Making the AACA More Appealing to Young People

I have not been to SEMA, so I might be saying what is all ready done. But getting some of the big full senior classics in front of the young custom builders will  get more of the younger people to see the other side of the car world. Plus it will show case the skill and talent on the restoration side. You would also see styling Q's from the classics move over to the custom scene. All of the top custom cars right now seem to be a throw back to early styling. I wonder why? You also have to start (slowly if it has to be) talking about some of the problems that do go on in this hobby/industry/trade. Who wants to start a business and get hammered just because you are trying to earn a living in the car world. Lots of good around here would come from the custom/classic car scene cleaning it's self up a bit. Crazy what goes on, it does more harm in the side effects than it could ever help drive a industry forward. There is a reason that cars are painted different colors. 

1 minute ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I have not been to SEMA, so I might be saying what is all ready done. But getting some of the big full senior classics in front of the young custom builders will  get more of the younger people to see the other side of the car world. Plus it will show case the skill and talent on the restoration side. You would also see styling Q's from the classics move over to the custom scene. All of the top custom cars right now seem to be a throw back to early styling. I wonder why? You also have to start (slowly if it has to be) talking about some of the problems that do go on in this hobby/industry/trade. Who wants to start a business and get hammered just because you are trying to earn a living in the car world. Lots of good around here would come from the custom/classic car scene cleaning it's self up a bit. Crazy what goes on, it does more harm in the side effects than it could ever help drive a industry forward. There is a reason that cars are painted different colors. 

Xander,

I tried this year's ago and arranged for a couple cars to go to SEMA.  Magnificent rare restorations and they were a big hit in the ARMO exhibit.  I watched as tatted up guys with earing's marveled over seeing a record player in a car.  I thought it would lead to a greater presence of historically correct cars in the show.  I was wrong.  SEMA is an amazing show and has a huge attendance.  Those walking at the convention are certainly skewed younger than what I see at most of our hobby events.  It is a great marketplace for us as people who love cars seem to have a love for all types or at least respect.  That is a very general statement and I know there are exceptions.

SEMA is so big it swallows up the restoration side of the hobby.  Restomods, street rods, tuners, etc are what predominate SEMA.  It was very frustrating for me to find a voice for us and it is the reason I did not run for re-election.  I am not finding fault with SEMA or ARMO it is just we did not have the same goals in mind.  I have not been back in several years so who knows maybe it is time and a different person might make it happen. 

AACA has thought about getting space there but it is an expensive proposition to properly man a booth at that event. 

14 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

What rubbish. And my parents had absolutely no interest in old cars. I defy anyone to say where any interest comes from. Sure, some are effected by what they were exposed to when young but others find their own way. So by this reasoning it must be my father's fault that I'm not a concert violist... that is what he was and what he wanted for me.

Well, I'd probably edit out the "what rubbish", but I understand what you're saying.

My parents were comfortable citizens of a small town in Louisiana, which was not exactly a hotbed of activity in the old car world in the 50's and 60's.  In the early 60's, when I was 12 years old or so, I saw a magazine with an old car on the cover.  Something about it hooked me.  In 1963, my father bought me a project 1931 Chevrolet, which I restored by 1966, and in 1965 (before I was through with the Chevy) he bought me a 1925 Dodge coupe.  Both of these cars were bought for me, by my VERY understanding and supportive father, before I was 15 years old (driver license age at that time in Louisiana).

I agree that no one can pinpoint where the old car bug comes from.  You might get it from your parents, who have old cars, you might just chance upon it, as I did. 

But, the critical thing, if you're young, is that your parents need to support you in your passion.  Let me repeat that, for all you parents, SUPPORT YOUR KIDS IN THEIR PASSION!!

I don't care if it's old cars, or art, or music, or twiddling their thumbs in the National Twiddling Competition.....don't dismiss their interest as "oh, he or she will get over that".

My parents embraced my passion, as they did my brother's interest in hunting, and it paid off in the long run.  My life is so much better, knowing who I do in the old car world, not to mention the great experiences and the places it's taken me.

OK, off my soapbox now....

• Like 3

Perhaps "rubbish" was a bit harsh but I was reacting to the "my parents did it right" comment  and the obvious inference that mine, or those like them, "did it wrong." That is no ones business who doesn't know me or my late parents. I have always given my father credit for never doing anything to interfere with my interests, which were very far from his.

