Hershey thoughts

lhend50

I attended Hershey meets from 1979-2008 without missing a year. Since 2008 I have only been able to go 3 times. This year I decided to go out on Tues and Wednesday. Just got back home a couple of hrs ago, so I had plenty of driving time to think about all the differences between my earlier visits and this last visit. I also vended several years back in the 80's. My impression after this year is things need to change. Yesterday, I walked 12 miles, covered much of the flea market, but not all. Frankly, many rows were not worth walking down. Empty spaces and way too many spaces being used simply for parking. It is time to reduce the size of the flea market, since most of it is not being used to sell anything, just simply as a parking lot. When I vended long ago, you could not just park in your space, you needed to sell parts or you were gone. I don't know how many spaces the AACA makes available or how many were actually sold, but, I think the time has come to reduce the number of spaces available and enforce a sell parts, or get out of the space policy. I enjoyed my time there, but, most likely it will be my last trip. 

• Like 6

I agree.  It seems like people set out a few items and are gone for the day with no intention of selling. I don't know the answer  Put a lot of miles in walking these last two days.  Dodging scooters and golf carts and I never saw so many cars/rucks driving through the meet as this year. Did find some good scores though.

Final thought. While I will gladly pay $20 for parking each day, charging me an extra 20 for my trailer seems a bit excessive. Not like there so a limit on parking in that huge field.  $40 a day for me to park. Ouch. Oh well, won't stop me from coming with a trailer again next year. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, erichill said:

I agree.  It seems like people set out a few items and are gone for the day with no intention of selling. I don't know the answer  Put a lot of miles in walking these last two days.  Dodging scooters and golf carts and I never saw so many cars/rucks driving through the meet as this year. Did find some good scores though.

Final thought. While I will gladly pay $20 for parking each day, charging me an extra 20 for my trailer seems a bit excessive. Not like there so a limit on parking in that huge field.  $40 a day for me to park. Ouch. Oh well, won't stop me from coming with a trailer again next year. 

Well,  I will never say I will never go again, but it's unlikely.  I  drove past the field that use to be just trailer parking, its no longer used. You use to pay a reasonable fee and just leave it there.  Everything I  bought I  could have ordered online, in fact steel rubber products is shipping every thing I  ordered,  since some where special order. However,  if you are looking for a prewar car, its the place to go.

This was my first time going and I was disappointed with the number of open spaces and no one around to sell. The parked cars were another surprise. My biggest complaint would be regarding handicap parking. The lot was packed when I got there. I thought I found a spot twice, only to see a generator for the camper next to it taking up a whole spot. I finally found a place by moving two light pole trailers wide enough apart to put the 38 in the spot. It stuck out in the drive a foot or so but it was parked. I’m a disabled vet that also messed up my back using my head as a battering ram playing football thru college. I’ve got braces on both legs and use a cane. I was amazed at seeing the number of young healthy looking people sitting around talking or walking from their car into the swap market. How do they get into a handicap parking lot? I displayed my permit from the state and the guy that took my money replied “Looks like you really are handicapped good luck finding  a space” if that was the case why take my $$. 
I did enjoy meeting Walt & Trevor along with chatting with George ( the Studebaker guru) and just trying to find a number of other forum friends. I walked way to far on these old legs but it was worth it. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hershey will always be an enigma. People love to complain about it; and can’t wait to come back. The Region works incredibly hard so you can enjoy your 1-5 days here. They will keep doing it as long as their landlord permits; and maybe somewhere else in the unlikely event the landlord does not. In the end, it’s the fellowship that people come for; and that won’t change. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, greenie said:

Hershey will always be an enigma. People love to complain about it; and can’t wait to come back. The Region works incredibly hard so you can enjoy your 1-5 days here. They will keep doing it as long as their landlord permits; and maybe somewhere else in the unlikely event the landlord does not. In the end, it’s the fellowship that people come for; and that won’t change. 

I appreciate what is done. I walked through rain, mud and miserable conditions for years. It was worth it because, when I  walked a row, I  walked a row of vendors,  that is no longer the case. Not anyone's fault, just a fact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lhend50 said:

I appreciate what is done. I walked through rain, mud and miserable conditions for years. It was worth it because, when I  walked a row, I  walked a row of vendors,  that is no longer the case. Not anyone's fault, just a fact.

