Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Guest Straight eight

Are you Buick lovers driving on antique plates?  Do they permit this kind of use?  Michigan is kinda restrictive so I kinda wondered if all the states were more liberal than good old Michigan.

No restrictions whatsoever with Arizona's Historic Vehicle plate.

$25 initial application fee/ $10 annual renewal. Vehicle must indicate a model date of original manufacture that is at least 25 years old. May require a vehicle inspection.

Edited by AzBob (see edit history)

"Texas Antique Vehicle Provisions:

Antique license plates are issued for cars, trucks or motorcycles that are at least 25 years old and are a collector’s item. The vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest. Vehicles displaying Antique plates may not be used for regular transportation or carry advertising. The vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance."

Those are the rules, but the reality is you might get busted if driving to work daily.  I have been stopped, but only because the officer wanted to look at the car and talk about it.  If I ever do run into a hard nose, my ready answer is "I'm road testing my new brakes"

• Like 2

I like your game plan Willie.  It's much easier than explaining how regular use is a maintenance requirement for the seals in the engine and tranny.  Meanwhile, I stole  Brian Heils Photo idea when I had the 56 out for another 20 miles or so on this 2nd bonus day of 2015

gallery_77230_175_334914.jpg

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

Massachusetts provision:

An “antique motor car” is any motor vehicle over twenty-five years old maintained solely for use in exhibitions, club

activities, parades, and other functions of public interest. This includes test drives to prepare for such functions and

transportation to and from repair facilities, and not used primarily for the transportation of passengers or goods over any

way. A motorcycle is eligible for an Antique registration plate.

Ontario is very similar to Texas and Massachusetts, only here the vehicle has to be 30 years old in supposed to be stock, but "test drives" are allowed. That said, there are many modified vehicles which run historic plates.

Once a concerned person brought this to the attention of the Ontario Provincial Police, the same State Troopers, and was told that "we have more important things to do than worry about the misuse of historic plates"

Also, here historic plates carry a much lower fee, $18. per year, compared to $100. for non-historic vehicles.

All that said, I run historic plates on all of my cars, mainly because the cost is so much less.

Keith

This afternoon my wife and I drove in the '69 Electra to our local coffee shop, and then a couple of errands to parking lots that still large spaces. Just a bit later I took the '41 Roadmaster out for a short drive, as for the last few weeks it had only been started to move it around from spot to spot here at home, and it was getting a bit grumpy.

Needless to say, there is quite the difference between the two! Certainly there was progress in ride and performance in the 28 years between the two cars.

Keith

• Like 2

Well folks, today was the last drive in the '56 Roadmaster, as I took it out to storage today. What an amazing Fall day here in Ontario, I could of drove around the these side roads and secondary highways forever.

Here's a shot of the '56 right before I pulled it into the storage building.

Keith

post-119367-0-63094300-1446682384_thumb.

Maryland is similar to Texas and Mass with the exception that the car must be 20 years old. Personally I don't think that's old enough. Nowadays a twenty year old car can run down the interstate at 75-80mph all day. Really and truly just a used car. I just don't think they have been around long enough to be considered an antique or classic car. Twenty-five would be my minimum but 30 years would be my preference.

Back to driving......Yesterday was a beautiful day here in suburban DC and I had to go check up on a commercial roof job we are doing not far in Rockville. The job is at a limousine company. I drove the 28 Buick there and the guys loved it. I checked out the job and then drove to a friends house to drop off a couple of things and then on to the barber shop to get a hair cut, both of them. The Vietnamese lady barbers at the shop love the car (I've been there with it before) and they had to get their pictures standing next to the car. It was great fun. All in all a good afternoon.

Dave

• Like 2

I just drove my 1989 Park Avenue from Wilmington NC to Houma LA for the AACA Central Fall Meet. That was a little over 1000 miles down and I will be driving 1000 + miles back home after the show is over on Saturday. Quite a bit of the trip down was in rain. The food and hospitality looks like it will be worth the drive. 

• Like 1

I had the Electra out for a cruise, then it was off to storage for the winter. The sad thing is that it doesn't feel too much like winter, yet. But both the '56 and the '69 Electra are both tucked away at my buddy's place outside of town, but I still have the '41 at the ready for a bit longer. I will try to drive it once or twice a week till the snow flies!

Keith

• Like 1

We had a few flakes fall the other day and some more possible this week. It's just a matter of time here.

I did have a Buickful day driving the Rainier to the country place to complete the winter prep on the older Buicks. Sigh. I also took the mower off the tractor and put the blower on.

Back from the Central Fall Meet in Houma - 1,059 miles round trip on the '39. Rain on Saturday was a bit of a problem, but the judges got everyone judged. This was my first time to attend an AACA Meet, and the '39 got a Driver Participation Class (DPC) Award. We got to see some really nice cars at the meet. So, we might make the trip to Galveston next year for the 2016 Central Fall Meet.

• Like 1

Well, this is a stretch but.....

While I do not have the brakes finished yet (sheesh) the weather here was fantastic Sunday (62 degrees) and decided to open up the garage doors and fire her up.

In my mind, sitting behind the wheel and getting her warmed up I was "On the road again!"

post-80315-0-86406500-1447734588_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Roadmistress needed a good wash after a months-long slumber, and yesterday was a great day for it, weather-wise. Took her out just around downtown for a while, then mounted this near-NOS hood ornament (found mislabeled on ebay for $50) to replace the pitted original.

post-87514-0-15068600-1448815398_thumb.j

Topped off the fluids and tires and she's ready for wintry activities, a benefit of Southern Living.

