Making the AACA More Appealing to Young People

It might be that one reason more youth don't participate in the antique car hobby is that  owning, maintaining, and restoring cars that are twenty five years old and older is too expensive for many young people.

That said, maybe it would be a good idea to lower this barrier of entry into the hobby.  Perhaps a "student" class could be established that would allow young people, below the age of 25, to enter and display cars that are ten years old or older.  The same AACA originality stipulations would apply to these vehicles; and once a member turned twenty five years old, that member could no longer show vehicles that are less than twenty five years old.

Younger cars are typically more affordable, and are more interesting to young people than older vehicles.  If we recognize young people's automotive interests and budgets, we have a better chance of recruiting them as life-long members.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Roger Frazee said:

...maybe it would be a good idea to lower this barrier of entry into the hobby.  Perhaps a "student" class could be established... 

Actually, when the Driver Participation Class was begun,

it was envisioned, according to written reports at the time,

as a way to get younger people involved who would not have

the resources to have beautifully restored "perfect" cars

for the judged classes.

While the DPC attracted all ages of cars and people,

it still remains a viable way to enjoy a national meet

with an affordable antique car.

• Like 1

I agree that we should always think outside of the box and always keep trying to do our best to make the club appealing to the next generation. In my personal experience, I don't think that this is the way to attract the younger folks. I, along with a few other members of my local chapter, routinely attend our local monthly Cars and Coffee events. Most of those attending are the younger folks that you are talking about. Quite a few of them have cars that cost more than many antique cars. These folks are "car guys" and "car gals". They are getting exposure to antique cars and many of them are showing interest in them at these events. We have quite a few local members who are in their 30s. These members include owners of Model A Fords and Model T Fords. We also have several student members in our local Chapter. 

Just like the members of the older generation, every young person is not going to be interested in antique cars. We just need to plant as many seeds in the target age group and then cultivate those seeds that find fertile ground.

One other note. My 19 year old daughter started in AACA as a Junior Member. She is a National Judge although she is not as active right now since she is busy attending College. She was very thankful for receiving an AACA Scholarship. She drives a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The Impala was about 10 years old when we bought it. It cost me more than the AACA Original 1989 Buick Park Avenue that I own. My daughter sees the 2004 Impala as transportation. She would not think of it as a car to participate with in any club. She actually wants a 1967 Impala but I think that will have to wait until after College when she has a job.

Every chance I get, I talk to people of all ages about my antique cars. I drive my 1937 Buick Century on a regular basis to lunch or dinner. This is the best way to get more people exposed to our cars. Lots of people ask questions. Taking the time to talk with them gets more exposure for the club. I am willing to let people open the doors, take a closer look, and even go for rides. Exposing people to our old cars is fun and helps get more people into the hobby.   

• Like 10

Matthew, you make a good point about your daughter's 2004 Impala, being her daily transportation.   Most young people I know only have one car and it is their transportation,  However, many young gear-heads take great pride in their daily ride and work to make their cars show-worthy.  If they could incorporate their 10-year old car into the preservation hobby, they would have an entry point into the AACA.  It would also help disspell the image that the AACA is an exclusive club.

11 hours ago, Roger Frazee said:

It might be that one reason more youth don't participate in the antique car hobby is that  owning, maintaining, and restoring cars that are twenty five years old and older is too expensive for many young people.

No offence intended to you or your ideas... but...

I totally disagree.  You can get buried financially with a newer car with a bad overdrive automatic transmission that needs to rebuilt, or problems with electronics that are very costly to diagnose and expensive to repair.

11 hours ago, Roger Frazee said:

Younger cars are typically....., and are more interesting to young people than older vehicles.

Again, I disagree... with that blanket description of "interest"

You want to spark some interest in older cars?  Grow a pair and toss the keys of one of yours to a younger person and his friend(s).  Nothing compares to being in an older car tooling along, when they see the COUNTLESS thumbs up and smiling onlookers.

You won't get that with some old 90s Crown Victoria, that 04 Impala, or whatever else 10-15 years old.  Ain't the same, never will be.

why would someone travel long distance to Hershey to look at that used car crap?  It would ruin the AACA shows....getting over-run with late model used cars..

