Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

It's dreary, rainy evening here in Toronto, after raining all day too. Now it is just enough rain to keep everything wet, but our Club were due to present a cheque to someone who represents a charity that we raised money for during the summer, so I duly took the Electra out and low and behold, the person had left early! So, all that hanging around in the rain for nothing. Anyway, the Electra ran great, the auto climate warmed the interior up nicely and then turned down to maintain temp. The posi with the new tires bit into the wet pavement and it accelerated almost as well as my AWD.

Keep dry my friends.

Keith

• Like 1

Yesterday was the last night for one of the local cruise-ins that I go to. Very chilly, with a stiff cold breeze, but dry, and 117 cars attended, one of the best turn outs of the season.

I had the '69 Electra there, and it garnered more attention than it did last week, which was its' debut.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Saturday we took the '39 to a charity car show about 20 miles away - won a top 10 trophy and enjoyed the beautiful Fall day. Temps were in the mid 70's by the time we got home. We were the only Buick there, and for sure the only straight eight. Had lots of people ask about the ignition lever and the turn signal lever on the shift lever. Most were amazed that there was a locking steering wheel in '39.

Edited by J. Velde (see edit history)

Our local club was invited to a private GE airshow today at Red Stewart Airfield in Waynesville, Oh. 3 of us made it out in 4 cars.

Good food, free beer, old cars and upside down airplanes!  It doesn't get much better than that!

First, the '59 pre-flight, then some airfield photos. Then, my phone died...so I don't have any of the acrobatic flight maneuvers, but I should have some from my son later.

There was a Studebaker wagon with a retractable rear roof, a beautiful Hupmobile, a Rolls Royce, a '38? Special, a very nice Model T and many more in attendance.

post-85773-0-99003800-1444004559_thumb.jpost-85773-0-99584300-1444004574_thumb.jpost-85773-0-96329500-1444004591_thumb.jpost-85773-0-93551400-1444004607_thumb.jpost-85773-0-01381400-1444004616_thumb.jpost-85773-0-73040200-1444004622_thumb.jpost-85773-0-78167900-1444004978_thumb.j

• Like 2

I've had the Electra out the last two nights. Last night was a short errand, only about 12-15 miles to pick some one up and drop them off, but tonight I drove out the a nearby town, about 50-60 miles round trip to pick a few things up.

I'm running some rad cleaner through it and needed to drive for a while to get the rust and other crud loosened up. It seems as though the cooling system has not seen any attention in many years.

Hopefully all will be well, and my heater core and rad don't start to look like sieves.

Keith

It was a dreary, foggy/misty Saturday here, but I drove the '41 to a vintage rock and roll show I was playing in and parked it right out in front.  We filled the house, and I like to think that it was all 'cause of the car!  There are a few more events coming up I hope to bring it to if the weather holds out.

Edited by Eight In A Row (see edit history)

I've had the Electra out Sat and today, Sun, for a short cruise just out of the city to see a bit of fall colour, about 50-60 miles all told. So far she is running well, we have a tour to do next weekend, and I'm planning to drive it on that one.

Now I have to help my wife cook the turkey!

Keith

• Like 1

Guest Straight eight

I had the 47 out for a spin in the country.  I had just replaced the stabilizer grommets in the suspension, wow what a difference.  Sure was a jog to the memories of the 50's and cruises in the country.

Edited by Straight eight (see edit history)

240 miles in the Queen, attending the Lower Hudson Valley, NY Chapter show/picnic.  It was a beautiful day, if not a bit cool.  Also it was the rain date, so besides Hershey, several other local events impacted general attendance.  Still, a lot of beautiful Buicks, and a bunch of excellent folks and friends.   The topper was John and Bea Scheib attended.  Always great to see them.  

• Like 3

We just finished a 2300 mile trip in our not so old 2007 Lucerne.

It is fairly new to me.....I purchased it because it had the V8 and I wanted to experience performance again.

