Local car show turn-off

J.H.Boland

It was the first really warm day this spring in the great white north (the southernmost part of it). My wife and I drove the '40 Packard to the Thamesford,Ontario Lions car show. As usual,of the hundred plus cars there,there were only a handful of unmolested cars .Admittance was $10,for the Canadian Cancer Society.That's fine. We parked between an Anglia dragster and a sweet '32 Pontiac Deluxe sedan. We pulled out the lawn chairs and settled down.Then the "music" started, golden oldies so loud that you had to shout to carry on a conversion. After politely asking the DJ to drop  the sound a few hundred decibels and being told that the people at the back couldn't hear if he did, we packed up and left before noon. It's sad that you can't even support the local service clubs without being assailed by rock concert level "music". 

Am I alone feeling this way?  Does simple civil conversation have to take a back seat to this crap ??

Rant mode off.

Jim

IMG_1261.JPG

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

You are NOT alone. I pretty much gave up on going to the local Medford Cruise and shows simply because of the loud, obnoxious music they just HAVE to blast at us. I HATE it! AND....you must PAY to participate. Gimme the old days when you showed your car for a free lunch and spectators that didn't need to be entertained with loud music in order to have fun. Call me an old fogey if you like.

• Like 13

For me there may be no perfect world, but what survives beats the alternatives. I'm happy to say I don't share your negative feelings regarding the gathering of car people. At this point, in our changing vintage car world, I feel fortunate to have a place where we can share our hobby with others.

Bill

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
  • Like 2

You are not alone -

Our Cruise Nights do have '50s/'60s music, but the volume is kept moderate, and even at the cars nearest the DJ one can carry on a conversation

1941 Caddy at Cruise Night.JPG

• Like 8

It's stranger's subject came up   The very first car show I attended I got there late boy this is great I found a parking spot right up front this will be good then I count why no one parked there the D J  had the volume up to the max.   Lesson learned.    Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the car shows my father took me to , in about 1970 had music. Most at that time did not, around here at least. Live band, Bill Haley and the Comets. Still on the circuit in 1970, entertaining and making a living.  I was only just a teenager and was only vaguely aware of who Bill Haley was, but I didn't mind them. My father really liked seeing them live, it was the music of his youth. I would have preferred the Who or the Stones but I guess they weren't doing car shows that year.

Greg in Canada

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I like good music loud at times just as much as the next guy, but common sense and respect has to come into play for your fellow neighbors/car show buffs otherwise it just comes off as disrespectful and insensitive to folks next to you (as you're experiencing). Exactly why I don't go to certain swap meets or car shows anymore, between the loud Spanish music and idiotic hot rod metal head crowd it's just not worth it sometimes. 

I say if you want it loud, why not just go home or get a nice pair of Bose headphones and save the rest of us the hassle of your wonderful DJ talents...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

At least they weren't playing rap. 🤮

My 19 year old son; who has quite a wide interest in music, sometimes plays rap on his device. Hard to imagine who the target audience is, human ?.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A few years ago we were at a show out here that had parking lot races on one side of us. And a burnout contest on the other side of us, hole shot racing and rock crawling. All in about 100 degrees of summer heat. A lot going on, to pull in every interest. One guy rolled his jeep, racing in the parking lot. It did have a good turn out of original cars/trucks. But I think it has gone down over the years.

I must be some older then some of the respondents here. So when loud music gets overwhelming, I just move farther away. As for the choice of music, I relish the chance to hear 50's music. While I enjoy some of the music that others here seem to be partial to, 50's music is largely forgotten.

• Like 3

The music was of the era of some of the cars.'50's. It was the volume that was so overwhelming .It was supplied by members of the Galaxie Car Club. It probably didn't help when I asked them if they were an offshoot of the Rusty Ford Owners association.

• Haha 1

I enjoy music played at a level where it doesn't interfere with conversations. A pet peeve of mine is how we are CONSTANTLY bombarded with loud music, ads, etc these days. At the gas pump, inside restaurants, the doctors or dentist office, and yes at the car show - you name it, there is almost always something yelling at me. This old fart misses the days when there were a few minutes of peace and quiet allowed during the accomplishment of everyday tasks. I know the volume is excessive, as the audiologist told me that my hearing loss is severe ( as does my wife every day 😁) and even I find it to be too loud AND too frequent.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

48 minutes ago, J.H.Boland said:

It probably didn't help when I asked them if they were an offshoot of the Rusty Ford Owners association.

I was thinking hitch hikers.