I let my son take my 32 Ford hotrod out by himself, and he also gives rides to friends...they are grinning like getting lucky on their first date. :)

If the car is so darn special to you that you can't do that, well....

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Roger Frazee said:

It would also help disspell the image that the AACA is an exclusive club.

But it IS an exclusive club both by design and intent. As a club of antique cars, their owners, and interested people, cars newer than 25 years are excluded. Why would the club try to dispel it's image of exclusivity? Without that cachet it would just be another commodity...........................Bob

• Like 5

Roger, it's great that you're thinking of the club's future,

and of getting teenagers more involved in the hobby!

Here's one thing to ponder about the 10-year-old-car suggestion.

Suppose I'm 24 and have a 2007 Volkswagen that I'm crazy about.

I take it to AACA shows in the proposed "student" class.  It's 10 years old.

The next year, I turn 25, my car turns 11, and my car and I are no longer

eligibile for the class.  In fact, I have to wait fourteen years--

that's the year 2032!--before I can show that car again at events.

Ideas always have potential.  Molded and refined, they are 

the strength of the club.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

..to add, yes I agree that much younger folk might be stuck with only one car... however, an older car can be a daily/primary, OR when they get to their own 25th birthday, they can finally qualify for antique insurance for a 2nd car.

The newest car I have owned in ten years is a 1970.  and I don't have a spouse with a new car to borrow either...

Just now, F&J said:

..to add, yes I agree that much younger folk might be stuck with only one car... 

Sometimes, yes.  But I was an inveterate saver, 

and bought my first antique car just after I graduated.

My interest in cars was strong, and even though my first

antique was only 27 years old when I got it, it was

ancient to me.

How can a young person get an antique car?  

By thriftily saving money and by not getting tied down

with monthly payments on a new car.  Live with a modest

daily driver.  I did.  My focus was on antiques!

• Like 7

I would put "young" as anyone 40 and under.  Interest in cars as an appliance seems to be the trend these days.  It runs or it doesn't and many drivers don't even know how to open the hood of their car.  I live about 20 miles from Hershey and yet living this close to antique auto Mecca seems to have little influence on the number of car events I can find going on locally.  Cruise nights seemed to have disappeared too so the chance to see and interact with the old car hobby is very limited for the general public and especially our younger people.

Better advertising for local events would help get the word out to potential new members.  The Great American Race is a good example of where they invite the locals to come and see what's happening and get the community involved in the sport.  More of this type of come, see and talk to the owners is needed to draw in younger folks.  

Terry

36 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Better advertising for local events would help get the word out to potential new members.  The Great American Race is a good example of where they invite the locals to come and see what's happening and get the community involved in the sport.  More of this type of come, see and talk to the owners is needed to draw in younger folks.

My recent experience of letting my Son take my 32 out by himself, giving rides, showing off, etc..  He arrived back talking non-stop on how much fun they all had, what a great day, all the thumbs up...

I finally got the mental "pat on the back" for the long tough job it was to finally finish the car.  To hear/see so many people of different ages being so excited, made my day. 

You just cannot top a "hands on" experience, compared to a carshow, or watching the Great Race or TV nonsense shows.

You can't know what it's like/fun, to ride a bicycle from just watching others.

If my car got damaged that day, I'd deal with.... it if nobody was injured.  The minor risk paid off in "planting the seeds" of interest.

• Like 2

If some of you have 2-3-4-5 cars. And if you were to go out of town. Would you ask a friend or a neighbor to watch your house and check on things while you are gone? If so , you are trusting that person with all of your stuff. So if you have a local car show, and you decide to drive your 1934 ______. Why would you not ask one of your neighbors/friends to drive your other car/cars. I do understand the insurance end of covered drivers. I will pick up cars from a customer to work on in my enclosed trailer. When the work is done, I ask a neighbor if they would like to drive it back to the customers house. I follow in the return car. Will this neighbor ever buy an old car? No, but they can talk about driving a 1950 Oldsmobile, 1951 Hudson, 1937 Buick. 

Happy to see this topic.  My perspective is the same as many of you.  Young people today especially need to experience an old car to get bitten by the bug.  Many of us remember the first time we saw an old car, drove it or had some great owner share his love of his car with us. Just going to a car show will not get the job done for these young people.  I have had a car damaged by a spectator at a show but I have also seen the smiles of a kid honking my horn or getting a ride in it.  At the WV show I am bringing my race car and any kid or adult who wishes to sit in it is welcome by me despite I have a race few weeks after.

