Cross Country Road Trip! What would you drive?

Brass is Best

How about a question just for fun. With summer fast approaching what antique car would you most like to drive across the United States? Unlimited time and budget. Would you take The Lincoln Highway, Route 66 or another route? I wouldn't mind driving the Lincoln Highway with a Cadillac Model Thirty or Model A Ford.

11cad17h.jpg

28fordor10.jpg

• Like 1

How about a 1975-78 Lincoln Town Car 

with a 460 engine--with family, with a soft velour interior.

They are some of the smoothest riding cars ever made,

and much more comfortable than today's vehicles.

And not a mile of Interstate highway, but 2-lane

highways through smaller towns and countryside

all the way.  Soft breeze, temperatures 70 to 80.

Nice question, Andy!  Let's see all the good ideas people have.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I owned a 1964 Chrysler Imperial 4 door Crown for a few years when the kids were growing up. They could play board games on the back floor ! It also got 18 to 19 mpg

on trips and would cruise effortlessly at 70 plus. The 413 was flawless and easy to repair if necessary. I replaces a water pump - 4 bolts if I recall correctly and I think it took about half an hour.

It didn't "float" and although steering feel was non-existent it handled quite well. I would upgrade to a dual master cylinder but aside from that it's quick and comfortable and quiet.

We did the trip in 2010 in our 1946 Ford "Woodie" wagon, from Long Island, NY to Encinetas CA.  Plenty of room for spare parts and "stuff" the wife purchases along the way. We did take the Lincoln Highway and Rt. 66 as much as we could and tried to avoid the interstate as much as possible. I can't begin to tell you all the places we took in. About 8000 miles round trip.

• Like 2

Guest rb1949

No specific vehicle, hopefully a dependable one and have fun. Drive 5 hr per day. Good luck to those who can do it.

I just bought a 64 Dodge pick up that is in Tucson.

I am flying down there on the 15th to drive it home.

Hope the old slant has some life left in it.

Approx 1800 miles with a couple of planned side trips.

I love an adventure.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Remeber the definition of Adventure though Jack, someone far away in deep dodo

I have considered that if it totally pukes I may be out what I paid for it.

If I get most of the way I can hitch home and get my trailer.

Of have it shipped like I should have done in the first place. LOL

But its spring somewhere, My buddy in Palo Verde said it was in the 90s there yesterday. (stopping there) I need to get out of this rain if even for just a few days.

I have a booth and a big commitment to the PIR swap meet next week and this thing is famous for being ruined by weather.

Good or bad I am outta here for a bit.

• Like 2

Sounds good, but what route in a prewar car like the ones Brass Is Best posted?  Who has done it and which way did you go? Assuming your prewar car is not a Buick Century or a supercharged Graham or something, are there slow enough roads today?

Many of you know Joe Swann and his wife.  They crossed the country and back in their early EMF touring car.  Here's a link to their blog about the trip, it seems to start at the "end", so you may have to thumb though the pages if you want to read it in order.

It can be done, you just need lots of time and patience, and as mentioned, travel the back roads.  Today, traveling is all about getting point A to point B as quickly as possible.  Taking your time and savoring the sights, smells, and adventures along the way is alien to many people.  I know that it's a different experience, having driven early cars,  driving slowly, noticing things along the road, feeling the temperature differences and just enjoying being alive....

http://bswann1912.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2015-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2016-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=50   

Now that you fellas have picked out your car here is your chance to do a coast to coast tour for 2017. Now remember the Canadian dollar has tanked this year and I can testify to it having payed 37% on top of the price of the 1915 Model T I bought in Detroit Sunday. Gas, food motels 37% off every thing you spend on when on the Canadian Coast to Coast tour this year because of the weak Canadian dollar. I am one hour east of Toronto and if any of you forum guys go and need a hand when in my area call me if I can help you out.  https://www.canadiancoasters.ca/2017-tour-information

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

It's on my list to get a Model T and use it as my daily driver for a year. I think it would be a valuable perspective. Plus they are not rare and parts are easy to get so general maintenance would be comparable to what it was when new, maybe easier.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about driving a 56 year old Buick Electra from western New York out to Brookfield, Wisconsin late in June.