I agree,from my space on the Green field I could look in one direction and see six vendors and twenty parked cars and trucks.  There aren’t as many vendors, and there sure aren’t the crowds one saw at Hershey in days gone by.  I remember looking down rows and wondering how I’d get through the mass of people…now you find rows you could fire a shotgun down and not worry about anyone being hit…

• Like 1

As I’ve said before this is my first Hershey experience. I had a great time. The handicap parking problem/hassle/misuse was an inconvenience but certainly didn’t lessen my enjoyment of being there. It’s become a common problem no matter where you go. I guess it was a bit of surprise in this particular event as I’ve experienced nothing but kind respectful people in the old car world. It surprised me to see that lack of consideration for people that need to avail themselves of this service.  
Again I completely  enjoyed my first Hershey and I’m looking forward to seeing more forum friends tomorrow at the show.
dave s  

I thought the same about the scarcity of vendors when I was there Wednesday.  Always looked down a road and made a decision on whether it was worth going down.  My last time at the swap meet was around 2000.  Much different and went home with nothing this year. This hobby like many of my hobbies seem to be contracting. :(

Maybe if we all rent spaces and bring all the car stuff we have, we can recapture some of the past?

This was 53 in a row for me, and I think I've been a vendor for at lest 50, need to check to be sure. Missed our favorite food vendor for the second year, they were just across the isle, great family, everyone missed them and asked why they and others are now history. Sold stuff, the largest lump is off to New Zealand. Found some GREAT Model T Ford Speed Equipment. Missed seeing a lot of once a year friends due to the rain. We got a rainbow Wednesday. Thanks to everyone that made the event happen! Bob 

DSCF7540.JPG

DSCF7539.JPG

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Context matters. I can't blame a vendor for not wanting to setup with 3 days of rain in a row. If you don't get setup on Monday, it is really challenging to get to your spot if you're driving anything of size. I can understand someone staying home and saving on expenses vs being there for 3 days with crap weather which limits customers. Today the weather was great and it was very busy. A lot of new vendors came in today. 

12 hours ago, lhend50 said:

Completely Agree! 

I want to see Hershey succeed for years to come.  I currently vend at Carlisle and been debating at vending at Hershey next year. 

Unfortunately, the only thing certain in life is change  

My food for thought:

-While I don't have all the profit numbers, the week needs to be shortened.  Wednesday is setup day.  Nobody allowed on site beforehand, this will also push the vendors to stay setup on Friday and still be out by 10pm that night.   People have fear of missing out, if you let people set up 2 weeks before, there will still be people there. 

-Chocolate and Red Fields become primary reserved vendor spaces.  Create an online reservation system that shows the open spots and allows you to reserve at the same time.  Strict policy of items need to be out for sale and only one support vehicle and trailer per person. You can still have items for sale in front of support vehicles 

-Red field south of stadium is eliminated for more handicap parking-  might have only been 10 vendors down there. 

- Green Field in front of the stadium- Day of show, non-reserved vendors- park in line as you arrive, need to charge more of premium to prevent people to try to just use for parking.  

-Green Field West and Orange Field- Reserved Parking and Camping 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lhend50 said:

I attended Hershey meets from 1979-2008 without missing a year. Since 2008 I have only been able to go 3 times. This year I decided to go out on Tues and Wednesday. Just got back home a couple of hrs ago, so I had plenty of driving time to think about all the differences between my earlier visits and this last visit. I also vended several years back in the 80's. My impression after this year is things need to change. Yesterday, I walked 12 miles, covered much of the flea market, but not all. Frankly, many rows were not worth walking down. Empty spaces and way too many spaces being used simply for parking. It is time to reduce the size of the flea market, since most of it is not being used to sell anything, just simply as a parking lot. When I vended long ago, you could not just park in your space, you needed to sell parts or you were gone. I don't know how many spaces the AACA makes available or how many were actually sold, but, I think the time has come to reduce the number of spaces available and enforce a sell parts, or get out of the space policy. I enjoyed my time there, but, most likely it will be my last trip. 

My last time was in 2019...haven't been back. I used to go every year. I agree with everything you said. I was thinking of going this year, but a friend called from the field and suggested not to bother.

7 hours ago, timmy25252 said:

Completely Agree! 

I want to see Hershey succeed for years to come.  I currently vend at Carlisle and been debating at vending at Hershey next year. 

Unfortunately, the only thing certain in life is change  

My food for thought:

-While I don't have all the profit numbers, the week needs to be shortened.  Wednesday is setup day.  Nobody allowed on site beforehand, this will also push the vendors to stay setup on Friday and still be out by 10pm that night.   People have fear of missing out, if you let people set up 2 weeks before, there will still be people there. 

