Hershey thoughts

lhend50

17 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Dave while my staff and I do put in a lot of work for the event it is the Hershey Region and their volunteers who make it all happen.  These folks give up THEIR enjoyment of the show so that all our guests can have a good time.  I use to come as all of you did and so enjoyed the event each day without realizing what goes in to put Hershey on.  Now I know and of course I do not get to enjoy the show as I use to as now I am one of the workers.  So glad you had a great time!  That is why everyone keeps coming back, warts and all it is still the best week of the year.

AMEN to that....

It wasn't until I chaired a national meet before I was ever able to comprehend what goes into putting on a meet, and to what the National Directors and staff at AACA Headquarters do to keep the club running.  Most of those folks not only put in a lot of time and work, most of them are stretched thin enough to where they don't have the time to enjoy their own cars (which is why we're all here).

In terms of the Hershey Region, after my own experience, how and why they do what they do, and to do it every year for the last 67 years just blows my mind.

It isn't an easy thing, then you add a new building and the loss of Chris makes it that much harder too.

As many of you know, Twenty years ago I missed Hershey because I was deployed to the middle east.  The very last commander that I ever worked for was a West Point graduate.  He was tough, but he was fair.  Anytime one of my soldiers had an issue I would go to him and one of the things that he used to tell me is "Sergeant, don't come to me with a problem unless you have a solution."  Sometimes he agreed with me, sometimes he disagreed with me, and sometimes we didn't see eye to eye, but at the end of the day, the mutual respect was still there, which still remains to this day.

In simpler terms, it is far easier to find fault and criticize, but it is much harder to find a solution to the problem.  I think for all of the things that get thrown their way, both the Hershey Region and the staff at AACA Headquarters do a good job of finding problems and finding solutions that try to resolve the problems.  Will they catch every issue??  No, but in most cases, for every problem that gets resolved, a lot of times two more problems will surface.

Thank you Hershey Region and the AACA staff for what you do and continue to do.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, A Woolf said:

Just a comment about flea market spaces and how they can be transferred.  I don’t know if most flea market vendors know that if you have a desirable flea market space it can be transferred to another AACA member.   This way if you are ready to give up your space and have a friend who wants your space or know someone who wants to attend Hershey for the first time you can transfer your space to them.  All it takes it a letter to Hershey Region that states the space to transfer and who the transfer goes to.  The AACA number of the grantor and the recipient are required and you must have your signature notarized.  If you need more information about transferring spaces contact the Hershey Region. 

This is method I used to acquire some of my spaces from long time vendors who finally retired from Hershey due to advancing age.  I might also add these were friends and we were vendors alongside one another for years.

Alan  

You can also do the Transfer right on the Field at the Hershey Tent

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2022 at 7:05 PM, ex98thdrill said:

...you're going to have complainers no matter what happens.

...idiots that will come in and say that the flea market should be arranged so that all of vendors should be grouped based on what they sell (Ford, GM, Mopar, etc.)

...Then you have the morons who think AACA should step in and do something about the hotels...

Along with your other good comments, please

don't think of your fellow club members and

forum members as complainers, idiots, and morons.

We try to be a friendly group of car fans, Mr. Drill,

sharing a common interest.  

• Like 2

After reading all the posts, I decided it was time to give my thoughts.

This year marked my 44th year of going.  Plus, I have had a vendor spot for the last 28 years.

The weather played a big part in this year's show.  Monday was cold and grey, Tuesday was a wash out and Wednesday, did not get better till the afternoon.

From my spot in the green field, I could see a number of venders did not open till open till Wednesday, the vendor to the right of me never opened up, and the vendor to right of me closed up and left Wednesday night.  Thursday afternoon, I walked the chocolate field.  It was a ghost town, I almost got knocked down by a tumbleweed going thought!  It was just like a Friday of old.  Did not bother me, it has always been like that on a Friday, now it is just a day early.

As for the empty vendor spots, again I have seen this for the past number of years.  As for the vender spots being used for parking, I have to admit I am one of these venders.  Because of Covid 19 and family issues, my wife has not come to Hershey since 2019.  And since in 2019 my profit was in the mid three figures, she is the only person I can afford to run my stand.  I do not sell at Hershey to make much money, and I have been very successful at that.  This year I am glad I did not set up.

