field, you can jump on the bus and ride it down Hersheypark Drive to stops at both the beginning and end of the Red Field. This free bus service is quite convenient and has been in place for many years. All the information can be found on page 5 of the $5.00 program. 

Thats nice, do they take you to all the fields 55er??? And will they lug heavy bumpers and parts like other parts swap meets. A lot of people want to buy heavy’s but have no way to get to there car sometimes they will let a few on field depending on the guys attitude according to customers we never get to leave field as a seller Just need some tightening of these spots so other big guys that have parts can get on the spaces and we have more parts to sell.

Thanks

42 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

So Ed, things are just not that simple.  Food vendors are charged per day to attend the fall meet by the landowner.  So it is a gamble for some and certainly they did not do well the first few days.  Secondly, it takes some understanding of this area to know that getting food trucks, et. is not that simple.  The Chick truck is a constant in the park and they have a partnership with HE&R.  The local fire departments etc. have their own fund raisers going on during the week as well.

Sorry but I think you are too optimistic about finding workers.  Local restaurants have cut back hours, etc. due to the manpower shortage.  Again, you have to live here to know how acute the problem is.  Many food vendors have just given up despite the opportunity for big profits.  I have talked to more than a few.  They are tired, exasperated and fed up with trying to get people despite raising their wages.

Yes Steve but the vendors have told me the fee’s they are charged from Herco is so high that profit margins are so tight to bother one of the guys was my Nephews high school buddy, he was a vendor in between chocolate fields before covee and he did I think hot subs or sausage ??? I dunno but said he was having to pay Herco like 3000 a day to sell does that seem correct?  This area is out of my expertise but since we are Imprisoned it would be nice if some were around after day over to sell to vendors? Just a thought

Regards

Rich

PS Sorry about your Loss of your Friend my Dad knew Earl well.

Basically someone should tell Hershey Company to lighten up on the food vending rent. It makes no sense to price the vendors out to the point that it’s a wast of time to do the show. We already plan on bringing our own food and grill next year. Ten times better, easier, and fifteen cents on the dollar. It’s easier to adapting to it than suffering with funnel cakes………..and sugar covered pretzels. 

• Like 3

Let me dispel the notion that it is three thousand a day...nowhere' s near it.  I know the price but not in my purview to give out the info.  No vendor was any busier in previous years than NICO's Pizza yet he has not been back since COVID.  Wright's have been a mainstay near the Main tent for year's and would not be back unless they were profitable!  I do agree we need more and I was pushing for a food truck court this year but it did not happen.  I will certainly bring the complaints to the attention of HE&R.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, thehandleman said:

Thats nice, do they take you to all the fields 55er??? And will they lug heavy bumpers and parts like other parts swap meets. A lot of people want to buy heavy’s but have no way to get to there car sometimes they will let a few on field depending on the guys attitude according to customers we never get to leave field as a seller Just need some tightening of these spots so other big guys that have parts can get on the spaces and we have more parts to sell.

Thanks

The shuttle bus stops at the day parking area crosswalk on Hersheypark Drive at the entrance to the Green Field. The Orange Field is only a short walking distance away from there. Then it goes east down Hersheypark Drive and stops where the Chocolate & Red fields meet so technically it stops at 3 of the 4 swap meet fields. I've ridden on the shuttle buses many times with some large items that I could carry on and fit on the seat next to me. I have seen people open the back door of the bus and load larger things such as scooters & bicycles into the back seat area. I'd think if you can carry it onto the bus and it fits you can haul it. An average sized bumper might work if there's room and the bus isn't full of people. Many passengers have entered the bus carrying some smaller items along with their swap meet bags. The bus will eventually take you back to the day parking area opposite the Giant Center at the Green Field. And yes, it is nice. IMO more people should be taking advantage if it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Let me dispel the notion that it is three thousand a day...nowhere' s near it.  I know the price but not in my purview to give out the info.  No vendor was any busier in previous years than NICO's Pizza yet he has not been back since COVID.  Wright's have been a mainstay near the Main tent for year's and would not be back unless they were profitable!  I do agree we need more and I was pushing for a food truck court this year but it did not happen.  I will certainly bring the complaints to the attention of HE&R.  