-Chocolate and Red Fields become primary reserved vendor spaces.  Create an online reservation system that shows the open spots and allows you to reserve at the same time.  Strict policy of items need to be out for sale and only one support vehicle and trailer per person. You can still have items for sale in front of support vehicles 

-Red field south of stadium is eliminated for more handicap parking-  might have only been 10 vendors down there. 

- Green Field in front of the stadium- Day of show, non-reserved vendors- park in line as you arrive, need to charge more of premium to prevent people to try to just use for parking.  

-Green Field West and Orange Field- Reserved Parking and Camping 

What is a "reserved vendor " after 53 years I don't think I know. 

40 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

A vendor who has a reserved assigned spot, prepaid in advanced. Ability to have the same spot year over year. A vendor who has spots kept specially for that particular person.  Have to be paid by a certain date or is open to the general public/waiting list to reserve the spot for their use.

Does that clarify?

Edited by timmy25252 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

He said “primary reserved vendor spaces” or, in my opinion, first to be filled vendor spaces by those requesting vendor spaces.  Sounds like his suggestion is trying to consolidate spaces to eliminate empty spaces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timmy25252 said:

A vendor who has a reserved assigned spot, prepaid in advanced. Ability to have the same spot year over year. A vendor who has spots kept specially for that particular person.  Have to be paid by a certain date or is open to the general public/waiting list to reserve the spot for their use.

Does that clarify?

In AACA that is EVERYONE. Pay in January show up in October. 

I just got home! We had two trailer loads of mostly pre-war parts there and had a good but very tiring week. Hershey is great, and I am thankful for the AACA and the volunteers that make this event possible. I must agree with some of the comments here however. We set up on Monday and endured the next two days of rain but made decent sales. When the sun came our Thursday I decided to get out a little and see what others had for sale and make a few deliveries. I can only say I was shocked at the empty spaces. I went down row after row that had dozens of empty spaces! I cannot figure that out. I hear that the flea market spaces sell out every year. Do 30% of the vendors just not show up and another 20% just buy spaces to park in? The south Red field was a ghost town. I don't know what the answer is but I do know it needs to be dealt with. The issue with handicapped parking mentioned above is also of concern. I am not handicapped but I know that the the face of the hobby is aging and there is a real need to make a parking space and a scooter easy to get both for those that need it while keeping those out that don't need it.

In just the past 10 years I have witnessed these things happening and every year it seems a bit worse. I know these are easy things to say but not easy to fix. I am concerned with the future of this swap meet however if something isn't done. If the next 10 years continue like the past 10 I'd hate to see what it will be like.

• Like 2

I have only missed Hershey 2 times since 1986.  I setup my tents on Monday cold and nasty.  Went back on Tuesday spent most of the day in the truck.  Wednesday finally opened up at 10 and had great sales until 4PM.  Thursday was pretty much a flat day but did OK till Noon.  Paid my $360 dollars for 4 spaces and my Airbnb was close to $900 dollars. My spaces are at the corner entering the orange field near the handicap parking and I get to see all the so-called handicaps.  Maybe Hershey Region can rent a tram and bring the Handicaps in from the parking lots?  I'm 73 and have a bad hip and push myself to walk a few rows but still manage to get thru it.  All these Golf Carts are a JOKE. The only complaint I have is I miss the pizza Man for party's at night with friends. Hershey was great.

1 hour ago, timmy25252 said:

Does that clarify?

That's how it's done now. I love my GREEN FIELD spots!!!

Terry (Hershey since 1970).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

In AACA that is EVERYONE. Pay in January show up in October. 

I'm not disagreeing that it is that way but you can tell by walking the swap meet that too many people are not using the space properly or just not showing up!

As mentioned above, $360 for 4 spots or $90 a spot.  So if you attend multiple days at $20 parking per day, why not just buy a spot to park in if not being enforced.

33 minutes ago, timmy25252 said:

I'm not disagreeing that it is that way but you can tell by walking the swap meet that too many people are not using the space properly or just not showing up!

As mentioned above, $360 for 4 spots or $90 a spot.  So if you attend multiple days at $20 parking per day, why not just buy a spot to park in if not being enforced.

Why don't you just ask the people in Fla why they did not attend?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, timmy25252 said:

You need a AACA Membership at $45 and a Pa Tax number and fill twice a year.  I doubt if most who attend have a membership. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

Why don't you just ask the people in Fla why they did not attend?

I'm sure some FL residents didn't attend and counted towards some of the empty spaces.  Hopefully next year we see an improvement but it's been getting worst year over year.  

