I guess I need to clarify what I'm selling next time

auburnseeker

I sold this item on ebay last night.  The guy contacted me right after winning it (he had been the top bidder for a few days) He would pay on Tuesday.  No big deal,  often buyers pay weeks later as they are building orders.

Well this morning I get this email.

"My apologies I need to cancel this transaction I thought this a 63 Chevy ok really sorry sir"

Here is a link to the item.  I guess i must have mislead him in some way to think it was for a 63 car.

Maybe the title stating it was a brochure for 62 Chevy cars

or the listing which says you are looking at a brochure for 1962 chevy cars or maybe even the photos which one clearly shows '62 at the top of one of the pages.  

Not sure.  I guess I will have to be more careful to not mislead bidders in the future. ;)

Darn too as that was my best sale of the night.  Bidders remorse? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312006205960?ul_noapp=true

I had that exact thing happen, except with a WHOLE CAR. The guy placed THREE separate bids at three separate times and then E-mailed to say that "he thought it was a different car."

YOU BID THREE TIMES, DUMBASS! On a car with nearly 100 photos! With the year, make, and model right in the header! And a 1200-word description where the year, make, and model are mentioned multiple times.

I let him off the hook, but I did point out how stupid he was, both in an E-mail message to him and in the "reason for canceling bid" which was "Sadly, this guy is too dumb to be allowed to own a car," which is sent to him, as well. I didn't hear back from him, so I assume he agreed with my assessment.

People on Ebay are shockingly stupid. It makes me weep for our country, because they represent a significant fraction of the rest of the population. Whenever I think I've met the dumbest person I can imagine, a challenger appears. I'm particularly amazed that such stupid people are able to earn enough money to purchase a car.

I'm done being nice to idiots. Being stupid should hurt.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

And, unfortunately, it's not just buyers, but also some sellers.  After multiple questions about NOS wheel cylinders for my 32 Dodge Brothers, I was assured they would fit my car and were exactly like the originals.  I foolishly bid on them and won, only to receive four non-original, stepped cylinders with incorrect bolt patterns.  My questions were specific and detailed and the seller insisted the item was correct.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.

• Like 1

I couldn’t agree more.

I sold a ‘60 Airstream and ‘64 Ford on eBay.  The location of the item is one of the first things listed on the ads.  Amazing how many people made bids then wanted to retract when they realized I live in Canada.  The dummies can search eBay for an item but they don’t know how to use google maps.

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

I had that exact thing happen, except with a WHOLE CAR. The guy placed THREE separate bids at three separate times and then E-mailed to say that "he thought it was a different car."

YOU BID THREE TIMES, DUMBASS! On a car with nearly 100 photos! With the year, make, and model right in the header! And a 1200-word description where the year, make, and model are mentioned multiple times.

I let him off the hook, but I did point out how stupid he was, both in an E-mail message to him and in the "reason for canceling bid" which was "Sadly, this guy is too dumb to be allowed to own a car," which is sent to him, as well. I didn't hear back from him, so I assume he agreed with my assessment.

People on Ebay are shockingly stupid. It makes me weep for our country, because they represent a significant fraction of the rest of the population. Whenever I think I've met the dumbest person I can imagine, a challenger appears. I'm particularly amazed that such stupid people are able to earn enough money to purchase a car.

stupid people.png

• Like 3

Oh how about the people that don't understand FREE POSTAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's right, found a non automotive gem at the free table at the Town Transfer Station, and they canceled the $75.00 deal because they didn't understand FREE POSTAGE. Speaking of IDIOTS, did eBay add (Fits) Thomas Flyer to the OP listing? 

Bob 

3 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Oh how about the people that don't understand FREE POSTAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's right, found a non automotive gem at the free table at the Town Transfer Station, and they canceled the $75.00 deal because they didn't understand FREE POSTAGE. Speaking of IDIOTS, did eBay add (Fits) Thomas Flyer to the OP listing? 

Bob 

I never thought postage was ever free. Where is the Town Transfer Station? Who was canceling the deal anyway?

Yeah, another eBay bidder that can't read. Years ago I tried selling on eBay as a business and spent a great deal of time answering stupid questions. 

"your description says that item is 12 inches by 12 inches, how big is it?"

"your description says it's blue and it looks blue in the pictures but what color is it?"

"I see your opening bid is $XX, will you take #X?"  They would always want to offer half or less. You guys know what I'm talking about, those same people reply to Craigslist or other ads the same way. They offer way less than your asking price even before they see what you have.

And there were the ones that would write in after the auction ends to ask their questions. 

"I see that item sold for $XX. If they don't pay would you sell it to me for your opening bid?"

"I just won this item? When will I receive it?"  Of course they hadn't paid yet.

