Hershey thoughts

lhend50

Truth is, and we all know it, if you are looking for a specific part or service you can be more productive spending a few hours online searching for that part and making connections with folks who might have that elusive part than you can in a full day of walking Hershey.  Like it or not  Hershey has become an annual gathering where some folks vend parts and services while many other are there for the "family reunion". This will be my 56th Hershey.  I learned of the existence of AACA and the Hershey meet in 1968 while recuperating from a very serious auto accident and became fascinated with "old cars".  Yes we advertise our services but I will  also be there to enjoy the memories it brings back.  My Son, now 40 was at Hershey when he was 7 weeks old and is now a life member, has never missed Hershey, and now  makes his living restoring cars.  I knew my Dad was terminal when he told me in '86 that he would not be able to make it to Hershey.  Mom loved Hershey and came every year as long as she was physically able and she could not tell a Model A from a Duesenberg.  I have been told by reliable sources that at least 2 AACA members have had their ashes scattered at Hershey.  Please do not deny me and others these memories that only come flooding back at Hershey.  I suspect that if vending parts was not allowed at Hershey many folks would still show up for "The Greatest Show on Earth".  We even drove up to Hershey the year the event was cancelled due to Covid just so we could say we never missed a year.  Hershey means a lot to many folks.  Please do not ruin it with too many rules and regulations.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

There's no question that @Restorer32's experiences at Hershey are what's important.  Rules and regulations should never take anything away from that.   I do hope that the AACA is clever enough to find a way to restore the vending roots of the Hershey flea market and still have wonderful social experience that so many look forward to each year.  Newcomers and outsiders are not really drawn to a reunion.

I'm in the same boat as restorer32, as this will be my 55th HERSHEY. I can't really explain it, but around this time of year when the weather starts to change, I start thinking about HERSHEY. I remember most of the activity around the stadium. I remember the planes taking off and landing at the airport across the street. I remember the mud. I remember the Calliope playing the music and before cell phones, the "message  board" telling friends where to meet. I remember also before cell phones, purchasing two way radios to keep in touch with friends looking for a specific part. I remember the mud. I remember getting back to our hotel and unloading all the catalogs that were once put out by vendors, before everything was put "on line" and no more print catalogs. Of course, the mud. Every year a new rumor as to this might be the last HERSHEY, the complaining about the motorized carts in the flea market area and do we pay tax or not. It's just being there and seeing all the people that I only see once a year. I'm gonna keep going for as long as my surgically repaired knee's hold out and I'm still able to get around. Did I mention the mud? See you at HERSHEY!!! One thing I forgot to mention is the PA announcer and the way he asks that a "ve-hickle" must be moved.

Edited by 46 woodie (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I like going every year for one simple reason. It takes me back when my Grandfather and father were both still with us, and it was about family.........not so much cars. They are gone now; for much longer than I want to admit. Mom is 96, and I will FaceTime her so she can see what is happening now. The mud, the planes, and back when people drove their brass cars 300 miles to the meet...........all things I also miss. I still find some parts every year, it's 95 percent thinner than it was, but old friends still make the trip and often it's the only time every year we meet face to face. It's all good.........Happy Motoring. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I can agree with the great comments of the last four fellows - my first Hershey was in 1965 when it was only one day long . Still have the Neverout side light that I bought then because to me it was a symbol of a real "old car" . Cost me $8.00 reduced from $12 and needed a lot of restoration for cracked brass.But I was happy with that tarnished dirty old lamp. SO many memories , helping Austin Clark sell post post cards from his rented motor home which served as a place for his on going adult's beverage party and gathering place. Giving a talk at the CCCA tent on coach work when they were located in the Blue Field - and wondering who the guy at the back listening and looking like Rasputin was that was furiously taking notes ( it was Ken Karger who became a great friend) CCCA was great in that era when I was still a member. Going to SAH meetings at the basement of the Hotel Hershey with Austin Clark, and SAH board meetings at the home of Howard and Shelby Applegate east of Hershey.  Being the VP of SAH when John Conde was President and being told by Jim Bradley of the Detroit Public Library to "behave boys" as we entered to attend the SAH annual meeting/dinner in Hummelstown. John and I both answered at the same time "NO".

