Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Seems like all we do is eat. Took the '60 Electra up to town for breakfast; then the convertible over to Holley for lunch.

On the way back from lunch I complained about, what I call loud exhaust. I had already put two mufflers on it, a standard one and one called quiet-flow. Both had a drone at idle and under light throttle. Over the winter I had found an NOS muffler and tailpipe assembly on Ebay. It weighed about twice as much as the aftermarket ones.

So right after lunch I ran the convert up to the shop and slipped on the third muffler. It's an improvement, still not what satisfies me.

Nice to be able to do this stuff on Sunday.

Bernie

Suzanne and I took Spirit and Joseph to a drive in on the Red River North of the city today where the local car club met for a holiday lunch. It was nice to get out again.

On Sunday Suzanne drove the Electra to the country as she wants Rita in the city. The latter part was a no-go. I have the battery in to get it load tested. We shall go from there.

Since my daily driver actually qualifies as an Antique Buick, I don't generally post anything here but today I did something different. I have recently been bothered by an irritating small exhaust manifold leak on my 1937 Century. This morning I replaced the exhaust manifold gasket and this evening, after a thunderstorm moved through the area we had some cooler weather so I took the Century for a several mile joy ride just to enjoy hearing it sound like it should again.

• Like 3

Finally got around to replacing the master cylinder on my 62 Skylark Convertible, it had been held up in the garage or barn since last fall. Took it for a ride down to the parts store for replacement bulbs for a brake light. Nice to get it back on the road...with brakes!

• Like 1

Drove the '50 to Vernon, TX Saturday. About 75 miles each way, going the long way. The old girl is running great. Pretty warm inside. Course, about 101 outside.

The secondary reason  [ first being to DRIVE]  for the outing was an event called Summers Last Blast, an old car themed get together. Supposed to be around 800 cars there for the Sat night cruise. I did not stay for that. The car show, in the park, only had one other Buick that I could find. A beautiful '63 Riv. 

Sorry, no pics.

Ben

• Like 1

g-g-g0, Love your car especially the fact it is a manual transmission.  Even if it was a low end Special it was beautiful 2 door hardtop. I like the 3 piece back window too.  I have always admired the '57 Buicks from the time they were new and I was a 13 year old car crazy kid!

Edited by michel88 (see edit history)

Maiden voyage to day for the '57. Not finished but at least road worthy! Couldn't stand it any longer so put about 30 miles on it today. A little confidence builder for me!!

Whoops! Don't believe the date on the camera was correct. Today (93 degrees) is NOT February weather in northern Indiana!

She is gorgeous!  

Hub caps. Want to get a few more miles on the car and then re-torque the lug nuts before installing the caps. This was a low end Special equipped with a manual transmission and column shift. Fun to drive! And oh what torque! All original chrome except for three pieces that I had to replace and re-chrome. I was told that in was a Texas car. No rust issues except the floors.

Sounds like my 54.  Garage queen since new. Very little rust.   Low end Special equipped with poverty caps and trim rings.   3 speed manual and torque a-plenty!   The lady that made purchase of the 54 in 54 ordered WW, defroster, flexible steering wheel and asked to have the roof painted white.   She also has the 3 painted rings on the wheels.  Although I was told that 54 did not have this option on the wheels.  I find that hard to believe as the original wheel and tire in the trunk has the 3 painted rings on the wheels.     

Drove this '72 on Saturday--belongs to a customer who probably hasn't driven it on the highway in 5 years and needs some minor body work done. Got on the Interstate loop around Dallas which is where the car  is from, had a vibration in front end--yep, tread separation on an old radial tire. Blew out the tire almost immediately, coasted to a stop on the shoulder, of course the spare was flat, too, and it was 106 degrees on Saturday. Had to walk a few blocks to a gas station for some air,, and  then I put it on and finished the journey to the BCA Chapter meeting and then home. No other issues. Car has a 350, runs very well, and I have been doing the mechanical work on it for the past 10 years for the older female owner. Only 2,037 of these made, so it is rarer than a Centurion conv.

post-77451-0-54782300-1439255999_thumb.j

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I had the '56 on Friday morning out to a shop to have a rear axle bearing replaced, and all went well. They are a bit of a drive for me, but they are a restoration shop, and have been business at the same location in Whitby, Ont., since sometime in the 60's. I choose them as everyone else I know are new-car mechanics, and these guys know old cars of all kinds. About 60 miles round trip.