AACA of course has a Junior and a Senior membership.  We offer scholarships, have youth regions at high schools and colleges and support teams of young people in the X-Cup. 

However, I hope the hobby does not lose sight of the 30-50 year olds as THEY are our real future and if they do not fall in love with our hobby there will be no hobby for the youngsters!!  We cannot skip generations.

Thanks for caring enough to be concerned!!

• Like 4

This is a very interesting topic. I am 60 years old and grew up in the hobby (my Dad got his first Model A when I was 10 years old), as so did my three adult sons. Two really have no interest at all. When my father passed he had a few cars, I offered a car to each of them and only my oldest son wanted one. I gave him a nice 54 Chevrolet Belair four door sedan, a driver. The tires were old so I purchased a set of new bias ply w.w. tires, figuring he would use it. In the five years he has owned it I don't think he drove it 200 miles total. The radio never worked so my wife and I for his birthday sent it out and had it repaired, it sat in a box for 6 months before he put it in. I know myself I would have installed it the next free day I had. I don't know the answer but what I do know  is that  giving a car to a younger person that can't afford to get in the hobby is not the answer. I only wish that when I was 30 years old someone gave me a turn key driver.

One thing that comes to mind, when I was first married were going to a club event and my wife did not want to go. When I asked her why she replied I really don't feel like sitting with your mother and her friends all day, I have nothing in common with them. While us guys have things in common and age does not matter with our interest, women are much different, and interest's vary. My daughter in law now is going through what my wife did.

I was lucky that a couple our age joined that region around the same time and we had become very close friends, and are still very close to this day even though we now live 600 miles away from each other. Our children are around the same age and they grew up together. We would plan our vacations around club events (not the AACA, the VCCA)  drive our cars to the meet, rented a car for our families while we were there, and while we were out judging cars our wives and children were going to zoo's, water parks or anything else or anything else they could find. So if the wife's click then it will work 

What I would suggest is that the AACA try putting together tours geared for members with children under a certain age, (no, not us with our grandchildren!) a family event where kids are splashing in the pool and nobody minds, chicken fingers are on the banquet for everyone. Today's younger generation lives in a duel income society, and two week vacation's have become a thing of the past, but a four day weekend is possible. These events should be planned by these younger people who are going with somebody's guidance who has done it ......... just a thought!

When I was under 40 two things I did not have a lot of was money and time, we tend to forget that as we age. This might be a great avenue to forge those lifelong friendships   

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here is the first time I entered a show. I had running, licensed collector cars prior to that. At the time, June 1978, I was 29 years old. I turned 30 in September.

001.thumb.jpg.94a2cea02acab599219369b26147cf18.jpg

The car was about 15 years old. I had been following them since the ;63's came out and knew a lot about the history and significance of the model. People kind of tripped over it wondering what "this used car crap" was doing there. I actually remember someone  asking "What's that a 1970?"

THEN my Wife and I went to the 1981 Buick Nationals in Sandusky. Ask my Wife about the Cedar Point Park show. She will say "Oh, that's where everyone said it was wrong to have a vinyl top on your car." I just called into the other room and asked what she remembered about that show. She just confirmed it!

I haven't been much of a show goer these past 40 years. And I do strongly agree with the "exclusive" comment above. "Why are you here. You should be excluded."

Forward to last year and a car show over in Akron, about 4o miles away. I still have the Riviera and a couple other cars, chosen for reasons of my very own. I showed up in a 22 year old car, all nice and shiny:

016a.thumb.jpg.161b9a5e00ad027fff8580675156cb01.jpg

"Are you looking for the parking lot? This is the show field." Well the date changed. I didn't stay long and probably won't drive over there this year with one of the other cars.

The unwritten by-laws haven't changed. Some of the kids will clone, some won't, and some will adapt, like I did and just take what pleases them.

Here is something fresh for the old farts to consider.

Classes.thumb.jpg.e6db843704e1c17c75d0b6da632e0423.jpg

It's a High School Car show in about ten days. Read the classes and think about how you would greet the participants when they come in the gate.