As for the lack of food vendors. For 17 years I had spot in the Red field, (nicknamed the dead field) and the only food vendor in the red field was two aisle's down from me and sold $8 hot dogs.  So there never was food in the red field.  So I just bring my own.  I saw plenty of food truck in front of Giant Center.  The issue with the food they were selling, was, it was not the healthiest and considering, the age of most AACA members, the last kind of food they should be eating if they want to continue walking the fields of Hershey.  

No candy being sold on the show grounds.  I found years ago, the candy they sold at Hershey was no bargain, So I just went to a supermarket and brought candy and gave it out, nobody knew the different. 

One issue I have seen nobody write about is the high price of gas in Pennsylvania.  I brought gas at a station of the way to I-81 and paid $3.89 a gallon of gas.  I then stopped at a gas station off I-78 in New Jersey and paid $3.59.  The next day i went to Danbury Ct and the gas was $3.25.  Why is gas in Pennsylvania so expensive???   Is OPEC boycotting Pennsylvania and not selling them oil?   With all the pollical tv commercials on PA tv, how this is not a issue and brought up???

I wasn't going to comment here but golly there are so many gripes! 😬

I've gone since 1979, first with my folks, then on my own or with pals, then with my  wife and our young family, and now with my grown kids and their friends...I LOVE IT! I look forward to it every year and really don't mind if there are some changes or space movements or adjustments or whatever. I'm just HAPPY we have  a HERSHEY to go to! And I'm THANKFUL to the Region, National and the locals, volunteers and area businesses that WELCOME us every year. I don't care who wasn't there - I appreciate those that were there! Sometimes we enter a car in the show, other times not. This year I was able to hit race car evaluations - that's a hoot!  Most importantly I reconnect with dear friends sometimes only this one time a year.- LONG LIVE HERSHEY! 

Edited by AC Fuhrman (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

PA gas tax is extremely high. I live in MD 3 miles south of the PA line. We see lots of PA tags in our town at the gas stations!  I also will try to make sure I have enough petrol in the tank when I go there to get back. Cant stand the thought of paying another .30+ a gallon.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 3:20 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Along with your other good comments, please

don't think of your fellow club members and

forum members as complainers, idiots, and morons.

We try to be a friendly group of car fans, Mr. Drill,

sharing a common interest.  

I'm not.  The issue is that you have people who complain that don't know the other side of things and I'm not just talking about club members.  I've chaired a national meet before so I know the deal.  If the complainers got off their butts and chaired a national meet, they would understand things a lot better.

If you or anyone else who is complaining chaired a meet, you'd quickly find out that although the theory may seem good, it isn't as easy to implement when the shoe is on the other foot and you're in charge.  You'd also quickly find out how hard the National Directors and the staff at AACA Headquarters works to keep everything together for everyone.

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)

3 hours ago, TAKerry said:

PA gas tax is extremely high. I live in MD 3 miles south of the PA line. We see lots of PA tags in our town at the gas stations!  I also will try to make sure I have enough petrol in the tank when I go there to get back. Cant stand the thought of paying another .30+ a gallon.

Yeah for many years gas in Pennsylvania was higher than New York, now it's the other way around.

I rarely make comments about something like this, but, as the comments above have stated, don't bring up an issue unless you have a solution, so here are my thoughts.

As with many others I have been coming to Hershey since I was 10 yrs old with my father and always as a vender starting back when we were in the white field at the end of the old airport runway. Prior to the covid yrs my dad came 59 yrs in a row and and its been 41yrs for me. An older gentleman that is now in his early 80s that vends beside me has 2 bad knees and a bad hip so for the last 6 yrs, below is the mobility scooter that he brings to help him get around the flee market. This is the type of scooter that for me is acceptable for the flee market, they are small, single passenger use, and work quite well as I can attest from the vendor seeing him get around on it. I don't like the golf carts, because they are just like todays pickup trucks and have gotten really big from what they were 20yrs ago and if they have 4 seats they have 4 passengers whether they need it to get around or not.. My suggestion would be for the golf cart issue is that golf carts specifically are not allowed but mobility scooters are. I think this would take care of many of the concerns that both the vendors and visitors have and both HERCO and the Hershey Region. This is a way for those that require a way to get around to have one and it is also easy to identify someone breaking to rules with a golf cart as no golf carts would be allowed and may make it easier to inforce, which I know is the biggest issue. 