Then on Sat. we drove it out to a cruise night, about another 50 miles or so.

This is all in preparation for a trip with some other McLaughlin Buick Club buddies, which is a 1000+ mile trip through Northern Ontario returning home next Monday.

Keith

• Like 1

Well, its' a weekend drive in my Buick, but Wed., so I hope no one minds if I post again. We had a nice 160 mile drive to our first stop, a town called Owen Sound, were we've met some of our Buick Club friends, and also have stopped for the night. An easy day, and tomorrow is another short drive.

Here's a couple of pictures of my '56 Roadmaster beside my friend's '83 Riv convert.

Keith

post-119367-0-24265200-1439426937_thumb.

post-119367-0-99126600-1439427007_thumb.

Today, Aug 13, we had an easy 90 mile from Owen Sound to the tip of the Niagara Escarpment, a town called Tobermory. A small place that started out life as fishing village, but is now very touristy. Lots of boats coming and going in the small harbour. Most of the rest of the group took a tour boat past some shipwrecks, and to a really neat island, called Flowerpot Island. It gets its' name from the limestone formations that resemble huge flowerpots. I've been there several times recently, so I passed on the trip this time.

Tomorrow we board the ferry, the Chi Cheemaun, that will take us across Georgian Bay to the largest freshwater island in the world, Manitolin Island. I got a few pictures of it today as it was filling up. The bow lifts up and one drives straight in, and then it closes up. It's been in service 40 years or so now.

Also, some shots of our small hotel, and our cars parked about it.

Keithpost-119367-0-71164600-1439512111_thumb.post-119367-0-90630800-1439511998_thumb.post-119367-0-65368700-1439512016_thumb.post-119367-0-23218000-1439512031_thumb.post-119367-0-47362600-1439512055_thumb.post-119367-0-12308300-1439512075_thumb.post-119367-0-29431800-1439512413_thumb.

• Like 1

Today, Aug 13, we had an easy 90 mile from Owen Sound to the tip of the Niagara Escarpment, a town called Tobermory. A small place that started out life as fishing village, but is now very touristy. Lots of boats coming and going in the small harbour. Most of the rest of the group took a tour boat past some shipwrecks, and to a really neat island, called Flowerpot Island. It gets its' name from the limestone formations that resemble huge flowerpots. I've been there several times recently, so I passed on the trip this time.

Tomorrow we board the ferry, the Chi Cheemaun, that will take us across Georgian Bay to the largest freshwater island in the world, Manitolin Island. I got a few pictures of it today as it was filling up. The bow lifts up and one drives straight in, and then it closes up. It's been in service 40 years or so now.

Keithattachicon.gifFlowerpotisl.jpgattachicon.gif56Roadmaster2.jpgattachicon.gifChiChi1.jpgattachicon.gifChiChi2.jpgattachicon.gifTobermory1.jpgattachicon.gifTobermory2.jpgattachicon.gif56RodmasterWariton.jpg

Keith, I am envious. Such beautiful scenery!!

Ben

Keithattachicon.gifFlowerpotisl.jpgattachicon.gif56Roadmaster2.jpgattachicon.gifChiChi1.jpgattachicon.gifChiChi2.jpgattachicon.gifTobermory1.jpgattachicon.gifTobermory2.jpgattachicon.gif56RodmasterWariton.jpg

I have been to  Tobermory several times and on the ferry ride across the bay.  It is a very nice ride and experience.

Took the Skylark on a four hour outing to Eastern PA last Saturday to visit a hospitalized friend, and then on to a clambake. Instead of showing its appreciation, the car sprung a leak in the power steering pressure hose. Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow?

Aug 14, 15, & 16 Sorry I haven't been able to post the last couple of days, but the WIFI at the hotel wouldn't work right for me.

On Friday Aug 14 most of the day was taken up with taking the boat ferry from Tobermory, to Manitoulin Island. Lots of hurry up and wait. Get in line an hour and a half early, board, sail for an hour an half, about a 28 mile trip across, then off loading, lunch, and then a nice scenic drive most of Jona and the whale. Less than 100 miles driven today.