Be honest, how are you going to entice the 25 year old KIA owner?

I bet the same way a few of the Ford Model T owners greeted me.

Bernie

• Like 3

I just got home from the NC Region Spring Meet. I see that there has been quite a bit of activity on this topic today. I was thinking about this topic when I took one photo today. I think it illustrates my point that there are certainly young people who are interested in cars who are excited about antique cars and just need to be exposed to them. This photo shows the 30 something owner of a Model T showing his car to other young people at today's Meet. He loves starting it up and demonstrating it to other young people.  

DSC_0165.JPG

• Like 4

We all seem to be in agreement that the best way to get young people interested in old cars is to let them see them, touch them, hear them, smell them and drive them.  But, first we have to get the old cars and the young people in the same parking lot.  My point about creating a student class that would allow young people to show cars that are ten years old, is that it might bring young people out to AACA meets; where they can see, and fall in love with, the vintage cars.

Whether this a is a good idea or a bad idea is of secondary imprtance.  What is of primary importance is the fact that our club must reinvent itself from time to time in order to remain strong and vibrant.

While I was at the NC Region Meet, some of our other chapter members who stayed home attended our local Cars and Coffee. I normally make it but skipped it today to attend the Region Meet. They were continuing our regular outreach to the younger "car guys and car gals" in our town at that venue. The younger generation is out there and just needs to be engaged. As long as we all continue to be approachable and engaged the future looks bright.

• Like 1

Just prior to turning age 27 (1972), I bought a 1934 Ford Tudor.  I restored it in my back yard and even left our 65 Mustang Convertible outside a few nights on the process to have it in the garage.  I didn't belong to a club
and the only car guys I knew at all were Street Rod builders.  They wanted me to chop the top and put a Chevy engine in it, but I wanted it to be stock.  The Street Rod guys were nice and helpful and even sold me some needed parts at a fair price.
Then, I met a AACA guy down the street with a finished Model A Ford and a 40 Buick project car.  He was also a member of the local Model A Ford Club.  As I approached the end of my restoration, that guy, Thomas Brookover, invited me to a local car show sponsored by the local AACA Chapter and the local Model A Ford Club.  As it happened, the Glidden Tour was in town that weekend.  The "Gliddenites" drove those fancy old cars down the street to see the local show.  WOW !  was I hooked!  These were all nice people a lot older than I, but with similar interests.
Now almost 45 years later, My wife and I are Gliddenites & Buzzards and still belong to the local Model A Club and the AACA.  We've done 39 national tours including 11 Great American Races (2 with Tom Brookover) and most of the people we see often are car people. I've chaired many 200 vehicle shows, written over 100 local antique car tours, met 1,000's of nice people and still enjoy all of it, except the shows. 
Yes, the shows are nice and the cars are spectacular, but there is something about winning a trophy that effects many people in a negative way and it can become more important  then the people or the other cars at the same show.
Life is that way and I've heard of many horror stories of young people who didn't have the friendly welcoming experience that I had.  I think we can do better.  Many people are to introverted to interact, so those of us that are not  to introverted, need to work harder with newbies and young folks with interest.
If you read this far, Are you a welcoming member?  Try it it feels GREAT!
  • Like 1

We held an event last summer with a different club and the host hotel was at a university. Seeing they gave us a double sweet dorm room at $65. a night and a free room for every 10 rooms we booked was hard to turn down giving us six free room to raffle off. Anyway they allowed us to park a 1916 Ford T under a large canopy at the main entrance where the students passed.  When the owner was with the car many of them stopped admired and asked questions took pictures with their cell phones never having seen a car of this period. If their was small car shows at educational institutes to plant a students future wish to have an antique car  after graduating. Say schools with mechanical backgrounds  to be a priority. Just a rambling thought.

• Like 1

"Funny that those kids are looking at the T and not the Buick....yes, I know the T is likely idling....but still.. "

F&J,

When I'm around a group like that I ask them if they can start my '60 Buick........Fun to tell them just to press the gas pedal.  The go underhood with the ignition on and just pull on the carb linkage and start the car.  It's just as big of a show.  It's all the same, if the young guy is looking at your car, show him what is unique about it and they will be with you.  Our owners need to be more involved with their cars at the shows.