Looking forward to making more memories in a few weeks with my son who has been along for most all years for nearly 30 years now.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Another thing I forgot to mention that "newbies" will never see, are the cardboard signs that were posted on wooden stakes at the end of every grass aisle, telling you what aisle it was. On Saturday I would always help myself to a few and still have several of them hanging on my garage wall. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I have said before, I have been on and off for quite a few years, and I still dont know what you guys are talking about when you say orange field, chocolate field, etc.? Let alone aisle numbers🤔

Hey TAKerry,

Buy a program it has a map in it showing the Fields and row and space numbers also on the Hershey Region site you can get a map and print it.
  I feel you know this already and are messing around ? Ha but if not there is your answer 😂 

Cheers

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thehandleman said:

Hey TAKerry,

Buy a program it has a map in it showing the Fields and row and space numbers also on the Hershey Region site you can get a map and print it.
  I feel you know this already and are messing around ? Ha but if not there is your answer 😂 

Cheers

Actually I have never bought a program. Will do so this year for the first time. Honestly having 'late model' cars, historically in the past there was very little in way of parts to my liking. I just walked the 'field' for the heck of it to see what kind of crazy stuff was out there. In the recent years more and more later model stuff, I guess were on the verge of becoming old, LOL. 

13 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Actually I have never bought a program. Will do so this year for the first time. Honestly having 'late model' cars, historically in the past there was very little in way of parts to my liking. I just walked the 'field' for the heck of it to see what kind of crazy stuff was out there. In the recent years more and more later model stuff, I guess were on the verge of becoming old, LOL. 

The Program is Great! It lists all the vendors by Name and the spots they are at, also I buy extra ad spots for telling key items I am bringing, so in my case Door handles, and another is Trunk Racks, and Mopar Parts that I remember, you can look up specific parts you seek and it will show you all the vendors that put a ad spot for thise items like Bumpers. Also TAKerry I mainly bring all early Parts like 1928-1938 some newer and some stuff to Teens it’s last place to get the early stuff. Program is a plus to do a game plan. 👍

• Like 2

I'd guess I've been going intermittently for about 20 years. My co-conspirator for this year's show had to cancel on me, so I'm not sure if I'll be there.

I go to buy stuff I didn't know I needed and to be surrounded by car people. You can't sit on a bench for more then 5 minutes without meeting someone interesting to chat with about cars. While it does seem like the show is shrinking, they've done a good job keeping vendors car focused. 

• Like 2

1969 was my first year at Hershey, haven't missed one yet. Quality of parts I bring is questionable, the internet has changed that, you can sell "Good Stuff" year round now. I really miss the great people that were part of the show in the past, I think about them every year at Hershey. Miss the mud and our favorite food vendor that was just across the isle for years. See you all next week. Bob 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

1969 was my first year at Hershey, haven't missed one yet. Quality of parts I bring is questionable, the internet has changed that, you can sell "Good Stuff" year round now. I really miss the great people that were part of the show in the past, I think about them every year at Hershey. Miss the mud and our favorite food vendor that was just across the isle for years. See you all next week. Bob 

I sell year round on my ebay site but I stash good stuff just for Hershey don’t care if I get top dollar on Internet, I want Hershey to continue but it’s tuff when so many customers walk past our isle cause maybe there tired and they say not enough parts down that row, lets pick another row cause so many cars eating spaces, I know this has been hashed over and over but it is what it is. My parents brought me in 1964 and I was taken out of school every year for the slave labor, ha but loved every minute of it. I remember one year my Dad Jack knifed his truck camper and trailer on the side of the hill and slid in the mud only to have to spend as he cussed all the way home about the wrecker fee. I think in 1971-1973 whichever year it was cold and a mud pit but like a third of what he sold went to the wrecker guy 😂 

Other fun time they had phone booths down by the little ball diamond I think back side of the stadium and I use to run there and check for change when I could get away from the spaces. Fun times.

Rich

• Like 3

Finding parts or not, finding cars or not, the joy of Hershey is the experience.  I have a constant stream of people I know or who know me coming by the space, love it, great connections and conversation. 

For me, just think of Great Big Fellow, GBF32/33/34 and then some, a few spaces down from Hyman's tent, and say hi!

Get in the spirit of it, stop at a lot of vendors you might just walk by and talk to them.  I don't understand the people who are damned near jogging through the rows, not REALLY looking for treasures.

I try to ask anyone who stops "What car are you working on", and that generates not only conversation, but often leads to parts and such.