26 minutes ago, Reicholzheimer said:

You need a AACA Membership at $45 and a Pa Tax number and fill twice a year.  I doubt if most who attend have a membership. 

I'm referring to the vehicles that are currently parked in the fields without items for sale and nobody nearby.  Or a canopy set up with just a few people sitting underneath or the container that was in 2 spaces just for items to be loaded in.

I know you all feel like I am attacking an event you been attending for longer than I have been alive but I would like to attend Hershey as long as you all have but if changes aren't made, It might be harder to bring in a new demographic to keep the event and hobby alive.  

• Like 1

My first Hershey was a ball! 
Thank you to all the volunteers, staff and management for the long hours it takes and the dedication to do things right for an event like this. You did a very successful job and it is appreciated by a first timer. 
Thank you all. 
dave s 

• Like 5

I flew from Texas for the second time; walked all day every day even on Tuesday and bought a few things every day.  Shipped everything via UPS on Thursday afternoon.  There is no other spectacle like Hershey especially for prewar and away from the east and northeast portions of the country.  Yes a huge number of spaces seem to be filled by RVs and other camping trailers.  But if vendors aren’t allowed to park their overnight accommodations next to their merchandise I’m not sure they would even attend.  I can’t imagine any vendor is getting rich by coming to Hershey and setting up for three days.    I know it’s not what it once was but that is more than likely due to the ability to sell on the internet.  I appreciate all those who do come and I’ll be back.  Thank you vendors!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kar3516 said:

I flew from Texas for the second time; walked all day every day even on Tuesday and bought a few things every day.  Shipped everything via UPS on Thursday afternoon.  There is no other spectacle like Hershey especially for prewar and away from the east and northeast portions of the country.  Yes a huge number of spaces seem to be filled by RVs and other camping trailers.  But if vendors aren’t allowed to park their overnight accommodations next to their merchandise I’m not sure they would even attend.  I can’t imagine any vendor is getting rich by coming to Hershey and setting up for three days.    I know it’s not what it once was but that is more than likely due to the ability to sell on the internet.  I appreciate all those who do come and I’ll be back.  Thank you vendors!

I made this original post, because, I fear the show will die if changes are not made. There have been huge improvements made since my first Hershey in 1979. It's now on pavement, no more mud. The car corral is easy to walk and see vehicles. However, for vendors, being in a row where only a few people have items for sale is not good. At the end of the day on Wednesday, after walking 10 miles, I entered the red field. I got to the point where I simply looked down a row, if 50% of the spaces were empty, I moved on. That is not  good for vending. I vended with a couple of friends in the 80's, we usually got 4 spaces, parked two cars in two of them, however, we had parts for sale in front of those vehicles and in my case, my pickup was full of parts. This simply is not the case anymore. You are absolutely correct, for prewar cars there is nothing like Hershey. I hope it gets reorganized, It will be a huge job to do so, and  perhaps, not financially viable for the AACA, since fewer spaces for sales, means less money. People who have only attended Hershey for the last few years really have no idea what it use to be. They see how large the show is, but, imagine what it was like when the size was the same and every space had parts for sale. 

I will preface my remarks with the fact that I am dealing with the death of our librarian and our former President Earl Beauchamp who passed away yesterday.  Not in the greatest of moods. 

This will be brief.  All the spaces were sold.  The Region has no idea who will actually show up but there has been a little issue with COVID, Monkeypox, higher gas prices, and a little weather issue call a hurricane which prevented many from attending.  Yet, despite all of this and the fear of rain we had a great show.  I am afraid this world will always find the glass half empty.  It turned out to be a glorious week overall with fantastic weather at the end.  Plus the vendors, for the most part, stayed on Thursday and more were here Friday than any day in the 19 years I have been here.  The doom of smaller crowds for Friday was WAY off as we had a massive crowd and record food vendor sales.  It turned out to be a great Hershey once again despite the setbacks.

Everyone has a right to complain, to criticize (constructive or not) but most have zero idea of the difficulties the region has putting this event on.  What may seem simple to many is not.  The field will tighten up next year due to some lost space in Red field next year.

Oh and who ever the idiots, yes, I said that as I am tired of people spreading unbelievably stupid and damaging rumors that Hershey has been sold to Musk, to China, To Disney or that we are moving the meet to Ohio or Bora Bora!  How many times do we have to put in print, proclaim on loudspeakers or tell people that Hershey is here to stay.  End of story.  Repeating this crap only causes harm....please put an end to it if you hear someone uttering this totally baseless nonsense. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Since I started in 1971……….I shall opine:

Hershey has always been evolving. I expect it will continue to do so. You can point to a dozen variables that affect it each year……..

