Local car show turn-off

J.H.Boland

There are families out there that don't have much in the way of parenting skills.

I have seen them at car shows, folks letting the kids stand on the running boards pulling themselves up to look in the window. And yes opening up and climbing all over.

I owned a retail marine store years back and had one family of about eight that would come in and every one of them would pick something up and mess with it.

I mentioned to the father that I would appreciate a bit of discipline as if anything got broken he would be paying. He asked me if his money was not wanted here. My reply was you have been in here several times and haven't ever bought anything so don't come back.

I hate to be rude but these idiots are out there and they breed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, billorn said:

Is that really a thing that happens people just getting into cars? I have been doing car shows for more than 40 years and have never ever seen that happen let alone have it happen to me. I cant imagine that the public going to a car show thinks its ok to just get into any car they want without asking. MOst people at shows are respectful even if they dont have cars they know that they are special and not toys. I see stories like that here all the time but I just cant rap my head around the idea that people would just open a door and get in with their family or let their kids climb on the cars like their playgrounds. A person that dumb wouldnt live long enough to make children.

I also dont like the loud music and Im totally sick of 50's doowop crap. How about some Floyd?

Yes it happens!  A friend of mine and his dad had matching black 56 T'Birds. I went to a cruise with my friend and his mom and dad followed. I had eaten dinner earlier so my friend and his parents went into the burger place to eat. The burger place was sponsoring the cruise. I walked around looking at cars. When I got back to were my two friends T'birds were parked some woman was sitting in my friends car with her butt parked on the boot and her dirty shoes on the white seat cushions doing all these glamor poses  (Black Birds have Black and White seat and door panels). Just then my friends came out to view all this and my friends dad went ballistic! 

I have gone to cruises where kids are " Running on running boards"," kids doing chin ups on the sides of the doors to get a look inside", People standing around your car with their coke cups sitting on your hood. Kids walking beside cars with their greasy fingers and fingerprints going down the sides of cars all the while their parents are observing!    And they are so surprised you got upset!

It's bad enough to shell out money to have a car done , but it's twice as hard when you do all the paint and body work yourself and know the hours that went into your car and watch someone do the things above without a care in the world doing it.  

7 hours ago, billorn said:

I also dont like the loud music and Im totally sick of 50's doowop crap. How about some Floyd?

I've also had enough of the doowop stuff and think that a mix of music from different eras might be nice.  Note, however; that I do not think that rap is music!

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't really care if they play the Monkeys or Mozart ,just keep it in the background so that you can have a conversation without having to raise your voice !

Jim

• Like 3

7 hours ago, billorn said:

Is that really a thing that happens people just getting into cars? I have been doing car shows for more than 40 years and have never ever seen that happen let alone have it happen to me. I cant imagine that the public going to a car show thinks its ok to just get into any car they want without asking. MOst people at shows are respectful even if they dont have cars they know that they are special and not toys. I see stories like that here all the time but I just cant rap my head around the idea that people would just open a door and get in with their family or let their kids climb on the cars like their playgrounds. A person that dumb wouldnt live long enough to make children.

How about some Frank Sinatra, Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, or in another direction Chet Atkins, Merle Travis for our 30's and 40's cars? 

1 hour ago, J.H.Boland said:

I don't really care if they play the Monkeys or Mozart ,just keep it in the background so that you can have a conversation without having to raise your voice !

Jim

WHAT?

• Like 1

Regarding the spectators thinking you brought your car to a event to amuse and let them sit in, crawl on, etc    I used to see this more 30 years ago then i do now. , still happens here on long island but from what I can see reasonably rarely. Perhaps I hang around my car more so people don't think they can do that, but for the most part "recently" ie the past decade or so, people show more respect.

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, playswithbrass said:

We generally have one person at least stay in sight of whatever we have at the show- ever since we came back to find a mother with her child on the fender of our 30 Chev changing its diaper.  You can't make this stuff up

Facepalms....

people...

I have been taking my '60 Electra to events for 16 years now. I have never had a car that attracted so many 50ish women. I am trying to figure out the equivalent attraction in a car about a decade newer.

