Dang Em, Dang Em, Get a rope and hang Em.

Dandy Dave

So, I've been working at this 1936 Oldsmobile for a friend for quite some time. Getting close to getting the engine in. The shop that is doing the body work got a little ruff with it and broke the transmission top where the shifter and small parts fit. GGGgggrrrrrrrr. Brings out the tiger in me. Rough and ready cowboys. In the days of the old West they would have been hung at dawn by Judge Roy Bean. Project set back again. It is bad enough locating parts and restoring stuff for one of these 85 plus year old autos the first time. And now here I go again. I have contemplated welding it, or brazing it, and then re-machining it, but that will result in distorting the casting and it will never be as strong as the original casting. I'm sure many of you have been in similar circumstance's and feel my pain. I put a cry for HELP in the parts wanted section. That seems like the easiest route. Someone must have one on a shelf collecting dust somewhere. It fits 1932- 1936, 6 or 8 cylinder. Dandy Dave! 

IMG_3366.JPG.1dca0edc67334f41ea1152b0699e88d2.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

I suggest you increase your options by finding what other vehicles used that same transmission...

Good Luck...

Looking around the web it looks like Buick and Pontiac around the same vintage also shared the same transmission top. Thanks for the heads up. Dandy Dave! 

• Like 2

Dave if someone has this book it might help?  I don’t have one but a friend did. He’s passed so I can’t call him for you. I remember it had a lot of good info but I don’t know specifics on the transmission of course. 

“Chevy GM Parts Interchange Part Number Reference Guide Book Catalog 1929 - 1952

dave s 

Edited by SC38dls
Spellings (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I think you are on the right path: Getting a replacement will be your very best option. However, I would pursue a parallel path of looking into the state of the art of welding cast iron. I believe that the state of the art is such that your part could be successfully welded if you find the right expertise.

At any rate, good luck, and condolences. That should never have happened.

Phil

Not sure what the underside looks like, but from the top it seems that your local fab shop could make a substitute from a steel plate and a short length of rectangular tubing.  

• Like 2

THEY made the negligent mistake.  You should not

have to pay for it.  They should have insurance.

Let them machine a replacement, and it will be at

least as good as the original.

You can be nice but firm.  Never accept excuses.

A conscientious shop owner should be happy to

take responsibility for his mistake if he's treated

respectfully.  And when the situation is handled

tactfully, you can still remain friends.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Find a competent TIG welder and have him weld it. I don't know why people make such a big deal when they hear "cast iron". Pre-heat, high quality nickel wire and allow the part to cool slowly.

• Like 1

I would not hesitate to weld or braze that part. Both Nickel and bronze have comparable strength to cast iron. 

As John stated above it isn't really your problem. The body shop is responsible for the repair and they should see to it being taken care of. It's nice of you to step in for them. 

5 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

The shop that is doing the body work got a little ruff with it and broke the transmission top where the shifter and small parts fit.

They weren't by some chance trying to put one of those NORS small parts kits from ebay were they?

3 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Not a lot of strain on that part. I'm guessing stitching would work just fine and no chance of distortion. Likely about a $200 stitch job......Bob

I was about to make the same "Stitch" suggestion when I noted Bhigdog's comment-

surely a reasonable alternative

• Like 1

What on earth makes you guys think this is a low stress area? Quite the opposite.

24 minutes ago, JFranklin said:

?

There is another thread about this. This car had the transmission top but was missing the shift lever and all the associated parts. These parts are relatively common thanks to the Buick Special, but for some reason, Murphy possibly to blame, when you need them nobody seems to have them.

Well, I say the parts are relatively common, and they are, with the caveat that the small parts in the tower that attach the lever to the top are always extremely worn out. Mine (36 Pontiac) were completely shot. The only source of new parts that I was able to find were some aftermarket ones on ebay that were specified to fit, but once I had them in my hand didn't quite work with my shift lever. Apparently either the parts are mis-made, or there is more than one possible pivot pin size in the lever itself depending on make/model/year or something. I suspect the latter. The parts are close, and with some modifications work rather nice, but if someone tried to cram them in there as-is, it might break the tower. I don't know if that is what happened, but even if not, I know @Dandy Dave had trouble finding the lever despite it (or at least a close Buick one) being a common thing, and If I were him I would be banging my head against the wall right now.

But, never mind all that. Let's find him a transmission top. 36-37-38 Buick Special (40) should fit. Surely someone must have that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

What on earth makes you guys think this is a low stress area? Quite the opposite.

Because the cross shaft is mainly stressed fore and aft and it appears half of the broken "bearing" is intact. When the top half of the broken "bearing" is in place it's main function will be to keep the shaft from climbing up. The up force should be minimal.

Looking closer at the cover, and assuming the broken off piece is in one piece, I would clamp the pieces together and drill and tap from top down. The broken grains will make for perfect alignment. I'm guessing there is room for at least two 10-32 cap screws per side or even 12-24's.

A number of ways to skin this cat. Repairing it would be the quickest, cheapest, and by far the most fun............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Right. If something broke like that when I had my shop I would have made the customer whole. Out of my pocket or through my garage keepers insurance.

• Like 2

I thought about that problem a little more this morning. I would probably look for a small foundry that would use the old one for a sand mold and cast a couple of new ones. There should be a shop somewhere around Hudson. Just gluing the broken parts back on would be fine for a mold.

If you have a trophy shop nearby they might lead you to a non-ferrous shop with a small induction furnace to make one out of aluminum or brass.

I see a few options. Even two steel straps with trunion towers and a tin cover could do it.

If you meet the guy with the Zen One license plate ask him about a couple of novel repairs I worked out on that car.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bloo said:

They weren't by some chance trying to put one of those NORS small parts kits from ebay were they?

No. The entire engine assembly is on a cart with casters. They decided to move it with the shifter handle. Stupid move.

• Haha 1

I have the capability to weld or braze it myself. In fact I could put it back together by welding it with rod that is cast iron but the heat will distort it to a degree. And then I have the capability to machine it also. Easier to just find another one and be done with it as doing that is time consuming. I will if that is my last resort. I'm sure there is one out there. Dandy Dave!    

• Like 1

23 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

You can be nice but firm.  Never accept excuses.

A conscientious shop owner should be happy to

take responsibility for his mistake if he's treated

respectfully.  And when the situation is handled

tactfully, you can still remain friends.

Agree. Problem is the car is not mine and I have been handed the problem. Looking for the easiest path to get it done and not rock the boat to much. Dandy Dave. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

Looking for the easiest path to get it done and not rock the boat to much. 

Dave, may I respectfully say, this is not a time

to go wobbly.  You're not rocking a boat by

calm steadfastness.  Do what's right, and let the

shop do what's right.  That means they need to fix it,

or pay for its replacement.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

They decided to move it with the shifter handle. Stupid move

Sounds like something I saw on TV. Did the monkey pushing  break the handle when someone threw a rubber snake at him. I remember seeing that one on one of the stupider shows.

I am not much for retribution for damage by others. Imagine there being a big light switch. You turn around, walk away, and flip off the switch.

I am up here in Seneca country. When I was fairly young I heard someone say "Treat a man as a brother until he proves himself unworthy. If he does ignore him." Kind of stuck with me over the years. Can't say it hasn't worked well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

Dave:

If you are sure this top would be the same as a 1937 Buick 40 series then I should have one kicking around. I will rummage around in the garage and check.

Larry

Yeah. Look around Larry. From what I have read the top casting is the same. The shift stick is bent different but that won't matter. Nothing wrong with the shift stick I have.