Ok, I have not read through every post, but I have to add some thoughts on things that most definitely do not attract younger members.

Older members calling 1970's and later cars "used junk" does not endear them to younger members. I have seen it countless times on this forum, and also heard it many times in person. Not everyone shares your opinion. I may or may not be interested in your prewar car, but at least I don't call it old junk.

Clubs such as Packard and some others having their show day on a Thursday or other weekday. Younger members work. We are not all retired and able to attend weekday shows and driving tours.

I have had a hard time finding info on shows I know exist this year. Many marque specific websites have not been updated since 2015 or earlier. Good luck getting young people to show up at shows if there is no info on them online. Even the local AACA region had some events with no info other than a date and generic description such as "Wisconsin Driving Tour". I am not going to bother showing up if you cannot be bothered to give an itinerary.

Earlier this month I asked a simple question about a specific term for 2 door convertibles. Many members apparently thought they were being humorous or showing off knowledge by listing as many terms for convertible as possible, and how one obscure manufacturer called it a touring, but another manufacturer called it something else. Young people want a simple answer. If there isn't one, just say that. Otherwise you come across looking clueless or like a pompous jerk. Neither one attracts younger people.

At that same show I was asked to explain what Twin H-Power was on a Hudson. Try explaining that to someone that does not know what a carburetor or even fuel injection is, and hasn't even seen the movie "Cars". With a few simple questions back and forth, he now understands. He was happy he understood, and I was happy he got it. But based on my 2 door convertible post, I would hate to see what he would have been subjected to if he asked that question here.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I have been watching this posting for some time now and I've read a lot of postings here but very few postings address the question of what will it take to make the AACA more appealing to young people. My thoughts on this are take the word young out of the equation. I'm in my early 60's and for some people here that's young and I might post here, but I'm not a member of AACA.

I've had at least one old car or truck for almost 40 years, some of these old boats and box's have been touch and go, a couple have been frame off and kept for years. Long and the short of this is, that in all the years of having complete stranger's talk to me at stoplights, gas stations, parking lots and even car shows, no one has ever asked me if I was an AACA member and I don't know if I've ever met one.

It takes people meeting people to keep a club strong and help it grow. It doesn't matter what the hobby is, if you want to have a club for the hobby you have to get out and tell people where you are and invite them in. After that it's the Golden Rule and Pay it Forward.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, LINC400 said:

Older members calling 1970's and later cars "used junk" does not endear them to younger members. I have seen it countless times on this forum, and also heard it many times in person. Not everyone shares your opinion. I may or may not be interested in your prewar car, but at least I don't call it old junk.

Clubs

You should hear what's been said to me about my '89!! lol

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, AnniesSS said:

Excellent point, Annie.  If a young member cherished his

grandmother's old 1985 Chevrolet Celebrity, for example, and an

AACA member came along and disparaged it, such a 

brief encounter could undo the many man-hours of youth activities

and membership development that got him to a meet.

In my own case, despite a cheerful outlook, I get, like others,

the rare unappreciative remark.  It makes me not want to participate.

People go where they and their ideas are appreciated.

After all, a car club membership is a choice, and there are many choices.

Those things have probably been happening since the

beginning of the hobby, though, and thankfully the

supportive people do a lot of good through their support.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Digger914 said:

I have been watching this posting for some time now and I've read a lot of postings here but very few postings address the question of what will it take to make the AACA more appealing to young people. My thoughts on this are take the word young out of the equation. I'm in my early 60's and for some people here that's young and I might post here, but I'm not a member of AACA.

I've had at least one old car or truck for almost 40 years, some of these old boats and box's have been touch and go, a couple have been frame off and kept for years. Long and the short of this is, that in all the years of having complete stranger's talk to me at stoplights, gas stations, parking lots and even car shows, no one has ever asked me if I was an AACA member and I don't know if I've ever met one.

It takes people meeting people to keep a club strong and help it grow. It doesn't matter what the hobby is, if you want to have a club for the hobby you have to get out and tell people where you are and invite them in. After that it's the Golden Rule and Pay it Forward.

I agree. When you hear "How do we attract young people into the hobby", different people have very different ideas about what is meant by "young". We have youth members and student members in our local AACA Chapter, but most of the new members join in their 40s, 50s, and 60s. This is the demographic that more easily lends itself to having a sufficent place to store or work on a hobby car. This is the demographic that is more likely to have sufficent disposable income to be able to afford a hobby car. This is the demographic that is most likely to have the time for the hobby. 

