JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

Let me be the first to say..... WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!  If that ain't class???!!! I'm loving that Roadmaster Keith

post-119367-0-72323800-1434244518.jpg

Beauty,  absolute beauty. Some great scenery and landscaping to go with the Buicks. 

post-119367-0-54835800-1434244540.jpg

post-119367-0-83502500-1434244633.jpg

Thanks, Mr Earl! I love it too!

Sadly though, all those lovely young ladies are interested these days in is my car, which of course suits my wife fine!

Keith

Parkwood is a wonderful estate. I will need to get back there again someday.

Great photos Keith. That upholstery seems quite different than mine...I wonder if that's a difference from the Roadmaster or Canadian versus US built cars.

• Like 1

Derek;

It is a reproduction of the grey Bedford Cord that was used as the original material. The flash from the camera I think has rendered it lighter than it really is, too.

The original was a grey/blue, as the original colour was a medium blue, but since early in the restoration I decided to paint it another '41 colour, Royal Maroon, I felt that grey with maroon would be a more pleasing choice. According to info I got during research, a grey Bedford Cord would be correct on my '41. Due to the lack of documentation, I have not been able to determine what, if any, upholstery differences there were between the US and Canadian cars.

I gave an expanation about how I got my seat material in a thread I started about my car a while ago, it should be here on the forum if you do a search for 1941 McLaughlin Buick Roadmaster Coupe.

Keith

• Like 1

I started my '71 LeSabre last weekend after 7 months hibernation. Only took 15-20 seconds of cranking for it to turn over. Drove it out of the garage and let it run long enough to warm up. After a couple of minutes, I noticed what looked like smoke coming from under the hood by the wipers so shut it down. Didn't see anything, so started it back up. Noticed the  AC clutch turning slowly even though the AC wasn't on. Turned the AC on and it started blowing with the clutch spinning. However, it looked like it was spinning unevenly if that makes sense. Anyway, I shut the AC off and the clutch stopped, but still moved slightly. Then I noticed black particles all over the engine compartment and right front fender, like ground rubber. It appears that the metal part behind the black part is broken which is chewing up the black part - sorry I don't know the names. The AC needs to be charged/repaired so I guess I can take off the belt and be all right. Until then, I don't dare to drive it. 

John, you should start a new thread. Your post will get lost in this long thread

post-97209-0-14455000-1434337669_thumb.j

Made a 23 mile run for frozen yogurt at the local TCBY store.  Talked old cars with a guy that knew his way around many of the 50's models. He could not remember seeing a Roadmaster convertible though.

Then off to the local gas station for 91 octane, ethanol free fuel .

Dan

Edited by Caballero2 (see edit history)

Larry what year and series is this?

post-44099-143142682234.jpg

Commercial Car!! of course, what was I thinking calling it a 'truck". ;-)   Has yours ever had or any plans for installing a "roof" like the one pictured? 

post-87831-0-76643400-1434375199.jpg

I have the original top, but it is of original material and if I put it up, it would fall apart from the brittle plastic.  Keeping it wrapped up until I can come up with the $$$$$ for a new top.  Also have a windshield.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Here's a picure of me and daughter, Rebecca, in front of my '41 Roadmaster Coupe, taken during the photo shoot for her wedding. 

I drove all the Groomsmen in the Club Coupe. I've never had 5 people in that car before!

Keith

post-119367-0-29417000-1434412773_thumb.

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)

The beard is new. Mind you, a lot can happen in seven years

293 miles yesterday in my 1923 Model 45. Heath, OH to Fenton, MI. This, after 4 days of touring in the rain in SE Ohio on a VMCCA Nickel Tour. Did I mention it has been raining in Ohio? Took me three tries to find a non washed out route over the Scioto River to get past Columbus. I went thru some water even with the running boards on several occasions and those were the 'open' roads. The Buick never faultered even in biblical rain for hours.

Even though this is documented elsewhere, put 2,780 miles on the Queen traveling to the 2015 Nationals. Two headlight bulbs,  approximately 200 gallons of fuel, 3 quarts of oil,  and 12 hours where the windows did not work, but no parts were needed to correct the problem.  Otherwise,  no problems except the clock (still doesn't work) and I had trouble setting the A/C to non nipple raising temps. 

Now That's the Buick I always wanted...