Then on Sat, Aug 15, we toured the Island extensively, and we stopped at quite a few spots, and I've posted a shot of Bridal Veil Falls, a spot popular with locals and tourists. Another 100 + mile day. Near there a few local car enthuisasts brought a few cars, and one was another '56 Roadmaster!  Did not get to talk to the owner, he brought his car, and then left, and unfortunately we were on the road again before he got back.

On Sunday we drove about 130 miles from the North end of the Island to Sudbury, and toured Dynamic Earth, which is an interactive science exhibit that centres around the area's rich history of mining, especially Copper and Nickel, then to a local cruise night with around 250 cars. A few Buicks, one of them a well modified '54 Skylark. I have a shot of mine posted, but will post some more pictures when I can, but here's a few for now.

Keith

post-119367-0-34481700-1439773542_thumb.post-119367-0-57657200-1439773589_thumb.post-119367-0-81591800-1439773766_thumb.post-119367-0-45961700-1439773785_thumb.

post-119367-0-21396200-1439774078_thumb.

• Like 1

Took the GS to the Yankee Chapter Show today.  I forgot to check my mileage but Ed clocked 324 miles in his 67, and I live about 16 miles further away than him, from this event.

The interesting part was the route we took coming home.  We wanted to avoid the interstate since it is very busy in the area of the show and in prior years I found it to be  a drag to head home that way after cooking on the show field all day.  So we checked the  maps on the phone but  decided it was too complicated to go the back roads.  However, when we stopped for gas the attendant engaged us in conversation and we asked about the alternate route.  He said, Route 8 is a great road.  Nice country drive and not busy at all.  Just hope on Rt 15 here, and head south and pick it up in Waterford. 

So we shrugged and got on Rt 15.

Now, I am not totally unfamiliar with the southern Conn area.  I grew up not too far away and have traveled the area before.  And as we were headed south on Rt 15 I figured we better check the map again cause it seemed we were going out of our way.  There was a gas / rest area and we pulled in.  This was a stop with about 15 spots for cars and it was overflowing with cars.  And when we pulled up the map we realized that we had to get off within 3 exits.  Whew!  It would have sucked to pass that exit. 

And we were off.  Rt 15 to Exit 59,  then Rt 63 to rt 8 and Rt 8 to Rt 44 and Rt 44 to Rt 22 in NY.  Then back onto Rt 90 to bring it home.  The thing is, from exit 59 till we got back on Rt 90 was a super beautiful ride.  Commensurate with just about anything we found out west.  We both agreed we had flashbacks to various parts of our Portland trip.

Unfortunately we passed right by Dandy Daves area but it was getting late and couldn't stop in. 

So if you ever get the chance to drive through North West Conn, I highly recommend it. Pictures later this week,.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Today, Monday Aug 17 was our drive home day. We did 250+ miles from Sudbury, Ont., to our home in the Easterly area of Toronto. A bit of a warm drive, with temps in the mid to high 80's F, but all went well.

The total driving for the trip was about 950 miles, and the '56 Roadmaster ran flawless throughout the trip.

The only fly in the ointment, so to speak was the rear suspension wasn't up to the load we had in it, and it really wasn't fully loaded either, (three of us, plus luggage) as it bottomed out a few times, and was riding low in the back the whole time. This was rather annoying, as I changed the original springs, and 20 year old shocks last year, so I expected better, not worse. I do not know if the springs I was supplied with were wrong for my car, but I ordered standard springs, and heavy duty gas shocks for the model 76R. A combination I've used before on other cars, and it has worked well. I might start a thread in the Post War section about this to find out other people's experiences.

Otherwise, as I said, the car ran great the entire time, we saw some great scenery, and socialized with many other Buick friends.

Nice to be home, but sad its' over!

Keith

• Like 1

Anyone remember the 2005 Buick Nationals in Batavia, New York? I took a ride over there for lunch today. And wadaya think, the guy from New York is on dirt roads again.

The Muck Land really smells like unions and the dirt is fine silt this time of year; got a little detailer spritzing to do tonight.

post-89785-0-36292300-1440017978_thumb.j

post-89785-0-52122100-1440017979_thumb.j

post-89785-0-07675000-1440017981_thumb.j

300 miles east and hang a right for Metropolis.