I am a bit different. I am 56 and have been in the club for a couple of decades. I was the Chapter President before age 40 and I remember back then, we were discussing how to get "Youth" into the hobby and AACA defined "Youth" as 40 or younger.

You are absolutely correct about the need to invite folks to join us. I bought a really rough old Model A Ford as my first antique car.  A friend knew a local AACA member who worked with his Dad. He introduced me. The gentleman asked me to drive my Model A over to see him. He quite simply lied to me about what a "Nice Model A" I had and invited me to a meeting. I went to the meeting with my wife and young son. We were welcomed like old friends, joined the club and have been active ever since. I have a lot of friends in the club. Most of my friends are older than I am. I have learned a lot from them over the years.

The presence of a local Chapter or Region really helps the hobby grow in a healthy manner. If there is not a Chapter or Region in your area, I suggest you start one.  I am retired and own my own small business. I typically drive one of my antique cars to lunch or dinner on a daily basis. I talk to folks whenever I see another old car or whenever they want to to talk about mine. I hand out club business cards and invite people to join the club on a regular basis. It is easy to get people to join when they show up to a meeting and are treated like friends.  

• Like 1

I believe another problems in memberships is also being able to keeping the ones you have. You have to have events for the early cars also as well as the newer cars to keep people interested in staying in the club. Now I am talking regional events as most early car members do not travel long distance's to events for various reasons. This year I know my region lost 3 members that I know of that have pre 1931 cars. Now I may be talking a minority but they all ad up.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, LINC400 said:

Ok, I have not read through every post, but I have to add some thoughts on things that most definitely do not attract younger members.

1 hour ago, AnniesSS said:

Sadly Annie, you are not alone. Both my point judged and HPOF cars are from the 1980s.

When I first joined AACA and brought my point judged vehicle to Fall Hershey the first few years I showed it I heard a number of very negative comments (like LINC400 mentioned) as I drove into the show field. I chose to ignore those negative comments and chalked it up to some people's opinions/mindset and lack of what I call "Automotive Respect". To me, "Automotive Respect" is the appreciation of all vehicles and their place in automotive history and respect for their owners. I might not want to own a particular vehicle or vehicles from other eras, put I can appreciate, respect and admire them and their owners.

Anyway, over the years I have met many other AACA members from around the USA and made a number of friendships. Had I not chosen to ignore the negative comments (which I still hear once in a great while even though my vehicles are currently 37 and 30 years old) I would have missed out on these friendships and the new people I meet and friends I make at every AACA Meet I attend.

BTW, a couple of years after I started bringing my point judged vehicle to Fall Hershey I met an AACA member who told me he worked in the plant that assembled my car and that he actually built part of it. I never would have had the opportunity to talk with this gentleman had I not ignored the negative comments and continued my AACA membership for the last 12 or so years.

After I joined AACA I started talking about the club and Fall Hershey to other automotive enthusiasts I know. One year those conversations brought two of these people to a Fall Meet (day trip). The next year year they brought their RV for Hershey Week, walked the entire flea market  and went to the car show. Two years ago they decided to join the AACA at Fall Hershey. Ever since that first year, Fall Hershey has been a part of their annual car event calendar. 

To me, the AACA is about the people one meets and friendships made coming together because of our shared love for automotive vehicles. Yes, the vehicles are GREAT too.

Charlie

• Like 1

On 5/18/2017 at 6:40 PM, Turismo said:

It's astonishing that some of these are even considered classics. Has anyone ever suggested changing this AACA guideline to, maybe, 30 years or older, 35, etc?

It used to be that way.  Up until 1968 a car could not be newer than 1935 no matter how old it was, except for a few recognized classics like the Lincoln Continental.  In 1968, they started taking in one new year every other year, and by 1973 they were up t 1938.  In 1974 they finally started taking in cars 25 years.  Those old guys, the age of my father almost drove all of the young people out.  Now I'm and old guy the age my father was then (sort of).  I look at a 1985 or a 1990 and wonder the same thing, and then I tell myself, I don't ever want to be like those old guys the age of my father.  Many young people today, age 25-30 grew up riding in their parents' car back in those days and fell in love with that car as I did a 1939 Buick.  Us old guys should welcome them.

