Uh oh, I knew this was coming......

Jeff Perkins / Mn

Better make everyone wear those thick non-conductive rubber gloves and shoes- the future is "ELECTRIC" 

Oh- and that's actually back to the future- Detroit Electric and Brush were electric vehicles offered at the turn of the 18-19th century...

Edited by Str8-8-Dave (see edit history)

In the near future with self driving cars it will be like being on an aircraft. You only need the seat belts on starting and stopping on your trip down the expressway. The helmets will deploy like oxygen masks in case of emergency. The only draw back is there will be know one to severe you peanuts and beverage.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Joe in Canada said:

In the near future with self driving cars it will be like being on an aircraft. You only need the seat belts on starting and stopping on your trip down the expressway. The helmets will deploy like oxygen masks in case of emergency. 

Until there is a software failure.  Imagine having that circling little icon like on my computer when there is an emergency or like with ebay when your search ends or the page doesn't come up and it says sorry it's not you it's us. ;) 

• Like 1

The Nanny State will never stop trying to take away your personal choices because they are smarter than you and they know how to run your life better than you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, zepher said:

The Nanny State will never stop trying to take away your personal choices because they are smarter than you and they know how to run your life better than you.

I look at it more as we as a society have to keep figuring out ways to keep very stupid people from killing themselves while being stupid. Collectively, the stupids cost us a lot of money.

This is why we can't have nice things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I'm more concerned with the stupid people killing me.  There's one dude who has eliminated people tailgating him.  He has a "sword" mounted up high on his trailer hitch.  It's hinged so it's only a deterrent when he's driving.  When he parks, he folds it down. 

While we were undoing some of the "idiot proofing" a previous owner had put on a customer's cars, a Kid who worked for me  made the observation,

"Everytime they invent a new way to idiot proof something,... someone goes and invents a better idiot."

Paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I look at it more as we as a society have to keep figuring out ways to keep very stupid people from killing themselves while being stupid. Collectively, the stupids cost us a lot of money.

It would be nice if the only people hurt/killed in an automobile incident were the stupids.  I specifically used the word incident rather than accident because after 40+ years in the funeral/ambulance/coroners services I have never seen a motor vehicle accident.  IMHO an accident is something that is/was totally unavoidable and at random.  Every scene I have been to has been caused by stupid without exception.  I have noticed in recent years some law enforcement officers are starting to call them incidents rather than accidents.

Driving is a privilege not a right.  The driver training and testing should be away more intense.  There should be far heavier penalties for even minor infractions.

One block from our home is a two block long street, the eastern block has no center line and is at least 4 cars wide.  The western block is the same width and has a center line.  Parking is allowed on one side.  While sitting on a bench I have counted 98 out of 100 cars driving over or astraddle the center line.  Generally the ones that stay on their side are the big trucks like waste management or redi-mix trucks.  89 out of 100 drivers are unable to turn onto this street without crossing the center line.

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Injuries and deaths in vehicle collisions are down drastically over the last 10 years despite the total number of miles driven rising drastically.

You can't cover the entire world in bubble wrap.

What do we do next?

Outlaw motorcycles, off road vehicles, swimming pools and anything else that causes injury?

I prefer to not live in a real life version of the movie Equilibrium.

We can't have nice things because people have knee jerk reactions and demand that 'something' be done when some idiot maims or kills themselves.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, zepher said:

What do we do next?

Outlaw motorcycles, off road vehicles, swimming pools and anything else that causes injury?

So then outlaw hot, sharp, etc.

We need to be saved from ourselves.

When they get done with this current civil war (like that will ever happen) they can get back to managing the masses.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Mid-to-late 1970's cars with the big, ugly bumpers hanging off each end come to mind!

Craig

I am not comfortable in a car with out seat belts.  Period.  

Problem with allowing perfect freedom to kill or maim yourself is I end up paying the bill, not the idiot who generally is to much of an idiot to have a job, much less adequate health insurance to cover the head injury caused by failing to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle.  Shouldn't have to try to outlaw stupid, but if we don't, stupid will be even more of a way of life for some people.  

42 minutes ago, Zimm63 said:

I am not comfortable in a car with out seat belts.  Period.  

Problem with allowing perfect freedom to kill or maim yourself is I end up paying the bill, not the idiot who generally is to much of an idiot to have a job, much less adequate health insurance to cover the head injury caused by failing to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle.  Shouldn't have to try to outlaw stupid, but if we don't, stupid will be even more of a way of life for some people.  

While working on his Packard I had an interesting chat with a customer who was a neurosurgeon (retired now) about what the costs do to all our insurance costs from motorcycle head injuries without helmets. It's a near guarantee that with a serious motor cycle accident without a helmet there will be major head damage and it's the most expensive medical part of the body to damage.   

Paul

9 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

You know how to make cars totally safe and eliminate most accidents?

Swords instead of airbags. Just watch how carefully everyone drives with a blade aimed at their chest...

Why does Ralph Nader and a Chevrolet Corvair come to mind???

Although I would never do this today, as a kid I never even thought of wearing a helmet on a motorcycle. That was the 60's. Nova Scotia Canada. Went  1/2 way across the province , 2 of us on a 67 Honda 125 to look at a private stash of 40's and 50's Fords, Canadian Meteors, and a bunch of cool Panhardt's, and other Euro car's we never expected. 

Only one time have I ever thrown a leg over a motorcycle that I didn't have a helmet on.

My eyes watered so much I found a drug store that had clear glasses and wore those until I got back home.

I did not like the feeling of being out there without protection at all.

This was back in the early 80's.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that has ridden thousands and thousands of miles in So Cal and I have never been down on the street.

Been down more times than I can count in the dirt but that's all part of the fun, right?

But the solution to having to pay for someone else's stupidity isn't to further erode everyone else's rights or choices, it's to NOT pay for someone else's stupidity.

Auto insurance policies have clear language that say you are not covered if you are operating while impaired.

Why don't we just add exclusions to various policies where you won't be covered if you do something egregious?

As Ivan Drago said in Rocky IV - 'If he dies, he dies'

• Like 1

Michigan just passed laws a few years ago allowing motorcyclists to ride without a helmet. Lawmakers were lobbied heavily by the insurance companies and got it passed. A biker without a helmet in an accident is much more likely to die from the injuries which is cheaper than providing long term care. Lovely insurance companies showing their true colors again.

-Ron

1 hour ago, SC38DLS said:

It supposedly been found along a river bank but not old Cooper. 

I remember when that money was found.

Me and a couple of buddies jumped in the boat and went there.

It must have been a ways from any roads, but by water we pulled right up on it.

No security to speak of, just a back hoe guy and a helper.

So I got to see the bills laid out on the sand. They made sure we didn't touch it.

I suspect that the authorities (and press) showed up after we left.

It turned out to be only a small percentage of the money.

"Just watch how carefully everyone drives with a blade aimed at their chest.." you realize that collapsible steering columns did not come in until 1968. When I flew my '63 Corvette the only thing that saved me was that I drive reclined & all the way back with my head behind the B pillar.