Hey steve,

maybe back then it was 3-3500 for the three days all I know is he is not there anymore so maybe his profit wasn’t as good as wrights 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Mike McCandless said:

...complainers saying vendors...

Please consider, everyone, that people want to make

our show better in various ways.  They have been going

to the meet for years or decades, see things that can be

improved, all the while appreciating the good.  They are

not merely "complaining."  They are experienced car fans

who may have served their own regions extensively.

They may run their own businesses and maintain dozens

of cars.  They are making pointed suggestions to improve the

experience and make the show thrive!

AACA should ponder these suggestions carefully and 

act upon some of the best.

• Like 3

I have 100 percent faith in National & Hershey Region in how they run things. I have absolutely no faith that a company as big as the one you are dealing with has a competent person handling their affairs. It’s rather ironic that the AACA fall meet is what really put the place on the map. If the show was never there the town would still be the quiet and sleepy agricultural place it was well into the 80’s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I have 100 percent faith in National & Hershey Region in how they run things. I have absolutely no faith that a company as big as the one you are dealing with has a competent person handling their affairs. It’s rather ironic that the AACA fall meet is what really put the place on the map. If the show was never there the town would still be the quiet and sleepy agricultural place it was well into the 80’s.

I’m not quite sure thats true, Ed….Hershey Park has been in business since 1906, and there are other events held at Hershey other than our show.  

For example, a large RV expo is held every year (covers the green and part of orange field, one parks in chocolate field).  Been there.

Yes, we bring money to the area, but it wouldn’t be a sleepy town if we were gone.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I try to get to Hershey every year. Not as long a tenure as most of you guys but have been going for probably 10-15 yrs. Missing a few here and there. I am not going to make any complaints. I feel if I am not volunteering and putting in some 'sweat equity' then I have no right to complain to those that are doing so (I was in a major service organization for a number of years and appreciate the fact that 10% do 90% of the work). I do think constructive criticism is good. I was there on Friday only, for the car show. My first time showing a car at AACA and hopefully not my last. The show was beyond what I had expected with the shear magnitude and variety. I was a bit dissapointed with the vendor area being a bit 'light' but I understand a lot of people went home on Thurs, or were packing up on Friday. One thing that impressed me- I asked a vendor for a particular item, he looked through his stash and could not find what I wanted then pointed me in the direction of another guy selling the same kind of stuff. I thought that was pretty decent. Maybe with the change of days going forward more will stay for Friday. Food did seem light but again for a one day trip not that big of a deal. One only needs to eat so much carnival food to begin with. I did get to meet some forum guys which was nice. At the car show field we had an impromptu get together of forum members which was nice as well. It was great meeting and talking to you guys. I had a great time and looking forward to next year!

• Like 3

I for one, am grateful for hershey.. Instead of complaining, I am happy to attend and walk among like minded people from around the world. We met people from Norway, New Zealand etc.  They travel from the other side of the globe for something we have around the corner from us. The fine folks who run this amazing event every year should be commended at the fine job they do. Cant wait till next year.

• Like 4

On 10/6/2022 at 2:28 PM, lhend50 said:

I attended Hershey meets from 1979-2008 without missing a year. Since 2008 I have only been able to go 3 times. This year I decided to go out on Tues and Wednesday. Just got back home a couple of hrs ago, so I had plenty of driving time to think about all the differences between my earlier visits and this last visit. I also vended several years back in the 80's. My impression after this year is things need to change. Yesterday, I walked 12 miles, covered much of the flea market, but not all. Frankly, many rows were not worth walking down. Empty spaces and way too many spaces being used simply for parking. It is time to reduce the size of the flea market, since most of it is not being used to sell anything, just simply as a parking lot. When I vended long ago, you could not just park in your space, you needed to sell parts or you were gone. I don't know how many spaces the AACA makes available or how many were actually sold, but, I think the time has come to reduce the number of spaces available and enforce a sell parts, or get out of the space policy. I enjoyed my time there, but, most likely it will be my last trip. 