I will probably run the first 100-150 miles at 70 mph to get away from areas I know and then drop to Routes 20, 5,22, and 6. I know the back way into Auburn from the east, and have to drive through South Bend to see the "After the Bomb" look of the old Studebaker factory. Then down to RT 6 and avoid the traffic in Gary. An apogee swing out past past Chicago will mean about an hour of smelling garbage near Joliet but then it will be right on in to Milwaukee.

Maybe I'll take the north route home through Ontario.

I better prepare. I'll throw in a gallon jug of water, just in case.

Bernie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I'm thinking about driving a 56 year old Buick Electra from western New York out to Brookfield, Wisconsin late in June.

I will probably run the first 100-150 miles at 70 mph to get away from areas I know and then drop to Routes 20, 5,22, and 6. I know the back way into Auburn from the east, and have to drive through South Bend to see the "After the Bomb" look of the old Studebaker factory. Then down to RT 6 and avoid the traffic in Gary. An apogee swing out past past Chicago will mean about an hour of smelling garbage near Joliet but then it will be right on in to Milwaukee.

Maybe I'll take the north route home through Ontario.

I better prepare. I'll throw in a gallon jug of water, just in case.

Bernie

Be sure to pack your passport if you plan on going through Canada.

On 3/28/2017 at 11:01 AM, JACK M said:

With all this in mind I could stop in Phoenix and drag granny's piano up to Portland for you in exchange for gas money.

It might just make it.

Jack....feel free to stop by the "other Phoenix". I will be here.

Thanks for the invite John.

I will give you a call when I get an itinerary.

It will be around the 21st or 22nd.

Are you coming up for the swap meet?

I'm in space # 2011A at the race track.

Its in the chicane off the end of the drag strip.

Any forum members are welcome to stop by and look at my junk.

I will be selling these.

IM003468.JPG

IM003337.JPG

I have a p/u like that, was my father's, it is now rusting, D100 Fleetside, Dodge 318 wide block V8 longbed, 3 speed on the tree, brown goldish metallic, mom and dad bought it in 1968 with a camper shell on it, it is a 1964. It is what I learned to drive a stick shift with.

I think I'd go for an early 60s Corvette convertible on Route 66, in the hopes of reenacting some of the adventures of Buz and Tod on the TV show of the same name.

Or, I'd go for a Sunbeam Tiger, in the hopes of reenacting some of Maxwell Smart's adventures...but I'd have to find a suitable "99" as well. 

Edited by GT52
spelling (see edit history)

I will join Bernie in driving a 1960 Buick to Brookfield Wi around July 4th. Seems we go up and down through country as oppose to cross country. Any way 1200 miles away from big cities once we get past Dallas. North through OK, Iowa and other states like that.

14 hours ago, mike6024 said:

I have a p/u like that, was my father's, it is now rusting, D100 Fleetside, Dodge 318 wide block V8 longbed, 3 speed on the tree, brown goldish metallic, mom and dad bought it in 1968 with a camper shell on it, it is a 1964. It is what I learned to drive a stick shift with.

I've been liking these old pick up lately, You can see one on the back ground in a previous post,. That one is a 67 D200 with a three speed. The slant six runs well but I really wanted to do a D100. So the D200 is for sale.

When I spotted this 1964 D100 with a four speed behind the slant I just had to have it. After a few conversations with the seller I decided to take the chance.

Its a short box and he tells me that everything works except the plugged off heater and the gas gauge. I walked him thru the trouble shooting of the gauge and we figured it to be a sender. I now have one of those in my suitcase along with a bunch of tools.

I have always found that if one goes to the trouble to bring tools they wont be needed.

• Like 1

So many choices.  Any one of a few Full Classics - open or closed, hmm.  Or an MB 300 SL roadster (would bake in the gullwing) or a '63 Lincoln Convertible..  Of course why not go in my favorite all time car, a Stutz Bearcat.  Using Bob's logic, money is no object so I would have a support truck follow...

