What is the story behind your “handle”?

Back in my younger days a couple  of people commented that " I looked like that fellow in the movie Caddyshack". And it happened a few time at various car shows and other events.

Having a 1904 and a 2004 Caddy in the garage just kind of fit also.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Magic Marouke was the pedigree name for my yellow lab "Sam" . i left him in the UK when i emigrated to the states back in 2007 . had him 13 years and was an awesome companion .

hated leaving him but i couldn't take him with me . he still lived with my ex when i left so he was very well cared for . he passed away back in 2010 and i still miss him terribly every day . 

IJ6DjSqrZbErEjuv-GkiCT_miAnO00kycTRMCWPNMHjJzDaqkVfbmz4OmfnZyv7ueaOuVIvSAyROfgH4oeYVkIaSsMkLtCywgQ4xM75kbLMPPQSkQD1P3FztLo6aLl8izUIppkih2e6B1gQUkcHlbGrNGhF-rq56RSf7-I8HR9fcfjTuhHe_54VlWsLBlLXXJ6EdCSY6v2BtbL56M0qGtAqdtP7uTPAPCnx145hiH36iITAYNWqgcRnAUGMLkfYhmKGpTVrhX1Z7DfD8Vw8vG-2BmSMG6uJOI13HXaXY-GDXwKTQ8FfrbcbO6tYiewUYnEckvEnIi99txanUyW3-ELoJxjbKbzkBIOJloakEMfeGW5ay533IA3NMCp6642aV_VbIEXCzDUFqXqddy_UIoF-sS1jicRJvRy8rRJZUZiSg3ChZ4GBl69eLI7KPwXdSD6RvABY8sv4BDRkIVVOsQmOJ1EENhy3UjTsXXEiyNOIUIbm_tRZRBZerkMTiLeHXEuHa0K7LyarVO5q4AQZ4WUfzDT1qUtv481hzOl0yqpCe0QOauJM9PTUVDXi5oWPRv_Z2sWmKap9P_vWl9Tj-jggwAkRbZG3WjJftoNzgypHzryZ85Xusrp954eVYbNqWkC2J6bJ2f6Req7gUDOLnQTeVwz8I0Z3BmzEcU7RqaXcW_ux5WGgVFgg=w1024-h768-no

• Like 4

My handles is one I have used since the first emails were sent over the internet.  AVGWarhawk.  As a young man I had great interest in WW2.  The history just before the US entered the war and everything there after.  In my readings of the Flying Tigers(my love of the P-40 since I was 7) my handle was born.  (1st)AVG(American Volunteer Group) Warhawks(the P-40 that they flew).   Some ask what does average warhawk mean?  Just one or two get it.  One being the fella that rebuilt my vacuum wiper motor.  When I spoke to him he said, "That email is the American Volunteer Group yes?"  It most certainly is.    

bdabc876b7b637c0083177116419f544-800x0-c

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 4

What a cute little panther ! We used to have one. His handle was Andy. Sandy and I saved the little guy when we stopped at the rest stop in Quincy, WA. We were Southbound, headed to Portland from North central Washington. He was just a baby, all alone, and scared. I heard him crying very loud, and called out to him. He came running and jumped up into my arms. We were traveling with another cat, and the two of them  became best friends instantly. Of course we never knew how little Andy came to be stranded there, and he never knew how close he came to being lofted away by a big bird, or being munched by a 'yote. I wish I could have a cat now.   -   Carl 

I just remembered I have some pictures of a friend's little she panther. She is very small and friendly. Said to be ferocious, and totally fearless in the face of large menacing monsters. I don't know anything about that, but I sure liked her curled up on my lap.

9A53A9A2-98A8-433F-A7DE-88E3A2713C53.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Add panther picture (see edit history)
  • Like 5

• 4 years later...

I'm bringing this back to the top because I was staring at some user handles wonder where the bleep they came from.  Maybe I'll luck out and they will post the answer in this thread.

Mine is on page 1.   I get a lot of guys saying "Al's Uncle" for some reason.  I guess the "a" looks like a "u" if you look quick.

June 1996 my brother and I took contract programming jobs together in Lowell Mass.   All the work was being done on Solaris based computers and standard operating procedure was 8 character usernames.   Typically first letter of first name + 7 characters of last name.   Alphonse and Andrew conflict so they used the first 2 letters of our names + 6..

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Before I knew you, I would see your post and think Als Uncle, LOL.