I have five spaces.  On that space was two trailers, two vehicles and a large tent.  Both myself and the guy who sets up with me both come in with trailers and we drive in because we don't stay at the same place.  I'm not about to park a zip code away to get into my spots every day because there are days when I take stuff out and bring stuff in.  The same can be said for the trailers we use to haul stuff in and out.

6 hours ago, Mike McCandless said:

I love the logic from the complainers saying vendors MUST stay the entire time and how pissed they are, yet won't walk a row that is 50% filled. So the vendor that DOES stay the entire time, you won't walk down to see them because the row is only 50% full? What type of logic is that? I try not to judge people on golf carts or whatever they're using to move around. I was at our booth almost the entire time and only had an hour to walk the car corral 1 time over 4 days. I wanted to use my electric scooter so I could efficiently do it and get back to my booth, but was denied, so I walked it which was fine. 

It cost us 5-6k to attend hershey. No matter the ROI, we'll be there every year going forward. We had 2 vans parked in our spot, as well as our hauling rig. We had all of them full by the time we left. We do not stay on the grounds and need transportation in/out. Hershey is what you make of it. If you want it be a miserable complaining festival, I'm sure you can do that. However, it's the only show of the year where so many diverse backgrounds come together to celebrate automotive history. I always meet amazing people with incredible stories and see cars I've never seen before. No show is perfect, but if you can't find something to love about Hershey, stay home. 

Yup I'm in the same boat as you are and you're going to have complainers no matter what happens.

Another pet peeve has been the idiots that will come in and say that the flea market should be arranged so that all of vendors should be grouped based on what they sell (Ford, GM, Mopar, etc.)

Then you have the morons who think AACA should step in and do something about the hotels who are "price gouging" on their room rates when truth be told, both the Hershey Region and AACA have as much ability to control hotel room rates as the complainers can control the rain.  

The funny thing is that the Hershey region is stretched so thin that they don't have the staff to enforce the people who run through the flea market with unregistered scooters and golf carts.  If that was enforced like it should, there'd be a lot of people crying foul about that.  Six years ago I was hurt in a really bad accident, I did the Hershey Flea Market on crutches and had some clown on a scooter run over my foot and keep going.  I was already hurt pretty bad to begin with and this moron didn't do me any favors.

On Thursday I saw a guy in the red field take a golf cart, run over a bunch of a vendor's items and kept going.  Never stopped, never apologized, never said nothing just caused damaged and ignored it all.

Personally, I think the majority of the AACA members are good people.  I am thoroughly convinced that the majority of the people who cause problems at Hershey don't even belong to AACA.  Usually when you go to any AACA meet other than Hershey, the problems are minimal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

Basically someone should tell Hershey Company to lighten up on the food vending rent. It makes no sense to price the vendors out to the point that it’s a wast of time to do the show.  

From a liability standpoint, I'm sure HERCO is charging a fair amount because you know if someone eats at one of those trucks and gets sick, you know the person who gets sick will go after HERCO too.  I'm not saying I agree with the high price, but from a liability standpoint, I think I can see why things are done the way they are.

7 hours ago, trimacar said:

We had a great Hershey, lots of sales and great visiting with old and new friends (a really big driver for us to come to Hershey, as at this point I’m not looking to buy much of anything)

Could only attend for 2 days this year.  Attended most years since 1970.

My main goal this year was to meet Trimacar to get a little free advice( I think it was free) on replacing the headliner in my 31 Plymouth. He was gracious enough to spend a good amount of time giving my wife and I some good tips on how to tackle this ourselves.

