Beautiful tow truck /fire emergency conversions

bruffsup

This looks like a real professional conversion. 25 years ago there was a circa 1930 Lasalle fire emergency conversion that I unsuccessfully

bid for at a Quebec auction . It too had a really nice professional conversion with a body tag from "Rochester..Body works?"  Sadly the buyer converted it back to a car!

I am a buyer for one of these "trucks"  if there are any left . Hyman had a lovely Packard tow conversion  years ago, nicely done but more amateurish than this beautiful Lincoln.

81680250_10221294558939144_1248417040121724928_o.jpg

• Like 2

It's surprising how many Lincoln sedans ended up as service vehicles or tow trucks. They must have had a reputation for dependability as they aged.  These days it seems like the fork and blade con rod engines are treated with a bit of distrust amongst collectors . Or am I misinformed ? There was a tow truck conversion very similar to the  " Johnson's Garage " vehicle for sale recently in my neck of the woods. A proper tow setup ; Holmes or Weaver  if I recall correctly with jack down stabilisers, but the Lincoln itself was seriously weathered.  And a optimistic price tag at close to $10,000 asking. Caught my attention but I didn't go any further than a bit of pondering. I have often thought it would be useful to have a vintage tow truck .

Greg in Canada

00q0q_h49WBFWdcLP_1200x900.jpg

01616_1cxVJeT1enA_1200x900.jpg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Being a brass era guy I always thought this 1910 - 12 era vehicle had a great look. Not nearly as useful a machine as some of the classic era conversions. Matt that Cadillac towing the bus is a remarkable combination of elegance with brawn.  But long and low with  almost speedster looks and a light duty tow set up for function.

Greg in Canada

s-l1600tow.jpg

• Like 4

I think it came out to Hawkeye's in upper New York State......see this month's CCCA magazine for a long article on him. I think I know the owner...........but not certain.

I actually don't think the wrecker came from Hawkeye, there was a whole story on that and I don't think it had to do with Hawkeye.  He did have a really neat 28? Packard roadster Pickup Conversion he used to drive around that I would have loved to have gotten.  I grew up spending my Summers in Saranac Lake.  My Grandfather that was building Guideboats at the time knew Hawkeye for many years was going to take me up to see him and his cars , as my grandfather knew I was a car nut and he knew Hawkeye had quite a collection he had seen a few times.  A friend of my Grandfathers who also retired from Boat building went to work as a care taker and was going to show me a bunch of old Cars in a barn at the estate he was caretaking,  but that never came about either.  Too many missed opportunities. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I have decided that I need to own a Full Classic tow truck. Very much want something like these. Maybe I'll cut the back off my '29 sedan...

picture.php?albumid=14045&pictureid=236363

Vintage-tow-truck.jpg

I'd even settle for something awesome like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4rwymyIM8I6NJRLWH-Tz

I know of a Lincoln you might want to do that to.  Might even be a good stress reliever.  Get Xander to draw you up some plans. 

• Like 1

I caught myself last night looking at frumpy old Full Classic sedans in need of restoration that I could cut up to make my own wrecker. But since that Packard wrecker is still available... So tempting...

I don't know why the desire to have one of these hit me so hard and fast yesterday--I've always liked big trucks and that first photo of the Springfield Cadillac wrecker really talks to me. Now I'm obsessed. How awesome to show up at a CCCA event with that Packard in as-is condition but mechanically fit?

If I can sell 15 cars this month, I bet I can make it work. Help me out, guys!

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 10:12 AM, auburnseeker said:

I actually don't think the wrecker came from Hawkeye, there was a whole story on that and I don't think it had to do with Hawkeye.  He did have a really neat 28? Packard roadster Pickup Conversion he used to drive around that I would have loved to have gotten.  I grew up spending my Summers in Saranac Lake.  My Grandfather that was building Guideboats at the time knew Hawkeye for many years was going to take me up to see him and his cars , as my grandfather knew I was a car nut and he knew Hawkeye had quite a collection he had seen a few times.  A friend of my Grandfathers who also retired from Boat building went to work as a care taker and was going to show me a bunch of old Cars in a barn at the estate he was caretaking,  but that never came about either.  Too many missed opportunities. 

You are correct -that red wrecker is from another gentleman's estate a little further south and definitely not from Hawkeye's. He had a couple of really cool old service cars including a 12 cylinder Cadillac. The only thing he had with a boom was a monster mounted on a gigantic long Buick chassis that he used to pull the engines out of the various old wooden boats he was playing with. Incidentally, just for good record the boats that he owned over the years were just incredible and certainly far more exceptional and rare than any car that he ever owned with the exception of the Minerva. Anyhow, this picture was on the The Old Motor a while back and is one that I think would be awesome to try an emulate

PACKARD.jpg

• Like 4

Matt, does this check any of your boxes? Hydraulic brakes, blackwalls, decent eight... 