Loud rock music is as much a part of car meets as "wife left me songs" in cowboy bars. Some things are inseparable. Getting far enough away from the speakers so my skin doesn't vibrate seems to work for me.

Two years ago I quit wearing clothing that identified me with any subject. Last year I went to one cruise in, parked next to two SBC's and left my hood open.

Something about me is changing. Maybe I am rejecting stereotypes placed upon aging Americans.

001.thumb.JPG.420f2563b520a97e267b2bc9c691bc7f.JPG

Oh, I should add, I fix that Sev myself.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

I was subjected to the same problem of excessive noise at a meet last year and found that a Leatherman on my belt and their loss of several feet of one of the leads to the speaker solved the problem. 

Perhaps I should explain, this was after several requests to the DJ to lessen the volume and was told "too bad" , others enjoy enjoy the music and they may be further from the speakers than you are.

Edited by 3makes
explanation of the first post (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I really don't understand the mentality that insists on forcing people to listen to someone else's choice of "music" - and I use that word guardedly. There are no car shows left in my area that don't belabor you with 50s or 60s or 70s LOUD pop music - none of which I liked or listened to voluntarily in the 50s, 60s or 70s. Now, I'll freely admit that relatively few members of the general public share my preferences and because of that, I can't imagine forcing them to listen to the Boston Symphony playing The Moldau by Smetana - to the exclusion of being able to hold a reasonable conversation without shouting. A few years ago I was on my way back from a trade show and saw a sign to a local show - so, having the time, I stopped - just long enough to be assailed by the loudspeakers. I turned around and went home. It's just another reason why I've given up on shows...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yup, witnessed it around here too. A DJ cranking out oldies. Too loud. Way too loud. If I had to sit next to that for more than 15 mins I’d be miserable. I like 50’s music. However I go to a car show to talk cars. Socialize with people. Meet old friends and make new ones. If I gotta yell over the music, no thanks. 

Well can just turn my hearing aids down, problem is than am not bilingual. Another problem is that if shows here limit to 25 years or older, they will get maybe five cars, even as new as my Reattas are in the minority and was rushed a bit on Saturday so took my daily driver. Got more compliments on it than my earlier cars.

Took the Judge out and need to put it on the lift to check the steering out, surely it wasn't that bad back then or have I just gotten used to rack and pinion in my other cars ?

Strangest thing is that one has a DOHC-6, five speed, 4 wheel disks, all independent suspension, front and rear sway bars...and that's my tow car.

Did get interest in my 88 Reatta but mainly for the dash touchscreen and built in diagnostics than anything about the car or rarity.

Kids today have different options/interests than we do (I grew up with three channels. PBS came later).

44 minutes ago, 39BuickEight said:

Live and learn.  I have a local show like this, so I know to park away from the noise.

The speakers were set up after we arrived.By then it was hard to relocate. I usually try to scope out the sound systems. Note to self: take ear plugs .If I didn't enjoy meeting old friends and making new acquaintances I wouldn't go, as keithb7 says. There are always a few interesting cars turn up that I hadn't seen,like this '48 Chrysler convertible.

IMG_1267.JPG

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I fix that Sev myself.

Translation?

At our local AACA show, this coming June  1, we have music, but keep the level down, as it is held on a downtown street with stores open on both sides of the street. Do not want to upset the customers of the stores.

We use music for the dancing exhibitions also.😉

Sometimes stores have live bands in front too. 👍

I can listen to classical music just as well as 50s and 60 music. I like a wide range of styles. And if by myself and no conversation needed, it can be loud. Try to carry on a conversation, and it has to be lowered!

I get to choose the type and loudness of the music at the car shows I attend, parking is a breeze too but the food isn’t always the best. I try not to complain to the cook as it can be harmful to my health😀.

BE5C87AC-0775-451A-A64D-3C613BC21283.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Short for Seven.  Different group from a place where cars are smaller.

I posted this picture on an international site and a European guy wrote "That Buick makes the Sev look like a Three." Katherine Hepburn couldn't have said it better.

002.thumb.JPG.1e58356bf518f1f4c5187db59e637ce2.JPG

YEP DON'T NEED LOUD MUSIC AT THE SHOWS AND MEETS! THE WORST EVER FOR ME WAS A SHOW AT A TECH SCHOOL, PEOPLES CHOICE JUDGING. 

Our AMC Club decided to make it a Club advent for a get together and had about 20 AMC Cars come. There were no Class, Year or Model requirements. The Schools Parking lot filled up with Low Riders, Tuners, Drift and Modern Vehicles with LOUD....REALLY LOUD SYSTEMS IN THEIR TRUNKS  DOOR PANELS AND ANY WHERE THEY COULD INSTALL AMPS AND SPEAKERS.