• Like 3

A lot of the younger group that is around here go for the cars you can put a chip in to make it go faster. Then I take them for a ride in my '31 coupe and they start to get real curious about the older stuff. I like to instill the old car bug whenever I can. I took a kid for a ride once when he was about 7 years old. He still talks to his family about that ride 9 years later! Let the younger ones hang around and ask questions about your old car. That is about the only way to get them interested.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger Frazee said:

My point about creating a student class that would allow young people to show cars that are ten years old, is that it might

Sorry to seem like I keep hammering your idea... but allowing 10 year old cars, for "some special interest group" is exactly how other things in life got so wrong.

The 10 year cars showing up rule, will make many people stop going with the cars that BELONG there, ......AACA should not be  making up new rules for 3 legged blind cats at a dog show...

I get your point about trying for younger members...but are you are too focused at wanting to "hook them" at an AACA show?.  I just read your post again, and I honestly wonder that either you, or people you know, only take old cars to a show.. 

Just because this is an AACA forum, it does not mean that most people here, only try for senior winners and always closed-trailer it, and never consider driving it where non-car people can see them. 

• Like 3

These discussions always leave me feeling I must have lived in an alternate universe. Are we to understand that 20 or 30 or 40 years ago lots of 20-somethings were participating in AACA events? While I admit that the AACA had little presence in my area — the northeast — there was plenty of old car stuff going on. I bought my first old car, a 1927 Cadillac, when I was 19, the summer after I finished High School. My pal, John Zangari, bought a 1926 Chrysler Imperial 80 about the same time and he and his brother together had a 34 Chevrolet.  The three of us were ALWAYS the youngest drivers at any car show... virtually everyone else was in their 40s and older. This was 40 years ago so I fail to see what has changed.

I completely agree with F&J. It is not lack of interest, it is lack of exposure. But, even that may not be all its cracked up to be. I had zero exposure to old cars in my youth and certainly not from my family. My father could not have cared less about them and regarded the whole thing with benign displeasure. At least he didn't try to stop me, but he did nothing to encourage me either.

A year or two ago my early 20s nephew asked me if I had an idea where he could find an early motorcycle to rebuild... not an early Honda either. I told him to stop by the house where I gave him a dismantled 500cc BSA c.1948. He hasn't gotten to putting it together yet, but he has accumulated most of the needed parts so I'm reasonably sure it will happen. My point is, I made it easy for him to get involved . Its up to him to see if there is an ongoing interest.

Edit... I'd second the comment about shows. Believe it or not, there are old car enthusiasts who don't care much about "showing" their cars or collecting trophies and aren't obsessing about whether the bolts that hold the trunk rack on have grade markings on them.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I still think the AACA would do it's self a big favor to advertise the swap meet in the custom/street rod/hot rod world. Do your vendors care if the rusty fender goes on a restored car or a custom? Or do they care about parts being used to get a car on the road. Getting more people to the swap meet, will increase interest in your club and what you stand for. The show field is a site to see. Even if you are into customs/street rods, seeing all of those restored cars in one place is an amazing site. And would pull in some people to the restored side. It might also get people thinking about bringing their parts to the meet to sell as well. I always try to sell original parts from the cars that get modified. You might be surprised what parts some of these custom/street rod guys/gals have laying around.  

I guess I really don't know exactly why I was interested in old cars and why I got involved in the hobby. Maybe my older brother owning some of those 1950s "used cars" in the 1970s got me interested. When I was about 23 years old, in 1983, I spotted an old rusty nonoperable 1937 Buick and fell in love with it. I tried to buy it but I could not ever get a price from the owner. It was not for sale. I vowed that "One day I would own a 1937 Buick." I bought my first antique car, a 1931 Ford Model A in 1996 at the age of 36. A few years ago, after almost 20 years owning Model A Fords,  I decided it was time for the 1937 Buick that I had vowed to own one day. Some people are interested in old cars and some are not. That was true when I was young and it is still true. All we have to do is keep getting the cars out and keep talking with people and the hobby will continue long after we are all gone. It is easier to get involved in the hobby after you have a bit more disposable income and can afford a home with a garage or other space for maintenance and storage. Most people are going to get involved or more involved in the hobby as they get closer to retirement age. Some will get involved earlier, but most will continue to join in their 40s, 50s or 60's. 

