Would you want your friends to see you driving this?

Lebowski

It's better than many of the  "outlandish" things I have seen  on this forum. Swap in a more street usable  engine , put a hood on it. And perhaps some more conventional sized wheels, 15" or even 16". And In my opinion it would be decent.

Greg in Canada

When I read the article I was astonished to read that the owner spent over $200,000.00 building it. Definitely more money than brains. Think of the car that sort of cost could fund. You just have to shake your head and wonder.

Greg in Canada

On 10/14/2019 at 7:42 AM, Paul Dobbin said:

I would be proud to have anybody see me driving that!   My wife saw the picture and said "That's Cool !!!!"

Then again, this was my first car.  A custom build as well.

Moonmachinered.thumb.jpg.fa12150a4711788d20dbe84f29a9ecc9.jpg

Can you tell us more about this? What sort of chassis and drivetrain?

On 10/14/2019 at 9:42 AM, Paul Dobbin said:

I would be proud to have anybody see me driving that!   My wife saw the picture and said "That's Cool !!!!"

Then again, this was my first car.  A custom build as well.

Moonmachinered.thumb.jpg.fa12150a4711788d20dbe84f29a9ecc9.jpg

Kool !

Paul, was this based on a VW,  maybe with Austin parts ?

On 10/17/2019 at 12:12 PM, Bloo said:

Can you tell us more about this? What sort of chassis and drivetrain?

The car begam life as a rear engine 1952 Renault 4CV, a 4 cylinder water cooled French car that tried to compete with the VW for the small car market and failed.  I had one at age 14 and made the famous Moon Machine Roadster out of it and repowered it with a 1962 Renault Dauphine engine,  doubling our horsepower.  I think they made them from 1947 until 1961, when it was replaced by the Dauphine.  Painted with an Electrolux vacumn clearner, after years in primer.

The Moon Machine had  antique car front fenders and some non-descript rear fenders from an antique car.  The rest was fiberglass with 34 Ford seats.  My brother and I were legends in our own minds as custom car builders.

When we sold it, within 1/2 hour the buyer called an offered it back for 1/2 price.  No Deal!   I'm sure it must now be deep in an old landfill somewhere.

Pictured here in primer.Moonmachineprimer.thumb.jpg.258ac3df365f095270b3d60037108d55.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin
added "rear engine" (see edit history)
  • Like 1

His wife saw it.

Tampa license plate ?

Those look like VW wheels, 4CV (army helmet) had three lug wheels.

Friend when young had a 4CV with a built Gordini engine. Surprised a lot of people.

South Florida in the 50s and 60s was full of weird and wonderful cars the very rich would buy and sell cheap when the ashtrays were full.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Lebowski said:

Did that really happen? If so that's hilarious!!! :D :D :D

It really did!.   We were tempted, but realized we had probably found our one and only buyer.

Padgett said:

Tampa license plate ?   4D was Pinellas County was the "4", the "D" meant compact car.  Tampa was

"3" would have been for Hillsborough County (Tampa).    We lived in Redington Beach, off the coast        of St. Petersburg.

Those look like VW wheels, 4CV (army helmet) had three lug wheels.  (Not on the 1952 4CV, these were stock 

wheels)  You might be thinking of the Citreon.  

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)

On 10/11/2019 at 9:57 AM, Lebowski said:

I would be happy if one of my friends had the money just to buy it. Not my taste but there is A LOT of hours $pent on this one

The year before I quit drinking I cut the roof off out '62 Electra over the holiday break, drove it to the diner for coffee the next morning. Probably a mute point because I have done it a couple of times since.

I never could figure out these guys who cut the roof off and then weld it back on. That's insane, leave it off!