Image result for 1926 duesenberg service car

1924 "A" Duesenberg service car used by the California distributor. Maybe you read the story "Full Classics Earning Their Keep" by Jim Donnelly this photo was in [December Hemmings Classic Car, 2013]. You might ruffle a few feathers showing up at an A-C-D meet with it, but you have to admit it has a certain panache. I wonder if anyone who tracks early Duesenbergs knows what happened to it.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I was told by the owner of a late 1920's Lincoln service car that Ford sent the dealers specific instruction on how they wanted them to cut down old limos/ 7passengers and fabricate the new service bodies. I guess they wanted to promote an appearance of conformity among the dealers. It would be pretty interesting to get a look at this literature-anyone ever seen/heard of this?

Maybe you prefer an older dealer work/delivery vehicle ?   This Locomobile belonged to Walt G. for a time. Yours truly at the wheel, back in the early 1980's, shortly after Walt bought it from Austin Clark's L.I. museum. He can tell you more about it.

Paul

DSCN7811.JPG

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From Chuck Fanucci:

This is my grandfather's tow truck circa 1917 Series 4 Pierce-Arrow.  This photo was taken in front of the AAA office in San Francisco, CA.  His shop was in Mountain View, CA for many years.  My father also used it in his garage/tow business in Santa Cruz, CA until it was replaced in 1944.  I remember riding in it when I was very young.  At the time, as it was right hand drive, I was allowed to sit in the front seat with my elbow on the window sill and pretend to be driving it!  It was such a thrill!!

Sorry the picture upload upside down...not sure how that happened.

Pierce Arrow.jpg

• Like 1

Light vehicles underwent many modifications over the years too. 

When I was a teen,I spotted an old truck in a local village garage. A tall elderly gent and his wife were sitting on the porch. When I asked him if that was an old truck in the garage, he said "Naw,it's only a 1919 Ford "!  It was a turtle deck roadster with a box fitted. He drove it all over the area repairing farm machinery. It has been restored and preserved.

It inspired me years later to leave my '21 Chevy 490 as a  "field modified" pickup. When a local two cylinder John Deere club held a meet nearby, I had the correct-for-year Deere logo added to the doors. I also have a "Waterloo Boy" decal to go on the running board tool box in the spring. Deere dealers sold these until 1924,when the first John Deere tractors were offered.

1921 Chevrolet Roadster Pickup 002.JPG

Waterloo Boy sign.jpg

• Like 2

"

On 1/9/2020 at 7:03 PM, Matt Harwood said:

I have decided that I need to own a Full Classic tow truck. Very much want something like these. Maybe I'll cut the back off my '29 sedan...  "

Not a Classic, but I always wanted a tow truck so I made my own.

At least the wrecker boom is at least 80 years old.

IMG_0156.JPG

41 Ford at Moose Car Show.jpg

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, durospeed said:

here's a recent picture of my 1928 Lincoln tow truck that was converted back in the day taking off the back portion of the limo body and retaining the front of the body. Its a great runner.

RRCart018.JPG

Wow, I love it! That must be a real show-stopper. I like that most of the conversions have pretty good proportions--the guys doing the work left enough of the front seat/cab intact to give it a proper look. I especially like this one with the Brewster windshield and padded roof, too--that way you know it was a custom body (Judkins?). Fantastic!

• Like 1

The picture of the Locomobile type I express truck that I bought from Austin Clark decades ago was a 1907 chassis. the body was built by the Derham Body Company for the Ardmore Garage of Ardmore, Pa.

I found anf restored the proper brass lights for it ( sidelights it has in the picture are correct) and had a new radiator shell made to replace the dented original. I remade the correct front fenders and a new dashboard then sold the machine as I had a health hic up at the time. this is all over 35 years ago.

It is no longer a truck and was restored back to a town car. with a body of the era. It was at Hershey for sale some years ago and I do not know its current location or owner.

The fellow standing next to the Locomobile with Paul behind the wheel is Bob Patchke - Bob was a master body and paint man who taught me how to paint lacquer in the early 1970s - he and I restored the 1941 Packard 120 station wagon and 1931 Franklin Derham bodied victoria I owned cosmetically . I spent 2 + years working on those two cars to get them done - every Saturday, every vacation day , and some evenings - Bob lived 25 miles away from me. We got the two cars finished . I was teaching full time while all of this was happening , 1,100 kids a week, 6 or 7 classes a day. once I get my mind set to accomplish something I don't stop until its done.

4 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

I know where there is a "restored" 1931 Cadillac tow/service truck that is for sale privately.  No pics at this time but if anyone is interested I could ask the owner for pics and more info. As I remember it had a professional looking body with the chrome rails.

With all this talk one of us might be interested so why don't you find out a little more if possible.