TG

• Like 2

Today (Sunday) was a dry, but dull and chilly day, at about the freezing mark here in Toronto. There had been a good rain a day or so ago, which had washed away the road salt, so I decided to take the '41 McLaughlin Buick Roadmaster to its' hometown of Oshawa for a McLaughlin Buick Club directors meeting. We meet at the former home of the man who started it all, Sam McLaughlin. The flat light was good for some photography, so I took a few pictures in front of the old coach house and stables. The car was built only 4 or 5 miles from where these pictures were taken.

Keith

post-119367-0-80313700-1448836388_thumb.post-119367-0-90410900-1448836433_thumb.post-119367-0-81373700-1448836643_thumb.

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 7

We love our 60 Invicta!  Had it out both days this weekend thanks to El Nino!  He/she (we haven't figured that one out yet) got a hand wash and wax last weekend and thin original paint is looking great for its age.  What a comfortable ride, and such a powerful engine.  The buyer's remorse we felt  immediately after winning the Ebay auction is long gone.  You'll have to pry this Buick from our cold, dead, fingers.  We feel guilty for causing so many cases of whiplash, as heads snap around as we cruise by.   Beautiful car, beautiful weather, a great weekend.  You Buick folks are so smart - these are great cars!  We didn't take pics today - we were driving.  But a pic for you enjoyment anyway.

Thanks

Chuck & Sally

HuntzNSam

post-154922-0-33414100-1449431680_thumb.

• Like 5

Imagine, drove the '60 Electra over to Batavia yesterday and attended the Cadillac Club monthly meeting (they let me in). And today I was driving the '38 Allis-Chalmers around the back yard playing with the bucket loader.

I don't even mind that some called my tractor Geezer Bait.

Bernie

• Like 1

Boxwood Manor is a Century Farm (owned by the same family for at least 100 years) from 1790 in nearby Pendleton, SC, and both celebrate 225 years in 2015. The same family has owned the house since 1790. They had a Christmas open house yesterday with a small car show, so a friend drove his '63 LeMans, and I took the Roadmistress. Afterwards, we both headed to a gas station near the lake and topped off the tanks with non-ethanol.

post-87514-0-58997900-1449450539_thumb.j

It was very Buick-y (Century Farm, 225 years) and a beautiful day, warm in the sun, cool in the shade.

TG 

• Like 2

Drove the 1950 Special about seventy miles Sunday. Just drove.Wherever the road led. Still not far enough.

Ben

Next time you get that urge, throw your tool belt and a change of skivvies in the '50 and head east on The Buick Highway, it ends at Buick Gardens, ya know. ;-)
  • Like 1

Hub caps. Want to get a few more miles on the car and then re-torque the lug nuts before installing the caps. This was a low end Special equipped with a manual transmission and column shift. Fun to drive! And oh what torque! All original chrome except for three pieces that I had to replace and re-chrome. I was told that in was a Texas car. No rust issues except the floors.

Ahh! Caught up in the modern vernacular - "Lug nuts."  Lug bolts  :)

My dad had a very similar car back in 62.  Brings back memories of some of my first dates when Dad would let me drive one of his cars rather than making my date ride in my POS.  As a kid of 16, I had the misfortune of getting on the brakes too hard on the wet road and sent this one into a ditch.  It didn't come home.  :(

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

I took the '41 Roadmaster out to buy lunch today, I was working from home as my modern Buick was in getting new tires. The '41 was running a bit sour on the trip home from Oshawa last week. So on the weekend I had done some ignition tuning and then some carb adjustments, it seems as though the back one was out of balance with the front. So the trip out for lunch was a bit of a test drive, and it is running great!

I also took it over to pick my son up from school today, and sure got a lot of positive reaction from the other students!

Also, I was at a car flea market on Sunday and took this picture of a '47 or '48 Caddy custom in the parking lot. Interesting paint, a taxi company in Toronto uses the same kind of colours.

Keith

post-119367-0-58352200-1449699189_thumb.post-119367-0-10038500-1449699216_thumb.

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Drove the wagon 270 miles today.  Went to Syracuse and retrieved my GS bumpers from Sandys Bumper Mart.  The weather here is breaking records for temperatures and late date of the first snowfall.  It may have hit 60* in Syracuse when I was there. 

The Wagon is looking worse and worse for wear. So bad I don't even want to take a picture of it.  But it still gets so many positive comments every time I drive it, that its almost comical.   So many people come up and comment they remember riding in the rear facing seat as kids...  So many people just love to look at that car.  I'm really going to miss it when it's through.

Drove the '37 Roadmaster just enough to get her ready for next weekend. Our next-door neighbor's daughter (soon to graduate Med School) is getting married, so this coming Friday I'll transport Sarah and her parents to the church, and then to the reception.

post-97723-0-21275500-1450069174_thumb.j

post-97723-0-61513000-1450069221_thumb.j

post-97723-0-55013800-1450069280_thumb.j

Since we have had a very rare Fall, with no snow up to now, I was able to use the 56 for Church yesterday.  I was an neat to park next to my friends Corvette, which is a Fuel Injected 4 speed car, that they purchased new, in 62. 

post-77230-0-72861900-1450103060_thumb.j

• Like 1

Guest Bob Slagle

Well finally had time to get the 1950 Super model 52...my first car by the way..out and as we make the move from central Ohio to Holmes county Ohio the old girl made the 89 mile trip under her own power...It felt good to get it all warmed up again.