But back to reality - Jack M, in '81 or '82 two friends of mine drove from CT to Iowa in one of those mid-sixties Dodge pick ups with a slant 6 in it, to tow back a '40 Packard 110 sedan.  The were around age 21 - 22 at the time and did the run with no issues.  Obviously the Dodge was older, but not quite an "antique" at the time.  No cell phones, and I doubt they had a credit card between them.  My friend Rick has the Packard to this day, and is just now finishing up the restoration.

• Like 1

I had a 1962 D100 6 cylinder 3 spd  low posi rear end with out much floor left. I gave it away running with just over 300,000 miles on it.

My old truck was used for parts to put this other truck back on the road ( drive-train )

The cab on top and the box under it are from my truck.

I would have no problem taking a long trip in it @ 55 MPH.

002.JPG

2 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

So many choices.  Any one of a few Full Classics - open or closed, hmm.  Or an MB 300 SL roadster (would bake in the gullwing) or a '63 Lincoln Convertible..  Of course why not go in my favorite all time car, a Stutz Bearcat.  Using Bob's logic, money is no object so I would have a support truck follow...

But back to reality - Jack M, in '81 or '82 two friends of mine drove from CT to Iowa in one of those mid-sixties Dodge pick ups with a slant 6 in it, to tow back a '40 Packard 110 sedan.  The were around age 21 - 22 at the time and did the run with no issues.  Obviously the Dodge was older, but not quite an "antique" at the time.  No cell phones, and I doubt they had a credit card between them.  My friend Rick has the Packard to this day, and is just now finishing up the restoration.

But does he still have the pick up?

I do have a cell phone and a credit card, so not much excitement there.

On 3/28/2017 at 1:20 AM, Brass is Best said:

Unlimited time and budget. Would you take The Lincoln Highway, Route 66 or another route?

Never had the option of unlimited time or money, but I do have a map of the North America in my office with spaghetti line routes all over it.  All 48 of the continental United States plus Canada & Mexico in old cars.  The routes, usually back roads, not secondary highways but county and state roads where we could really see America.  

Most of the trips were in real old cars of the mid 30's.  First it was a 1934 Ford Tudor V8 for 2 Great American Races, then 9 more Great American Races in a 1935 Chrysler Airflow, straight 8.  John Classen, the Director of Competition had a knack for find routes across the country that some of which I've been unable to find since then, but I can tell you we saw very little of the Interstate Highway System.  We did Route 66, the Lincoln Highway, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Coastal Highways, The Loneliest Rd,, Garden of the Gods, and on and on.  Always with 120 other real antique cars.

Prior to the GAR I did 15,000 miles with 3 other teenagers in a loop of America for the Seattle Worlds Fair in 1962 in a 56 Ford.  Then in 1968 I did a similar trip with my bride in a Porsche Speedster and again 10 years later in a 240Z.  I don't think the car makes as much difference in enjoyment as the route.  Although the car adds to the adventure because in an antique car everyone knows you are on a great adventure and they are interested in knowing somebody who would do such a fun thing..

Before the 87 Race.jpg

TedsTaxi2.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JACK M said:

But does he still have the pick up?

I do have a cell phone and a credit card, so not much excitement there.

Jack, he has remains of the Pick up, as frame rusted after decades of year round use here in CT.  He drove it in HS and I remember on snowy days we would put a couple engine blocks in the bed for traction - it would go anywhere then.  Since then he has had probably 10 Dodge pick ups of that vintage, and is restoring one or two now.  I believe he sold one about 3 - 4 years ago for a movie that was filming on location in NJ, I think?  Easiest sale ever, they wanted a Dodge P/U from that era, in a certain color, and it was running and driving.  

