JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

Guest my3buicks

Put about 125 miles on the Reatta last night and today, that's a lot in the life of a car that averaged 233 miles a year - of course that went out the window a year ago as I have put an additional 2500 miles on it.

• Like 1

Got the '60 Electra out yesterday; headed north about 8 miles to Lake Ontario, turned onto the Ontario Parkway and sailed about 20 miles to Charlotte and had lunch in the LDR Charboil where I took my wife when we were dating, walked to the end of the pier at the Genesee River outlet. rode the 1905 Carousel ,

http://www.bjrimages.com/Photography/New-York-State/City-of-Rochester/i-pBnC4dh/0/L/IMG_3029-Edit-L.jpg

Then through Durand Eastman Park along the lake through Seabreeze, and to the outlet of Irondequoit Bay and back through the farmland.

Bernie

• Like 1

Got the '60 Electra out yesterday; headed north about 8 miles to Lake Ontario, turned onto the Ontario Parkway and sailed about 20 miles to Charlotte and had lunch in the LDR Charboil where I took my wife when we were dating, walked to the end of the pier at the Genesee River outlet. rode the 1905 Carousel ,

http://www.bjrimages.com/Photography/New-York-State/City-of-Rochester/i-pBnC4dh/0/L/IMG_3029-Edit-L.jpg

Then through Durand Eastman Park along the lake through Seabreeze, and to the outlet of Irondequoit Bay and back through the farmland.

Bernie

Now That's a nice ride Bernie!!!  It's nice to ride alongside the big lakes!  I'm looking forward to doing this on Lake Michigan, going to Wisconsin in 2017.

We all went for a ride in the '41 Roadmaster this afternoon, and stopped a local restaurant on the way home. The skies had been threatening before supper, and opened up just after we got inside. Here's a quick shot of my 93 year old mother in law getting into the car. The rain really glistens on the maroon and chrome.

Keith

post-119367-0-44438500-1438561351_thumb.

• Like 2

We all went for a ride in the '41 Roadmaster this afternoon, and stopped a local restaurant on the way home. The skies had been threatening before supper, and opened up just after we got inside. Here's a quick shot of my 93 year old mother in law getting into the car. The rain really glistens on the maroon and chrome.

Keith

She's so cute, and the Buick looks good too.

• Like 1

Maiden voyage to day for the '57. Not finished but at least road worthy! Couldn't stand it any longer so put about 30 miles on it today. A little confidence builder for me!!

Whoops! Don't believe the date on the camera was correct. Today (93 degrees) is NOT February weather in northern Indiana!

post-96232-0-50131800-1438567352_thumb.j

post-96232-0-83623000-1438567403_thumb.j

post-96232-0-58989900-1438567439_thumb.j

post-96232-0-75985700-1438567505_thumb.j

post-96232-0-95218400-1438567518_thumb.j

Edited by g-g-g0 (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Looking good.

If the camera date format is day/month/year, it would be correct for yesterday (Sunday).

LOOKIN GOOD!!! Nice stripes on the wheels, what's your plans, full wheel covers or hub caps.

post-96232-0-58989900-1438567439.jpg

post-96232-0-95218400-1438567518.jpg

Hub caps. Want to get a few more miles on the car and then re-torque the lug nuts before installing the caps. This was a low end Special equipped with a manual transmission and column shift. Fun to drive! And oh what torque! All original chrome except for three pieces that I had to replace and re-chrome. I was told that in was a Texas car. No rust issues except the floors.

• Like 1

Seems like all we do is eat. Took the '60 Electra up to town for breakfast; then the convertible over to Holley for lunch.

On the way back from lunch I complained about, what I call loud exhaust. I had already put two mufflers on it, a standard one and one called quiet-flow. Both had a drone at idle and under light throttle. Over the winter I had found an NOS muffler and tailpipe assembly on Ebay. It weighed about twice as much as the aftermarket ones.

So right after lunch I ran the convert up to the shop and slipped on the third muffler. It's an improvement, still not what satisfies me.

Nice to be able to do this stuff on Sunday.

Bernie

That is a Very Special car Gary!!!   Just Buickful!!!  And a 3 speed too!!!  Some guys have all the luck!

Re, g g go, that is a nice looking Buick! Maiden voyages are always very exciting! I got my '41 licensed and drove a bit before I had all of the interior finished, as I felt the same way. I really, really wanted to just drive my car.

Keith

• Like 1

Suzanne and I took Spirit and Joseph to a drive in on the Red River North of the city today where the local car club met for a holiday lunch. It was nice to get out again.