• Like 4

On 7/11/2017 at 9:33 PM, LINC400 said:

That ain't nuthin' new Pal.  The old guys called my '39 Buick an "old USED CAR".  I stuck it out and fought the system, making me very unpopular for as long as they lived.  When I became President of the AACA in 2004, in my acceptance "speech" I outlawed the use of the term "used car", but I guess it didn't stick.  Anyway, remember this, you young people have a leg up on the old guys.  You'll outlive them, and I'm here to prove it.

• Like 1

Now to the point of what the parents have or have not done to introduce their kids to the hobby.  Back in the 1965-1970 period, more or less, our Region had yearly contests for car models and stuff like that.  Most all of us had young kids at the time.  Not one single kid from that club grew up to take up the hobby.  My daughter judged for awhile until time and cost of rent and all of that pushed her away. 

My Dad hated the idea of an old car.  The only reason he drove a 1939 Buick for 10 years was because he couldn't get a new car during and right after the War.  He always told me, "you're never going to amount to anything as long as you keep fooling with those old junk cars."  That is a direct quote!  Years later when I sold my 1941 Buick Limited (still regret) and paid off the 6% loan on my house during 15% times, at a discount, he told all of his friends, "Do you know there are people out there who are crazier than my Son.  He got X dollars for an old Buick and paid off his house.  Well at least that was a good thing he's done."

I got my love for old Buicks two ways.  One was, I had an Uncle with a farm in Montross, VA, where we often went on weekends.  He had really old cars strewn all over the farm, and I played in and on them.

Two came from traveling to far off places (for me, as a kid) in the back seat of that '39 Buick.  Hence, my first car looked exactly like the car in the picture to the left...$100 of my paper-route money.  I never turned back. I read every issue of Motor Trend for "Classic Comments".  At one point I gave into an early girlfriend and traded my Buick in (for $50 with 37K miles on it) for a 1952 Plymouth.  That didn't keep her.  So, in 1957 I bought another '39 Buick for $15 and sold it for $30, and then the week after my wife and our honeymoon I got another '39 Buick for $40.  I got it running and we used it for a second car, until a guy offered me $100.  Then it was a '47 Dodge, then a '49 Buick.  My Dad loaned us the money to buy our first house, and then the refrigerator broke done.  He offered to give me the money for a new refrigerator, ONLY if I would sell the '49 Buick, which I sold for $215.  A year later my wife got me a '34 Pontiac for Christmas for $95, but only a '39 Buick would do me then, so I sold it for $110 and a year after that borrowed $120 to buy the car in the picture to the left.  It was a straight sedan.  It took 18 years to restore it to be exactly like that first one I had at 16, 12 years of which I was fighting AACA to be able to even drive it on the field.  Young people, don't stand for that "old used junk" some people will throw at you.  Enjoy what turns you on and you will outlive the detractors.  By the way, the car at the left won a Grand National Senior as late as 2000, and along the way it had two nominations for a National Award.  The cars I like the best ARE now priced out of sight, even for me, but you still have a lot of time to buy and restore the cars you probably like the best.  Go for it!

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dynaflash8 said:

My Dad hated the idea of an old car.  The only reason he drove a 1939 Buick for 10 years was because he couldn't get a new car during and right after the War.  He always told me, "you're never going to amount to anything as long as you keep fooling with those old junk cars." 

My dad used much more colorful language to describe my first classic and he was not happy. He was in the new car business, his cousins were in the new car business, his friends were in the new car business. At the time I got my first "classic" I was living about 5 miles west of his Lincoln store, people who worked for him could see my house from the highway on their way into work and his son had an old piece of $#!+ sitting in his driveway.

I bought the thing from a picture, had it towed up from Death Valley and like my dad said "could have bought a decent car" for the money I put into it. The old man didn't have one nice thing to say about my old Ford. About a year later a man my dad respected saw the car, liked the car and told my dad that having a show room new old car out on the point, or on the floor was good for business in the slow months. Dad didn't actually ever say anything nice about my old Ford, he did go out and get one that was older and just as nice, then he started taking classics in on trade and keeping them.