Thanks again Dave

Charlie and Kitty

• Thanks 1

This was my first Hershey and hopefully not my last. I had a great time. Met a lot of forum members that helped me fix the 38 when I wrecked it. Walked many rows looking for other forum members that had stalls and were selling. Walked far enough my legs said enough as the braces were rubbing them raw. I would do it again in a minute as it was fun meeting these characters face to face. Maybe next year I can do more. Hopefully I can find where Ed has his grill set up an get a hamburger at least or maybe a stake if I’m lucky. I promise I’ll have a bottle or two of good Kentucky bourbon and maybe some of that cheaper Canadian stuff he prefers. I do have to say I appreciate all the work the volunteers, staff, management, and even Steve put into this event for our enjoyment. In my view it was a great success. Thank you. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Been a vendor since 1972 and attended a few times before that. Wasn't the best Hershey weather but far from the worse, only wore 4 layers of clothes and had two more layer to go. Got up a 3am Monday to get to our space to setup by noon on Monday was open for business a few hours later. Was open till after 5 accept Tuesday I gave up around 3:30. We did pack up and leave Friday. We use to stay open on show day. Probably didn't sell enough on a show day to stay one night in a motel all those years put together. The reason we stopped was because HERCO made it hard to stay over night. I don't remember what year it was but they sent in the Portal John pumpers in the middle of the night, making lots of noise and a real stench. That year or the next they come banging on our camper at 5 or 6am saying we needed to get packed up. When we load all the flea stuff in the camper we can't sleep in it. We use to be 6 hours away now we are 8 hours away, so if we stay open on show day we would have to find a motel room on the way home. Unless you have a spot on the way to the show there are very few buyers walking on show day. 

12 hours ago, alsancle said:

I also noticed that I was behind you in the buffet line at the Stutz Club dinner. And I had to wait for them to refill the pans.

AJ, please let me know when Ed no longer casts a shadow when he stands edgewise to the sun...  🙂

• Haha 3

Great write up on the bus,  I will try to take advantage of the bus in the future from especially from the Green Field to the Red field  those walking there 15 or 20 minutes is to bad, there are always more booth to visit that I miss on Monday and Tuesday.

• Like 1

A Hershey thought on Sunday after getting home. The Hershey experience even made my wife happy. I came home with such a big smile and all around great feeling even though my legs were sore and my knees look like balloons. I talked nonstop and showed her all the pictures until she said it was getting late. 
Thanks again to all the volunteers, staff, administration, judges and Steve for putting on a very successful event for our enjoyment. I can not imagine the number of dedicated hours of planning and work it takes to put this event on. Volunteers you all deserve a special congratulatory dinner. If I see Steve I will suggest the staff and administration all get a raise, Steve too! 
I’m still smiling and hope you are too. 
dave s 

• Like 8

Dave while my staff and I do put in a lot of work for the event it is the Hershey Region and their volunteers who make it all happen.  These folks give up THEIR enjoyment of the show so that all our guests can have a good time.  I use to come as all of you did and so enjoyed the event each day without realizing what goes in to put Hershey on.  Now I know and of course I do not get to enjoy the show as I use to as now I am one of the workers.  So glad you had a great time!  That is why everyone keeps coming back, warts and all it is still the best week of the year.

• Like 7

I'll keep this short-Hershey, FANTASTIC (as always).  Thaks to Hershey Region and all involved for another great year!  Instead of counting empty spaces, I'm counting the days until the next one!

Terry

• Like 4

Thanks Steve for making it clear about my leaving the regional club off my thanks. I’ll blame it on a rookie mistake. 
I hope they will forgive me and let me come back next year for my second Hershey. I’m even willing to have to park in the furthest away spot because I had such I good time. The Hershey region members and volunteers know how to throw a good party and show out of town visitors a good time. Special thanks to them. 
dave s 

This year was my third trip to Hershey. Once about 20 years ago, another about 10 years ago. This time my 23 year old son came with me. He had as much of a blast as me. Here are some thoughts:

+I'm still making rookie mistakes. I planned two full days, Thursday and Friday to see the swap meet and the car show. It was not enough time. Three full days are needed to see all of the swap meet. I planned on seeing more swap meet on part of Friday but all the vendors were packing up. 