The first forum I joined was for Trans Ams. Before I had that car I had no idea what a forum even was. Believe it or not I dont do a lot of computer time. When joining they asked for the username. I had no idea what it was and thought about it for awhile to come up with something cute and something I would remember. I didnt know you could simply use your own name! Then for some reason I used a different one for each forum I had signed up for. I kind of abbreviated it for the AACA. TA(Trans Am)Kerry(my first name).

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I hadn't seen this thread the first go round, mine is because I have 3 boys and our last name is MacKenzie.  Now my father thought that I came up with it because there's three generations that use the shop, either way it works!

Don

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Originally I was going to use the name my loved ones call me.......but ASXXXXE would get me more warning points...........so I picked something easy so people would remember me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

I missed this one first time around too. Some interesting stories behind the screen names.

The "rocket" part of mine is easy; I'm an Oldsmobile guy. The "raider" is a little more obscure. My 2d and 3d great grandfathers were in a Confederate infantry unit known as the "Border Raiders".

I've used "58thndy" in some groups. That's for the 1974 Hurst/Olds which was Pace Car for the 58th Indianapolis 500.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

I missed this one first time around too. Some interesting stories behind the screen names.

The "rocket" part of mine is easy; I'm an Oldsmobile guy. The "raider" is a little more obscure. My 2d and 3d great grandfathers were in a Confederate infantry unit known as the "Border Raiders".

I've used "58thndy" in some groups. That's for the 1974 Hurst/Olds which was Pace Car for the 58th Indianapolis 500.

Do you know how many years I've read this as "Rocket"  "Trader"?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

So in 5 years I go from auburnseeker to having 2 in the garage.  Do I change the name or just keep looking for more?  

1D0B00D1-2C59-42A6-A6E3-F002DAC82367_1_105_c.jpeg.ab1f21c70362b250a174e4d1c7d9265b.jpeg

Yes, you clearly were not thinking about the future when you picked that handle.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

So in 5 years I go from auburnseeker to having 2 in the garage.  Do I change the name or just keep looking for more?  

1D0B00D1-2C59-42A6-A6E3-F002DAC82367_1_105_c.jpeg.ab1f21c70362b250a174e4d1c7d9265b.jpeg

But you are never done looking! Shop looks great!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

I think we all know the answer to this...... because you can't have too many Auburns......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Surprisingly I have yet to buy a Packard anything.  Not for the sake of not looking,  just the stars never aligned.   Lots of other neat cars I would own as well.  As you can see from the pic,  I've limited myself to mostly prewar. (sort of) That really narrows it down. ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John348 said:

See, so you will always be seeking, maybe not as aggressively. 

The problem with finding is you then empty the piggy bank so either someone gets culled or it's a while before you can afford to add something new to the mix.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Thinking of changing my user name. Sportsillustratedswimsuitmodelseeker. If you got two Auburns in five years, I should start now.🤔

The new issues or the old ones.  Might be some unwanted surprises in the newer ones.  ;)

• Haha 8

I'm an old (87 and counting) fudd with old (pre-World-War-One) cars.

When I write stuff for the Horseless Carriage Gazette, I use Gil Fitzhugh the Elder.  When I got back into the hobby after being away from it for decades, my son (also Gil Fitzhugh) was actively into cars.  We have different middle names, so we're not senior and junior.  I picked the GFtE handle so people reading the Gazette could tell us apart.  Now my son has adopted a cruising sailboat and is essentially out of the car hobby, but I've kept the "elder" affectation because that's how Gazette readers know me.  Besides, it becomes more appropriate every year!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, yachtflame said:

I spent 3 years restoring and 15 years driving this old girl around. Unfortunately it was Dutch steel, not American!

image.jpeg.584cfa0aa086d448a6c3ee9ad4d2452c.jpeg

Thank you!  You were on my list of handles I wanted explained.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

The new issues or the old ones.  Might be some unwanted surprises in the newer ones.  ;)

Looking like there won't be any new Swimsuit issues or any other issues for that matter, they laid off almost all of the writers this past week. The talk Friday on the NYC sports radio station is that they are closing their doors. The commentator pointed out that the Super Bowl to them is like Christmas to retail stores, and they did not get the expected advertising revenue for the upcoming issues, and they were gasping for air financially going into it. I don't know if it is fact or just an observation, but it made sense to me.  Another printed media casualty