Pennsylvania weather- cold,rain,wind

Hurricane threats- before,during,after. Like this year where many couldn’t get out from Ian.

On line & Ebay- just the modern world changing things.

Age of membership as it applies to pre war cars.

Costs- Time off, hotels, fuel,food, it’s VERY expensive to vend as a parts business.

Mobility issues of older members……

Covid broke the routine of “every year” attendance and many took it as an excuse to give it up.

You can probably list six more………

Were things different this year? Yes………we’re the changes more obvious than normal? Yes.

Were there more empty spaces, and spaces used for parking than in the past, yes.

Did I actually not walk some rows due to empty/no vendors……YES. A first for me.

Did I see it all? Yes, but it only took two days of moderate pounding instead of three and a half of flat out pushing. 

Too much tag sale junk! 

I will be back next year. Found a few trinkets but really didn’t need anything this year. Enjoyed myself, and visiting with countless friends.

Can the fall meet continue? Absolutely. Will it change and evolve?  Yes. Will I continue to attend? YES! Can they control the spaces better to make more vending and less parking? Probably impossible to manage effectively. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 10

OK- I will complain about one issue…….the food vendors seemed diminished. Less choice, longer lines, none in the middle of the fields. Since I’m on a diet since Pebble (down 20) and have more to go  I did almost no on the field food purchases.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, edinmass said:

OK- I will complain about one issue…….the food vendors seemed diminished. Less choice, longer lines, none in the middle of the fields. Since I’m on a diet since Pebble (down 20) and have more to go  I did almost no on the field food purchases.

I noticed this also.

I also noticed that I was behind you in the buffet line at the Stutz Club dinner. And I had to wait for them to refill the pans.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

We had a great Hershey, lots of sales and great visiting with old and new friends (a really big driver for us to come to Hershey, as at this point I’m not looking to buy much of anything).

What I don’t understand is Tuesday, yes, cool and wet, but in the past this didn’t stop vendors and buyers IN THE MUD!

And vendors not open, dont you know to bring a canopy of some kind?  All that money and travel and you don’t set up?  Don’t get it….

We opened on Tuesday, with the aid of a canopy and strategically placed tarps, and had a GREAT day selling, into four figures.  As one fellow said, not a ton of people braving the weather, but those that were walking in the rain Tuesday were hungry for stuff, wanted to buy, and had money in their pockets.

Oh well, still a great experience.  I do agree more vendors open on show day than previous years.

• Like 2

I normally defend Hershey and shall again, In a day or two once unpacked, I will give a breakdown of costs to come to Hershey including both my wife and I having a bad cold only Intensified from Three days of bad weather and getting up every hour with brooms to push the sacks of rain out of the tent, I dare to say there are not many vendors who have the diversity of Antique car parts between me and my brothers 10 spaces I first came in 64 as a 5 year old and every year after with Dad till entering the Marines then 15 years with USCS Air Interdiction drug program all over south America my dad sold 52 years straight till his passing in 2012 me and my brother continue the haul why cause we love it, but its almost not worth it when almost every customer who stops by and sees officials with spaces no parts they look down our row and together we have 18-19k lbs. of parts from Colorado and Tenn. You add up that idiots high fuel costs , spaces, food , our day starts at 5:30 and usually we get cleaned up to sleep in the trailer around 8:45 everyday  each year I organize to make the load and unload easier Friday it took with 16 year Granddaughter helping 7 hours to teardown and stack and get tonque weight just to drive home on stinking I 81 in Friday afternoon Traffic oh yeah hotel cost coming up day before so we can erect canopies , appreciate the volunteers but tired of hearing about them and the car show, please start Enforcing these rules or I will bail and sell on line, here is a picture of the beautiful only sell day this year Thurs with a few customers. Our Sales down 40-45% Obviously Rain but other factors as well I agree and I love it buy its a lot of work only to walk up on mutiple RV’s with three parts or vendors with all toys yet plenty of my friends cant get 4-5 spots to bring trailers of parts Figure it out soon also first time saw a coupe riding around hot rod I thought we were about preservation????

Enforce the rules !

10 spots of 750 lbs of door handles bumpers fenders trannys wheels of 1912-1960

will get back with breakdown later in week of current expense

Cheers! Still had a good time seeing Friends and old customers

C3CC85C7-6EEA-4958-A836-E3CB28DBB84E.jpeg

• Like 3