• Like 1

I drove my 13 Model 31 Touring on the annual tour in Redmond Or with the Portland HCCA club last week.  All went well on the warm-up tour on Sunday and on the 100 mile tour day on Monday.  But at the Tuesday morning coffee stop, it skipped time, backfired, & blew the end out of the muffler and wouldn't start.  Evidently, the points were not adjusted correctly which caused the windings to overheat and melt some of the varnish onto the rotor.  When we stopped, it cooled and locked the rotor.  So when I tried to re-start the car, it skipped time and backfired.So it went on the trouble trailer (my own new open tilt trailer that I loaned out for the tour) & got towed to the lunch stop.  One of our members is an excellent mechanic and he helped me field strip the magneto.  We cleaned everything in gasoline, lubed & re-assembled the mag and installed it in the car with corrected timing.  It started on the second try and I drove it back to the hotel in time for dinner. 

I also drove it on the next tour day and had no issues other than running with no muffler.  Others said it was not much louder than running with the cut-out open.  We had a great time touring through some great high desert country and I learned a lot about magnetos.  I was also awarded the trouble trophy at the banquet.  The "Door Prize" is the trouble trophy that must be improved by the recipient prior to next year's annual tour where it will be giving to the next unlucky recipient. 

post-84993-0-70360400-1434901786_thumb.j

post-84993-0-20281200-1434901804_thumb.j

post-84993-0-30458200-1434901824_thumb.j

• Like 1

Had the '41 Roadmaster out for a nice 3/4 hour drive this aft., to try out the rebuilt rear carb. Needs a bit more set up for a smoother idle, but it drove very well at low and high speeds otherwise.

No pictues this time, just cruising!

Keith

• Like 1

Didn't drive a Buick this weekend but I pushed the one I've been waiting 10 years for. I first saw this car 20 years ago when I was 10. I told our neighbor I wanted his Buick. It took ten years but he finally relented and said it was mine when he kicked the bucket. It took another 10 years till he said to come and get it. I pulled it out of his garage today and pushed her to my parent's house.

It's a 46S model with a never started 30 year old rebuilt '53 263 with the original dual carbs. The car was a dealer demonstrater that his grandfather bought in 1942. I plan on doing the typical mechanical repairs/replacements that are needed from sitting for 40 years then driving her.

post-123771-0-52952400-1434946902_thumb.

• Like 2

Neat story about your car. It looks like it will be a good car.

Why don't you start a thread about the car, and post your progress. I for one would be very interested to follow your progress.

Also, I understand how long it can take it times, as I bought my '41 in very late 1991, and did not get it on the road till 2012!

Keith

I went out to the country place, and aside from cutting hay (aka mowing lawn that had been growing since some time before leaving for Springfield), got the '76 pace car going and brought it back to the city.  Put it through a car wash (probably why it rained this morning) and took it to the Sunday night cruise where the Manitoba Classic & Antique Auto Club was one of the feature clubs for the evening.  A/C is cool, not cold, the fan seems to only have one speed, but it was fun.  Suzanne drove the Electra and we managed to park side by side.

I have a photo to share...now need to go through things with the new software to figure out how to post it...sigh.

• Like 1

Me, Reet and Father Buick (visiting from California) took the Century out for a "spin" on "Father's" Day. Father B drove and was impressed with 2nd gear. I think his comment was somethin like "A Dynaflow it's not.....".

post-77380-0-00142200-1435011003_thumb.j

El Pidio, another 54 Buick Highway friend, came up from Miami and we all had a good day Saturday drinkin parts and pullin beers.

post-77380-0-70096700-1435011000_thumb.j

post-77380-0-37436300-1435011006_thumb.j

Those pesky AC lines can be tough to get too but here at Buick Gardens... a tool for every job.

post-77380-0-97875500-1435010998_thumb.j

• Like 2

Last weekend my wife and I attended the All Buick Open in Puyallup hosted by the Puget Sound Chapter of the BCA.  A beautiful day!  Roughly 350 mile round trip and the Electra performed flawlessly (only flaw was me locking the keys in the car!). 

post-95511-0-31724200-1435340882_thumb.j

post-95511-0-18089900-1435340896_thumb.j

post-95511-0-84261900-1435340933_thumb.j

• Like 1