Some random thoughts

.5 of our 6 employees are under 35. Another is 42. We have a young Summer intern from one of the Antique Restoration degree granting schools. My Son, who is taking over the business, is 33. We have several customers who are avid pre war enthusiasts and are under the age of 40. One drives a '35 Pontiac, another a Rickenbaker. 1950's and 1960's Cadillacs are hot at the moment and we have a steady stream of youngish customers with such cars. From where I sit I don't think the problem is getting young folks interested in old cars. The interest is there. We just need to get them into AACA. Anyone else familiar with The Race of Gentleman? AACA needs to think outside the box and come up with more active events rather than more static displays of old cars. Sell the sizzle and they will buy the steak.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

...  Up until 1968 a car could not be newer than 1935 no matter how old it was, except for a few recognized classics like the Lincoln Continental.  In 1968, they started taking in one new year every other year, and by 1973 they were up t 1938.  In 1974 they finally started taking in cars 25 years.  Those old guys, the age of my father almost drove all of the young people out. ... 

That's interesting, and I had heard about that, generally.

However, does anyone know AACA's age-eligibility rules

BEFORE that time period?  I acquired an old 1955 issue

of the AACA's Antique Automobile magazine, and it lists

all the senior award winners up to that point in 1955.

There must have been no Senior awards issued before 1952,

as none are listed.

Among cars in Class 19, there are 1933 and 1934 Packards

(22 and 21 years old) and a 1937 Cord (only 18 years old)!

In other classes, I see nothing newer than the late 1920's, and

the vast majority of the cars were from the beginning up through the 'Teens.

The average car winning a Senior award was approximately 40 years old.

I was attending meets in the 1972 to 1976 era as a spectator with an unfinished "project" at home. I worked a swing shift for ten years, all three shifts in a week to cover the other operators days off, so my social life was limited to friends with the same interests. I had one weekend off per month and that even limited attendance at car shows. That covered the time I was in my 20's.

My memories are of a very cliquish group. There was little tolerance of anything outside their standard. A few curmudgeons dominated group conversations. And the bib overalled, pale, palsied Model T owners worried about all the Model A Fords with non-original parts from Sears and Roebuck's. Some of those "out of step with The League" might show up with a lesser condition car and were more or less shunned and set aside. There is a Pebble Beach Selden that I vividly remember getting the brush when its owner showed up with a soft tire and a drip under the radiator. I remember an open Wills-St. Claire with some sheet metal patches screwed to the lower body as well.

They were small, 40 or 50 cars meets and exclusive. In the sense that if you weren't part of the inner circle you were excluded. It was an extension of the old men whom had taught me to pretty much stay away from them when I was in my teens and had a great interest.

I would say Dynaflash had similar experiences. My "old" cars range in age from 69 (my age) to 22 years old. Each has a reason it belongs to me, all reasons that developed during my formative years. It is the cars that keep me in the car hobby. My greatest enjoyment is time I spend alone with them. If I get too old to work in the garage I may trade them off for women of similar ages. That would certainly be an exclusive thing for me.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Some random thoughts

"The interest is there. We just need to get them into AACA. Anyone else familiar with The Race of Gentleman? AACA needs to think outside the box and come up with more active events rather than more static displays of old cars. Sell the sizzle and they will buy the steak."

Couldn't agree more. I remember the meets around the Rochester NY area back in the early to mid 60's. They were fun,

They were generally held in a local park on the grass and involved various forms of competition. Standing start to a stop a few hundred feet away, get out and pick up something, turn around and come back. An obstacle course run with the passenger holding a spoon with an egg on it out the window. Backing through an obstacle course. Various Model "T" tricks, etc.

My favorite was an obstacle course with the driver blindfolded. My father had me get on the running board of his 1933 Pierce-Arrow and told me he was going to keep it in low gear with the throttle down and to just keep saying right, straight or left depending on which way he should steer. All went well until I panicked and quit talking, he kept going and I regained my composure just when people started scattering. We easily turned in the best time. Funny, they never had that event again.

I think owner participation is the key - not sitting behind a static car all day. Everyone enjoys driving their old car - why not give them the opportunity to show it off in motion if that is their desire (current liability issues aside - I don't think that the blindfolded obstacle course was a good idea even back then)..

