Youngman into antique automobiles

They are out there Laser.  Do you have any specific areas of interest?

I had a T speedster project for a while, and would say half the people I crossed paths with doing similar projects were between 25 and 35.  The guy who does work on my A here in CT, a pro engine builder, mechanical component restorer is around 32, and I know a ypung fellow around 32 who is building a nice following selling antique cars as well.  Glad to have you aboard! 👍😊

The antique automobile hobby is widespread, and appeals to many different kinds of people. Those of us that have been in this hobby for a long time (I started joining antique automobile clubs when I was fifteen, almost 55 years ago), wish a lot more younger people would get involved. And most longtime hobbyists will be welcoming and offer as much advice as you may want.

Whether your interests are the real early stuff (like me!), or the great classics of the pre WW2 era? Or if your interests are the 1950s, or muscle cars? Or even the newer stuff that many people are interested in? This is the best place to begin getting connected. This forum has dozens of sub-forums addressing all the various areas and eras of automobile history!

Letting us know your areas of interest will help connect you to the best advice.

And yes, there are quite a few people in their 20s, and even teenagers, working on their first antique automobiles. On another forum (specializing in model T Fords), there are a few teenagers being helped and posted about their first repairs, their first drives, and one just recently attended his first club tour! (In his model T that he fixed!)

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, nick8086 said:

My son is in his 20s..

Here a pick of him at age 5 driving his kaiser..

tank2.jpg

n4.JPG

Best part is, you still have the same Kaiser for him to enjoy.  It would have been a part of his life the entire time.

Craig

In my mine I'm 25 but the body has 3 times the experience and shows it.  Most car guys/gals feel that way.  My Studebaker is 83 and should outlast me. Stick around, ask questions, tell us what you are interested in, post pictures (we love pics), you will find a lot of characters on here but most of all have fun.  There are young people here and we welcome anyone regardless of age, gender or anything else you can think of as long as they are into old iron. You will get to know some very nice people and build lasting friendships - most of us have had that great experience.

Have fun and welcome.

dave s 

• Like 3

Welcome Laser!  Did you ever come to the right place!  We'll all standing by to impart all the knowledge your automotive curiosity encompasses.  Whether its mechanical, body coachbuilders, designs, company histories, basic how-to methods, and more, its all here!   Barrage away with any and all questions that arise.  The only dumb questions are those that haven't been ask, don't hold back any.   And, as mentioned, you will make friendships that are a major benefit of participation.  

13 hours ago, constructionlaser said:

Hi everyone, I’m 26 and I wonder if there are people’s my age in this community? I guess I would fall into the minority. Anyway, this passion is real and although I’m quite new to this forum, I'm still hoping that I can learn and share my knowledge with you all. Cheers!

While I know few teen and twenty something vintage car hobbyists/enthusiasts, I myself got into it in my mid-teens (and never looked back) and most of my friends at the time were into them too, but that all occurred in Europe 40+ years ago. Actually, at the time and the place, it was fairly common hobby for young guys. You know, between drinking, chasing skirts and partying.

Now, decades later, many of the friends I grew up with (in Europe) still play with old cars and some of us even have more than one. Few have 20/30 something kids whom are into them too.

By the time I turned 26, I had already been "professionally" involved with them for few years and mind you, no silver spoons and nothing handed to me in the beginning or along the way.

As for learning, I'm still trying daily and the day I quit trying, I might as well quit working on them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Restorer32 said:

Wish we could find one or two 26 year olds with the talent and desire to restore cars who wanted a job.

I wast talking to a fairly well known restorer yesterday with a decent sized shop.   He was lamenting how hard it was to hire guys.   His skilled old timers are aging out.   Could you imagine the opportunity sitting there for a 20 something that would show up for work on time and smile?   Most of the shops I know would be willing to train that guy.   And then in 10-15 years he would be running the shop.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Perfect timing to join this group, Constructionlaser.

I started to be interested in antique cars as a teenager, and bought my first one at the age of 24. A 1928 Chevy, that I still own.

I have always found prompt support, guidance and mentoring from this AACA forum members, as you certainly will.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Could you imagine the opportunity sitting there for a 20 something that would show up for work on time and smile?

Not quite sure why the generalisation was necessary, we constantly have threads on here about why aren't more young people involved in the hobby and comments like that really aren't helpful. Without going into my career, I can assure you I didn't spend my twenty somethings just showing up for work and smiling which has allowed me to do many things in life already. 

To be honest, it probably has far more to do with the fact you can earn far more elsewhere in better conditions that makes it difficult to find good people. 

Edited by hidden_hunter (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am reminded of all those prompt and smiling employees in their 20's during the 1960's and '70's. The older people praising them for their diligence and encouraging them on how successful and smart they will be as they grew older. Yeah, right.

In 1974, at 26 I already knew the less actual physical work one does the better the pay.

If my career choice had been automotive I wouldn't have owned the cars or enjoyed the hobby as much as I have.

38 minutes ago, hidden_hunter said:

comments like that really aren't helpful.

When I was young I guess you could say "I met the people, and stayed for the cars". I still find myself getting a lot of enjoyment out of cars the auto mavins find unacceptable.