If you want to complain about something, Hershey's not at the top of the list by any means.

• Like 3

On 9/20/2023 at 6:33 PM, thehandleman said:

I have said before, I have been on and off for quite a few years, and I still dont know what you guys are talking about when you say orange field, chocolate field, etc.? Let alone aisle numbers🤔

I can explain the fields for you easily.  Green field. the first section you spend 1;2 day in feet are fine.  Orange field, second field you spend the afternoon in. Feet are a bit sore but the thought of dinner and beer help mask the discomfort..  Red field is the section you walk the morning of the second day.  Foot pain come back quickly and no relief.   Black field-the section you begin the afternoon of the second day, and your feet say hell no, and you just glance down ailses to see if anything looks interesting.  You get through the black field in about 45 minutes.

There is no "black" field on the map, the above poster is referring to the Chocolate fields (north and south). It would be a shame to miss the Chocolate fields as they are in the heart of the swap meet and there are always lots of goodies to be found. 

Wear the most comfortable shoes you have, take breaks often and soak your feet at night if you need to, but don't rush through any of it or you may miss some great stuff! 

• Like 2

On 9/21/2023 at 6:33 AM, MetroPetro said:

Worker parking in the middle of Red Field?

Yeah that doesn't look quite right, and right above it the "P" for program sales in the middle of the red field? Doesn't make sense to have program sales mid-field instead of at an entrance.

Some of the critical comments on this thread discouraged me.  Suggestions on "how to improve the Hershey experience" are good and necessay, but there seems to be a creaping selfishness--an attitude of "it is really all about ME and what I want".

Most of you here are old enough to remember the saying I was raised with--" Live, and let live"--I am free to make my choices and you are free to make yours.   So what if there are 50 spaces with parked cars and no parts--there are THOUSANDS of more spaces- and you probably still won't see everything every vendor has for sale.  Stay positive, please.

My first Hershey was also 1965--a high school friend and his father invited me to tag along.  I didn't know what I was in for!  Being typical self-centered teens, my friend and i were absent-mindedly walking in the middle of a roadway when a Boat-Tailed Auburn Speedster silently crept up behind us and when we didn't moved, the driver leaned on the horn.  We nearly jumped out of our skin.

Hershey is a great experience, 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2023 at 8:32 PM, pkhammer said:

There is no "black" field on the map, the above poster is referring to the Chocolate fields (north and south). It would be a shame to miss the Chocolate fields as they are in the heart of the swap meet and there are always lots of goodies to be found. 

Wear the most comfortable shoes you have, take breaks often and soak your feet at night if you need to, but don't rush through any of it or you may miss some great stuff! 

Take breaks often???? Hell, at my age if I stop for more than three minutes I can barely get back up again! I now walk and eat because the last time I sat on the grass I literally needed help to get up. We try and walk EVERY row, every year. With so many empty and motor homes now it’s much easier than just ten years ago. We make the best of it. My Hershey memories now go back well over fifty years………I have never, ever had a bad day at Hershey. So many fond memories of family and friends now long gone but not forgotten. I really miss the genuine eccentrics and characters that we would see……..some now that are so politically incorrect that just mentioning them and their unusual affectations would get me banned for life here. The guy with the whacked out hat and cart walking around with the toilet seat around his neck that I still see each year brings me joy to no end. We have a fast chat and go on our way…..I must admit we raised hell there on the fields as teenagers. Don’t regret a second of it.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Take breaks often???? Hell, at my age if I stop for more than three minutes I can barely get back up again!

Falling down because of too much Crown consumption doesn't count Ed. Weave and stagger your way over to C4Y 1-2 (right across from Bricker's Fries) and say hello. That goes for any of you here on the forum. We'll have a place to sit in the shade and cold drinks. I'll even help you back up if needed.

Edited by pkhammer
mispelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You guys have got me thinking--and remembering.  It has been many years since I last saw what I thought was the best flea market cart ever.  It was a powered cart; might have been built from a little red wagon.  The clever part was how it was powered---I think it had a small washing machine gas motor and the throttle was linked to the handle of the wagon .  The handle could telescope a few inches, so when he wanted to go, the telescoping handle opened the throttle, when it stopped, the telescoping handle closed the throttle.  He has geared the thing to move at his walking speed,  I can't even say when i last saw it.  That cart belongs somewhere in a " Hershey" museum.