+Way too many vendors with too many tubs of rusty unsorted crap that will never make it back on a car. 

+Next time we will start on the chocolate field. It seemed the vendors there had better stuff than on the red field. 

+We were blown away by the variety and quality of the car corral and the car show. We were in awe of the parade of cars entering the show field. It was a special experience to see rare show cars running and driving rather than just sitting still. 

+I did not find the part I was looking for. I did find rare parts on my previous trips. 

19 minutes ago, Tom Boehm said:

This year was my third trip to Hershey. Once about 20 years ago, another about 10 years ago. This time my 23 year old son came with me. He had as much of a blast as me. Here are some thoughts:

+I'm still making rookie mistakes. I planned two full days, Thursday and Friday to see the swap meet and the car show. It was not enough time. Three full days are needed to see all of the swap meet. I planned on seeing more swap meet on part of Friday but all the vendors were packing up. 

+Way too many vendors with too many tubs of rusty unsorted crap that will never make it back on a car. 

+Next time we will start on the chocolate field. It seemed the vendors there had better stuff than on the red field. 

+We were blown away by the variety and quality of the car corral and the car show. We were in awe of the parade of cars entering the show field. It was a special experience to see rare show cars running and driving rather than just sitting still. 

+I did not find the part I was looking for. I did find rare parts on my previous trips. 

Tom,

From a longtime Vendor, of years and years and coming with Dad since 64 as a young tike, these days we come up Sat and then setup tents Sunday then real setup day is Monday now and selling also, The Foreigners have figured out your mistake a few years ago, as they used to come Thurs,Fri, and never cover enough now there here on setup day monday.  We are tired by Friday from sleeping in trailer so we packup Friday A long week for us. My advice if your looking for the elusive hard to find part Come at the very beginning and cover the week or you get the answer had it, sold it, Glad you had fun See you Next year and bring broke handles or escutcheons or photos if you need those.

Cheers

Rich 

• Like 1

Hershey thoughts from 2022:

This year started out in a less than ideal manner for me due to some vehicle and travel issues but as the weather improved and the week progressed it turned out to be a very good Hershey experience.

We are in the red field (immediately next to the chocolate field) and foot traffic was decent but sales in our flea market were slow all week. Foot traffic was slow during the worst of the rain and I didn’t even open my flea market until Wednesday morning. Even after the rain stopped there were lots of lookers but not much money changing hands.  My late opening and the state of the economy may be to blame for the lack of sales.  My flea market is basement sweepings (some good stuff and some not as good stuff) and I don’t expect the flea market to pay for my trip.  It is a 750-mile trip for me and thus a significant financial and time commitment.  I have been coming to Hershey since 1980 and have only missed 3 years.  I have been a vendor for all but the first few years I started coming with my father.  

There were a significant number of empty spaces where we were located but not as many as last year. Plus, it didn’t turn into a complete ghost town on Friday as it has in the last few years.  My first impressions of the new schedule are positive.

The number of spaces with vehicles parked on them does not bother me as long as they have a reasonable flea market presence.  I have 4 spaces that we park 2 motorhomes on.  (I also have 4 other spaces that I use to help sponsor the Stanley Museum). But I also had 3 people on my sites who were offering parts for sale.  I have always had parts for sale at my various flea market locations over the years.  The rules for vending in the flea market aren’t being enforced very well IMO.  In reality vendors do need a way to transport their parts and a way to get in and out of the flea market during the week.  IMO it is not unreasonable to allow vendors to park and/or camp on their sites.