I say give a 1 yr grace period for the change over to no golf carts just mobility scooters, everyone who brings a golf cart next yr gets a notice to not bring it back the following yr. I don't know all the legalities involved so this idea may work or it may not, my worry is someone is going to get hurt bad due to the size of the golf carts that are starting to show up. 

image.png.9765559b55dd529de2fb2cdbbdab8e7e.png

I seen golf carts going around this past yr that were even bigger than this one shown below.

image.png.642d0aa668d8993072531bb5e7e2c3a0.png

Edited by coachJC (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Coach, unfortunately your solution is not viable.  First and foremost, we have a legal agreement with the State of Pennsylvania that outlines our use of handicapped devices.  Your solution is contrary to the provisions of that consent decree.  Secondly, a significant portion of golf carts are in use by the Hershey Region volunteers and they are needed to haul items and people around to assigned positions.  There are some other issues as well but the two above are deal breakers.

As an FYI, we even had a personal mobility device injure a guest.  Unfortunately, with so many people and so many people who have issues walking we end up in this conundrum.  

Thanks for the reply Steve.....as someone who is not part of the region and even from another country I don't know all the  legalities of what is involved and or required by HERCO or the State of Pennsylvania hence my hesitancy in wanting to post originally. In Ontario Canada Golf carts are considered a leisure devise and not a mobility device for the handicapped. Different countries different rules.

Edited by coachJC (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Unfortunately that is not true.  At 74 I have severe arthritis.  Even with a cane I can only walk 100 feet or so at most and only then with very bad pain. This was my 55th Hershey.  Would you feel better if I pushed a walker all over the fields?  In any case AACA cannot outlaw golf carts because of the Americans With Disabilities Act.  Yes there were many carts being driven by folks who didn't need them but it is illegal to even ask someone what their disability is. You'll get old some day.

• Like 1

Nobody is claiming that a legit handicapped person cannot have them, there is many reason's as my self hate the carts as people come up and block others from getting in my spots so they walk on, loss of a potential sale, people running into walkers, but I think mainly is that there are vendors or shall I say not vendors who are buying the spots to just unload there four seater carts and then drive around with all service age men on them. That is who needs to be stopped. And Just because your a Judge or volunteer you should not get a cart and parking spot in the field that takes away from the eligible vendors who want to bring parts and sell but all the cheaters buy the spots and again No enforcement! 
but Restorer32 I seriously believe no one on here is saying a elderly or medical needed person cannot have a cart. 
people want real enforcement of the rules not BS every year.
Super hard to make change but if you have the rules already, follow them and enforce them.

I hate scammers!

Cheers to all and see you next year God willing. 

• Like 4

Unfortunately when the the rules and laws were put in place and we talk golf cart this is what we are expecting, 2 seater, 12in wheels, top speed 5mph.

image.png.b48333cc28731c3e16db8760bde084ac.png

And this is what we are starting to get, 4 seater leisure campground vehicle. I wonder if a proper definition of what a golf cart is could be a start to dealing with this issue? Then the question of how do you police it will always come up.

image.png.5995ce7679d1e1dcf210e216c025dc81.pngimage.png.82756a430fd81f92b7416e8e0e19187e.png

I only had 1 measly complaint (which turned to a wet bowel movement as a topic!) but past that, hey it's Hershey. It's immpossible to screw it up! Not everyone is willing or really needs an EZ-UP but it's a good idea. We all pay our space $$ to get in and if there's an extra or 2 for parking than so be it. Some camp and never leave the field. That's a dadgum hershey species! Let em buy the space cuz they probably brought y'all some good stuff. How about big vendor who offer deep deals and have a 1/2 dozen spaces? Want them to park across the road and walk in or buy enough parking for their crew? I approached this year with a "contribute to the brotherhood of this life" attitude. I priced and sold and laughed and met new friends for that. So what, we had weather. It happens. How many folks from those hurricane regions simply couldn't leave their homes for any number of reasons? Steve was right, "glass 1/2 empty" in his commentary. Some say 1/2 empty, some say 1/2 full, I say "hey you gonna drink that?". So you can bet I'll be sipping a glass of Hershey next year and as many as can to follow. 

• Like 3

The problem is if AACA actually tries to enforce the rules how do they go about it?  It is illegal to question anyone re their handicap. To do so could open the AACA to lawsuits.  In Pa there is a State agency that does nothing but monitor adherence to the ADA and they would be only too happy to sic a band of attorneys on the AACA. Win or lose it would cast AACA a fortune in attorney fees.