Just my two cents

On 5/19/2017 at 9:52 PM, auburnseeker said:

The mindset has changed though to.  Guys are realizing that unless they are really in love with a particular car,  you can borrow the money up front to buy a better turn key cart,  dump alot more into that project than one of those other turn key cars are and be driving it tomorrow.   We all know it's easy to dump 40 plus thousand into a car that is only worth 20,000 or like model could be bought turn key today for 20,000 that already had the other guy dump 40 G into it.   I had a pretty nice little 48 Plymouth rag top with nice correct interior and top, almost all new chrome and a bunch of nice period accessories.  A ton of mechanical refurbishment done all new tires and brakes,  on the road reliably running and driving with everything working the way it should.  It needed paint but was a pretty nice body.   I struggled for a long time selling it and finally gave into a cash in hand offer of 14,500.  That was below my rock bottom firm price of 15,000.    47-48 Plymouth ragtops seem to fall flat on their face,  no matter how nice they are at 20G. 

This answers both auburnseeker and John_S thoughts:  In today's climate I have found there is nothing worse to get done than a decent paint job.  I've had one car held up on me now for a year a half.  I'll never paint another car.  I am not going to retrogress here to the good old days when bodymen anxiously wanted to work for you in their home garage at a reduced rate. Gone.  As for borrowing money, that's one place that the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree.  My Dad told me for every dollar I would borrow, I'd have to make two to pay it back.  Now, in my advanced years, I find nothing out there is worth borrowing money for, especially a collector car, and I don't need another house or vacation home.  I'm trying to sell one of those now.  So, with the old ways gone, and for me not in the too distant past.  The last 1948 Plymouth ragtop I bought was in 1958 and it ran and cost me $55. :)  Now that $55 would equate to what?....$5500!  That's still a lot of money to me.  I looked at an '85 El Dorado yesterday with a faded and flattened brown paint job and they guy wanted $4500.  I was going to leave it in the garage at the summer house in VA until I can sell it.  It looked more like $1500 to me. :)  But, as you get old  you start living in the past.  Great paint job, well then I could maybe have seen 12G in it.  But, we digress.  The subject is what we have to do to get more younger people into the hobby...well, one is reduce the prices on the newer antiques so they can buy them and still feed their kids and pay the mortgage.  Not all of them make 100G a year, especially the ones likely to be most interested like mechanics.

Oh, and before I forget, I think Class 20 (1930-1935) was created by the AACA Board in 1960 to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the Club.  I had one old Director tell me in about 1966 that AACA would never go higher than the Founding year of 1935, but that might have been for the Glidden Tour, the only Tour they had until the Reliability Tour was created....ummmm, I'll say that was in 1966.  I was at Philadelphia when it was announced and I was there every year from 1965 forward.  I was 26 the first time I went.

• Like 1

I will say there are some collector cars well worth borrowing money for.  I should have borrowed some a few years ago and bought several cars I really liked.  They far outpaced what the cost of the loan carried to full term amounted to and now will cost me alot more money to buy.  

I like flawless paint as much as the next guy,  but my expectations have been rolled back a bit.  You miss alot of fun in old cars if you are worried about the paint being perfect.  Save 10 G off the price of your next car by buying one with a nice body but so so paint.  If it's not falling off,  you would be amazed what some careful wet sanding and buffing can do to a crumby paint job. 

Mechanics are getting as expensive as paint.  Especially if you can't do the work yourself.  Finding good shops is equally tough,  that know how to properly diagnose a problem and correctly fix it. 

Even if alot of the ones I have posted haven't had perfect paint,  I think you will learn to live with their flaws especially when your friends say you bought it that cheap? 

2 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

The subject is what we have to do to get more younger people into the hobby...well, one is reduce the prices on the newer antiques so they can buy them and still feed their kids and pay the mortgage.

This made me laugh.......again.

While communicating with the now buyer of my '24 Dodge he told me he had spoiled his kids.........they expect to eat three times a day........ :P

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

I think you would have to increase the age also. Maybe under 35 to get viable possible new members.  Laws could be a problem with under 21. The under 35 could also have kids that then may pick up the interest. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I like flawless paint as much as the next guy,  but my expectations have been rolled back a bit.  You miss alot of fun in old cars if you are worried about the paint being perfect.  Save 10 G off the price of your next car by buying one with a nice body but so so paint.  If it's not falling off,  you would be amazed what some careful wet sanding and buffing can do to a crumby paint job. 