I believe the empty flea market spaces are a bigger issue.  There are two types of empty spaces.  The first is the people who have serious personal challenges e.g., victims of hurricane Ian in Florida and other states.  Those people have a good reason to miss Hershey and should not be criticized.  The second are the people who have quit coming and realistically won’t be returning.  If you ever give up your spaces the way the it works, they are forever gone.  And per the rules the space cannot be sublet to another person. It is easy to understand why a long time Hershey attendee would not give up their spaces in the hope they might get to come back some day.  IMO the Hershey Region should do a survey of the empty spaces and contact the owners.  If they know they won’t be back they might be willing to give up the space.  Another possibility is to create a system whereby the owner of the space may sublet it to another person.   Hershey Region could charge a service fee to sublet the space and this could be done year by year.  If the original vendor wanted to use the space they could. It would require some effort and expense but there is a potential to reduce the footprint of the flea market and make access easier to those on foot. 

We discovered that Dennis Carpenter and Bill Hirsch were in the programs but had no presence in the flea market.  Also, one of the major literature vendors has retired from Hershey and other flea markets and moved to an online marketing model. Apparently, some of the longtime large and small vendors are no longer coming to Hershey.  It is not a good development but I get it.  Travel costs and taxes put a damper on the ability to make a profit.

And one personal pet peeve.  Enforcement of unauthorized personal modes of transportation has gotten lax.  I was almost taken out by a perfectly healthy idiot on a bicycle.  There was a kid riding a bike doing wheelies through the flea market on Thursday.  That is unacceptable.

For me the pluses of going to Hershey still outnumber the minuses.  Seeing old friends and meeting new ones is always the highlight of my trip. 

Alan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A Woolf said:

Hershey thoughts from 2022:

This year started out in a less than ideal manner for me due to some vehicle and travel issues but as the weather improved and the week progressed it turned out to be a very good Hershey experience.

We are in the red field (immediately next to the chocolate field) and foot traffic was decent but sales in our flea market were slow all week. Foot traffic was slow during the worst of the rain and I didn’t even open my flea market until Wednesday morning. Even after the rain stopped there were lots of lookers but not much money changing hands.  My late opening and the state of the economy may be to blame for the lack of sales.  My flea market is basement sweepings (some good stuff and some not as good stuff) and I don’t expect the flea market to pay for my trip.  It is a 750-mile trip for me and thus a significant financial and time commitment.  I have been coming to Hershey since 1980 and have only missed 3 years.  I have been a vendor for all but the first few years I started coming with my father.  

There were a significant number of empty spaces where we were located but not as many as last year. Plus, it didn’t turn into a complete ghost town on Friday as it has in the last few years.  My first impressions of the new schedule are positive.

The number of spaces with vehicles parked on them does not bother me as long as they have a reasonable flea market presence.  I have 4 spaces that we park 2 motorhomes on.  (I also have 4 other spaces that I use to help sponsor the Stanley Museum). But I also had 3 people on my sites who were offering parts for sale.  I have always had parts for sale at my various flea market locations over the years.  The rules for vending in the flea market aren’t being enforced very well IMO.  In reality vendors do need a way to transport their parts and a way to get in and out of the flea market during the week.  IMO it is not unreasonable to allow vendors to park and/or camp on their sites.

I believe the empty flea market spaces are a bigger issue.  There are two types of empty spaces.  The first is the people who have serious personal challenges e.g., victims of hurricane Ian in Florida and other states.  Those people have a good reason to miss Hershey and should not be criticized.  The second are the people who have quit coming and realistically won’t be returning.  If you ever give up your spaces the way the it works, they are forever gone.  And per the rules the space cannot be sublet to another person. It is easy to understand why a long time Hershey attendee would not give up their spaces in the hope they might get to come back some day.  IMO the Hershey Region should do a survey of the empty spaces and contact the owners.  If they know they won’t be back they might be willing to give up the space.  Another possibility is to create a system whereby the owner of the space may sublet it to another person.   Hershey Region could charge a service fee to sublet the space and this could be done year by year.  If the original vendor wanted to use the space they could. It would require some effort and expense but there is a potential to reduce the footprint of the flea market and make access easier to those on foot. 