While last year's choice was the 1941 Cadillac convertible for seven (7) consecutive tours,

571c3c7fae94f_1941CaddyatCruiseNight.JPG.dca79276c92f8f64d0637f6a1520da96.JPG

This year it is the 1954 Cadillac convertible, and the fun has begun:

Taos_Chrome_2010_-_1954_Cadillac_009.thumb.jpg.9eb9ebf513b0284eb7789c792352a799.jpg

Two weeks ago on Saturday evening, we drove a friend's daughter to her wedding in our 1930 Packard.

1930_Packard_-_Oak_Alley_-_Left_4-9-13.thumb.JPG.61ee735a9a336a30a0647ddde408b48f.JPG

Bright and early on Sunday morning, we left New Orleans in our 1954 Cadillac convertible and spent three days driving west.

571c3cc8e47d1_TaosChrome2010-1954Cadillac007.thumb.jpg.2267b0092cf73a5170b85165c6e6e8c4.jpg

Along the way we spent Sunday night in Ft. Stockton, Texas and ate some really great steaks. Monday brought us just east of Wilcox, Arizona before the "Discharging" light and Volt Gauge told us that the alternator (swapped out for the original generator when we added the Vintage A/C copy of the Mark IV under-the-dash-unit) wasn't putting out. After checking my belts and using a volt meter to confirm, we drove about 20 miles to Wilcox where a very helpful Autozone store manager did some checking of his own, and then mounted my SPARE ALTERNATOR. We continued on just a ways to the south of Tucson, Arizona to Green Valley where we spent the next morning visiting the same cousins who hosted us in Nova Scotia last September after the Glidden Tour (used our '41 Cadillac convertible for that tour). Continuing on to Palm Springs on Tuesday night without problems other than Phoenix rush-hour afternoon traffic, we settled into the host motel for the AACA Western Spring Meet where the old Caddy was recognized with her Driver Participation (DPC) plaque and grille badge.

The drive will continue in April. While we flew home on the Monday following the Palm Springs meet so that we can judge at Charlotte next weekend, we'll fly back and pick up the '54 Cadillac, and will continue north to drive the AACA Western Divisional Tour in Sonora/Tuolumne - just northwest of Glacier National Park.

Depending on the need to continue therapy for my torn rotator cuff (fell off a ladder back in January), after the Sonora Tour we may try to head for Vancouver Island and drive back across the Canadian Rockies to judge at Auburn, Indiana and then at Huntington, West Virginia. Then we would head to Gettysburg, PA with the '54 Caddy for the Founders Tour  --  all with the same car.

If time and budget were to allow, I'd love to drive the Lincoln Highway end-to-end, East-to-West, and drive Route 66 from Santa Monica to Chicago, then follow the Great River Road back home to New Orleans. We already did the Great River Road in one-week segments over a five year period as a VMCCA Nickel Tour many years ago from Lake Itasca in Minnesota to Venice, Louisiana, mostly in our 1927 Chevrolet Capitol AA Roadster. This year they are starting what should be a nine-year series of Region Tours covering the Lewis & Clark Trail. 

Edited by Marty Roth
spelling/capitatization - additional thought (see edit history)
  • Like 4

On a long trip like this it would have to be my '67 Riviera.  Since getting her last year I have only driven locally, but my goal is to drive her to Lake George in September and participate in the Saturday cruise-in ahead of the Hemmings Concours where '63 - '73 Rivieras will be featured this year.  ;)

https://www.hemmings.com/concours/

IMG_0648.jpg

• Like 2

Em Tee,

The AACA Vintage Tour, Hosted by Buzzards Breath Touring Region, will be not too far from you in July. Come and visit if you are able.

Marty - thanks for the heads-up on that!  I wasn't aware of it but just checked the Meets & Tours forum and I will have to mark my calendar once the detailed agenda comers out.  Note that the Syracuse Nationals will be held at the NYS Fairgrounds July 14 - 16, so there will be no shortage of classic iron cruising the area in mid-July.  I'm definitely interested in trying to meet-up in Watkins Glen, if possible...

Em Tee,

will send a link to the Tri-Fold for the Vintage Tour later

Here it is: 

2017 Vintage Tour.pdf

Edited by Marty Roth
replaced the link (see edit history)
  • Like 1