When I was 18 years old I bought a MGB that was 15 years old.  I joined an antique car club only to find out that my car really wasn't an antique so I worked all summer long and saved every dime I had to buy a 50 Dodge so that I could be part of the old car community.  If I can do it, so can those young people today. 

I am totally opposed to lowering the 25 year rule for ANY reason.  If young people want to be in the old car hobby, they can do it like anyone else.  I am kind of tired of lowering standards just to cater to younger folks (or anyone else) who don't want to comfort to the standards for the hobby, clubs, etc.  my kids grew up around the old car hobby and are interested in it today - they would never consider wanted the standards lowered just so they can be a part of it without an antique car.

If the AACA lowers the year range to gain new members, they will lose this one.  

Bob

• Like 5

I don't buy the "it's the parents" business.

My interests have always been quite different from those of my parents and the same goes for many of my contemporaries (+/- 5 years).

I'm 65 and been interested in all things old my entire life.

Heck, I even married an older woman....... :P

I have five cars ranging from 1919-1965.

It doesn't matter which car I happen to be driving that doesn't get attention.

In fact, overall, more women than men have correctly dated my Mustang as a '65....... :)

But nothing makes me happier than when a youngster shows interest in one of my two Model T Fords or even the '24 Dodge.

I become an accommodating promoter showing them what's what and, if they want, take them for short rides.

One thing I've learned is that NOBODY ever forgets their first ride in a Model T as I've been told many times over from 6 year old kids up to a 90 something man who was a friend of my late Dad.

They'd never have that memory from riding in a '92 "normal" vehicle.

• Like 2

There is a real generation gap, and a societal gap, since most of us geezers became interested in old cars.  I'm 74, and remember as a child of 6 or so, waiting for my great aunt (de facto grandmother) in the market (not a SUPERmarket) parking lot--kids could safely be left in cars in those days-- being entranced by the high-end pre-war limos and formal sedans, often chauffeur-driven, in the parking lot.  I learned to drive on a 1934 Buick 56S coupe. I joined AACA about 1962 as a college student and was a member of the California Region which did monthly tours April thru October and had 12 monthly evening meetings a year, each with Laurel & Hardy or W.C. Fields films.  My 1934 Buick and 1934 Chrysler were the subject of good-natured ribbing as "too new" but were accepted anyway.  And learning to work on cars was, at the time, a rite of passage for high school juniors and seniors--if you couldn't/didn't, you were a dweeb.

I recently spoke at the memorial service for an 86-yr-old longtime Pierce owner, and recalled that as a college freshman I'd sometimes hang out when he was working on his car.  His 1916 touring was the first Pierce I rode in.  At the time, I was encouraged that here was a guy only 12 years older than me who had his own house, wife and 2 kids, and could still "play" with old cars.  What I DIDN'T say at the service is that in today's PC times and especially in metropolitan areas, many of us are reluctant to invite youths to watch/help for fear of being labeled as Chester the Molester or as exploiters of youth for free or too-cheap labor.

On the other hand, I frequently participate in Blackhawk Museum's monthly Cars & Coffee (up to 1,000 cars of ALL stripes) with one of my cars (I'll be there tomorrow), and am happy to not only discuss my own cars but also to engage in conversation with the modern Mustang and ricer owners, and to say nice things about their cars, however difficult that sometimes may be.  I believe that we need to be friendly and to speak up--in other words, unlike the military, this senior does not wait for the junior to initiate the salute.

Likewise, I try to participate in a 2-miles-away show-n-shine.  I let SOME kids accompanied by responsible parents squeeze the bulb horn or operate the ahoogah horn on the 1918, and often (not always--I try to read the people) let parents put their kids in the seat (rumble seat of my 1930) for photos.  I leave the hood up for awhile to invite questions and comments--the 1918 has exposed lifters making a good show when it's running.  With pre-teens, I ask them what they call the area of their family car where they carry their suitcases--TRUNK! --and then point to the actual trunk on the back of some of my cars, and explain how that term has stayed in the language.  Once you get into it, it's enjoyable to relate to observers this way.