We discovered that Dennis Carpenter and Bill Hirsch were in the programs but had no presence in the flea market.  Also, one of the major literature vendors has retired from Hershey and other flea markets and moved to an online marketing model. Apparently, some of the longtime large and small vendors are no longer coming to Hershey.  It is not a good development but I get it.  Travel costs and taxes put a damper on the ability to make a profit.

And one personal pet peeve.  Enforcement of unauthorized personal modes of transportation has gotten lax.  I was almost taken out by a perfectly healthy idiot on a bicycle.  There was a kid riding a bike doing wheelies through the flea market on Thursday.  That is unacceptable.

For me the pluses of going to Hershey still outnumber the minuses.  Seeing old friends and meeting new ones is always the highlight of my trip. 

Alan

I agree with 90 plus % I will say, I know one guy who has spots all over Chocolate Field South and rents them to other people for a profit and those people are parkers, I won’t rat cause I never been that way, but it tells me the Region right there does not followup on profit seekers for parking across from me was a car trailer in a dual vendor spot all week just for storage, I don’t have answers, all I can say is Thank god its in my Blood and I love it or I would have bailed already Just because of the enforcement never happens, and expenses, and last for every four golf carts  one did not have the bracelet tag that went by us, they are getting bigger and bigger with non caring or concerned about people traffic. I get the legit handicaped people need and deserve carts and scooters.  I just hate cheating rule breakers!😡

see ya Next year to all my Customers and Friends I made along the way Stateside and Foreign.

Cheers 

• Like 1

Hirsch did have a tent vending on the Green field, they were right down the row from me.

Thanks to the Hershey region for the effort to put on the meet.

Yes it’s changing as the years go by, but it’s still the greatest show on earth from an old car guy’s perspective.

No, it’s not perfect, nothing is…either accept it for what it is or stay home and complain, your choice.

Still don’t understand buyers sitting in their hotel rooms as it rains, and venders staying closed…..we sold a ton of of stuff in the rain on Tuesday..

• Like 3

9 hours ago, trimacar said:

Hirsch did have a tent vending on the Green field, they were right down the row from me.

Thanks to the Hershey region for the effort to put on the meet.

Yes it’s changing as the years go by, but it’s still the greatest show on earth from an old car guy’s perspective.

No, it’s not perfect, nothing is…either accept it for what it is or stay home and complain, your choice.

Still don’t understand buyers sitting in their hotel rooms as it rains, and venders staying closed…..we sold a ton of of stuff in the rain on Tuesday..

David,

Technically you are correct that Hirsch was present at Hershey.  After we spoke to you on Wednesday, we found the Hirsch spot in the Green Field.  It turned out that the vendor was a Hirsch dealer and did not carry most of the products and materials Hirsch sells.  He didn’t even offer a catalog and said to look online for the item I was interested in.  The reality is shopping for most of the items Hirsch sells has to be done by mail or online.

I am not upset that the bigger vendors are not coming to Hershey.  They have to make a buck and with online shopping there has been a major change in the way consumers purchase items. Hershey thrived and survived before the era of the big vendor participation.   Change is constant and Hershey has adapted to a lot of change over the years.  Kudos to the Hershey Region for making it work in spite of many challenges.

BTW it was nice to meet you last week.  It is always good to put faces and names together.  Also, thanks for the upholstery advice. 

Alan

Just a comment about flea market spaces and how they can be transferred.  I don’t know if most flea market vendors know that if you have a desirable flea market space it can be transferred to another AACA member.   This way if you are ready to give up your space and have a friend who wants your space or know someone who wants to attend Hershey for the first time you can transfer your space to them.  All it takes it a letter to Hershey Region that states the space to transfer and who the transfer goes to.  The AACA number of the grantor and the recipient are required and you must have your signature notarized.  If you need more information about transferring spaces contact the Hershey Region. 

This is method I used to acquire some of my spaces from long time vendors who finally retired from Hershey due to advancing age.  I might also add these were friends and we were vendors alongside one another for years.

Alan