I learned to block these bidders because if they were stupid before they got their items their level of intelligence was sure to drop even more once they received it.

WParo in VT

We see that here on our local on-line auction site, TradeMe. They ask if you will accept half or less and they can pick it up tomorrow (the auction finishes in a week) coz they are coming by to do blahblahblah. I wonder how many of them are just trying to piss us off and aren't stupid at all.

• Like 1

I get alot of the dumb questions as well.  Some I ignore.  Others, the questioner responds almost right away with sorry I just found that it works or the size or whatever is clearly listed in the 2nd sentence of the description.  

I've only made one mistake in bidding in the thousands of bids I have placed over the last 15 years.  It was completely my fault and I owned up to it, paying up as soon as I got a notice that I had won.  

A seller had 2 lots of Chevy literature ending within a few minutes of each other.  I pulled both pages up as tabs and decided I only wanted to bid on one.  Somehow I copied and pasted the wrong item number in my bidding program and didn't realize it until it had ended.  Oh well.  The only thing that hurt was that the one I wanted went really cheap and I overpaid what I normally would have for the one I won.    

I did contact the seller,  just to mention that if the other bidder didn't take that lot,  I would be happy to purchase it as well.   Of course the bidder did.  

8 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

auburnseeker

I am coming around to your way of thinking.

Between,  eBay - PayPal - Shipping,  I am finding that some buyer just want to take advantage of you., as a seller. 

The shipping is usually the part where I find the real, scammers, a buyer bids and the wins an item, the shipping is fully explained, in the listing. Whether it is a Local Pick-up or whatever shipping service.

After the sale, they call and want a better deal on the shipping.   I am Not Fed-Ex, UPS, USPS; call them.  They want me to give a discount on the shipping.  Yea!

intimeold 

• Like 1

I just figure one out of every so many sales will be like this.  I don’t worry about things I can’t control.  Like the guy who bought a 2002 Acura MDX part from me when he had a 1999 Acura TL.  It didn’t fit, imagine that.  Or the guys who don’t read “local pickup only” and then ask how much shipping will be after they buy it.

At least you hadn’t sent it out yet.

11 hours ago, intimeold said:

People on Ebay are shockingly stupid.

There's that discrimination again!

I have found that most stupid acts are followed by the words "I thought."

That would be kind of funny if it wasn't so predicable. Listen in conversations. But don't laugh when those words are used today by someone defending an act. It is hard to sit around a conference table with a dozen stiff professionals and hear that. Especially if you shared the prediction with another and just glance over and make eye contact.

On the Ebay thing, I sold a set of aluminum '94 Buick wheels on Ebay and shipped through UPS.  I told the UPS guy that there was going to be an insurance claim and we checked everything thoroughly.

He asked why. I told him the buyer asked about the insurance 4 or 5 times, I was suspicious. Sure enough, a $75 claim for damage in shipping.

You should have seen my friend, the exiled Nigerian Prince laugh when I told him that one at coffee.

Bernie

I bought the wrong Starrett Micrometer off eBay the other day because I had looked at so many and had a dozen or so in my Watch List.   I got confused and bought one without the ratchet stop.   Of course I kept the Micrometer and bought the other one as well as I don't think my confusion is someone else's problem.

• Like 3

No it is not.

The guy thought that the numbers on it, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, ... that are actually 1/10 of an inch looked like mm's so he called it metric. The numbered marks do not look to be inches.

The picture that was actually available to me at the time is no longer available.

Alfa Romeo valve shims need to be measured rather accurately: Shims are available from 1.300 - 3.500 mm in thickness, in .025 mm increments.

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

31 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Alfa Romeo valve shims need to be measured rather accurately: Shims are available from 1.300 - 3.500 mm in thickness, in .025 mm increments.

I always do that in thousandths. Why? Because there are more feeler gauges per mm (or inch) in an SAE feeler gauge pack than in a metric one. It just increases the chances of getting things shimmed perfectly on the first try.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's one that I just experienced.

I was looking at this listing for a Voltage Regulator.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-55-Cadillac-Kaiser-Packard-Nash-Rambler-Studebaker-NOS-Voltage-Regulator/263386812272?hash=item3d5313cf70:g:RJMAAOSwEZdaMdz2&vxp=mtr

I couldn't quite make out the part number on the box in the picture so I wrote to the seller.  The attached screen shot shows the conversation.  I guess it's my fault I didn't ask this person to just read the number on the box.

Wes in VT

part.JPG

Edited by tripwire (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, tripwire said:

Here's one that I just experienced.

I was looking at this listing for a Voltage Regulator.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-55-Cadillac-Kaiser-Packard-Nash-Rambler-Studebaker-NOS-Voltage-Regulator/263386812272?hash=item3d5313cf70:g:RJMAAOSwEZdaMdz2&vxp=mtr

I couldn't quite make out the part number on the box in the picture so I wrote to the seller.  The attached screen shot shows the conversation.  I guess it's my fault I didn't ask this person to just read the number on the box.