Yeah, one....lane is taken literally in these parts.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Love those Centurions!!! Had a green gold one back in the day with a light creamy tan interior. Sucker was FAST but really liked the fuel!! If a similar one only a convertible came along I would be strongly tempted to add another Buick to the stable!!!

Nice car and nice pictures.

Gary

• Like 1

I finally got my 12 Buick Roadster out for a test drive yesterday morning.  The parking brake was self activating between shifts so I could not get past second gear.  A couple of my HCCA Buick buddies came over last week & helped me troubleshoot the problem.  Now it is fixed, so I plan to drive that car next month in the HCCA tour based in Bellingham WA. 

Some will recall seeing the resurrection of this car here: 

http://forums.aaca.org/f165/1912-buick-resurrection-day-311177.html

• Like 1

I drove the '71 Centurion on Saturday, enjoying the new, correct for '71 dual-stripe white wall bias ply tires!  Here are a few shots from Saturday at the Griot's Garage flagship store in Tacoma, at my workplace, and back home in the driveway.

20426549008_b711053e95_b.jpg

19991994414_3d49966f72_b.jpg

20621314561_a5c58ab76c_b.jpg

19993637113_d340420755_b.jpg

Your Centurian is gorgeous! 

• Like 1

Guest my3buicks

Home!! After being in storage for the last year I brought the 67 home tonight - taking it to a family event tomorrow to blow the cobwebs out and to stretch her legs, around 170 mile round trip. Then she goes back into storage again.

post-76001-0-95525400-1440207019_thumb.j

• Like 1

Off on tour with a different car club this weekend, the Antique and Classic Car Club of Canada, Prewar Touring Group. Drove the '41 Roadmaster about 90 miles to the starting motel, in Lindsay, Ont, to leave early Sat morning for a what promises to be a nice drive through some lovely countryside.

I've posted a couple of pictures with my car in between a 20's Pierce Arrow, and a '36 Ford. About 27 cars in total are registered for this event, with mine possibily the newest.

Keith

post-119367-0-01920600-1440208545_thumb.post-119367-0-41057400-1440208569_thumb.

• Like 2

We toured with the same group as we met up with yesterday, and drove the '41 Roadmaster about 120 miles or so today through some scenic backroads. Weather was excellent for touring, mid 70's or so, with a rather cool start. The folks in the open cars wore jackets on the first leg of the trip, but the Sun soon warmed everyone up.

There were about 25 cars and the ages ranged from 1913, to 1941, with two '13 T's, a few later T's, a '22 Olds,  a late 20's Packard, and a '40 Packard, a couple of '31 Plymouths, amoungst  many others. Everyone drove, or rode in a vintage car. Those folks that could not bring their vintage car, rode with someone else, so we did not have any modern iron on tour.

We stopped for lunch at a very small town called Kinmount, toured a old cinema that has a collection of vintage projection equipment, and some other old cameras, it makes me feel old when I own cameras that are now in a museum, and others that the same as I shot with way back when.

I've attached a picture of my '41 with the old train station, now converted to a tourist info place, as this area is packed with small lakes that have many cottages, and other resort activities, and there is a model train exhibit with a neat diarama of the area when the trains ran. The rail corridor itself is still there, but the tracks have been removed and it is now used for ATV's and snowmobiles in winter. Lots of snow in these parts during winter.

More touring tomorrow before we head for home.

Keith

post-119367-0-09718900-1440289284_thumb.

• Like 2

We took the 1937 Century to dinner tonight. Since the car was a little bit dusty from the last few car shows, after we got home, I washed it and took another drive to blow most of the water off, backed it into the garage and dried off the remaining water drops. This photo shows it before the drive to dry it off.

post-90592-0-71607300-1440290898_thumb.j

• Like 2

Guest my3buicks

Home!! After being in storage for the last year I brought the 67 home tonight - taking it to a family event tomorrow to blow the cobwebs out and to stretch her legs, around 170 mile round trip. Then she goes back into storage again.

Back in storage, never missed a beat. I often mention that I have had the car 36 years, but as I was driving today the reality of having it 36 years hit me, I have been driving this car since I was 18

post-76001-0-93336300-1440291715_thumb.j

• Like 1