• Like 2

I once came back to my 1910 REO to find two small children, maybe 6 or 8, jumping on the seats while their parents looked on. I didn't want to scare the children by showing anger but I calmly told the parents it was my car and asked if they thought that was appropriate? I seem to remember they gathered the children up and pushed on - without an apology and seemingly put out. There is no accounting for rudeness, and there is plenty of it. This was at least 30 years ago so it isn't a recent phenomenon. I'm not all that fussy about cars and would gladly have let the children sit on the car had they asked.

One of my friends once came back to his 20s Studebaker sedan - it fabulously original condition (the interior was just about in new condition) to find two people sitting in the back seat eating Kentucky Fried Chicken... he wasn't as calm as I was.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, JV Puleo said:

to find two people sitting in the back seat eating Kentucky Fried Chicken... he wasn't as calm as I was.

I used to get this once in awhile at the boat dealership.

It was next door to a DQ.

I drove past the shop after closing time one night to find two couples sitting in a cabin cruiser drinking beer.

I also would occasionally get signs of people sleeping in the boats.

I saw a video on YouTube recently where a woman was actually standing on the hood of this guy's '63 Chevy and jumping around. He saw her and was furious so he ran over there and pulled her off so hard that she went head first into the pavement. I don't think she'll be doing that again anytime soon....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

I saw a video on YouTube recently where a woman was actually standing on the hood of this guy's '63 Chevy and jumping around. He saw her and was furious so he ran over there and pulled her off so hard that she went head first into the pavement. I don't think she'll be doing that again anytime soon....

I'd be amused to see that. Can you find it and post it?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lebowski said:

If '63 Chevy Owner tried that these days he'd be charged with all sorts of crimes, including, but not limited to: assault, battery, sexual harassment, inappropriate touching, violation of safe space, having a hissy fit etc.  The guy should, instead, actually be rewarded for removing inappropriately discarded refuse from the hood of his car ... or rescuing the misguided damsel from impending bodily injury due to collapse resulting from the inadequate structural design of the dance floor-sized '63 Chevy hood.  If it looks like a dance floor ...

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

Tried to go to a Friday Cruise In this past week, and a Memorial Day Car Show but was shocked with the turn out of cars.

Friday Evening Amish Markets Cruise In at Shrewsbury Pa. near by. When I arrived I couldn't get in as the Parking lot and the large grass field was fully packed as well with really nice cars. I'd estimate there was over 400+ cars there. 

Then on Monday, Memorial Day, I tried to attend a Show that was to be from 11AM to 3PM at the Outlets Stores in Gettysburg. They have a huge Parking Lot behind the 50 Stores. I knew before I got there something was wrong because as I approached, Cars were leaving?  Again a huge turn out of maybe 4 or 5 hundred cars showed up and filled the parking lots before the 11 AM start time. The Show was being run as a funding for the Athletic Department and Sports Programs for a local High School. The said they under estimated the number of cars turning out.

So, I was a little disappointed but not mad about not being able to participate at either event, but truly amazed that our Hobby seems to have exploded with more and more nice cars of all venues hitting the shows in our area. Nice weather for the drive to and from, stopped for gas and got a lot of nice comments from people here and  there.

One bright note, AACA membership, Shows and Meets for us are a blessing as AACA is so much better organized then any other organization I've associated with.   

I'll be back in the Gettysburg area Saturday June 8th for the AACA Gettysburg Region Meet June 8th, preregistered and  ready to show. 

• 2 years later...

Our shop is just North of the Amish Market, maybe 1/4 mile.  They have had nearly 700 cars at some of their Cruise Ins.  We took a 1918 Detroit Electric down there one time.  There was a lot of grumbling by the resto mod folks because the Detroit drew lots of attention.  Out of 700 cars I doubt 10 were original or restored.

• Like 3

I remember going to a car show at St. Michael's Church where all the DJ's enormous amps and speakers all channeled down to a little I Pod. In the summer heat, the I Pod crapped out and killed the whole thing.He had to pack it in ice for an hour to get it going again. What happened to CD's?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cutlasguy said:

I remember going to a car show at St. Michael's Church where all the DJ's enormous amps and speakers all channeled down to a little I Pod. In the summer heat, the I Pod crapped out and killed the whole thing.He had to pack it in ice for an hour to get it going again. What happened to CD's?

I say this is good... Strap the Ipod to the back of the amp and if the volume goes to high the amp heat will lower the volume automatically...... 

• Like 1