• Like 4

I think the law states you cannot ask there disability, it does not say you cannot ask for there authorization saying they can have a cart ? Would be easy to verify. Your not questioning what there disability is your questioning there mobile vehicle is properly licensed and as the authority to be used. Its like a hippa law heppa or whatever they call it in the Med field for personal med records release protection of rights.

very easy to go to Pa and ask again they have to apply for the bracelet to use it thats when they have to have the proper documentation in my opine. Good discussion.

On 10/7/2022 at 7:20 PM, timmy25252 said:

I'm referring to the vehicles that are currently parked in the fields without items for sale and nobody nearby.  Or a canopy set up with just a few people sitting underneath or the container that was in 2 spaces just for items to be loaded in.

I know you all feel like I am attacking an event you been attending for longer than I have been alive but I would like to attend Hershey as long as you all have but if changes aren't made, It might be harder to bring in a new demographic to keep the event and hobby alive.  

Do you read EVERY page of a magazine? I don't, if you look at the Hershey swap meet the same way an EMPTY SPACE is no different than one loaded with POST WWII sufff i have no interest in, I walk by both of them, USELESS STUFF to me. I do miss the food vendors, and THANK everyone that keeps Hershey the BEST FLEA MARKET in the USA. Bob 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Do you read EVERY page of a magazine? I don't, if you look at the Hershey swap meet the same way an EMPTY SPACE is no different than one loaded with POST WWII sufff i have no interest in, I walk by both of them, USELESS STUFF to me. I do miss the food vendors, and THANK everyone that keeps Hershey the BEST FLEA MARKET in the USA. Bob 

I do skim through every page of a magazine looking for something of interest just like flea market spots.  I look at plenty of spots that I know most likely won't have parts I am looking for but at least you know there is a chance.

Would you buy that magazine if there are multiple blank pages or the same repeated photo over and over? Just like the empty spaces and vehicles parked that don't support any flea market vendor.   

At least I know there is a chance of finding something when there are items out for sale to look at it.  

Edited by timmy25252 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I care more about the people taking up vendor spots with vehicles, RV’s , that offer no parts to sell, to make clear have no problem camping parking Just bring more then a card table with a cracked autozone taillight for a trailer and a zenith Carb, ha, when I have many friends who need four or more spots and can’t get them because of the people trying to save time save money from hotels and sell nothing period end of comments, Period. 
we have to unpack all parts on field before we can make cots and sleeping bags to sleep every night but my trailer was 9,257lbs. At the cat scales worth of parts and yet my isle had very few vendors on it selling. 
carts are scary but I never leave my 5 spots same with Brother and his 5 spots. To get hit ha.

The only way to save the event from extinction is to fix the non sellers, and I too thank the many volunteers, between brother and me 10 spots are 900.00 my fuel costs to come from Tenn was up and home 469.00 in Diesel Fuel, hotel X 2 hotels at 115.00 average Country inn suites using our points 135.00 for Food to camp on Grounds, Three ham and egg breakfasts every morning from food vendor, not sure what wife paid for that. Just saying its a lot before we sell one thing and the rules said you have to sell Antique car parts at your spaces, please enforce it.  So many customers complained to me and my Foreign Friends who spent 7-8k way way more then me to come said they were disappointed with how many few vendors are there. In closing I will pitch my enforcement request every year till I do not come, Why have the rules every year so only the certain few benefit and the mass who pay and made Hershey what it is get stuck again.

I am done! Go ahead Matt beat my Dead Horse Lol

Cheers to my friends along the way and new ones to be made.

until 2023!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, thehandleman said:

I care more about the people taking up vendor spots with vehicles, RV’s , that offer no parts to sell, to make clear have no problem camping parking Just bring more then a card table with a cracked autozone taillight for a trailer and a zenith Carb, ha, when I have many friends who need four or more spots and can’t get them because of the people trying to save time save money from hotels and sell nothing period end of comments, Period. 
we have to unpack all parts on field before we can make cots and sleeping bags to sleep every night but my trailer was 9,257lbs. At the cat scales worth of parts and yet my isle had very few vendors on it selling. 
carts are scary but I never leave my 5 spots same with Brother and his 5 spots. To get hit ha.