On Sunday Suzanne drove the Electra to the country as she wants Rita in the city. The latter part was a no-go. I have the battery in to get it load tested. We shall go from there.

Since my daily driver actually qualifies as an Antique Buick, I don't generally post anything here but today I did something different. I have recently been bothered by an irritating small exhaust manifold leak on my 1937 Century. This morning I replaced the exhaust manifold gasket and this evening, after a thunderstorm moved through the area we had some cooler weather so I took the Century for a several mile joy ride just to enjoy hearing it sound like it should again.

• Like 3

Finally got around to replacing the master cylinder on my 62 Skylark Convertible, it had been held up in the garage or barn since last fall. Took it for a ride down to the parts store for replacement bulbs for a brake light. Nice to get it back on the road...with brakes!

• Like 1

Drove the '50 to Vernon, TX Saturday. About 75 miles each way, going the long way. The old girl is running great. Pretty warm inside. Course, about 101 outside.

The secondary reason  [ first being to DRIVE]  for the outing was an event called Summers Last Blast, an old car themed get together. Supposed to be around 800 cars there for the Sat night cruise. I did not stay for that. The car show, in the park, only had one other Buick that I could find. A beautiful '63 Riv. 

Sorry, no pics.

Ben

• Like 1

g-g-g0, Love your car especially the fact it is a manual transmission.  Even if it was a low end Special it was beautiful 2 door hardtop. I like the 3 piece back window too.  I have always admired the '57 Buicks from the time they were new and I was a 13 year old car crazy kid!

Edited by michel88 (see edit history)

Maiden voyage to day for the '57. Not finished but at least road worthy! Couldn't stand it any longer so put about 30 miles on it today. A little confidence builder for me!!

Whoops! Don't believe the date on the camera was correct. Today (93 degrees) is NOT February weather in northern Indiana!

She is gorgeous!  

Hub caps. Want to get a few more miles on the car and then re-torque the lug nuts before installing the caps. This was a low end Special equipped with a manual transmission and column shift. Fun to drive! And oh what torque! All original chrome except for three pieces that I had to replace and re-chrome. I was told that in was a Texas car. No rust issues except the floors.

Sounds like my 54.  Garage queen since new. Very little rust.   Low end Special equipped with poverty caps and trim rings.   3 speed manual and torque a-plenty!   The lady that made purchase of the 54 in 54 ordered WW, defroster, flexible steering wheel and asked to have the roof painted white.   She also has the 3 painted rings on the wheels.  Although I was told that 54 did not have this option on the wheels.  I find that hard to believe as the original wheel and tire in the trunk has the 3 painted rings on the wheels.     

Drove this '72 on Saturday--belongs to a customer who probably hasn't driven it on the highway in 5 years and needs some minor body work done. Got on the Interstate loop around Dallas which is where the car  is from, had a vibration in front end--yep, tread separation on an old radial tire. Blew out the tire almost immediately, coasted to a stop on the shoulder, of course the spare was flat, too, and it was 106 degrees on Saturday. Had to walk a few blocks to a gas station for some air,, and  then I put it on and finished the journey to the BCA Chapter meeting and then home. No other issues. Car has a 350, runs very well, and I have been doing the mechanical work on it for the past 10 years for the older female owner. Only 2,037 of these made, so it is rarer than a Centurion conv.

post-77451-0-54782300-1439255999_thumb.j

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I had the '56 on Friday morning out to a shop to have a rear axle bearing replaced, and all went well. They are a bit of a drive for me, but they are a restoration shop, and have been business at the same location in Whitby, Ont., since sometime in the 60's. I choose them as everyone else I know are new-car mechanics, and these guys know old cars of all kinds. About 60 miles round trip.

Then on Sat. we drove it out to a cruise night, about another 50 miles or so.

This is all in preparation for a trip with some other McLaughlin Buick Club buddies, which is a 1000+ mile trip through Northern Ontario returning home next Monday.

Keith

• Like 1

Well, its' a weekend drive in my Buick, but Wed., so I hope no one minds if I post again. We had a nice 160 mile drive to our first stop, a town called Owen Sound, were we've met some of our Buick Club friends, and also have stopped for the night. An easy day, and tomorrow is another short drive.

Here's a couple of pictures of my '56 Roadmaster beside my friend's '83 Riv convert.

Keith

post-119367-0-24265200-1439426937_thumb.

post-119367-0-99126600-1439427007_thumb.

I love that car Keith!  Have a good drive.  Looking forward to the pictures of your trip.