Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Took the '41 Roadmaster out for a quick spin tonight, after changing the distributer, and except for an slight uneven idle, it drove great! I had been having some hard to track down drivability issues, so a friend gave me a couple of spare distributors, to see if it helped, and it did! 

Keith

We had the 1934 out over the weekend for a run around the neighborhood just to have a bit of fun before heading to the AACA Met in Louisville, KY.

Every time I drive this car I'm more and more impressed at just how smooth she is - how light she steers - how solid the vacuum-assisted Power Brakes are, and how the radio sounds like a big powerful Wurlitzer Juke Box from the 30s. 

Yes, I do have it up for sale, but driving it makes me want to keep it - I'll probably never find another one as solid.

post-97723-0-00337700-1436931089_thumb.j

post-97723-0-75396800-1436931103_thumb.j

post-97723-0-44810300-1436931108_thumb.j

post-97723-0-76217100-1436931133_thumb.j

post-97723-0-96250100-1436931174_thumb.j

• Like 2

Recovering from the weekend with all of the family here at the house.  Over 30 persons and was giving rides most of the weekend.  Probably put more than 50 miles on the old truck.  Everyone had a great time.  :)  Flags are a left over from the 4th of July parade.  Just trying to keep even with Dandy Dave & the Chartruste Lady.  B)

post-87831-0-91037500-1437078200_thumb.j

• Like 3

We had the 1934 out over the weekend for a run around the neighborhood just to have a bit of fun before heading to the AACA Met in Louisville, KY.

Every time I drive this car I'm more and more impressed at just how smooth she is - how light she steers - how solid the vacuum-assisted Power Brakes are, and how the radio sounds like a big powerful Wurlitzer Juke Box from the 30s. 

Yes, I do have it up for sale, but driving it makes me want to keep it - I'll probably never find another one as solid.

I have a saying. "When in doubt throw it out".

Marty in your case it's not time yet to sell, so throw out the idea of selling for now.

Just my two cents to ponder.

• Like 1

Had the '34 at the AACA National Meet in Louisville, and was awarded Repeat Preservation.

post-97723-0-47198700-1437276095_thumb.j

post-97723-0-55332500-1437276122_thumb.j

post-97723-0-16751300-1437276188_thumb.j

• Like 2

Guest 75RivGS

Took the 71 Electra to a few US-car shows lately and had a close encounter with a Peugeot while in town for groceries:

post-77765-0-68351800-1437309399_thumb.j

post-77765-0-42652600-1437309424_thumb.j

post-77765-0-86571100-1437309438_thumb.j

went for a short drive in the Electra to fill the tank after this week's procedure.  Returned about an hour later after a 30 mile loop and a big ice cream sundae!  ya hoo!!!

• Like 4

I took the truck to the GM Employee car show today with Robert Trail, aka Shadetree and was driving the truck some more today.  Great time as usual. 

Here is a link to the meet posting with more pictures.  http://forums.aaca.org/topic/260165-general-motors-tech-center-employee-retiree-car-show/

post-87831-0-54486800-1437596404_thumb.j

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

went for a short drive in the Electra to fill the tank after this week's procedure.  Returned about an hour later after a 30 mile loop and a big ice cream sundae!  ya hoo!!!

Did the same thing tonight.  Gas, dinner, ice cream cone, and some grocery shopping.  Put on about 15 miles.

Trying to be sure that we use every one of the approximately 100 days of summer.  :D

post-87831-0-34597100-1437700050_thumb.j

• Like 2

Took the 90+ mile round trip ride to the latest Hemmings Cruise In, at Bennington VT.  This time I met up with some fellow Club members, and we drove over by the Rt 67 Route.  That is literally a drive in the countryside, and the Super  loved it!  We stopped at a convenient place for a bite to eat en route and arrived at the Cruise in within a half hour of the start. Pete drives his 53 Special, 2 dr sedan w/ 3 speed, which he bought while he was in college.  Pete and his dad Vince restored over several years.  It was the 56's, Pete's, and Vince's first visit to a Hemmings Cruise in.

When we arrived, there was an immediate outpour of interest in both of our cars.  Among the group was Dan Beaudry, Managing Editor for Hemmings Motor News, and he was asking me questions about the Super.  While I was spilling my guts, I kept thinking, but what about Pete's 53?  I love the 56 but Pete's car is absolutely gorgeous!  None-the-less, Dan was interested in the 56 and the crowd it was attracting.  Dan told me he was leaning towards the Driveable Dream award.  And although I was ecstatic, I felt bad for Pete, right next to me with a beautiful Buick. 

Later on, a photographer approached Pete and Vince, and asked if he could get their picture with the car because they had won the Editors Choice award!  Let me tell you, those two were so shocked, and beaming with pride.  Well deserved pride!

After the event Pete and I posed for this picture which was shot by Tom Proulx  of our Chapter.  Thanks a lot Tom!!!

med_gallery_77230_175_458274.jpg

And such a nice ride home too.

Coincidentally, just a few hours ago today an intense thunderstorm pummeled the route we drove to and from the Cruise, with hail and local flash flooding?  I bet some of those roads were in deep water. 

• Like 7

Took the 90+ mile round trip ride to the latest Hemmings Cruise In, at Bennington VT.  This time I met up with some fellow Club members, and we drove over by the Rt 67 Route.  That is literally a drive in the countryside, and the Super  loved it!  We stopped at a convenient place for a bite to eat en route and arrived at the Cruise in within a half hour of the start. Pete drives his 53 Special, 2 dr sedan w/ 3 speed, which he bought while he was in college.  Pete and his dad Vince restored over several years.  It was the 56's, Pete's, and Vince's first visit to a Hemmings Cruise in.