Wes in VT

part.JPG

I think the vendor in this exchange is a frequent poster on these forums, no? I almost recognize the user name.

• Like 1

I've had a lot of good transactions on Ebay, and usually if I'm disappointed it's because I didn't read the description thoroughly, or I didn't look at pictures closely enough.  I've bought things I thought were one size, and they turned out different (due to no scale reference in picture), I always try to put a ruler in pictures of small items I sell.

The worst experience, I bought a model kit, one of the visible chassis, not inexpensive.  The seller showed one broken piece on the frame, I figured I could deal with it.  I wish you could have seen how he packed it, the main kit was in a box, then the frame was on the outside of the box with the thinnest cardboard you can imagine over it.  Needless to say, when it arrived, the frame was in numerous pieces.

I asked him whether he wanted to discount price or refund money, since it wasn't insured.  The seller got really nasty, saying that a discount would take food out of the mouths of the grandchildren he was supporting, and he had a 2 year old granddaughter who could fix the frame damage, what kind of idiot are you anyway?  Wow....it was so over the top.  I just went through Ebay, got a refund and a free shipping label and sent it back, guess he had to pay the shipping....

I like the part number story.  "Do you know what time it is?"  "I sure do".......

Sold a 27’ Chevy 7 window landau sedan on eBay. Gave a full description of car, said it ran good, drove and stopped good, needed wood restoration and listed parts it would also areas it needed work. Pictures showed glass out of it and I said “ have original glass including windshield for patterns. Said car had the usual old car oil leaks and needed gas tank installed but it came with the car. Also said I had a bunch of extra parts including completely rebuilt carb, second set of headlights,etc that I would sell additional to the car if the buyer wanted. Listed my ph and said to call me for better explanation and with any questions. Guys wins the bid from down southeast US and messages me through eBay about trucking though he never called me through all the correspondence. I work with him on that and ask him if he wants the spare parts for the car for $500 as the rebuilt carb cost that alone. His email back said he’d give $100 so I said to forget it. When he gets the car he immediately demands a $1000off the sale price because there was no battery in the car and he couldn’t get it to even start. He claimed to me that he had restored a 29 dodge and new how to get old cars running. I told him the car runs fine, sent him a video of it running, and had driven it onto the truck that hauled it to him. I told him that I emptied the steward fuel pump tank on the firewall as it was the only source of fuel to the motor with the tank out. He then messages me back saying “what the hell is that make shift coffee can thing I was using instead of having the tank hooked up”!  Now I think that this guy said he fully restored a 29 DB sedan and didn’t know what the Steward vacuum fuel pump on the firewall was. Last time I looked at a 29’ DB sedan, it has a steward pump just like this Chevy. He then follows up with “you said it had all glass and windshield but the windshield was cracked and no good to use “. I then said that you need safety glass anyway and that the Chevy used the vent and ventilation windshield that seals on the bottom so the bottom curve of the windshield is important and having the original for a pattern was very advantageous. That didn’t help as the next message came back that the normal old car oil leak was bigger than that. I wrote him back and agreed with him as I had been driving the car on and off my open trailer taking it to a few shows to try and sell it. The new use of it evidently made the leak worse and I hadn’t noticed it until after I had put it on the truck to ship to him and I saw the bigger area of oil on the garage floor. I told him I would send him $75 for the repair and to get a new set of pan gaskets from the filling station. I also put in the add that the buyer would get a free 1 yr membership to the VCCA included. Well, another message comes and he calls me a liar, saying he checked with the AACA and they didn’t have any new membership in his name. I now realize that this guy can’t even read and scanned a copy of his new VCCA membership I got from the VCCA then forwarded it to him. He continued sending me messages and threatening he would contact eBay which I told him I already had and they were already seeing the correspondence between he and I. Well, he then stopped sending me any messages and when I sent a check to his address it came back saying no such address! It’s been only the second time I’ve had a bad transaction on eBay and I’ve done over 700 with many high priced items including other vehicles. This buyer was just being a hardass and hoping to play the disgruntled buyer card. It didn’t work.

In the spirit of the Christmas season I have to say that the vast majority of my transactions on EBay have been positive. With over 3,000 since 1998 I’ve only had one obvious scammer try to take me by returning an item that was obviously not the one I sold them and in much worse condition. Luckily the item I sold had a serial number which I had stated in the ad so it was easy to prove the person was trying to pull a fast one.

Most items I buy are packed well, though some were really crappy, but overall I guess I’ve been lucky.

Now ebay itself and what it’s turned into.........don’t get me started!!!

• Like 1