Our Club arrived early and we parked together. Then arriving late were New Trucks and Cars that parked directly behind us, back to back. They proceeded to fire up their systems to see who had the loudest.

I packed up and left...no fled, to get out of there fearing for my hearing. I must be getting old.

Edited by Doug Novak (see edit history)
  • Like 3

If the sound has to be turned up in order for the people in back to hear, the sound system is inadequate.  There should be enough speakers in the area to provide good music at a level that is comfortable for everyone, regardless of where they are located.  I have been to too many events where the DJs don't know how to set up their system correctly; or they drive the under-powered amplifiers to distortion in order to raise the volume.  Any music is offensive if the sound system is poor.   If you can't afford a quality sound system at your car show, dispense with the music.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

My car show this week featured a lot of HPOF and driver quality cars.  Not a big showing in the prewar class.  Music was provided by Simon and Garfunkel on CD playing their greatest hits.  Indoor show so weather was a non issue and my manually pushed wheel chair did not have to deal with divots in the grass on lack of decent handicap parking spaces.  Like I said, enjoy them while you can!

ED0FA469-CC22-4104-9CED-0C41E67F4322.jpeg

• Like 3

On 5/19/2019 at 2:02 PM, J.H.Boland said:

It was the first really warm day this spring in the great white north (the southernmost part of it). My wife and I drove the '40 Packard to the Thamesford,Ontario Lions car show. As usual,of the hundred plus cars there,there were only a handful of unmolested cars .Admittance was $10,for the Canadian Cancer Society.That's fine. We parked between an Anglia dragster and a sweet '32 Pontiac Deluxe sedan. We pulled out the lawn chairs and settled down.Then the "music" started, golden oldies so loud that you had to shout to carry on a conversion. After politely asking the DJ to drop  the sound a few hundred decibels and being told that the people at the back couldn't hear if he did, we packed up and left before noon. It's sad that you can't even support the local service clubs without being assailed by rock concert level "music". 

Am I alone feeling this way?  Does simple civil conversation have to take a back seat to this crap ??

Rant mode off.

Jim

IMG_1261.JPG

I didn't make it out to Thamesford yesterday to the show. But I know well your frustration! Seems the DJ has the tape looping over and over (or CD) at maximum volume playing the same old crap,year after year. It's getting a bit ridiculous and I would like to see a " NO DJ" "NO RADIO" show for a change. I do tend to leave most of the local shows early and the reason is the same as yours Jim.

Sunday I went to a club breakfast buffet with my '60 Electra. We won the bottle of wine prize for the oldest car. The other old car was a 1979. It was an "old people event".

I had lunch with a Buick Club member yesterday. On Sunday he went to an AACA club buffet. He said that out of 60 people attending, there were 7 old cars in the parking lot. The oldest was a '55 Chevy.

When people don't get their cars out the event defaults to those who do.

From my personal experience and observations at meetings, picnics, and other club events, Tahoes are very popular with the old car crowd.

Bernie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unless you use your older car to club functions and perhaps to run an errand once and a while the general public and younger people age wise do not get to see it and then perhaps think that " hey that is cool - an old car and its being used" The next generation of possible car enthusiast and collector needs to be inspired to want to have one. Seeing one in use does this. I see this with old cars/vehicles and local history as well. If you don't let people know they won't respond or have any interest. It is up to you to generate interest, next time you are riding down the road and you see someone looking at what you are riding in - wave hello, it will most likely bring a smile to their face and make someone feel good. Take the time , make the effort. 

• Like 2

Nothing new. I remember being in POCI when the GTO was considered "too new". My biggest issue now is that the Judge has gone from being a $600 car to being a bit more valuable and really not very nice to drive even with the AC. My other AACA eligible cars no one knows except they say "Buick" on the back. Most popular here are the retro-Pony cars (Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger). and most have bigger batteries for the flashing LEDs and graphics for shows and cartoons of choice. The car that got the most attention last week was a "Herbie" clone. Most interesting to me was the dual port engine ("Dunno I bought it that way...")

21 hours ago, TerryB said:

As a young kid driver, a working radio was more important than a working heater.  Go Wolfman Jack, Beach Boys and so many more!  Yes we are getting old.

I remember being late to school because I had to file the points in the “vibrator” ( never knew correct terminology) in the radio. Points would sometimes stick when radio turned off/on. Radio had to work for car to move.

• Haha 1