I’m not sure why my comments are offensive?  “Smiling” is a euphemism for “good attitude”. Maybe you have a different set of experiences, but I’m not seeing lots of great attitudes floating around.  I see a lot of kid that have overwhelming college debt and no skills.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I will add, as a blue collar worker, having worked construction for the last 40+ years that not everyone is fit for an office job that is less physical and pays more. 

I started sweeping and picking up trash at 14.  I have owned a company with a couple of dozen employees (If you think car shops are bad, I could write a book about trying to hire someone decent in the construction field) do multi million dollar buildings. Now I am a 2 man shop and could just about not be happier. I will never be able to play in the Dusenburg world but I do have a couple of old cars I worked my butt off for and could not be prouder when I drive around.  

• Like 9

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

I see a lot of kid that have overwhelming college debt and no skills.

Much of blame on that can be attributed to their parents.

Everyone expects (or insists) their kids to go to college. 

OTOH, I’m getting to the point I’d love to find some help for the shop, but know it’s not easy, even around here in SoCal and partially because of my expectations and unusually “charming”(?) personality.

I’ve had few assistants & apprentices over the years, including couple from abroad.

Longest one lasted almost 10 years, very talented and became more so, but eventually couldn’t stand my “personality”. 
Went on to established his own shop, but now works in someone else’s and apparently not too pleased about that either.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 3

It appears that employees, as well as the Department of Labor, expect everything an 1840's slave owner would have provided, but without commitment on the employee's side.

Itemize the expectations of an 8 hour per day, five day a week employee has for themself and their family.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

It appears that employees, as well as the Department of Labor, expect everything an 1840's slave owner would have provided, but without commitment on the employee's side.

Itemize the expectations of an 8 hour per day, five day a week employee has for themself and their family.

Not sure if your question is directed at me, but if it is, I must respectfully decline to answer, as such details would likely spark political commentary or debate.

Besides, my aforementioned “expectations” aren’t as much financially motivated as they are about person’s ability and willingness to do everything (obviously, within reason and their skill level) in the shop, be it custodial/janitorial duties or … ?

I also consider having good (work-) ethics and ability/willingness to learn/grow, along with reasonably strong interest of this field quite important.

I wouldn’t need or even want someone who’s priority is to have just any job and is ready to jump ship at first perceived opportunity (been there, tried that) or someone who thinks they know enough or everything already (yeah, seen some of those too).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert G. Smits said:

…, otherwise we are just talking to ourselves.

But isn’t that what these forums/platforms are designed and intended for ?

And perhaps OP has other, more pressing things in his daily life than monitor or reply to topics at the pace afforded to those with more free time on their hands.

Even if these types of forums would’ve been available when I was 26, I probably wouldn’t have had time for any of them. 
Heck, back then I didn’t have time (nor interest) to watch TV.
Just started doing some of it in last couple of years, but no news, sports or such.
No need or time for brain damage. 

3 hours ago, imperialover said:

I am 29 and sold the older car I had and am saving money for a new older car.

What did you sell and what are you currently looking to buy?

Have a pics of the one you sold?

People in their 20s have ALWAYS been in a minority. I started when I was 19...here I am about 3 weeks before my 21st birthday with my freshly acquired 29 Rolls Royce...

S193FR-2.jpg

[EDIT] I should add that I have a rope in my hands...we towed it home on a rope down route 95 through the center of Providence RI. To say it was a hair raising ride would be a gross understatement! I didn't know anyone with a trailer.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

People in their 20s have ALWAYS been in a minority. I started when I was 19...here I am about 3 weeks before my 21st birthday with my freshly acquired 29 Rolls Royce...

S193FR-2.jpg

That’s a very nobel start indeed, JV Puleo!

I dont know if i am a younger person these days at 33, but i have had , and worked on, cars that were older than me since i was about 22 or so. Aside from my new'ish daily driver, the current projects range from the mid 1980s to the late 1930s, and i have a little shop to work on my own personal projects as well as other's cars. currently with 4 on going projects and another 1 that just went to paint. 

Edited by Stooge (see edit history)

It seems today great opportunity awaits the younger tradesman whether they go into automotive or something else.  I think the 26 year old "kid" across the street who went into HVAC and just bought a house with a three car garage would agree.  He is out earning his degreed sister and well educated mother, who is both happy and confused. 

An anomoly, I don't think so, but I can say he seems to have the attitude thing down pat and it is paying off, as it should.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stooge said:

I dont know if i am a younger person these days at 33, but i have had , and worked on, cars that were older than me since i was about 22 or so. Aside from my new'ish daily driver, the current projects range from the mid 1980s to the late 1930s, and i have a little shop to work on my own personal projects as well as other's cars. currently with 4 on going projects and another 1 that just went to paint. 

Advantage of being on younger end of the hobby - LOTS of energy!!  😁👍

• Like 3

Last visited July 15, same day he registered.  Good or bad, lots of forum, social media options out there.  Always nice to add new blood, but admittedly I have dropped off forums, even relating to cars we own, as one has only so much time for this stuff.  Hope he stays interested which is the key thing.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2