I didn't say flawless.  I mean respectable, like not dull, not surface rust or a surface that looks like the moon, but shines from 10 feet away, 5 feet better.  Flawless to me is no orange peel, some decent reflection, without satin finish on the doors.  Flawless, you can brush your teeth in the sides of the doors.. 

Yes it is, if you live in Maine, even if the engine isn't original like so many these days.  At the cost of shipping, it would be too expensive for most young people making $20-30K a year, married and possibly having children...and not living with mom and dad.  The last car I had shipped cost $750 central Florida to eastern Virginia.  It's $1200 from Detroit area to central Florida, $2200 from Oregon to central Florida.

This is just examples of cars in my area.  A particularly hard area to find anything decent because of the rust.  Every area has stuff like this.   I'm sure Florida is loaded as well maybe even more with all the retirees bringing their cars with them when they move.   I used to see lots of great stuff in the traders when I was down there visiting my sisters.  

18 hours ago, vermontboy said:

I think owner participation is the key - not sitting behind a static car all day. Everyone enjoys driving their old car - why not give them the opportunity to show it off in motion if that is their desire (current liability issues aside - I don't think that the blindfolded obstacle course was a good idea even back then)..

Just my two cents

I agree! I like talking with people I meet at shows, but I haven't been to a show in several years. I didn't spend seven of my childhood years restoring a car with my father just so I could sit around in the sun and look at it. If I get to spend a day with a car I'd much rather be out driving it. I also drive at least one of mine just about daily depending on the weather. I've found that also tends to lessen my interest in going to shows on the weekends when I should be wrenching on the others so I'll have something to get me to work the next week. 

I've got several friends my age that feel the same about their older cars. We're young and have a lot to get done during the short weekends. I love sitting around and shooting the manure with older car enthusiasts but with property maintenance, vehicle maintenance, a kid, a honey-do list, and being on call my car club time is nearing extinction. I discovered the P15-D24 forum several years ago and really enjoy being able to connect with the vast knowledge base when it fits into my schedule. Since then I've joined several other forums as well. I keep setting my sights on retiring in 35-50 years and finally being able to play with my cars all day.

I'd be interested to hear how many of y'all with more life experience than us made it to car shows, and club events regulary when you were in your 20s and 30s? Just because we don't make the potluck every other Thursday evening doesn't mean there's no younger people with interest in the classics. 

To quote Vermontboy again, "just my two cents"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

This is just examples of cars in my area.  A particularly hard area to find anything decent because of the rust.  Every area has stuff like this.   I'm sure Florida is loaded as well maybe even more with all the retirees bringing their cars with them when they move.   I used to see lots of great stuff in the traders when I was down there visiting my sisters.  

I'm in Sebring, come by and visit next winter.  Now here in Virginia there are virtually no cars for sale.  There is a 1985 Cadillac Ed Dorado coupe at $4500, very dull paint, broken cruise and radio, good A/C.  There is a 1980 Ford Thunderbird, looks nice with broken A/C for $4500 and that is it.  And to, when you're barely making ends meet, try to explain to your wife why you need to spend $4500 on an old car.  In the country you put on 50,000 miles a year on a regular car.  When I'm in Virginia I drive an average of 100 miles a day, and I'm retired.  In Sebring there are NO cars for sale at lower prices, and 95% of the cars there are streetrods.  There might be some cars in Florida, not in south central Florida, and there were never any in the Tampa Tribune, which now, since it was sold, we can't get in Sebring anymore.  All we have is a small local newspaper with no ads.  Maybe in the big city there are some out there.  Evidently you are adept at using Craigs List, I'm not.

12 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I think you would have to bump it up to a 5000 car but at that I have seen some pretty neat cars from the 50's and 60's....  

People like all sorts of cars, but everyone must remember that a teenager

might appreciate a car from the 1980's as much as others like a 1950 Ford.

Hagerty Insurance wrote that cars of the 1950's are seeing lessening

demand.  An 18-year-old born in 1999 might love something like

a 1992 Ford Thunderbird, a 1990 Chevrolet Lumina, or a 1978 Oldsmobile

Cutlass Salon fastback. (Even I'd appreciate a Cutlass fastback!)

They could be interesting and unusual to a person  who hasn't seen those cars. 

A novice's viewpoint may be different, and let's appreciate that.