I have no strong feelings on the proposal to lower to 10 years for youth, but will offer this:  During my career (long past), I was able to implement innovative procedures (default response:  "It won't work, we'll all be killed") by couching them as "experiments" for a certain limited time--and not as always-and-forever policy changes.  It COULD be worth a try in ONE venue if suitably marketed.

Edited by Grimy
added one adjective, corrected typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If guys in their late 20s to 40 or so realized what an incredible "chick magnet" this 72 year old's Cadillac is , similar cars would be worth more than the red Ferrarl you see in the background. I am reluctant to post recognizable pics of the fashion model looking ladies without a release. Ask me when you see me. This was last year on Easter at Cold Spring Tavern above Santa Barbara. Several of those lovely creatures were all over the thing. You can be 100% sure it had nothing to do with the scruffy , beat- up aforementioned 72 year old. Now , if I were the guy I was half a lifetime ago , .......................... , Hey ! Back then I was known as  - Cadillac Carl

image.jpeg

8 hours ago, mike6024 said:

High School and Junior College Auto Shops are interesting places.

Very few high schools have auto shops these days here. 

There used to be high schools here in CT that had these classes: 

-auto shop

-sheet metal shop

-machinist shop

-drafting

-woodworking (furniture related) and home construction shop

-house electrical shop

In the 60's, my school allowed you to take only one per year, except drafting could be added to any of the others.  So, as we had all of the above classes except an Auto Shop, and as High School is only 4 years, I took Sheetmetal, Machinist, Woodworking, and Drafting.  This now has given me the background and the "exposure" to allow me to design and create, and knowledge of what tooling is needed, and also what cannot be done without the huge tooling for factories.

Here is my anti education system rant.  The people who now make the final decisions on which courses are scrapped, have allowed our population in the USA, to have absolutely NO skills or exposure to work with ones hands.  That is why you even see people on the AACA forums with a stalled project item, that I can make in 10 minutes, from leftover material. 

These educators spewed their white-collar, college prep attitude, that WE, the mighty USA, NEED to have all students doing only white collar work. They implied that these "low level" jobs should be done by "uneducated" people in other nations.  Educated means more than white collar to me.  People send their kids to college, only to find a tough, already filled white collar job market.

The educators have somehow placed a low wage system upon people who are brilliant, but work with their hands.  Why should the guy who works for a restoration shop, working on full classics, be only worth $25 per hour, when the car owner makes $1000 an hour as a lawyer/surgeon?

These dolts now see that our once "we can do it" nation is filled with people who can't even change a light bulb.

This is why you cannot find local people to create a simple or complex part for your antique car. 

I am blue collar, and damned proud of it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking back, going the the Genesee Valley AACA show at the "new" public market in Henrietta, NY. was one of the few things my Father and I did together without the family. We went the the 1963 Watkins Glen Grand Prix and the old Atlantic City February auction, too. Formal functions were somewhat out of my circle for a long time. I joined the first Buick Club in 1966, right after graduating from High School. That one fizzled out. Then in 1967 I joined the Navy for four years. Upon entering civilian life I began a stint of working nights in power plants on rotating shifts and the social aspect didn't fit into the schedule.

In 1974 I planned my first trip to Hershey. Then another operator decided to get married that weekend. My boss coaxed me into relinquishing my vacation for the other guy. Then, FOR THE NEXT SIX YEARS, the guy took that weekend off for his anniversary trip! I never got to Hershey until around 1990. In 1979 I started working days and joined the Buick Club. Our local AACA meets on Friday nights and never fit into our good Catholic fish fry routine.

I have always been active and had a high level of interest in cars, but not so much social, other than with a few close friends and time has been at a premium.

Looking at young people today I don't see the opportunities for multiple vehicle ownership. I rented a garage in town through my 20's, just for old cars, even when I lived in an apartment. Today, the non-automotive nature of the club meetings sends my interest to staying home and other pursuits. A lot of club functions are just old people going somewhere to eat. That group by the Model T might not warm up to that.

In an hour I am leaving for the Cadillac Club Spring Buffet 40 miles away, a grazing event. It is raining and I will show up in my '94 Impala, might be the only "old" car there.

More of the members have smart phones these days, but I am sure I will hear some condemnation of computers today.