The only way to save the event from extinction is to fix the non sellers, and I too thank the many volunteers, between brother and me 10 spots are 900.00 my fuel costs to come from Tenn was up and home 469.00 in Diesel Fuel, hotel X 2 hotels at 115.00 average Country inn suites using our points 135.00 for Food to camp on Grounds, Three ham and egg breakfasts every morning from food vendor, not sure what wife paid for that. Just saying its a lot before we sell one thing and the rules said you have to sell Antique car parts at your spaces, please enforce it.  So many customers complained to me and my Foreign Friends who spent 7-8k way way more then me to come said they were disappointed with how many few vendors are there. In closing I will pitch my enforcement request every year till I do not come, Why have the rules every year so only the certain few benefit and the mass who pay and made Hershey what it is get stuck again.

I am done! Go ahead Matt beat my Dead Horse Lol

Cheers to my friends along the way and new ones to be made.

until 2023!

Completely agree with everything you stated!   Can't wait to see how anyone can disagree. 

• Like 1

Well after reading all the postings here I cannot resist joining in. I to can state my "Hershey Status" and say I have been going for something like fifty years having started out vending in the Blue field ( I believe it was) down where there is now a roller coaster. Oh yea.....walk across the street to the Parkside Bar & Grill. Remember the people selling breakfast sandwiches and snacks on their front porch along Park Ave?  Well.....fifty years later a lot has changed in my life (not 20yrs old anymore for sure) and a lot at the Hershey Flea Market / Car Show has changed. No longer do I go to the bars and no one I know of is selling refreshments on their porches. The amount of parts and vendors has gone down but then fifty years later it is just a plain fact there are not as many parts around and not as many people that want to haul stuff back and forth. Not when you can sell world wide on the internet. Hello....a lot of us are getting old. I now need a mobility machine to get around and I have an electric three wheel scooter I use. I do question why gas powered golf carts are not allowed as I questioned two AACA or Hershey "officials " riding in their GAS golf cart as to why they had one. I was told they were inspecting the grounds and a smart a** comment about special rules. OK....I am not going to ask them their names which were on the rectangular badges clipped to their hats. I am not going to get confrontational about it....not worth it. Yes....you can rent an electric golf cart ($260.00) a day I believe....hmmmm is that a little excessive??? Then you think/question food is expensive?  How about your last visit to your grocery store?

However..... NONE of this can or ever will be able to take away HERSHEY!!!! Far and away the best automotive gathering you can attend if you have the automobile bug. I will be there as long as I can because there is my brother and friends that can no longer be there so I am still one of the lucky ones. 

Parking, spaces, blah-freakin-blah. In today's vernacular, "dayum bruh, you mad?" Why? Here's an idea, interview every space purchased by members. Demand inventory listings, intended days/hours of attendance and vending, age, particular diet choices, and any other demographic some of the more chronic above are waxing on so much about. Or, stop it already. This was a unique week in the history of the great AACA Eastern Fall Meet. Wanna cry about something? Start and stop with the panic of 2020. Yeah, I said panic. It cost us the meet. Come and see me next year at the northeast end of south chocolate. You can rest in my parking space and watch carts and mobility scooters parade by, give em a wave, watch em buy stuff. Yeah, carts or not they're buyers. Get it? Buyers. Or start a campaign to get these thousands of vendors to cater to the whims of the same ol-same ol rasp by so few. Or don't go. Or demand a refund of your entry ticket...🤭🤭🤭

• Haha 1

Golf cart drivers should have grandfathered rights!!! Especially on the show field and portions of the Giant Center…😖 Just put a few golf clubs in each cart and off you go.  (Once the old Park View golf course).

• Like 1

On 10/9/2022 at 5:53 PM, A Woolf said:

And one personal pet peeve.  Enforcement of unauthorized personal modes of transportation has gotten lax.  I was almost taken out by a perfectly healthy idiot on a bicycle.  There was a kid riding a bike doing wheelies through the flea market on Thursday.  That is unacceptable.

Regarding bicycles, last year I bought a folding bicycle that I had been searching for a while.  My friend was in a mobility scooter (he can't walk / has handicap placard) and we were wandering back to our vehicle to stash it.  I sat on my new bike and pushed myself along with one foot on a pedal slowly making our way through a pretty empty area.   

Some Security Guard stopped me in the far northeast corner of the Red Field and told me that I couldn't ride the bicycle in the Swap Meet.  I explained about just buying it and how we were making our way back to our truck in the Handicap Lot.  Then I asked why didn't he do something about the autos & trucks, the speeding golf cars (these lifted gas powered higher speed vehicles are cars, not carts).  And as A Woolf mentions, I inquired what was being done about the idiots of bicycles careening through other swap meet visitors trying to walk and not be run over.  Mr Security Guard didn't answer and I continued to push myself along on the bike another 150' to the Handicap Parking lot. 