I just post what I do because these seem to be the type of cars every one complains they can't find in this price range.  If i wanted to bump it 70's and newer,  I wouldn't have enough time in the day to post them all.  Under 5,000 will get you alot of super nice maybe even one owner cars with low sometimes even crazy low mileage.  I knew of a 1985 Olds sedan with I think 6,000 miles on it that was in storage but pretty much turn key that looked truly showroom new.   That was for sale for $5500 and hadn't been advertised anywhere.  My Dad bought 4 years ago a really good 90 Mustang convertible that he put new tires on and gave a really good cleaning with no rust for 1200 from a local lady.  His wife drove it nice summer days and he sold it a few years later within a couple of hours of putting it out in front of my shop with a sign on it for I think triple what he paid for it.  

3 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Yes it is, if you live in Maine, even if the engine isn't original like so many these days.  At the cost of shipping, it would be too expensive for most young people making $20-30K a year, married and possibly having children...

Plenty of graduates, especially if they worked hard at a

well-reputed college and earned a degree related to engineering

and science, can find good jobs with good pay.  If they live modestly,

they can probably afford an old car--if they want to.  I bought my

first antique car (27 years old) a month after graduating.   Here are

some current starting salaries quoted by Forbes magazine:

Selected major Average Range
Computer science $72,071 $15,000 – $145,000
Engineering $69,729 $20,000 – $200,000
MBA $62,700 $10,000 – $151,000
Physical & biological sciences $59,204 $10,000 – $200,000
Accounting $58,159 $10,000 – $144,000
LIR/HR $58,125 $10,000 – $127,000
Health sciences MS & MSW $53,283 $10,000 – $175,000
Social sciences MA & MS $48,697 $10,000 – $150,000

PhD and Professional Degrees

Starting Salaries — PhD & Professional
Selected major Average Range
Pharmacy $89,725 $20,000 – $146,000
Engineering & computer science $77,811 $20,000 – $168,000
Law $74,130 $20,000 – $200,000
Physical & biological sciences $73,422 $20,000 – $141,000
Business $67,578 $20,000 – $188,000
Social sciences & humanities $58,897 $16,000 – $123,000

Perhaps one of the mistakes that are made when attracting the younger generation is us old folks trying to get the younger people interested in the cars that were popular when we were young. I'm 65+ and the cars that I feel were the cars of my day were built in the late '60s and early '70s. When I talk about those cars to younger folks they have little or no interest in those cars. Now, I have an '88 Buick Reatta (a sleek looking 2 seater) that draws little attention at the car shows from the older crowd. They are busy looking at the '55 chevys and the A models.  I get a lot more attention and questions about my car from the younger guys who want to know what it is and they ask questions about it. Same is true for when I'm driving it. Younger people have come up to me at gas stations asking questions about my car. I was pulled over by a young guy driving a rice burner with a beer can muffler wanting to look at my Ferrari. LOL. It is always young people who show an interest in my car. My whole point is the club might be promoting the wrong cars to the younger generation. It might be better to promote cars to them that are more in line to what the can recognize as antique cars from their generation instead of ours.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Easy way to come up with extra funds for an old car project.  Buy a used car in most cases instead of new.  You not only save on the purchase but also the sales tax.  If you must buy new,  Don't get every option.  When you can buy the one model for 20G or the more loaded for 25G but don't really need the extras, you buy the cheaper one.  You saved enough to buy your old car for 5000 right there and saved enough on sales tax to even pay the sales tax on that new old 5000 car.   

I bought one new vehicle.  Primarily because my Mom worked for Ford and the incentive for employees meant I could order a brand new truck with everything I wanted in the exact color for what a 3 year old truck cost off the lots in whatever color they had available.   I will probably never buy another myself.   That's too much money I can spend on my old cars.  I sold the new one after 6 years of ownership though I treated it more like my old cars than a truck.  Always garaged and cleaned,  never driven in salt or bad weather whenever possible. I kept my junker i was going to use to replace it with.     Replaced it with a similar truck used that I got a deal on and had shipped up from FL to avoid rust issues.  Walked away with about 10 G in my Pocket after the swap.  Which went to buy another old car.  

Living in the the North east makes car ownership a bit more challenging not only in finding clean old cars but also trying to milk whatever you can out of your "driver" before the tin worm consumes it. 

If i was in a dry climate I would be driving a 30 year old pickup still.  Probably that I bought 15-20 years ago.