There is just a very large cultural gap, experience gap, financial gap, and lifestyle gap. Recruiting young people is a nice thought in a single faceted world. Many things pulled and still pull at me. I just do what I like without coaxing. I guess that makes me feel younger.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, C Carl said:

If guys in their late 20s to 40 or so realized what an incredible "chick magnet" this 72 year old's Cadillac is

I've never had a car that attracted as many mid-50's women as my '60 Electra does.

I've had it for 15 years now and I'm beginning to like that more.

Bernie

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I've never had a car that attracted as many mid-50's women as my '60 Electra does.

I've had it for 15 years now and I'm beginning to like that more.

Bernie

I'm waiting for the right '67 Electra Limited to surface.

I hope I have as much luck as you. ;)

Life imitates art. Well, sometimes

4899272081_6cc3544910_z.jpg

Im very new here (only 2 days) and I find this to be such an interesting read. Im 36 and find im generally the youngest person around in these old car circles. When I was 16-25 I always had a Super Bee or Road Runner. For ten years I told myself I never wanted another old car. Always needing something and so on. Last year I changed my mind and bought a 48 Nash Ambassador. I was talking to guy in a parking lot who was checking out my Nash and was invited to come and check out the local antique car club. I accepted his invitation and went to the next meeting. I was by far the youngest person there by about 20 years which was not a problem, but I found that my presence made most people very uncomfortable. Out of around 60 people only 3 would talk to me (thats including the gentleman who invited me).  It was almost like they thought I had some disease. As you may imagine that was the last time I attended. I recently sold that car and bought a 29 Chev coupe. 

There are younger people out there that are interested in antique vehicles, but since Subaru and baby blue cars with LED lights on everything are the new trend because of movies there is no real place for a 20 year old who thinks a model A is the greatest thing around. Its just my 2 cents if you want a young generation to join up the existing members of clubs need to take the initiative and introduce these clubs to younger people through high school work shops (or other methods) showing some old school cars where these kids can work on something other than their parents mini van.

A fiend of mine became a shop teacher in a school where they were planning on eliminating the automotive program. He was told this would likely be the last year. He started a after school restoration club where the kids were full participants in restoring a 68 Dart GT convertible and a 55 Dodge. during school hours he would bring his Superbee and roadrunner and let the kids learn how brake systems and others work from these cars instead of boring diagrams or there minivan. The program went from the verge of being cancelled to now having a waiting list. Even if you are not in the class you can still joint the after hours restoration club and every club member gets to take the car for a cruse when they are finished.

Well, that,s just my opinion. If you don't agree that's just fine as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, theterrym said:

Im very new here (only 2 days)

Welcome, for sure.

I am here again for a while, as I am now working on two "stock type cars".  I was away for a long time as I was building an old time hotrod and posting on that type of site.  When I finally finished that car, I told the members that "I will be away for a spell as I will be doing a stock type car that does not belong there".  So I'm back here.

websites, if used with some thought like build threads, can keep you going when things slow down.  Me switching, also keeps me focused on stock ones, so I don't dare go on the hot rod site to get distracted.

3 hours ago, theterrym said:

I accepted his invitation and went to the next meeting. I was by far the youngest person there by about 20 years which was not a problem, but I found that my presence made most people very uncomfortable. Out of around 60 people only 3 would talk to me (that's including the gentleman who invited me).  It was almost like they thought I had some disease. As you may imagine that was the last time I attended.

I'm definitely younger than most people in my club, but since

car fans are bound by common interest, it makes us essentially

ageless. If you had a 1948 car, what a great benefit to

talk to people who knew them in and out as daily drivers!

I enjoy talking to people who know more than I, and who 

have been around longer.  Not long ago I met a man who

has owned the same car since 1935--that's 81 years, and

likely an unacknowledged world record.  I discussed

cars with him, printed in our club's newsletter an article he wrote,

and went to visit him at his house in the country.  I now have another friend.

Terry (I hope I got your name right), don't think that YOU

were the cause of people's shyness.  Some people in that

club were likely not the outgoing type:  Most people are not. 

Attending more, you'll get to know them better, and you'll find

that their friendly knowledge will be a tremendous benefit

to the enjoyment of your hobby.  A club like the AACA will

enlarge your circle of friends locally, and even nationwide.  

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)