I was seething a bit this year watching how many bicyclists were riding and weaving around pedestrians and golf cart drivers expecting pedestrians to get out of their way!!!  One of these days there is going to be a serious injury and unfortunately the Hershey Region & AACA will likely be the ones suffering through lawsuits for their apparent disregard of enforcing their own rules. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Not sure how much if any of that $90 goes to the AACA or Hershey Region.

Well,I posted some information about income and cash reserves (easily found online about non profit reporting of income) about the Hershey Region, guess the powers that be didn’t like sharing such info and deleted my post.

The yearly income for that region suggests quite a bit of that rental money goes to that region, 1000 members and plenty of money in the bank. 

• Thanks 1

The club gets $7 per space from the region and it is far from a secret as it is in the Policy & Procedure Manual online.  That money is a big help but national also has a ton of expense due to this great event.  Before anyone gets too caught up in the financial numbers for the region it is not an outrageous cash cow especially in 2021 & 2022 as costs have skyrocketed for the Hershey Region.  I'm not sure why or who took down your post David but the $$$ picture is no longer very rosy.  Security alone doubled and charges by the property owner have seriously affected the event.  

In addition, it is not that the region showers their members with perks.  The do not but what they have done is generously donated to AACA and other causes.  Very significant donations.

My perspective is pretty close compared to most of you and I can tell you that any event or business has to pay their bills so money is important but the region is in fact working on constant improvement of the guest experience.  There was enough complaints about the lack of food vendors (we know the reasons why) but it has already started serious discussion of new ideas for next year.

My final thoughts are that we as guests seem to think too often that "fixing" our complaints are easy.  Until you know ALL the background you have no idea of the complexities of everything surrounding Hershey.  I also think too often the public does not really recognize how much of a sacrifice the region members make in order to put the show on for all of us.  They probably would like to walk the flea market and have fun instead of working!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I agree that the Hershey region puts forth a great effort to coordinate this event.

Just the thought of laying down all the space stickers is mind boggling.

I was responding to the comment that seemed to indicate Herco was receiving most of the space rental money, which I don’t believe is true, but I don’t know the arrangement.  Judging by crowds and prices at Chocolate World, I’d think Herco comes out very well on chocolate sales, during a week which would otherwise be much slower.

I do know that the Hershey Region brings in a pile of money, but on the other hand, after expenses of putting on the event, that pile gets much, much smaller.

Hats off to the region and all the volunteers for a great show!

• Like 1

Despite all the complaints , some very self focused, some legitimate ( but without all the facts about all the work required to get the whole event organized)  WE ALL STILL ATTEND - it is the highlight of the old car year and many from Europe feel the same and have to cope with a lot more to even get there or return home.  Next year will be better , no doubt, they are already working on it as Steve mentioned. Take into consideration as already mentioned the of lack of people to hire to work at the food vendors ! They can't help that, they want to pay the staff to sell their food and products. 

I am not a person who holds any office etc in AACA so what I state is my own observation and comparison of what was, what used to be,  to what is now - my attendance at Hershey has been since 1965 without missing any year.  A lot of this  seems to be beyond any AACA types control, national or regional.

Take a deep breath everyone and just pray that you are in good enough health to continue to enjoy the show and flea market, as we have read here so very sadly some great AACA people won't be able to , they have left us forever.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 4

HE& R (No longer HERCO) does get rental for the property.  It is not provided for free.  I continually like to remind folks that the profits generated from the Hershey properties are used to support the Milton Hershey trust that operates the school system for underprivileged and orphan children.  The money does go to a noble cause and other charitable causes in town like our hospital.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

My Dad brought me to Hershey in 1956, I still have the pin. As I recall the entire show was in the stadium.

Except for 4 years in the 60's I've been there each year since. Has it evolved/changed, yes, so have I,  still had as

good a time this year as ever and thank everyone for their effort. Yes I had parts for sale,Yes I did walk around looking,

Yes only 3/4 of a pickup load (my back gave out loading) of pre war, Yes all parts were marked, phone number provided

and an honor box when I wasn't there, Yes I still trust people.

Don't say this often but please quit your b**ching

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1