When we arrived, there was an immediate outpour of interest in both of our cars.  Among the group was Dan Beaudry, Managing Editor for Hemmings Motor News, and he was asking me questions about the Super.  While I was spilling my guts, I kept thinking, but what about Pete's 53?  I love the 56 but Pete's car is absolutely gorgeous!  None-the-less, Dan was interested in the 56 and the crowd it was attracting.  Dan told me he was leaning towards the Driveable Dream award.  And although I was ecstatic, I felt bad for Pete, right next to me with a beautiful Buick. 

Later on, a photographer approached Pete and Vince, and asked if he could get their picture with the car because they had won the Editors Choice award!  Let me tell you, those two were so shocked, and beaming with pride.  Well deserved pride!

After the event Pete and I posed for this picture which was shot by Tom Proulx  of our Chapter.  Thanks a lot Tom!!!

med_gallery_77230_175_458274.jpg

And such a nice ride home too.

Coincidentally, just a few hours ago today an intense thunderstorm pummeled the route we drove to and from the Cruise, with hail and local flash flooding?  I bet some of those roads were in deep water. 

------------------------------------------

Congrats to both of you.

Great looking Buicks.

As a side note.

The Bennington Show held in mid September has been canceled for this year.

No word on why or plans for next year. That show had been held for close to 45 years, and was a big draw for Hemmings.

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)

Guest Bishop55

Took the 'ol girl out to meet the Alamo chapter of the BCA and had a great time. Followed that up with a little 80 mile cruise to my car clubs cruise in at Cabela's. Fantastic weekend and it's not even over!

Another Sunday lunch over in the next county.

A 3 mile walk along the Erie Canal in the morning and a sunny 85 degree convertible ride to lunch. It's good.

post-89785-0-22394800-1437937269_thumb.j

post-89785-0-05763100-1437937301_thumb.j

And the Pierce-Arrow Society Nationals in Buffalo yesterday!

Bernie

• Like 3

Took the electra for breakfast at Benson's today.  70 mile round trip, with Ed (Summer67)  Bensons is at the intersection of Rt 67 and Rt 22 in Eagle Bridge, NY.  It does not have a web or facebook page but online reviews gave it a well deserved thumbs up. 

One view en route:

med_gallery_77230_113_376647.jpg

Guest my3buicks

Put about 125 miles on the Reatta last night and today, that's a lot in the life of a car that averaged 233 miles a year - of course that went out the window a year ago as I have put an additional 2500 miles on it.

• Like 1

Got the '60 Electra out yesterday; headed north about 8 miles to Lake Ontario, turned onto the Ontario Parkway and sailed about 20 miles to Charlotte and had lunch in the LDR Charboil where I took my wife when we were dating, walked to the end of the pier at the Genesee River outlet. rode the 1905 Carousel ,

http://www.bjrimages.com/Photography/New-York-State/City-of-Rochester/i-pBnC4dh/0/L/IMG_3029-Edit-L.jpg

Then through Durand Eastman Park along the lake through Seabreeze, and to the outlet of Irondequoit Bay and back through the farmland.

Bernie

• Like 1

Got the '60 Electra out yesterday; headed north about 8 miles to Lake Ontario, turned onto the Ontario Parkway and sailed about 20 miles to Charlotte and had lunch in the LDR Charboil where I took my wife when we were dating, walked to the end of the pier at the Genesee River outlet. rode the 1905 Carousel ,

http://www.bjrimages.com/Photography/New-York-State/City-of-Rochester/i-pBnC4dh/0/L/IMG_3029-Edit-L.jpg

Then through Durand Eastman Park along the lake through Seabreeze, and to the outlet of Irondequoit Bay and back through the farmland.

Bernie

Now That's a nice ride Bernie!!!  It's nice to ride alongside the big lakes!  I'm looking forward to doing this on Lake Michigan, going to Wisconsin in 2017.

We all went for a ride in the '41 Roadmaster this afternoon, and stopped a local restaurant on the way home. The skies had been threatening before supper, and opened up just after we got inside. Here's a quick shot of my 93 year old mother in law getting into the car. The rain really glistens on the maroon and chrome.

Keith

post-119367-0-44438500-1438561351_thumb.

• Like 2

We all went for a ride in the '41 Roadmaster this afternoon, and stopped a local restaurant on the way home. The skies had been threatening before supper, and opened up just after we got inside. Here's a quick shot of my 93 year old mother in law getting into the car. The rain really glistens on the maroon and chrome.

Keith

She's so cute, and the Buick looks good too.

• Like 1

Maiden voyage to day for the '57. Not finished but at least road worthy! Couldn't stand it any longer so put about 30 miles on it today. A little confidence builder for me!!

Whoops! Don't believe the date on the camera was correct. Today (93 degrees) is NOT February weather in northern Indiana!

post-96232-0-50131800-1438567352_thumb.j

post-96232-0-83623000-1438567403_thumb.j

post-96232-0-58989900-1438567439_thumb.j

post-96232-0-75985700-1438567505_thumb.j

post-96232-0-95218400-1438567518_thumb.j

Edited by g-g-g0 (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Hub caps. Want to get a few more miles on the car and then re-torque the lug nuts before installing the caps. This was a low end Special equipped with a manual transmission and column shift. Fun to drive! And oh what torque! All original chrome except for three pieces that I had to replace and re-chrome. I was told that in was a Texas car. No rust issues except the floors.

• Like 1