What did surprise me was the gas mileage,  it got 23+  consistently... one stretch  gave me 26.6 at an average speed of 68 mph (no town driving involved)

The book says premium but I would fill it up at about 1/2 tank and alternate between premium and midgrade.

Our 2011 Enclave with the 3.6 V6 has never gone above 24mpg... but it does have room.

Barney,  We bought the '08 Lucerne with the 3.8 V6 and have been happy with it, especially on highway trips.   95,000 miles so far but my gas mileage runs 2 to 4 mpg less than yours.  I usually hold 65  70  mph on the highways.  It never made the gas mileage I got on the last two LeSabres before it.

Drove the '56 Roadmaster out of the city to a small town to get the new cover they made for me altered. Even though they measured the car earlier, they made a couple of mistakes. Kind of annoying. Nice to drive the car, but the drive wasn't too much fun, as the only practical way to get there is to take a main highway across the North end of Toronto, a bit of a hell drive at the best of times. The traffic is just nuts on that highway, and is supposed to be one of the busiest in all of North America.

Anyway, no argument about the bad fit, they will fix, send it back to me at no charge, and give me a discount for my troubles.

Keith

Took the Electra to what is probably the last local car show for 2015.  Mills Mansion in Staatsburg, NY is a museum on the Hudson River waterfront just south of Rhinebeck, NY.   The Hudson valley car clubs put this on and it's been going for many years now, but today was a first.  It snowed on the show field.  But it was still a good time.

Once again my brother and nephew attended as well.  and we had some nice photo opportunities. 

• Like 1

No Mills Mansion for me. Too cold to drive the Chartreuse Lady there and back with only a high of 48 if we were lucky. I was in Connecticut with family over the weekend and got a very rare chance to ride a 1928 F&M Rail Road track repair car about 30 miles on the rails. Dandy Dave!  

• Like 4

Brought out the '41 this past weekend to show off as part of an city-wide architecture tour.  I was a tour guide and parked it in front of the building I was working at (a restored '20s ballroom) to add to the excitement.  Hopefully the weather holds out this weekend too.

• Like 1

Took the Electra to what is probably the last local car show for 2015.  Mills Mansion in Staatsburg, NY is a museum on the Hudson River waterfront just south of Rhinebeck, NY.   The Hudson valley car clubs put this on and it's been going for many years now, but today was a first.  It snowed on the show field.  But it was still a good time.

Once again my brother and nephew attended as well.  and we had some nice photo opportunities. 

Sorry I missed this show and LHV at Constitution Island. Two of my favorite events. This year they happened to be in conflict with the GSCA Nationals. It was a lovely week of racing and cruising. See you next time.

post-102025-0-93491000-1443377492_thumb.

• Like 1

This morning, I drove my 1937 Buick to the Red Cross to donate blood, and then across town to an AACA event. We have an annual presentation where we line up cars of all different ages in chronological order for the 5th Grade class at a local private school. The students learn about the history of automobiles in their History Class. They get about a 5 minute presentation and question and answer session with each vehicle owner before moving along to the next car. This gave them about an hour long session. The students seem to enjoy this presentation, ask lots of questions, take lots of photos, and take quite a few notes (they have a test on the subject later).  Attached is one photo from this morning that shows a few of the cars and some of the students. Later, I drove the 1937 Century to lunch and then drove it to dinner this evening. I put about 30 miles total on the car today.  

post-90592-0-20448100-1445654938_thumb.j

• Like 3

Ventured 300 miles in the Wagon yesterday, bringing my spare GS bumpers to Sandys Bumper Mart in Syracuse. I am going to miss this car terribly when it's days are done, and that day seems to be getting a lot closer with each use.   

Had the 82 Buick Riv. Ragtop out yesterday just for a spin around the neighborhood. Had to replace a left rear brake hose that failed early in the season. Special order item only. The old one collapsed internally and kept the caliper locked up. Dandy Dave!  

• Like 1